Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Even though I post on here and send an occasional e-mail the keys on my computer and iPad are very difficult for me to use because I have Dupuytren’s Contracture.Talking on a phone or voice talking on line is very difficult because of hand and face tremors.Speakerfone is also difficult because I slur my speech and my words do not always come our clear.My Stage 4 Parkinsons is now nearly Stage 5 and everything is getting worse.That is why I am not on line as much as I used to be.

Lenny, I clicked the "Like" button but it was really just to acknowledge your post. I admire your perseverance in continuing to stay connected & involved despite the medical hardships you face.  I hope you can continue that for a long time.

• Like 14

Lenny- Thank you for the good thoughts about sailing to Quebec.

The first Cunard ship that I was “on” was the Cunard Countess. I say “on”the ship because a friend and I were vacationing at Frenchmen’s Reef in St Thomas the same time as a work colleague and her hubby were passengers on the Countess. They arranged for us to come onboard when they were docked in St Thomas.

We toured the ship,ate dinner with them in the MDR and saw a show in one if the lounges after dinner.

I was very impressed with the ship,and at that time,I thought going on a cruise would be in my future.

This was in 1978. Can you imagine anyone doing this today because of all the security involved in going on a cruise?
Wishing you a pleasant afternoon. 
MJ👩🏻

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why does the church have an air traffic control tower?😉😇

The tower is actually not a traffic control tower and not a part of the church.  It is down the street a bit, called Goryokaku Tower, an observation tower with scenic views.

IMG_4062.thumb.jpeg.eaee712c290317894766b567866dc65a.jpeg

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

The pictures of the lake are gorgeous, Helen.  Especially the first two.  If they were mine, I'd probably get them printed on canvas.

Did you see what denomination the Church is?

Thank you, Maryann.  The church is called Japan Evangelical Lutheran Church.

IMG_4065.thumb.jpeg.dfa08ac057db589bac1177bde1c755cc.jpeg

@ReneeFLL Renee, you are correct, the collection of Mary Frances’ handbags on Celebrity are much bigger than on Royal.  However, I don’t see the pineapple one.  Wasn’t that the one you were interested in?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Nice pool.

When we bought this house and our last house we told the real estate agent to only show us houses that have a pool , I can use it about 5 months out of the year. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

@Jimbo  We just returned from a trip to Spain. We originally were going to do the TA on Oasis and then spend 6 nights on land. We got an incredible deal on the TA but we ended up cancelling bc it was just too many days away from home. So instead of about 20 nights away we were away 12 and saw a lot more of Spain. We decided that for now, in this stage of life, we won't do cruises in Europe and will do only land based. One exception would be Croatia--we did that in the fall with Azamara and it was amazing and in 9 days we saw so much more than we would have in a land based trip. We drove a car for the first half of this trip when we were in smaller towns/cities and then dropped off car and did Barcelona and Madrid via train. We have found trains in Europe to be very easy. It seems like you do a lot of road trips at home, so not sure if you'd want to think about doing Europe that way as well--we've used trains only on our trips to Norway and Italy and now did half of Spain but realized we could have done all of our trip just with trains except for one rural location. We have used Rick Steves guides for day tour in Italy and use his guides for our own touring. Another tour group we have known people to use is Trafalgar. My only slight reservation with a Rick Steves full tour would be the accommodations--we stay in simple places on our own often but prefer to pick those out on our own. And definitely pack as light as possible and try to do laundry--there is a lot of lugging the bags around unless you are doing a very high end tour. Last year the train to Lake Como was a nightmare with larger bags and we'll only do the carry on size bags and back pack from now on.

Have also been looking at https://www.vacationsbyrail.com/destinations/europe/italy-southern-europe/

Just not sure I really want to drive ourselves around in a foreign countries like you did. Rather leave the transportation to someone else even though it might cost a little more then driving ourselves.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@reallyitsmema  Great pictures of the airplanes!!✈️  I've never gone there, even though we've been to St. Maarten many times.  I'll have to go next year when we're there.

We took a taxi and went to Sunset Beach Bar at Maho Beach. Taxi was $25 for two people or $9 a person if they fill the taxi. My DH went down on the beach and at the curb for some pictures but I just stayed in the shade at the bar. Many were swimming too but it is a steep, short beach. This was the first time that we have seen areas of the bar roped off and required you to order lunch to be in that section and no groups of two allowed along the outside at the larger tables. We were able to get a good table in the area that was open when we got there but had we not ordered something, at 11:30 we would have had to move to the bar. 

Excursions from the ship stop there too but they are pricey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since there are a lot of cat people here...My older daughter got a second cat a couple of days ago.  Meet Merlin:

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.1bef2880dcf9afb525996fd658ce9ba3.JPG

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.c43044a0fa7b207304c14e6e0bb4d32f.JPG

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.599834a8fde40fc45dd950c4469e6097.JPG

IMG_0283.thumb.JPEG.a530f01743ccd4eab1c04485ab82b2eb.JPEG

Her existing cat (real name Onyxia because she's all black but everyone calls her Stinky) was used to having my daughter all to herself. There's quite a bit of hissing and growling happening so far from Stinky, but Merlin doesn't seem at all phased by it.  My daughter is slowly introducing the cats to each other over about a week before putting them in the same room together.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Have also been looking at https://www.vacationsbyrail.com/destinations/europe/italy-southern-europe/

Just not sure I really want to drive ourselves around in a foreign countries like you did. Rather leave the transportation to someone else even though it might cost a little more then driving ourselves.

