PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

Thrak,  sorry to hear about your remodeling project on hold;  I hope the crew gets back there and they are healthy enough to finish the job. Once the vaccines are made readily available; we should see improvements to overall health in the US

We have a kitchen remodel we want to do this spring when we can open the windows and doors, since we’re in the winter brrrrr/button up the house mode right now, plus we’ll (hopefully) have our shots by then which is an added bonus since I have health issues that make us more cautious than most.  Our struggle is finding a good outfit to do the work, as it’s our first major project.  We don’t know many folks here yet so will do internet and BBB searches to get a small list.  Then there’s the new deck and screening in the porch... yikes!  Since we haven’t been cruising we’ve saved a chunk that we can put to these projects.  I’ll be looking for an Alaska cruise in 2023 - probably B2b (Coral, I hope).  Love that type of planning!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

We have a kitchen remodel we want to do this spring when we can open the windows and doors, since we’re in the winter brrrrr/button up the house mode right now, plus we’ll (hopefully) have our shots by then which is an added bonus since I have health issues that make us more cautious than most.  Our struggle is finding a good outfit to do the work, as it’s our first major project.  We don’t know many folks here yet so will do internet and BBB searches to get a small list.  Then there’s the new deck and screening in the porch... yikes!  Since we haven’t been cruising we’ve saved a chunk that we can put to these projects.  I’ll be looking for an Alaska cruise in 2023 - probably B2b (Coral, I hope).  Love that type of planning!

Kitchen remodel: Been there, done that. You have my sincere sympathy. Expensive, messy, and really inconvenient.

Deck: My wife and I did a large front deck with a ramp and did it ourselves. It took us an entire summer. A few years later the Trex that we had used (it was supposed to outlast us) deteriorated horribly. It seems the original Trex formula was faulty. We finally got it replaced but... They replaced the material with the new (supposedly wonderful) stuff but only included something like $150 for labor. That didn't even pay for the new screws. We had to dismantle the old decking and then cut and install the new stuff. That took us another summer. We're definitely not carpenters!  On the plus side the deck is really solidly built and we've had contractors comment on the quality of the job. I'm glad it was a few years ago as we couldn't do it these days. There's just no way.

These days we pay others to do things and are grateful that we are able to do so. I think we will need a new roof in the next few years. D'Oh! Now if only I could afford to have our (large) driveway torn out and replaced. I don't think that will ever happen though. It would just be toooooooooo expensive. I'd rather spend that money on cruises. 😁

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lindaru said:

We are still on the front line health care workers, first responders, and residents and staff of nursing homes here.  They have a dash board up for when it is "available for everyone else" which looks to be sometime in April, but from what I have heard, if you do not have an assigned health care provider (which I do not . . . I do not go to the doctor unless I have an urgent need and then just take whoever is available) it may be even longer, possibly as late as September.

I thought Rite Aid might be giving them out (our only pharmacy here) but seems they are not on the list.  People living here can get them when they are reminded by their health care provider, so I have no idea how to know when or where to make an appointment when it is my turn.

Guess I just do not get one?

It might be worth signing up with a care provider just to get in the cue. I have a nurse practitioner I signed up with, and it makes it easier to get things taken care of, now that I am over 50.

• Like 2

I have my fingers crossed that since the Governor might be approving everyone 65 and older (instead of 75 and older), and since they said that nearly half of our population is 65 and over, that Rite Aid might be giving out the vaccines.  They sent me an E-Mail when they were doing testing, so if so, I should be getting an E-Mail from them if they do the vaccines.

Fingers crossed!

🤞

• Like 2

Well what’s happening in Brisbane currently........

The greater Brisbane area are currently in a quick lockdown for 3 days, from 6pm Friday, 8 January to 6pm Monday, 11 January. Can leave your residence for only limited reasons, if you leave for these reasons you must where a mask 😷, this even includes in your car. This is due to Queensland 113 day end to any COVID in the community. The main reason is that the 1 case in the community has contracted the UK strain whilst working as a cleaner in one of the quarantine hotels. Our state government decided to move quick and hard to get ahead of potential outbreaks 😷. Anyone with any type of symptoms are asked to go get tested as well as those of visited the areas she had been.

