Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We made it the hotel.  Here's a heads up for those who have mentioned they are cruising out of Miami soon. If you are flying into Miami and you are using Uber/Lyft make sure your cell service is working. They pick you up at the lower floor.  We use AT&T and could not connect to the app.  We solved the problem by exiting door 18 and crossing over both drives to get to some open space above. Being under all the beams and concrete was not letting us get a strong enough signal to connect.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Same thing with me.  I never sleep well just before an early flight.  But would much rather have that early flight and get to destination early...then the alternative.  

Exactly. Early flight usually mean the plane arrived the night before. Early flight also seem to have better on time records. Airports seem to fall behind schedule as the day goes on then they reset over night.

• Like 2

Same thing with me.  I never sleep well just before an early flight.  But would much rather have that early flight and get to destination early...then the alternative.  

All our flights to the east coast and San Juan are the day before the cruise red eye flights. Bummer, but we like to arrive at our final destination before noon. We don't get much sleep on the flights. Just a few cat naps. Well worth the sacrifice. The night in the pre cruise hotel we're usually in bed and sound asleep or dead NLT 7:00 PM. Of course a few HH drinks help with that. 😉

• Like 5

Sooo cute as usual .  They are both adorable.  Good thing big brother is being nice to Samantha...she is going to be a lot bigger than him very soon!  😉 

Well he is 20lbs so she may not be that much larger.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

October, being breast cancer awareness month, is always bittersweet for me as my mother died of breast cancer in October 1992.  She was 61; I was 31.

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

So sorry😢

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

+1 😥

+ 3 😢

Thirty is too early to lose your mom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

@bobmaclib

Thank you for so tactfully  finding the explanation.

Once I wore this on a cruise with friends we met here on CC.

Their son then 8 could not understand why everyone else loved the logo and laughed.

Finally his dad spoke out and said we all love baseball.

That was as good an answer as any for the moment.

Stay healthy 

Don't remember where I was, but saw another breast cancer awareness t-shirt that said "Save the Tatas".

38 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We made it the hotel.  Here's a heads up for those who have mentioned they are cruising out of Miami soon. If you are flying into Miami and you are using Uber/Lyft make sure your cell service is working. They pick you up at the lower floor.  We use AT&T and could not connect to the app.  We solved the problem by exiting door 18 and crossing over both drives to get to some open space above. Being under all the beams and concrete was not letting us get a strong enough signal to connect.

I've put that in my notes for our Miami Symphony next September. Thank You!! Sounds like you will be settled in for happy hour.

When Bucky was gainfully employed, he used to fly Singapore Air from the U.S. to China business class.  That was his favorite airline.  Great service.  

I only flew Singapore Air once.  It was First Class (not International Business Class) from Beijing to Singapore.  Service was outstanding.

I think my favorite airline for business class is Emirates.  I twice flew in their A380 to/from Dubai with the entire upper deck being business class. Very spacious, comfortable, private, and high tech seats. There's a lounge area in the front and back of the upper deck if you want to get a drink and socialize rather than sit in your seat. One of their entire Dubai terminals is dedicated to their A380 fleet with the BC lounge taking half of an upper floor.  Fantastic food and they have elevators that take you directly to the gate (minimizing the time that you need to share the same space with the commoners in economy 😁). I hear that Emirates is one of the few airlines still committed to flying the A380.  It has been an economic failure now that there are long range 2 engine jets that can fly at a lower cost to the airline.  Too bad...I liked that plane.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

After almost 6 months, the journey my DW is on has been a story of one step forward, two steps back, followed by two steps forward and one step back. So things are not really trending in a good way but the journey will continue.

@HBE4

Thanks for updating.

I choose to find encouragement in the "steps forward". At least, "something" is moving.

I'm sure that all of us who had read your original post are rooting for you.

It is rather a delicate path between giving a "shout" every 3-4 months, and fears of semblance of "prying", so let's make a "deal" -- we will "shout" (@), and you'll chose if and when to reply 🥰

Kindest wishes crossing the pond 🌷

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you! Seriously, thank you so much!  In this place of "friends who have not met yet", I truly find comfort that my friends here are still thinking of me all these months later. 

And I do lurk!!  However, whenever I do come here, there is usually 15+ pages to catch up on and unlike many others, I'll only go back 2 or 3 pages to catch up. So I miss a lot of stuff.

But I do get an e-mail notification whenever I'm tagged in a post with the "@" so I'll know when people are talking about me🙂 even when I'm not on CC for  many days at a time. So whenever you or any others want to get my attention, that's how to do it. It's like ringing the dinner bell, I'll come a running (well, maybe a slow amble).

