Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

That's why I asked the vet for an anti-anxiety medication versus a tranquilizer... I couldn't imagine the mental anguish Dexy would experience if he could feel his fear but was too knocked out to do anything about it (like hide in the basement, etc.) because of a tranquilizer.

The Xanax works well, because it calms him down without knocking him out, so he's still able to function at a basic level. I recommend everyone with an anxious dog discuss it with their vet!

Thank you, Debbie!😍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Wow Greg...glad that you're OK.  Definitely time to see your doctor.  Everyone is different but I use a combo of Amlodipine and Losartan that does a great job of controlling my BP with almost no side effects.  I just need to careful about not getting out of bed too quickly in the middle of the night or I'll get dizzy.  

I'm always amazed about the topics that pop up in this thread. 🙂

I’m now on Sotalol to control AFib, and Diltiazam and Losartan for blood pressure. 
Pacemaker to keep my heart rate from dropping too low. 
The fun part is cutting the tiny Losartan in half for a dosage of 12.5. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie takes amlodioine besylate also.  Sometime the pressure goes too low.  It is a scary thing, the lightheaded thing.   Take care of yourself.

My pressure was too low a few days last week.I was going to call my doctor but the next day and days after it was good.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well yesterday was a stressful day. We went to a celebration of life for our dear friends mother. I did not eat  lunch but while we were there started to get light headed. I decided to sit down for awhile and apparently someone saw my eyes roll back into my head and I think I passed out. Next thing I’m doing is laying on floor talking to paramedics. I started feeling better after drinking some water and did not want to be taken to the hospital. Linda and the others thought otherwise. So off I went. The paramedics were really nice including the one riding with me who loves to cruise Royal Caribbean too. Got fluids in the ER and some blood work done. The doctor said my potassium levels were real low and probably was the culprit. Now that I think about it this was most likely the cause of my Galveston Cruise episode where I fainted and fell and broke my collarbone. I was also dehydrated and that was caused by my blood pressure medicine having a diuretic in it so I pee more than I put in. So it looks like more bananas will be in my diet. I was extremely embarrassed that it happened but all my friends where so caring and concerned it was nice of them. I’m fine today just a little tired. The staff and doctors at the hospital were great I was in and out after a couple of hours. I’m so glad it wasn’t serious and that it’s treatable with diet. Banana colada anyone????

cheers,

Oh Greg, I'm sorry to hear this and thank goodness you didn't hurt yourself when you want down. 

But good tha it was easily diagnosed and easily treatable. 

A good early wake up call that has given you the heads up 

We never seemed to get my mum's BP meds right. She was always fainting especially in church with all the sitting and standing and sitting again. In the end I had to go with her . (Because of her dementia she refused to stay sitting when everyone else stood and refused to stay at home )

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

@dani negreanu Dani, a lovely picture of some lovely ladies!  I love how the years just melt away when getting together with long time friends.

My NY friends never text or send me emails.  Nothing but phone chats for us, some that last well over an hour.  

I have school friends living on the west coast .We usually have two hour conversations .Three years ago I reconnected with a “lost” friend who lives in LI and we often have two hour phone conversations because we had a gap of 50 years without contact.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you Sue!

Yes I hate the diuretic meds. It’s hard to get a good nights sleep as I’m always getting up to go to the bathroom. 

We are trying to access the report now. No I’m not on Lasix but I agree it’s time to have that talk with my primary care doctor. Linda’s mother had potassium issues and you are right they did a number on her. She would get delusional. At first Linda that she was having a stroke. Pretty scary.

Greg, I’m sorry you had your episode in front of your friends, but you got help fast, which cancels out the embarrassment!

Low potassium is sneaky. 
People ignore a little lightheadedness and wind up having an accident. 

So you chose the location wisely. 
And think about it; bananas taste really good in a banana split!

