Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

My son, who has a PhD in O Chem may disagree on it being worthless, although it is for some fields.

Whenever I attempted to read any of his papers, I may as well have been trying to read Greek.  I was over my head.  It has served him well in his field. His wife also has a PhD in O Chem, and it has served her well too.

I just tune them out when they discuss work.

We have friends who have doctorates in organic chemistry and they would agree with you .  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Oh, how I long to be there right now!  My next cruise isn't until March for our Panama Cruise

This is also the corridor I will be walking down on our Bella cruise!

I'm glad you had a great time with your friends at your Reunion.  We had a decent turnout for our 50th High School Reunion, although a few of the girls did have some health issues.

Tonight is Jim's High School Reunion, which he just realized a few days ago...he paid for it a year ago.  He won't be going after all, since our daughter will be arriving from Connecticut to help celebrate my Birthday this evening with our daughters and grandchildren.

Happy Birthday! Having your family help celebrate is the best gift!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So last night we watched this week’s episode of Below Deck Down Under. I had heard through social media and even some national News stories on what happened so I knew going into it what was going to happen. I guess that’s the problem with watching the show later than it’s airdate.

All I can say is WOW! What an intense episode. I am really happy how Captain Jason and Aiesha handled everything. Kudos to the producer who is supposed to stay out of sight and not interfere do the opposite. Do I think Luke is a serial rapist? No but what he did was so over the line he deserved to be fired. I never liked Laura from day one. Her arrogance and self entitlement was nauseating. 

Hopefully Gary from BD Sailing was watching. He is just about as bad or maybe worse than Luke in crossing the line for sexual harassment.

Not too excited while watching the preview of the second half of the season to see Jao come onboard. I don’t care for him either. And why is he coming in as a bosom? I thought he got his Captains license?

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You mean it is possible to balance a check book without knowing how to do derivatives and quadratic equations?

It's downright scary how many adults have taken Calculus but can't figure the square footage of a room's walls so they know how much paint to purchase!!!

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Kinda like Calculus and Trigonometry?  Basic algebra and geometry should be plenty of math for the general public, yet schools are requiring higher math for EVERYONE regardless of whether it's relevant to their future or not.  

Calculus and Triggy are verrrry important if you are a rocket scientist. 

• Haha 4

I learnt something from our cabin steward yesterday.  I was chatting with him and I asked how the one a day servicing worked for him. He told me that it depends sailing to sailing, but worst days are turnaround days.

He said that this sailing he has 24 cabins to do daily. No assistants. 21 of them want morning service 3 want evening. So he is very busy during his mornings...8.30 to 12.30 and has to go beyond 12.30 most of the time. On turnaround he and colleagues have to ask other colleagues who are free and gave to pay them something from their own pockets to help them. I did not know that. He also said that they reduced the staff by 30 members in his department when they started this one a day servicing. It should have been the opposite but no they cut down 30 employees. I asked if his bosses know about him paying from his pocket for assistance. He said yes. I told him I will put it in the survey. He said please do so that they can do something to hire more help in that department.

More and more people want to get onboard earlier and earlier and it is the worst nightmare for cleaning crew when they are one with no assistant and they end up paying from their pockets. I think Royal should hire more there. I personally have no problem with one time cleaning but just relating something I learnt.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

20 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It's downright scary how many adults have taken Calculus but can't figure the square footage of a room's walls so they know how much paint to purchase!!!

I was never good at math and dropped my calculus class as I could never understand anything. Now mind you I can write an orchestral music score but math has never been my strong suit.

• Like 5

Internet on this ship is EXCELLENT.

Food is good. No grumbles here.

Plenty of cream, milk halfnhalf, or white liquid..😅

Real? Don't know don't care 😊 ...not the Bee!!!

Shows are OK. Nothing I wrote home about. I like the types of Mamma Mia and WWRY and nothing like that here, but I am not starved of entertainment.

Packing aka randomly throwing clothes in suitcase will begin this evening. I hate that part.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They made that same announcement on our flight from YYZ to LAX as there were 60 of us with a tight connection to HNL.  Not one person remained seated.  Not sure if those at the back of the plane made their connection or not.  Common courtesy was non existent that day.