@HBE4

Ding Ding Ding!
Welcome back! Happy to hear that it is just busy. Busy is good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Thanks. These are just a few of the brads I was able to find. Great toy for a 3 year old girl and a curious ten month old brindle. NOT!

8F92687A-FE44-467D-AECF-24C550C6BAE6.jpeg

OMG they are dangerous to anyone.    I sure hope the fencing contractor cleans all that up before he has a bigger problem.    I personally would not give him final payment until he cleans up everything before he leaves.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine flew on a regular basis to China when he was working and often said the same thing.

Thai Air from Chiangmai to Bangkok served us Duck a l’Orange with wine. 
In economy! On a 45 minute flight! 
Atl Jax is 45 minutes and you’re lucky to get some Coke. 
I’ve had some great meals on foreign airlines. 

• Like 4

Well, the first leg of the Florida Panhandle trip went well.  No engine problems this time with the land yacht purring smoothly down the highway.  

Only here in Silver Springs state park two nights, then on to a one night at Carrabelle...which will catch us up to parks we had booked 11 months ago...just missing the first two weeks.  

Got out early to kayak on the Silver River before the heat and the throng of tourists showed up.  Nice having the river almost to ourselves.  Then on to Staples in Ocala (my old charger I keep in the land yacht was not compatible with new laptop).  Mexican restaurant for lunch, and now catching up to my friends here.  

20211001_083744.jpg

20211001_095411.jpg

Did you see any monkeys? There used to be so many, and I don’t know if they removed them because of subdivision encroachment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The baseball analysis has to do with sexual activity.  First base is kissing and additional bases involve more intimate activity.  This might help:

What Are The "Bases" In A Relationship? | Regain

That was a well written description.   Thank you for the refresher course😘

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Well, the first leg of the Florida Panhandle trip went well.  No engine problems this time with the land yacht purring smoothly down the highway.  

Only here in Silver Springs state park two nights, then on to a one night at Carrabelle...which will catch us up to parks we had booked 11 months ago...just missing the first two weeks.  

Got out early to kayak on the Silver River before the heat and the throng of tourists showed up.  Nice having the river almost to ourselves.  Then on to Staples in Ocala (my old charger I keep in the land yacht was not compatible with new laptop).  Mexican restaurant for lunch, and now catching up to my friends here.  

20211001_083744.jpg

20211001_095411.jpg

Excellent 🤩   Happy to hear the land yacht is on its best behavior.   Looks like a great area for kayaking.     

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Thai Air from Chiangmai to Bangkok served us Duck a l’Orange with wine. 
In economy! On a 45 minute flight! 
Atl Jax is 45 minutes and you’re lucky to get some Coke. 
I’ve had some great meals on foreign airlines. 

The only foreign airline I have ever been on is Air Canada.

• Like 1

I remember growing up I always wanted to have Duck l’orange…but it was always the most expensive dish on the menu and I was a very polite child.  Then when I was 10 we visited a very grand relative in NYC and she took us to The 21 Club and Canard aux Cerises was, comparatively speaking, one of the lesser expensive dishes.  I happily ordered it.  It was served table side and was worth all the time I’d waited to have it!  

It made up for the lunch dish I’d had the day before at the St. Regis.  I ordered sweetbreads as it sounded so intriguing. I found the texture strange…and when I learned what it actually was I was angry at my mother for letting me order it.  She said “I thought you knew what it was.”  (In her defense, I loved to cook and was working my way thru a cookbook of Julia Child’s.)  I had a wonderful mousse au chocolate to recover.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

OMG they are dangerous to anyone.    I sure hope the fencing contractor cleans all that up before he has a bigger problem.    I personally would not give him final payment until he cleans up everything before he leaves.   

They definitely are not getting payment until things are completed and cleaned.  They are gone for the day, which is day two of a two day project, and will be back on Monday.  They are only about a third done with about another 200 feet to go.  No way I see them finishing on Monday, especially since they counted posts and we are short at least ten.  At least the part along my neighbors yard is done and it is safe for their daughter and the dog.  Neighbor on other side of my house just bought the house and we have never met them yet.  Not sure if anyone is even living there yet.  Plan was to have fence replaced before the bought the house as the fence was ordered prior to the house even being listed.  Oh well.

• Like 2

Been having problems posting to CC all day, so hopefully this works. 