• Like 6

Well yesterday was a stressful day. We went to a celebration of life for our dear friends mother. I did not eat  lunch but while we were there started to get light headed. I decided to sit down for awhile and apparently someone saw my eyes roll back into my head and I think I passed out. Next thing I’m doing is laying on floor talking to paramedics. I started feeling better after drinking some water and did not want to be taken to the hospital. Linda and the others thought otherwise. So off I went. The paramedics were really nice including the one riding with me who loves to cruise Royal Caribbean too. Got fluids in the ER and some blood work done. The doctor said my potassium levels were real low and probably was the culprit. Now that I think about it this was most likely the cause of my Galveston Cruise episode where I fainted and fell and broke my collarbone. I was also dehydrated and that was caused by my blood pressure medicine having a diuretic in it so I pee more than I put in. So it looks like more bananas will be in my diet. I was extremely embarrassed that it happened but all my friends where so caring and concerned it was nice of them. I’m fine today just a little tired. The staff and doctors at the hospital were great I was in and out after a couple of hours. I’m so glad it wasn’t serious and that it’s treatable with diet. Banana colada anyone????

cheers,

Gosh all that sounds very worrying.  I hope that you are feeling better. 

I also want to thank you for raising the issue of blood pressure meds.  Earlier in te year I found that my blood pressure was high.  I was a little affronted because my blood pressure had always been low.  Anyway I have lost about 10 lb and can get a bit lower, I have reduced my alcohol consumption which had crept up to daily while I was overworking, Dr told me that my exercise routine of lots of walking was not enough - I have added in some flights of steps and hills, I am also adding in some cardio workouts and planks.  Dr said he had confidence that lifestyle changes would work for me.  Every now and again I waver - starting planks at 64 yrs is not easy.   I think to myself “why not go for meds like so many others do?”.  There is not even a cost implication, I am am a pensioner so I don’t pay for meds or health care.  

You started a conversation that has demonstrated why I need to try a bit harder (or at least to keep trying).  Thank you and keep eating the bananas.  

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I also want to thank you for raising the issue of blood pressure meds.  Earlier in te year I found that my blood pressure was high.  I was a little affronted because my blood pressure had always been low.  Anyway I have lost about 10 lb and can get a bit lower, I have reduced my alcohol consumption which had crept up to daily while I was overworking, Dr told me that my exercise routine of lots of walking was not enough - I have added in some flights of steps and hills, I am also adding in some cardio workouts and planks.  Dr said he had confidence that lifestyle changes would work for me.  Every now and again I waver - starting planks at 64 yrs is not easy.   I think to myself “why not go for meds like so many others do?”.  There is not even a cost implication, I am am a pensioner so I don’t pay for meds or health care.  

You started a conversation that has demonstrated why I need to try a bit harder (or at least to keep trying).  Thank you and keep eating the bananas.  

Aqua aerobics is a good non impact cardio workout. I try to fo a class 3 times a week and finish off with some lengths 

• Like 6

We are trying to access the report now. No I’m not on Lasix but I agree it’s time to have that talk with my primary care doctor. Linda’s mother had potassium issues and you are right they did a number on her. She would get delusional. At first Linda that she was having a stroke. Pretty scary.

Phew!  Glad to hear you're okay after being checked out in the hospital.  I was rushed to the hospital a few years ago when the paramedics thought I was having a stroke.   One of the tests in the hospital showed that my potassium level was pretty low.  I'm glad Linda insisted you go by ambulance.  So much quicker!

Good to hear that your knee is responding to your injection and that you are feeling so much better.  Isn't it weird, though,  what we go through...your knee was feeling better, and then, so not related, you passed out due to something else going on in your body.🤔  We can't make these things up!!!😉 

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I worry about Jack, who is a type 2 diabetic on Ozempic which kills his appetite.  I talk myself blue to get him to eat on a regular basis, so important for a diabetic.  BTW, he lost 20 pounds and looks and feels wonderful and has none of the stomach issues associated with the drug.  AND his lab #s are good!

Bonnie, I'm glad to hear that Jack is doing so well and lost 20 pounds and feeling so well!

I don't think we ever stop worrying about our spouse and their health issues.  Especially when some of our spouses have several health issues...not to mention...isn't it our job to worry??🤔🤨

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I’m now on Sotalol to control AFib, and Diltiazam and Losartan for blood pressure. 
Pacemaker to keep my heart rate from dropping too low. 
The fun part is cutting the tiny Losartan in half for a dosage of 12.5. 

