Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

So after feeling a bit rough yesterday, I checked with a covid tests today and yeap, I'm positive 😷 feel tired and like I have a bad cold.

We went out with good friends on the boat on Saturday so I'm worried now I may of passed it onto them. 

Gary is OK at mo.

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, sgmn said:

So after feeling a bit rough yesterday, I checked with a covid tests today and yeap, I'm positive 😷 feel tired and like I have a bad cold.

We went out with good friends on the boat on Saturday so I'm worried now I may of passed it onto them. 

Gary is OK at mo.

I hope you are well soon Sue.

prayer-for.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I can’t believe how many here are on blood pressure meds, with talks about highs and lows.  I had to start a couple meds last spring, but had to go off one due to side effects.  I don’t have another appointment with my cardiologist until the end of October, so maybe I am being a little crazy in taking and recording blood pressure readings a couple times a day.  Yes, I have spreadsheets that have the time of day of the readings, along with pulse rate,  I can tell you what the highs and lows were for each month, as well as the averages.  I know the doctor will take one look at all the data, and will probably throw it away.

I guess I don’t know why bp fluctuates so much, so that will be one of my questions at my appointment. 

You aren't crazy AT ALL for tracking your BP. Your blood pressure can vary based on hormones, activity level, emotional situations, dietary issues, pain level, etc. 

My surrogate mother has a complicated medical history, with a traumatic brain injury, a stroke, COPD, pulmonary hypertension, heart failure, and multiple heart attacks.  Her previous PCP totally mismanaged her hypertension and caused significant kidney damage, too.  She's now on multiple medications for her heart and blood pressure, and it took ages and ages to figure out how exactly each medication affected her and for how long.  

She kept a log of what time she took each med and what her blood pressure was before the med and throughout the day after taking each med, and we figured out which ones she has to take at what times of the day to keep her BP and heartrate within acceptable ranges at all times of the day. 

I keep the list on my phone, too, so if she's ever admitted to the hospital I can make sure that they time her medications appropriately so they don't kill her! LOL  Her cardiologist is associated with the hospital that she goes to, but the computer system only has a list of what meds/doses she takes and how many times a day, but not the timing of each med. 

She has certain meds she takes first thing in the morning, others at mid-day, others at dinnertime, and others in the evening.  Some are once a day, some are twice a day.  Taking them at different times than the ones we have dialed in can result in a dangerously low heartrate, a dangerously low blood pressure, or both.  

Every body is unique, so it makes sense to track your BP meds and your BP readings to find out what method will keep your BP in an acceptable range throughout the day, without it going too low or too high.

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Sounds fabulous. My gym has a club within a club for over '60s, called The Invincibles. They have additional low impact classes just for them and meet up for theatre trips and outings. They also organise holidays away. 

They are very lively bunch, full of fun.  Apparently once you hit 90 the gym is free !!

Love the name The Invincibles.  If you can still go to the gym regularly at 90, I think you should be rewarded.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, George C said:

I never even had a driver’s license in New York, when the company I worked for moved me to Dallas they paid for my training for my license and I moved to Dallas with a temporary driver’s licenses with a stamp saying it was real , I was almost surprised that hertz gave me a car and I was on a major freeway going to my hotel . I was in my early 30’s at the time. 

I grew up om a working farm in Pa.  First you learned how to walk. Then you learned how to drive.  We were making hay one day, I was just a little guy at the time. Dad put me on the seat of the tractor, put into low gear, with one instruction, don't run over the hay bales, while he and my cousin loaded the hay on the wagon I was pulling.  Wasn't big enough yet yo work the clutch and brakes yet. It was a flat field. By the time I was a teenager, i was driving those tractors on the highways, usually towing something.  I have no idea what Pa. laws are like now, but farm tractors were not licensed, did not require drivers license to operate on public highways. Of course, they would only go about 15mph. Our trucks were licensed, so I couldn't drive them on highways till I had my DL at 16. 

You learned a lot.  Pa. fields where we lived were very hilly, and often you would have a tractor with a wagon load of hay you have to go down the hill. And the load was more than the tractor could handle, and the wheels started sliding. You learned to find a path to steer and not have the load fall off the wagon, because you would have to reload the wagon all by yourself if it did.

It was a good driving school. 

• Like 13

56 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Gary is OK at mo.

Sorry you tested positive Sue.  Hope your friends are ok & Gary continues to be ok.

My friend was saying on the weekend, we will probably have an uptick in cases very soon with all the FIFA World Cup celebrations here in Sydney.

• Thanks 1

What is it with P-plate drivers and Ute drivers, driving too close??  Tonight after dinner I drive to Dads and had a Ute driver up my backside in a residential area where I am doing the speed limit.

Last Monday eve, I had the exact same thing happen, same time of night, different residential area, me driving at the speed limit and I had a p-plater right up my backside.  

And no-one seems to understand that a STOP sign means stop.

Ugh.  Sorry, rant over.

• Like 5

On 8/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Skinny little Lucy has been on her hyperthyroid Rx cream for a week now. Hopefully, she will fill out a little in the next few months so her bones won’t be so prominent.

IMG_0508.thumb.jpeg.336782d8fe54e06eb7e4a831f6952f1f.jpeg

Your Lucy sure looks like ours.  Hope she’s feeling better. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gary is OK at mo.

I am hearing of a number of people getting covid lately, hoping your symptoms stay minor.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Same for you Debbie.

Tomorrow is our 42nd wedding anniversary.

Another August anniversary, hoping your day is wonderful.  Happy Anniversary tomorrow 💖🥂

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do.  I can’t believe how many pages there are from yesterday.

