Oasis of the seas crew members positive for Covid-19

BND

18 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

200?!?!? I was just about to post that we should all pray no one out of the 51 gets critically ill.

This ... and the current Zaandam saga, what else? ...  is super bad for the industry.

The press will be all over this if death(s) occur.

They're trying to keep this quiet since Governor Disantes refused to let the Zaandam dock at Port Everglades. The crew is posting and tweeting about it. 

9 hours ago, Retired LEO said:

They're trying to keep this quiet since Governor Disantes refused to let the Zaandam dock at Port Everglades. The crew is posting and tweeting about it. 

Are these 200 sick crew on Oasis or Zaandam?

20 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Source or link to the information? 

There was a email sent out by Royal that someone on the March 9th cruise came down with it, someone posted it here.  So, it was inevitable that a crew member may catch it.

Very well could be bad info, at least I hope so.  Also seems fishy to me that they could get test results back so quickly.  According to Chris, they were doing temperature tests daily (maybe twice daily?).  It's possible that the reported numbers are for people showing symptoms rather than positive test results.  

1.  Just saw a Miami Herald article that 1 crew member from Oasis and 1 from Symphony were medically evacuated from the ships by the coast guard yesterday in Port Everglades.   Port cameras did show the ships sailing out of the port area.

2. Saw a video yesterday,  but not sure where, that heard Captain saying working on assigning new cabins.  Also telling crew about dinner.

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

One amenity I hope the crew are getting is a chance to spread out into guest rooms.  Having 2 crew in a small room is sure to promote the spread of the virus.

Roy

Much of the crew are now staying in passenger cabins. One per cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Very well could be bad info, at least I hope so.  Also seems fishy to me that they could get test results back so quickly.  According to Chris, they were doing temperature tests daily (maybe twice daily?).  It's possible that the reported numbers are for people showing symptoms rather than positive test results.  

How long was it between when they administered the tests and when they got the results back?

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

One amenity I hope the crew are getting is a chance to spread out into guest rooms.  Having 2 crew in a small room is sure to promote the spread of the virus.

Roy

The Captain addresses this in the video I posted.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

How long was it between when they administered the tests and when they got the results back?

Unclear.  Building off M8's response, they would have needed to have test kits delivered to the ship, testing performed, kits returned to shore, 2+ days for results (assuming they did not get faster responding tests).  Unless the test kits were separately transported to Oasis (possible), they would not (likely) have had enough time between dropping off crew in Miami and the positive cases being reported. 

Has Royal officially confirmed anything, or is this all just word of mouth reporting from crew onboard?

Disclaimer...I'm guessing just like most everyone else here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

1.  Just saw a Miami Herald article that 1 crew member from Oasis and 1 from Symphony were medically evacuated from the ships by the coast guard yesterday in Port Everglades.   Port cameras did show the ships sailing out of the port area.

2. Saw a video yesterday,  but not sure where, that heard Captain saying working on assigning new cabins.  Also telling crew about dinner.

Go back one page here and the video I posted is the one you're talking about.

And now this:  The Admiral of the Coast Guard's 7th District is now directing cruise ships that "loiter" (his word, not mine) offshore to seek help in the country of their flags as the Coast Guard facilities are over taxed.  The order states that "medical facilities in the Port of Miami are no longer accepting MEDEVACS patients due to limited hospital capacity and neighboring counties are expected to follow suit".  Things are getting very serious for cruise ships.

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/62863/MSIB 20-001 COVID-19 Cruiseship Medical Capabilities_Signed.29Mar20.pdf

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

And now this:  The Admiral of the Coast Guard's 7th District is now directing cruise ships that "loiter" (his word, not mine) offshore to seek help in the country of their flags as the Coast Guard facilities are over taxed.  The order states that "medical facilities in the Port of Miami are no longer accepting MEDEVACS patients due to limited hospital capacity and neighboring counties are expected to follow suit".  Things are getting very serious for cruise ships.

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/62863/MSIB 20-001 COVID-19 Cruiseship Medical Capabilities_Signed.29Mar20.pdf

I couldn’t open the link but found it on the Miami herald website. They said the coast guard has removed the page/document. 
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241656586.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a link to it: https://www.maritimesc.org/page-18081/8867715

Wow that is pretty amazing. But not a total surprise, everyone is kind of buttoning up. And as I recall, at the meeting with VP Pence, the cruise lines said that they would be responsible. I sort of doubt if the Bahamas, Panama or Liberia will offer much in the way of assistance to them.