When I sold pharmacy products pill cutters were popular.

Maybe your pharmacist will either cut them for you or sell you a pill cutter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Dani, I think bananas and a potassium vitamin may be a daily routine now. Great picture of you girls. That's the way my close high school friends are. We may only see each other once a year but pick it right up like time hasn't flown by at all.

My kidney doctor told me to avoid bananas . My regular doctor gave me potassium pills and something else for my feet swelling when I cruise. About ten years ago I started passing out after having a coughing fit , this happen several times , good thing I would make sure I was sitting or in bed when coughing fit started, wife insisted on me going to the hospital for test after two days and several tests none of the doctors could find anything wrong , my regular doctor thought it was allergies, got shots for a couple of years then stopped, coughing ended shortly after hospital visit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have school friends living on the west coast .We usually have two hour conversations .Three years ago I reconnected with a “lost” friend who lives in LI and we often have two hour phone conversations because we had a gap of 50 years without contact.

Lenny it is good to hear that you have so many friends. You are very blessed in that department.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

@Luckynana

Maryanne, when you come down to Naples in the winter, do you have any cruises booked on Royal or Celebrity from Florida during your stay here?

I hope you do and I hope we see you on one!

Hi Arzeena!   Thank you!   We just have one cruise booked, Celebrity Beyond on March 11, Panama Canal. Jennifer and Dave, as well as Graham and Nikki will also be on this cruise, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with them for a drink or two...or three...

Charlie takes amlodioine besylate also.  Sometime the pressure goes too low.  It is a scary thing, the lightheaded thing.   Take care of yourself.

How is Charlie feeling these day, Marietta??  

• Like 4

Just now, Arzeena said:

Lenny it is good to hear that you have so many friends. You are very blessed in that department.

That,Arzeena is so very true.Many people (and I do too) go to HS and college reunions. I believe that I am one of very few who has been to three Elementary school reunions .The first one that I attended was in 2006 .People came from all over the world .

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Phew!  Glad to hear you're okay after being checked out in the hospital.  I was rushed to the hospital a few years ago when the paramedics thought I was having a stroke.   One of the tests in the hospital showed that my potassium level was pretty low.  I'm glad Linda insisted you go by ambulance.  So much quicker!

Good to hear that your knee is responding to your injection and that you are feeling so much better.  Isn't it weird, though,  what we go through...your knee was feeling better, and then, so not related, you passed out due to something else going on in your body.🤔  We can't make these things up!!!😉 

Bonnie, I'm glad to hear that Jack is doing so well and lost 20 pounds and feeling so well!

I don't think we ever stop worrying about our spouse and their health issues.  Especially when some of our spouses have several health issues...not to mention...isn't it our job to worry??🤔🤨

When I had my heart attack 44 months ago my face was pale and waxy and Pauline insisted I went to ER.

I took 3 full strength aspirin at home which saved my heart from damage and I went straight into cardiac care at the ER.

Watching Judge Judy last week one of the defendants face was white and Pauline said straight away he had cancer.

Minutes later he told Judge Judy he had stage 4 cancer.

You ladies certainly seem to know.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

When I sold pharmacy products pill cutters were popular.

Maybe your pharmacist will either cut them for you or sell you a pill cutter.

My last job was working for a Medical Advertising company .Much of my time was attending Trade shows all over the east coast of the US.I often came home with many shopping bags filled with product samples.I have enough pill cutters to last a lifetime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Linda saw the hand doctor yesterday and he was quite pleased. She know doesn’t have to wear a brace and can start physical therapy in a couple of weeks.

Good for Linda!  She must feel wonderful, just knowing that she can now start PT and begin to feel normal again!

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Following on this "tread", after more than 5 months, our group of HS friends got together again, and the conversation flowed like it was yesterday we last spoke 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.8ea419b500181d6576777f35b78ae767.jpeg

More great memories being made with your dear friends, Dani.  Love the picture;  I also love that you don't have your shoes on at the table...lol!  that would be me!!😁

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Our Ladies sadly lost 1-0 to Spain in the Ladies world cup football final today.

