Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you!     Happy to hear both of your friends are doing well.   As Marietta said, having a positive attitude is very important.    The first year or so comes with a lot of doctor appointments, testing, medication changes, etc.   It truly is the gift of life😃   

Whenever we celebrate Eric's transplant we also remember the young man that lost his life (and his parents who had to made the decision to donate his organs).   He continues to live on as he saved a couple of lives that day.   We heard several of his organs were successfully transplanted in others in need.

Do you know who the donor was or met his parents? If the question is to personal then just ignore it.

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Do you know who the donor was or met his parents?

We never personally met them.    We were told it was a young men in his early 20's and his parents were presented with the facts that he was brain dead and they made the decision to donate his organs while they were still viable.  We wrote a letter to them that was handled by the transplant team and never received a response (which we hear is common).      

While Eric was recovering from the transplant on a special floor of the hospital we learned there were several other patients on the floor that had received various organs.    Initially, we would see some of these people when visiting the hospital transplant team.    Some of them seem to be bonding with others but we didn't stay in touch 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We never personally met them.    We were told it was a young men in his early 20's and his parents were presented with the facts that he was brain dead and they made the decision to donate his organs while they were still viable.  We wrote a letter to them that was handled by the transplant team and never received a response (which we hear is common).      

While Eric was recovering from the transplant on a special floor of the hospital we learned there were several other patients on the floor that had received various organs.    Initially, we would see some of these people when visiting the hospital transplant team.    Some of them seem to be bonding with others but we didn't stay in touch 

Thanks. I didn't mean to pry into a very sensitive matter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. I didn't mean to pry into a very sensitive matter.

Not prying at all.   If I didn't want to talk about it I would let you know.   

I like to share for more people to be aware of how important being an organ donor is.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not prying at all.   If I didn't want to talk about it I would let you know.   

I like to share for more people to be aware of how important being an organ donor is.   

Thanks. I have a hard time on this thread figuring out when I'm crossing the line when it comes to medical issues. Balancing concern with privacy is not always easy.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. I have a hard time on this thread figuring out when I'm crossing the line when it comes to medical issues. Balancing concern with privacy is not always easy.

I understand.    Walking that fine line is tricky but I also think majority of us would let someone know (or simply ignore) if they felt someone crossed the line.   Personally, I don't think you have ever got anywhere near crossing the line.   😃

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@h20skibum First of all, I am so sorry you and your daughter and family are still going through such difficulties.  You are in my prayers.

Your comments about your great grandfather made me think about my beloved grandfather for whom I was named…he was 17 years older than his wife.  When he went off to fight in WW I he made the rounds of friends and family to say goodbye…and tells of patting little Mary Rembert Ficklen on the head.  She was a one year old toddler at the time…and became his wife later.

• Like 4

Being a nurse anesthetist. I have seen both sides of the donor/recipient experience. 

Yes, it is very unfortunate to see a family in sorrow and sudden loss of a loved one. Most of the time their illness is unexpected and commonly from an accident. However some are not. 

Our hospital included all members of the team that would provide care/ counseling during the whole process. 

Yes, it is thought provoking. 
On one side of the spectrum dealing with the families shock to another families joy and relief of new beginnings. 

For our facility when a donation was made our facility through the organ recovery nurse checked the registry and coordinated the transfer to another facility. 
This way the recipient would not know or witness the families sadness. 

When one of our local patients needed their new organ we did the surgery. Our center at that time only did certain placement (kidneys, corneas ). At that time the organ would be flown in. 

The placement of heart or lung , liver, pancreas we’re in the major hospitals that could provide post op recovery and rehabilitation as well as long term follow up. 

The contact we had with the patients who received kidneys or corneas definitely brought a sense of fulfillment to not only the patient but to me as well. 

Unless you have witnessed the joy and relief  when a patient who has had compromised vision see. Or a kidney failure patient who had dialysis 3 times a week begin a new life, well. It is remarkable. 

We have a yearly reception for those people who have been involved with organ recovery. Before this event letters are sent to the donors families as well to the patient recipient if they would like to attend. Also if the would like to meet one another. ( the donor and recipient). 
Some do. Some do not. 

This reception is truly amazing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We had a fun day yesterday at The Players golf tournament. Got to watch Scottie Scheffler take a 2 stroke lead into today’s final round. Headed back to the course in about an hour. Weather should be perfect today. 

The famous 17th island green hole is always fun to watch. There is a huge stadium like setup all around the 16th green and 17th hole. 
8C98C16D-C741-49EE-83A3-05EBA7D1F6DD.thumb.jpeg.a020c87ee1897ce5e6956e66a9aec0a1.jpeg

From the 16th fairway

From behind the 17th tee. 

I tried their signature drink for the first time. It’s called a Sawgrass Smash. Very (very) tasty. Doesn’t taste like it has any alcohol in it, which is dangerous. Cheers!

31998B04-B48F-4735-A27A-AC29F421A033.thumb.jpeg.e218654c6cdf9763330c91a3e66652f6.jpeg

• Like 9

Here is my amusing story for the day.  My grandson has been big, into collecting baseball cards.  We stopped at a mall in Ohio yesterday, and saw they were having a big card show.  So Susan texts our daughter to tell her about the show. When our grandson hears this, he asks to borrow his mom’s phone, and this starts. 

D6C200CE-6352-4466-9D7E-ED88592CEAA3.thumb.jpeg.397b048868eba5c54d67ac0a4a1fad2c.jpeg

Now, seriously, I need to teach Susan some bargaining skills.  He starts out with can you LEND me 40 - 30, and she goes right to I’ll give you $100

D4A49E82-285A-480E-A16A-0B5B15DEEA83.thumb.jpeg.34b9837ae5bbd81f7bab2be7b664004b.jpeg

So he thanked her 3 times and gave the phone back to his mom, not realizing she can just read what he texted. 

F5EA5E8E-0708-4223-9EC5-AB6FB8FD646A.thumb.jpeg.f0cbe61ed7255a8f1e9d312f5310fbdb.jpeg

And just like that, I am $300 bucks lighter, because if one gets money, they all get money.  I am glad I only have 3 grandkids. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

4 days to go until our rock and romance cruise , this is our annual big splurge we have a royal suite which is over 500 square ft with a 200 square foot balcony. Some of the cool perks are free specialty restaurants and two liters of liquor, just got the list of liquor we could pick it included 11 different 12 year old scotch’s . We like this cruise so much we booked next year’s already . 

• Like 13

Just now, George C said:

4 days to go until our rock and romance cruise , this is our annual big splurge we have a royal suite which is over 500 square ft with a 200 square foot balcony. Some of the cool perks are free specialty restaurants and two liters of liquor, just got the list of liquor we could pick it included 11 different 12 year old scotch’s . We like this cruise so much we booked next year’s already . 

Remind me, which ship?

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Remind me, which ship?

Celebrity Summit, both this year and next . Our cruise is musical artist from the 1970’s the day our cruise end the flower power cruise of 1960’s starts , same company has county cruise , 1980’s cruises etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Celebrity Summit, both this year and next . Our cruise is musical artist from the 1970’s the day our cruise end the flower power cruise of 1960’s starts , same company has county cruise , 1980’s cruises etc.

You should stay on for a B2B!

@dani negreanu Dani, I wanted to thank you for posting about the Premier Pass.  A couple weeks ago, when I was having an optimistic moment, I booked a cruise for later this year.  That was available for my sailing, so I booked it.  It looked like a good deal, just for the internet alone. 

And while I am saying thanks, I want to thank all of you who have offered prayers and support for my daughter.  I am glad we have so many kind and caring people who have stuck with this thread. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1