Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

40 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How is your husband feeling today ?

He's being a real trooper, Lenny.  Yesterday the physical therapist couldn't believe how well he did with bending his knee.  He's doing his exercises, which I knew he would.  He's been in pain for longer than I can remember;  his surgeon asked how long he'd been living with his knee like this.  Jim said "too long". The surgeon told me Jim's knee was all bits of bone and cartilage.  (forgive me if I mentioned that the other day)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

The big excitement here today was dismantling & demolishing this eyesore of a 70’s deck.  Next weekend we have both SIL’s here to help get the new posts and beams up for the new Trex one. It’ll be larger with stairs running along the back of the house, ending at the pad on the pathway to the pool.  We’re thinking about screening in the area below the new deck.  DH is a true

DIY-er!  

AFD1B9F8-211F-43C0-BAB0-2818F2ABA209.jpeg

D92F7E20-62FC-43E1-98C4-01191B725973.jpeg

FD580051-76F8-4449-BB92-82E81CE8659F.jpeg

IMG_3572.mov

That's quite a big project you've got there!!  You're going to love it once it's completed!

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just checked it out .I assume that Medina HS is a very good team to be on ESPN in early October.

They are 6-0 but I don’t know for sure why ESPN has them on.  My brother texted that Medina QB is a ESPN Top 300 committed to Penn State next year.  
I moved from Brecksville Ohio to Medina Ohio. Both had bees as a mascot. Never heard of another school that had a bee as a mascot.

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That could be true and would explain why they couldn’t help them. I guess I should dig deep into SW’s policy to see what to do if it happens to us. Thanks for your comment.

I think the same is true for Allegiant and Frontier. I only fly Allegiant now if I have a plan B should the flight get cancelled. Had friends who were on an Allegiant plane waiting to take off for Key West. There was a problem with the plane and their only option was to drive back home. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

He's being a real trooper, Lenny.  Yesterday the physical therapist couldn't believe how well he did with bending his knee.  He's doing his exercises, which I knew he would.  He's been in pain for longer than I can remember;  his surgeon asked how long he'd been living with his knee like this.  Jim said "too long". The surgeon told me Jim's knee was all bits of bone and cartilage.  (forgive me if I mentioned that the other day)

I am sure that he knows this .It is very important to do the assigned exercises even if it is painful.

• Like 2

The big excitement here today was dismantling & demolishing this eyesore of a 70’s deck.  Next weekend we have both SIL’s here to help get the new posts and beams up for the new Trex one. It’ll be larger with stairs running along the back of the house, ending at the pad on the pathway to the pool.  We’re thinking about screening in the area below the new deck.  DH is a true

DIY-er!  

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you check the Trex manuals for bracing requirements. The bracing required is a little tighter than for regular wood boards. So they don't flex. 

Enjoy. We have two Trex decks at other house. They are great! But a little slippery in the snow. And you have to wash them down quite a bit to restore the finish. :classic_smile:

• Like 3

DIY-er!  

AFD1B9F8-211F-43C0-BAB0-2818F2ABA209.jpeg

D92F7E20-62FC-43E1-98C4-01191B725973.jpeg

FD580051-76F8-4449-BB92-82E81CE8659F.jpeg

I bet you will enjoy the new deck.  If all goes as planned ours will be coming down at the end of the month. We are replacing it with composite decking to make it easier to maintain.  We are going to add an extra 12x12 deck section and screen that part in.  We are going to use the underneath for storage.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

They are 6-0 but I don’t know for sure why ESPN has them on.  My brother texted that Medina QB is a ESPN Top 300 committed to Penn State next year.  
I moved from Brecksville Ohio to Medina Ohio. Both had bees as a mascot. Never heard of another school that had a bee as a mascot.

A HS in NY has a mule.Can you imagine that ?

One of my friends who I met 10 years ago told me that in 1958 when he was a Senior in a NYC HS he was the number one football player in the entire US.He showed me news clippings .

He said he had the opportunity to go to many colleges but chose Richmond and had a bad accident during his first game and never played again.He said his big regret was not going to Ohio State.

