Repositioning Ships for Operation Startup

Prost Seattle

So I’ve been thinking about the logistics of getting ships in the right places to begin operations.  If cruises start by June, I can see the logistics of getting ships into position to complete the summer schedule, but if the shut down extends into August, does it make sense to move ships for a six week season?  I’m thinking of the Solstice which is off of Sydney, to travel up to Seattle for six weeks just to return to Sydney seems illogical.  

Yes. I was wondering about that as well.

Does anyone know or have a way to list where each of the X ships are currently and where they would need to be if and when sailings resume in May?

I don't believe there would be interest in a Europe season, besides maybe fjords.  I wouldn't touch the Baltics, as you never know if Putin is giving the full story of the impact in St. Petersburg.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Desert Steve said:

I find it hard to believe that Celebrity will sail empty to Europe for a short season. What are they going to do?

We have a cruise in late August.  That's 5 months away.  They can cruise for 2-3 months then bring it back across the pond fully loaded.  That would make the best of it.  That's my hope.  🍷

When cruises slowly start to resume, I think there will be a major shake up in ship deployments and itineraries.  

Even if you have a cruise booked at a much later date and cruises have resumed by that date, I wouldn't count on going on the ship/route that you were originally booked. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

When cruises slowly start to resume, I think there will be a major shake up in ship deployments and itineraries.  

Even if you have a cruise booked at a much later date and cruises have resumed by that date, I wouldn't count on going on the ship/route that you were originally booked. 

I agree, who knows what ships or itin's will sail (and of course when).

It's too funny reading the never ending posts on CC that think or hope cruises might start in May, June, July...    Not happening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

That’s an interesting thought, we’re on a med cruise end of August, I’d hope they’d decide on any changes to the itinerary before we have to pay our balance so we can decide whether to pay or loose our deposit 

Cruise ships are now viewed as super disease cauldrons and those who use them eyed with great suspicion. No countries want them to visit so the future is very bleak. 

Edited by BigAl94

2 hours ago, marieps said:

I don't believe there would be interest in a Europe season, besides maybe fjords.  I wouldn't touch the Baltics, as you never know if Putin is giving the full story of the impact in St. Petersburg.  

Norway has closed its ports, and as much as I enjoyed our two weeks cruising there last year, sailing up and down the fjords with no ports of call would become quite boring after a few days.

1 hour ago, Lolou127 said:

That’s an interesting thought, we’re on a med cruise end of August, I’d hope they’d decide on any changes to the itinerary before we have to pay our balance so we can decide whether to pay or loose our deposit 

Ours is August 1st.

As of Monday, they extended the ’Cruise with Confidence’ to September 1st, so if you decide to cancel, you will be given a Future Cruise Certificate, instead of loosing your deposit.

Edited by upwarduk

There is one thing most are forgetting.
- First the ships need to get crew back. How will this be done as the countries where the crew come from have their own problems. Will they be isolated for 14 days upon return?
- Next is supplies such as food. One doesn't pick up the phone and order food for ships.
Ships have to have their orders placed 82 days in advance of a sailing to make sure they can get the food needed. (I know this because my other half works on the Food Supply biz that supplies RCI/Celebrity ships).
Many are not aware that most food to places such as Australia/Asia/Europe is supplied from the USA and shipped via container to the distant port. Things such as dairy and vegetables are sourced locally.
Protein is for the most part shipped from the USA because they have to meet the cruise lines health standard.

So when they start back up don't expect the same food you are used to onboard in the short term. They are going to have to take what the warehouse has in stock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Ours is August 1st.

As of Monday, they extended the ’Cruise with Confidence’ to September 1st, so if you decide to cancel, you will be given a Future Cruise Certificate, instead of loosing your deposit.

Thanks Upwarduk, the issue in doing that for us anyway, is that our current travel insurance then would not cover CV, it will only cover CV if we immediately rebook, quite a dilemma really, but one that can wait for a little while 

14 hours ago, Seacruise said:

- First the ships need to get crew back. How will this be done as the countries where the crew come from have their own problems. Will they be isolated for 14 days upon return?
- Next is supplies such as food. One doesn't pick up the phone and order food for ships.
Ships have to have their orders placed 82 days in advance of a sailing to make sure they can get the food needed. (I know this because my other half works on the Food Supply biz that supplies RCI/Celebrity ships).
Many are not aware that most food to places such as Australia/Asia/Europe is supplied from the USA and shipped via container to the distant port. Things such as dairy and vegetables are sourced locally.
Protein is for the most part shipped from the USA because they have to meet the cruise lines health standard.

So when they start back up don't expect the same food you are used to onboard in the short term. They are going to have to take what the warehouse has in stock.

Yes, and this does not factor all of the containers currently bulging with proteins scattered all over the world, especially in Europe, where the season was largely scheduled to begin in the beginning of May.  Those containers likely left Miami back in February.

15 hours ago, Provence55always said:

No cruising until a VACCINE 

Johnstone and Johnstone state they have one with testing starting in September and the hope to start inoculations at the beginning of next year, on tv two days ago.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-johnson-johnson-vows-to-make-not-for-profit-vaccine-11966292

Edited by yorky

14 hours ago, Seacruise said:

There will definitely be some major obstacles to overcome. There definitely will not be a 'rip the bandaid off' approach and start operations as usual on some future date.

With the health issues onboard some ships, some stuck at sea in political limbo, etc. it's certain there will be some regulatory changes coming to the industry. Some will probably be needed changed, some will be political overreach in an 'feel good' attempt at righting a wrong. I think we can all agree that cruising in general is going to be very different in the months to come.

4 hours ago, yorky said:

Johnstone and Johnstone state they have one with testing starting in September and the hope to start inoculations at the beginning of next year, on tv two days ago.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-johnson-johnson-vows-to-make-not-for-profit-vaccine-11966292

Thank you for posting this.....I did see and hopefully this will happen. But the world over now is trying to manage the current situation and what all governments are asking is so tough but they need everyone cooperation and to continue with social destining and self isolation. The hospitals are at capacity and we need to get this right over the next few months.  The medical profession are amazing and they are making huge sacrifices to save thousands while putting themselves in danger and their families.

Keep safe everyone.