I’ve experienced this as well. People either pay no attention to the request or just don’t care. Very inconsiderate. Unfortunately that seems to be the norm in today’s society.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@Sunshine3601 When in September is your cruise out of Tampa?

We sail on Tuesday, Sept 12th for 12 nights.    It is a repo cruise and we go to the ABC islands, Grand Cayman and CocoCay and then make our way up the east coast and get off in Boston.   Serenade will then do their NE/Canada fall cruises.

I cannot wait!!!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

On SW, we have been known to upgrade to the A1 to A15 boarding group.  We did that on our trip home from Myrtle Beach this summer, because our assigned boarding group was so low that our grandkids would have been sitting with strangers.

Doesn't Southwest still have the thing where families with young children 6 and under board first right after Group A and before Group B.

Your grandkids are probably older then 6 though right?

Edited by Jimbo

38 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I learnt something from our cabin steward yesterday.  I was chatting with him and I asked how the one a day servicing worked for him. He told me that it depends sailing to sailing, but worst days are turnaround days.

He said that this sailing he has 24 cabins to do daily. No assistants. 21 of them want morning service 3 want evening. So he is very busy during his mornings...8.30 to 12.30 and has to go beyond 12.30 most of the time. On turnaround he and colleagues have to ask other colleagues who are free and gave to pay them something from their own pockets to help them. I did not know that. He also said that they reduced the staff by 30 members in his department when they started this one a day servicing. It should have been the opposite but no they cut down 30 employees. I asked if his bosses know about him paying from his pocket for assistance. He said yes. I told him I will put it in the survey. He said please do so that they can do something to hire more help in that department.

More and more people want to get onboard earlier and earlier and it is the worst nightmare for cleaning crew when they are one with no assistant and they end up paying from their pockets. I think Royal should hire more there. I personally have no problem with one time cleaning but just relating something I learnt.

That is not right that they have to pay out of their own pocket to get help!     

We have been asking for evening service and our room stewards are always happy to hear that.  Now makes sense why they were happy to hear that.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Luckynana Happy Birthday Maryann! You are sharing the day with Finnley's first birthday!  

We celebrated her birthday Monday.   We are all on the road today. 

image.thumb.png.df368bf0cee92e3b76f8b9c37c407ed5.png

image.thumb.png.766fcbd68d03d22fa3a88c4fcb215bb9.png

We celebrated a few other August birthdays later in the week.  The kids love to do it at Lakeside. 

Oops.   I just noticed word correction changed Finnley to one n and it will not let me edit.

Finnley has been taken care of at our house throughout the week, while mom worked, since she was born.  Monday she starts daycare.   It will be a sad week.  We love having her.  We will still have her on Fridays.   It will help us with our withdrawal.   At least Sharon can sleep in when she needs to now.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Doesn't Southwest still have the thing where families with young children 6 and under board first right after Group A and before Group B.

Your grandkids are probably older then 6 though right?

They may still have that but I personally wouldn't want to be separated from any child 12 or younger.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

It’s so nice to reunite with old friends. 
Brung able to pick right back up like there hadn’t been a gap in the conversation is pure joy!

In a few weeks a guy who I have been friends with since 1947 but we only communicate by phone and e-mail is coming to NY from his home in Oregon and will be visiting me.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Luckynana Happy Birthday Maryann! You are sharing the day with Finnley's first birthday!  

We celebrated her birthday Monday.   We are all on the road today. 

image.thumb.png.df368bf0cee92e3b76f8b9c37c407ed5.png

image.thumb.png.766fcbd68d03d22fa3a88c4fcb215bb9.png

We celebrated a few other August birthdays later in the week.  The kids love to do it at Lakeside. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FINNLEY!!!    Love the photos of all the sweet babes.    Especially love silly Caden wearing the hats on his shoulders

• Haha 1

In 1965 a friend of mine left NYC to take a job as a college Professor in Hawaii.Eight years ago he came to NY to speak at a symposium and met me and another longtime friend for lunch.He brought pictures and told us about how wonderful it is to live in Maui.

He retired a few years ago and is still living there.I have been checking the online lists of residents who are missing but so far he is not on the list.

• Like 3