It is 65°F, sunny and windy now at 17.25pm.

I saw that, and immediately thought of you, Graham.  Bummer.  There's always next year!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Luckynana said:

Good for Linda!  She must feel wonderful, just knowing that she can now start PT and begin to feel normal again!

More great memories being made with your dear friends, Dani.  Love the picture;  I also love that you don't have your shoes on at the table...lol!  that would be me!!😁

I saw that, and immediately thought of you, Graham.  Bummer.  There's always next year!!

Thank you Lenny.

The world cups usually take place every 4 years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Hi Arzeena!   Thank you!   We just have one cruise booked, Celebrity Beyond on March 11, Panama Canal. Jennifer and Dave, as well as Graham and Nikki will also be on this cruise, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with them for a drink or two...or three...

13 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Still can’t get the meds adjusted properly.  He has so many things going on it gets frustrating at times.  Thanks for asking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Sea DogI'm still waiting for a potassium level.

We tried to access the portal and so far the report is not there. We put in a request. So I hopeful we will get it by tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for caring. I will be anxious to hear your opinion.

I was at least smart enough to know I needed to sit down. Fainting standing up is no fun as evident from my broken collarbone.

35 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Oh Greg, I'm sorry to hear this and thank goodness you didn't hurt yourself when you want down. 

But good tha it was easily diagnosed and easily treatable. 

A good early wake up call that has given you the heads up 

We never seemed to get my mum's BP meds right. She was always fainting especially in church with all the sitting and standing and sitting again. In the end I had to go with her . (Because of her dementia she refused to stay sitting when everyone else stood and refused to stay at home )

Thanks Sue!

32 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Greg, I’m sorry you had your episode in front of your friends, but you got help fast, which cancels out the embarrassment!

Low potassium is sneaky. 
People ignore a little lightheadedness and wind up having an accident. 

So you chose the location wisely. 
And think about it; bananas taste really good in a banana split!

Banana Split does sound good. Thanks Mimi!

27 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Will do thank you for your comments!

21 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Always seems like it’s something as we get older.

19 minutes ago, George C said:

My kidney doctor told me to avoid bananas . My regular doctor gave me potassium pills and something else for my feet swelling when I cruise. About ten years ago I started passing out after having a coughing fit , this happen several times , good thing I would make sure I was sitting or in bed when coughing fit started, wife insisted on me going to the hospital for test after two days and several tests none of the doctors could find anything wrong , my regular doctor thought it was allergies, got shots for a couple of years then stopped, coughing ended shortly after hospital visit. 

If I eat too many bananas it upsets my stomach. I’ll need to find the right balance.

4 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Yes she is feeling pretty good about her hand now as it was so painful before.

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Sea Dog

Greg, glad you are OK.  I understand not wanting to go to the ER.  I have been there but it looks like it was a good choice.   I hope you get it all under control before the next cruise.   I would hate for you to go through this at sea.

Yes exactly John. I wouldn’t want to ruin my cruise for anything.

• Like 6

About the portal to access reports.....Some practitioners do not let their patients access reports till they follow up with them or till they (the Dr) have read the report and allowed access. IMHO Stupid to the core but they say that patients start googling their numbers and come armed with a million questions if they have read their reports before their followup after the test. I do not support this and believe that patients should have all time access to their reports.

• Like 6

We get Charlie’s reports before his doctors sometimes!  Not always a good thing.  When he was in Manhattan I followed him through all his test results.  One time an MRI seemed concerning but the doctor went through it and explained some of the things that We weren’t sure about.  Sometimes we 

worry about things that are normal.  I still like having the reports however.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

About the portal to access reports.....Some practitioners do not let their patients access reports till they follow up with them or till they (the Dr) have read the report and allowed access. IMHO Stupid to the core but they say that patients start googling their numbers and come armed with a million questions if they have read their reports before their followup after the test. I do not support this and believe that patients should have all time access to their reports.

When Linda asked the ER doctor about getting a copy of the report he gave her a card with a web address. We had to register and now it just says report pending. Not sure what’s taking so long.

• Like 1