We've never driven within or into a big city and DH is comfortable driving stick car (automatic are much more expensive) and with GPS and newer roads in Portugal and Spain, we really had no issues. We picked up car in Madrid (airport outside of city) and dropped it off in Toledo (outside of city) so there was no driving within cities. But we did all of Italy and Norway only on trains and could have done this trip only on trains (super reasonably priced) except for one stop near the Lavender area outside of Madrid. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Since there are a lot of cat people here...My older daughter got a second cat a couple of days ago.  Meet Merlin:

Her existing cat (real name Onyxia because she's all black but everyone calls her Stinky) was used to having my daughter all to herself. There's quite a bit of hissing and growling happening so far from Stinky, but Merlin doesn't seem at all phased by it.  My daughter is slowly introducing the cats to each other over about a week before putting them in the same room together.  

Beautiful cat , when we got our first two we got them a year apart and original cat did a lot of hissing when new kitty arrived. We learned from that and got two kittens that already liked each other , that’s the plan for our next two cats , wife love’s ragdoll cats and is thinking of getting two from a breeder , but we also like the idea of getting two from a shelter, we will do serious looking as soon as we return from New York vacation. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, George C said:

Beautiful cat , when we got our first two we got them a year apart and original cat did a lot of hissing when new kitty arrived. We learned from that and got two kittens that already liked each other , that’s the plan for our next two cats , wife love’s ragdoll cats and is thinking of getting two from a breeder , but we also like the idea of getting two from a shelter, we will do serious looking as soon as we return from New York vacation. 

Getting 2 cats together is smart.  Here's the plan that my daughter is following to introduce the cats to each other:

https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats/felinelifestressors/new-pets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

@ReneeFLL Renee, you are correct, the collection of Mary Frances’ handbags on Celebrity are much bigger than on Royal.  However, I don’t see the pineapple one.  Wasn’t that the one you were interested in?

I did buy the pineapple purse. These are the 4 that I have. 3 of them came with the cross body straps which I don't like so I made some short beaded handles.

20240102_120457.thumb.jpg.48dd476449188e56adc6738b05fd5eeb.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

What a cutie.

• Like 1

Made it down to the garden yesterday.   Looking good. 

20240512_144604.thumb.jpg.ba9f196d9435e3177b1cf8c1ac018be2.jpg

Peppers coming out.  These are Jimmy Nardello peppers. They are so good. After they turn red they look really hot however they are nice sweet peppers.   Great on pizza.

20240511_180006.thumb.jpg.0236819fcb6c5efdaa8d2b52d08d66ea.jpg

Tomatoes showing too.  Cherry tomatoes come out quick however the larger tomatoes are growing well too!

image.thumb.png.6132de79a9aa8346ee88432268ceb01a.png

image.thumb.png.d6c0c01cdd9da4ccbc7f29d1c738568d.png

image.thumb.png.2d67fc7332861ba0c195585437a8ca21.png

image.thumb.png.cbaab306c092bc63b0ba4da9c87e6fdf.png

• Like 28

@reallyitsmema  Thank you for all the info about Maho Beach.  It looks like you both had a really great day there today!  The last time we were at St. Maarten, our friends, who have been there several times, were going to take us, but I wound up staying onboard since I wasn't feeling well that day.😔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Very cute!

• Like 1

Beautiful! Welcome to the family Merlin.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@Ozark_Kid  I think I'm going to have to call you "Farmer John".  Your vegetable gardens are always so awesome as well as massive with the amounts and varieties that you grow!

You think it's massive now,  Sharon decided to expand it!  She is adding 3 beds.  Here are pics from my GVB ..... garden view balcony. 

20240513_164700.thumb.jpg.e0a8cefbd8d851233faeca088d1e00d9.jpg

20240513_171010.thumb.jpg.01eb760ab3621d9e2bd747656888ec52.jpg

Btw, the buds you see above are from my new GVB garden.  😆

20240513_171050.thumb.jpg.e58765559677aec5dc928b405483c4ae.jpg

She wants to use them to grow flowers for DD'S flower business.  Her business is growing big time.  Her is a small jar of them we delivered this weekend. 

20240511_155642.thumb.jpg.e64c84a48406b3842949e80dcf3e547e.jpg

We will have an additional 2 beds for flowers in a few weeks after we harvest the garlic.

Our DD has a huge garden area for her flowers behind her house!

• Like 22

Adorable kitten

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

@bobmacliberty  Merlin is adorable!!!!   I bet Stinky and Merlin will soon become the best of friends!😉

Hopefully but don’t count on it , our first cat never liked just tolerated second cat , luckily for second cat he was faster and stronger than her after it was 6 months old.

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Beautiful kitty.

• Like 2