@Sea Dog Greg, sorry to read about your episode, but glad you got checked out.

I can’t believe how many here are on blood pressure meds, with talks about highs and lows.  I had to start a couple meds last spring, but had to go off one due to side effects.  I don’t have another appointment with my cardiologist until the end of October, so maybe I am being a little crazy in taking and recording blood pressure readings a couple times a day.  Yes, I have spreadsheets that have the time of day of the readings, along with pulse rate,  I can tell you what the highs and lows were for each month, as well as the averages.  I know the doctor will take one look at all the data, and will probably throw it away.

I guess I don’t know why bp fluctuates so much, so that will be one of my questions at my appointment. 

Thanks Mark! Good for you for tracking your blood pressure.

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gary is OK at mo.

So Sorry Sue. I’m glad your symptoms are not severe. Get well soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Your Lucy sure looks like ours.  Hope she’s feeling better. 

Lucy's are the best! ❤️ Our son was reading the Chronicles of Narnia when we got her, so that influenced the name he chose. I love it. It really suits her. The rescue told us that she had had TWO previous homes before ours (why anyone would return her, I cannot imagine - she is so sweet), and her name before that was "Kitty". She deserves a real name and a real forever home, which she has now. 

I always look forward to pics of your Lucy girl.

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Keksie said:

As promised the pictures of the wedding shawl.  I am a tad tired.  We have 130 give or take patients at the refuge and a batch of new interns.  I got there at 9 and left at 5:30 with a 15 min. lunch.  I feel old now.  Sigh.

Resized_20230817_163418.thumb.jpeg.987bb62d4b75b291c864deb7b7784a80.jpeg

Resized_20230817_163455.thumb.jpeg.d4d61dde9e1216084ef6183913747d31.jpeg

So lovely! Are you wearing it, or is the bride wearing it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I don’t panic anymore as I have learned that the doctors will interpret anything we don’t understand.  Sometimes the wording is so technical we don’t have a clue.  I admit when we first started getting results it was a bit daunting, now, not so much. Waiting forever for a call about the results is worse than not having them show up in the app.  

I'm similar.  I'd rather see the results as soon as they are available and do my own research.  Doctors are human and can make mistakes, and I like to be armed with knowledge when talking to my doctor.  I'm also a left brained engineer who can look at things without (too much) emotion.  And I know that a doctor has a LOT more knowledge and experience than me Googling.  I'll wait until after a conversation with a doctor before drawing any conclusions.  Not everyone can be that "analytical" though.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

I grew up om a working farm in Pa.  First you learned how to walk. Then you learned how to drive.  We were making hay one day, I was just a little guy at the time. Dad put me on the seat of the tractor, put into low gear, with one instruction, don't run over the hay bales, while he and my cousin loaded the hay on the wagon I was pulling.  Wasn't big enough yet yo work the clutch and brakes yet. It was a flat field. By the time I was a teenager, i was driving those tractors on the highways, usually towing something.  I have no idea what Pa. laws are like now, but farm tractors were not licensed, did not require drivers license to operate on public highways. Of course, they would only go about 15mph. Our trucks were licensed, so I couldn't drive them on highways till I had my DL at 16. 

You learned a lot.  Pa. fields where we lived were very hilly, and often you would have a tractor with a wagon load of hay you have to go down the hill. And the load was more than the tractor could handle, and the wheels started sliding. You learned to find a path to steer and not have the load fall off the wagon, because you would have to reload the wagon all by yourself if it did.

It was a good driving school. 

That’s a great story. It’s basically how I started, but on a lawn mover at 10.  You learn quickly, but you are out in the open. Our fastest tractor goes 23mph in road gear. Now there are ones that have road gears capable of 40mph. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gary is OK at mo.

Oh dear. Hope you feel better soon!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Step into the patients' shoes? I'm hardly new to practicing medicine. I've been taking care of multi generations of families for years. I know well the stresses that patients go through. Opening a report at 9:00 at night with a positive cancer diagnosis does no one any good. This isn't a debate I going to have....

Fortunately, people who don't like how I practice have other choices.

You do whatever you do and thank you for what you do. Doesn't make another professional wrong. That 9 pm diagnosis sometimes saves a life! Will not go into details here, as we are not adversaires, just two people with different opinions and views on situation handling.

You are absolutely right about people having other choices.
No invitations for debates here......it's not Sorrento's pizza which is a forever entertaining debate!

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gary is OK at mo.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Lucy's are the best! ❤️ Our son was reading the Chronicles of Narnia when we got her, so that influenced the name he chose. I love it. It really suits her. The rescue told us that she had had TWO previous homes before ours (why anyone would return her, I cannot imagine - she is so sweet), and her name before that was "Kitty". She deserves a real name and a real forever home, which she has now. 

I always look forward to pics of your Lucy girl.

Sounds like your Lucy found the right home this time. This was out Lucy when I lit the BBQ yesterday.

IMG_1254.thumb.jpeg.a16ccbfb604243d6253c6fba2df4d6ca.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

That’s a great story. It’s basically how I started, but on a lawn mover at 10.  You learn quickly, but you are out in the open. Our fastest tractor goes 23mph in road gear. Now there are ones that have road gears capable of 40mph. 

The last tractor we had had much larger wheels, probably geared the same as the others, but with bigger wheels, 23mph sounds about right.

One of my driving lessons was always be mindful of the traffic behind you, and pull over when you can and allow them to pass.

We frequently drive across Fl, to the kids house on the west coast, mostly country roads. Tractor driver here did not get  that same lesson. They could care less how much traffic was back there.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 3