TSOTD

E97C816E-AFDD-4E34-8FC7-B5A1FE2CEDA5.thumb.jpeg.1625ebb5348c305a4934da23e8212af8.jpeg

Not as good, or for a worthy cause as breast cancer awareness, but it is what I had picked for the day.  Cancer, in any form, is an evil monster 

It was 44°F when we did an early morning walk. The mist was rising from the lake. 

845BB21A-F463-4D5A-A887-3874F5252C58.thumb.jpeg.d97db9217952ed58f6994fe19d6b5c5e.jpeg

The leaves are starting to change here, and we should have nice colors in a couple weeks

C498EA70-7F4D-4BD7-B7A7-66AFB77022A6.thumb.jpeg.453f33265de7885db0dfe3e34294079d.jpeg

We picked up things for a Chinese Auction basket donation for our daughter’s classroom.  Her students should really like it.  Then it was time for lunch at Mizu’s 

Salad and Mizu’s soup

88A04E07-CAA0-4842-9CC1-7EB108877EE2.thumb.jpeg.f86871708cc676b6d15b6536c9a66838.jpeg

My DW had shrimp fried rice

BF79B41D-3BFD-427C-B1B0-88F3C987508E.thumb.jpeg.94f45ca4c59a8c90189469832d3e99be.jpeg

And my teriyaki chicken

9AA28AFF-8FC1-4890-B367-153C5E0F8BC7.thumb.jpeg.82f48bb46f22b3e916ab5e56544095b1.jpeg

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I remember growing up I always wanted to have Duck l’orange…but it was always the most expensive dish on the menu and I was a very polite child.  Then when I was 10 we visited a very grand relative in NYC and she took us to The 21 Club and Canard aux Cerises was, comparatively speaking, one of the lesser expensive dishes.  I happily ordered it.  It was served table side and was worth all the time I’d waited to have it!  

It made up for the lunch dish I’d had the day before at the St. Regis.  I ordered sweetbreads as it sounded so intriguing. I found the texture strange…and when I learned what it actually was I was angry at my mother for letting me order it.  She said “I thought you knew what it was.”  (In her defense, I loved to cook and was working my way thru a cookbook of Julia Child’s.)  I had a wonderful mousse au chocolate to recover.

Your not knowing about sweetbreads reminds me of my first dining car experience. 
We took the train from Jacksonville to Penn Station in NYC twice  a year, the day school got out for Christmas and for summer vacation. 
When the conductor came through calling out “Dining car three cars to the rear”, my mother pulled out the pumpernickel sandwiches. 
The dining car was an exotic mystery to me. 
Finally my mother announced a treat, dinner in the dining car. And we could order what we wanted. 
A dream come true. Our little table had a white tablecloth, heavy cutlery, and a little silver vase with a flower and some fern. Oh joy!

I read  the menu, and one thing caught my eye. Spring chicken! I never heard of such a thing. 
When it came, my joy deflated like a worn out balloon. There were NO springs!

It was just baked chicken with potatoes and a vegetable.

Something I could have eaten at home!

That’s when I learned that great expectations can lead to great deflations. 
Except for the first visit to the Magic Kingdom!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think my favorite airline for business class is Emirates.  I twice flew in their A380 to/from Dubai with the entire upper deck being business class. Very spacious, comfortable, private, and high tech seats. There's a lounge area in the front and back of the upper deck if you want to get a drink and socialize rather than sit in your seat. One of their entire Dubai terminals is dedicated to their A380 fleet with the BC lounge taking half of an upper floor.  Fantastic food and they have elevators that take you directly to the gate (minimizing the time that you need to share the same space with the commoners in economy 😁). I hear that Emirates is one of the few airlines still committed to flying the A380.  It has been an economic failure now that there are long range 2 engine jets that can fly at a lower cost to the airline.  Too bad...I liked that plane.

That was 'my' airline, glad you had a good experience.  Retired last November after 17 years with them 

Passengers  loved, loved, loved the A380. Even at LHR which was an outstation the business and first class pax were boarded directly from the lounge onto the plane 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why not ? Many of us who are regulars on Dani’s thread post there.

Lenny, I can only speak for myself.  I only go into Floataway Lounge if someone sends me a link for a specific thread.  I honestly have no desire to go scroll the different threads.  However, since you're homebound it must give you great pleasure to find different topics of interest to you.

Congrats to all with negative covid results and happy sailing to those with up-coming cruises.

@island ladySounds like your land yacht vacation is off to a great start. Here's hoping she continues to purrrr smoothly.

• Like 7