I totally understand as they’re trying to keep us safe. 

• Like 2

Things suck where I am in Virginia, USA. I'm lucky to be still employed and my wife is as well. She works from home so she feels safe, but we like to sesperate our home from work.  Now home feels stressful because she is working a lot and b/c we can't go on vacations it makes it harder. She's on Zoom and other platforms all day so she doesn't want to do that with her friends and family.  Life is stressful and we miss our cruises.  We did book a cruise for Nov 2021, but it has already been cancelled once for a repositioning of the the ship and we booked another  but I fear it's going to get cancelled.  All in all, 2020 sucked big time and 2021 is looking to be the same.  I don't think the vaccine is going to make a big difference, more than likely there will be another strain or some nonsense and we'll be back to square one.  I just want to come back new.  I will say the Princess coordinator that I have been working with has been amazing and that is the one shining part of this process I do like.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chsalas said:

Things suck where I am in Virginia, USA. I'm lucky to be still employed and my wife is as well. She works from home so she feels safe, but we like to sesperate our home from work.  

I understand too well. 7 immediate family (kids / 2 sisters) furloughed in March. 5 have returned to work but 2 with new jobs. 3 are now WFH. 2 cannot find employment so 1 applied for early SSA. They say that's the wrong thing to do but grocers don't take IOUs. If you have any tips on how to separate WFH / home life / elementary zoom or homeschool PLEASE share with us!! 

We’ll Brisbane is now out of lockdown as of 6pm Monday, 11 January 2020, however there are still restrictions for the next 10 days. 1 more case with the UK strain, he is the partner of the first person now being a total of 2 people. He’s been in isolation prior to testing positive with COVID.

Either way I’m still WFH and nearly at the 11 month mark. Where I work are only allowed to have 50% in the office. Totally happy where I am WFH as I feel safe. Very grateful to have a job as there are so many who have lost their job.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Things are not to good right now. One of my best friends just came down with the virus.

He going to try this new experimental medication. It’s called an infusion. 🤞That’s all I know at this time.

Tony

I wish your friend all the very best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loki S said:

I wish your friend all the very best.

Thanks, I was told tonight that 2 people that tried this experimental medication ( infusion ) they were feeling better after 3 days and they never had to go to the hospital. It was given to them at home.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Thanks, I was told tonight that 2 people that tried this experimental medication ( infusion ) they were feeling better after 3 days and they never had to go to the hospital. It was given to them at home.

Tony

Being in your own environment and in your own bed can sometimes be of help in lifting your spirits. Lets hope for a speedy recovery or at least to begin with an increased improvement.

34 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

On a disappointing note.....at least for me....I received a cancellation of my 50 day cruise on the Discovery that was scheduled for 1-6-22.  😔

🙄 never a great sign when they push out cancelation dates but maybe its just delay in getting the ship. On a great note, I got full FCC for my last cancelation and spent them on a 9/22 TA already

On a sad note, @Lucky TGO, hoping your friend has a complete & rapid recovery

On 1/13/2021 at 10:54 AM, taznremmy said:

Tony, so sorry to hear about your friend.   Hope he starts feeling better soon.

On a disappointing note.....at least for me....I received a cancellation of my 50 day cruise on the Discovery that was scheduled for 1-6-22.  😔

Truly, not good news. What was the itinerary?

Just thought I would pop in here to let you know that our first cruise was also our last.  My husband passed suddenly from a heart attack Saturday, January 9th, here at home.

2021 sucks worse than 2020 for me.

😪

37 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

Just thought I would pop in here to let you know that our first cruise was also our last.  My husband passed suddenly from a heart attack Saturday, January 9th, here at home.

😪

❤️🙏🏽 I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

😪

I'm so sorry for your loss 😢

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

😪

I am so sorry for your loss.   Know we are thinking of you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindaru said:

😪

I'm so sorry you're going through this

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lindaru said:

😪

@Lindaru  If you enjoyed cruising, sometime in the future, you might want to look into cruising solo.  I have been doing this for years.  It is hard at first, but I have come to love and enjoy it.  It is something I can do on my own, and still feel like part of a group.  My heart breaks for you.  Hugs and prayers being sent your way.  

• Like 2