• Like 2

Next weekend we have both SIL’s here to help get the new posts and beams up for the new Trex one

Trex is the way to go.  I redid our deck 10 years ago with Trex, and it looks as new as it did then.  A whole lot less maintenance too.

DSCN1259.thumb.jpg.69bb10a9a07f08c1c2f2ed404d031074.jpg

I was lucky I did mine when I did.  The nails had severely rusted, and it didn't take much effort to tear the old one apart.

DSCN1214.thumb.JPG.c8d06f427c803eee86dad94e22bb0353.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Yes!  Bonnie had suggested I join everyone on the Bella cruise, and since I feel like I know you all, I signed on and am so looking forward to meeting you all!🥰

So glad you took my suggestion! As much as we think we know each other we still have another 1- 1/2 years to get to know each other even more!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I've grown old waiting for the Canucks to win a Stanley Cup.

Hey, at least they made 1994 interesting! 🙂

That was the year that got me hooked on hockey, although it was the 94 Eastern Conference finals with the NJ Devils that really reeled me in. Not sure if there has been a more exciting, heart-stopping  series since then. 

#LGR. Got my tix for opening night, Oct 14. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Does it handle power washing?

I think they do because others have mentioned using one at lower pressure. We have just used the hose sprayer and a broom so far, because of the pine needles. We haven't taken the pressure washer up there yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Trex is the way to go.  I redid our deck 10 years ago with Trex, and it looks as new as it did then.  A whole lot less maintenance too.

I was lucky I did mine when I did.  The nails had severely rusted, and it didn't take much effort to tear the old one apart.

What did you do with the railings? The top deck has wood posts with Trex rails that need to be replaced. I really like yours! :classic_smile: This seems to be deck year for a lot of folks. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think the same is true for Allegiant and Frontier. I only fly Allegiant now if I have a plan B should the flight get cancelled. Had friends who were on an Allegiant plane waiting to take off for Key West. There was a problem with the plane and their only option was to drive back home. 

You bring up an excellent idea I haven't thought of. I need to look at and have on record flight numbers and times to be used as backups in case of a cancelled flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

You bring up an excellent idea I haven't thought of. I need to look at and have on record flight numbers and times to be used as backups in case of a cancelled flight.

You are so funny @Sea Dog! You do sound stressed. I'm sure thing will work out wonderfully. Have a Plan B in the back of your mind. And congratulations on your upcoming retirement! 

And every day will be Saturday! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Coralc said:

What did you do with the railings? The top deck has wood posts with Trex rails that need to be replaced. I really like yours! :classic_smile: This seems to be deck year for a lot of folks. :classic_biggrin:

Those are one of the trex composite rails that they sold at the time.  The treated posts have a composite sleeve over them with a cap.  The composite rail comes in ready to assemble, eight foot sections.

They have a lot of options for posts and rails.  Our daughter has one with white posts and post sleeves with brown top and bottom rails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was checking the security cameras today the neighbours are already out and rowing their edible beans already. You can see their lights in the dark. They have 50 acres left to harvest and have two pull behind harvesters. Rain is coming Sunday, so they will plan to be done late today. 

1F1B23A9-07EB-486E-BC23-E032974F8386.thumb.png.6e1e7efe7a1ab7ed3cd5411869597d5c.png

• Like 7

8 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We have the same trex planking at our place in Alberta. It’s a great color. We used a bronze/dark brown aluminum rail system.  I like the looks of yours, it works perfectly. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

When I was checking the security cameras today the neighbors are already out and rowing their edible beans already.

I have to utmost respect for people "earning their keep" from agriculture / cattle / plants, etc.

I've looked at the time stamp - 5.55 AM, which reminded me....

When we first arrived in Israel, my parents were sent to an adult-Hebrew school (as interns), and I -- to an agricultural school, which had a class for new immigrants. Half day - school and half day - work.

They had oranges groves, flowers and plants, chickens and .... milk-cows.

I decided to go with the worst work - milking cows. Stark contrast from living in Bucharest and going to a "regular" school.

We were up in the dark at 4AM (!!) and finished by 7AM.

It was 3 hours less than the other "works", and I had more time to study. Beside, milking cows was not boring 😉

Imagine weeding for 6 hours 😢

• Like 14
  • Haha 1