Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

45 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I can't remember who I talked to about this several months ago...maybe you @A&L_Ont or @John&LaLa?

Kara & Nate updated their map website to allow cruise ports now. It's the custom map - hybrid trip option. I just did our 2018 Greek isles trip and am going to order it for my Nate.

If you mean Kara and Nate who traveled to 100 countries in 4 years and is now traveling thru the USA in their van, I follow their travels every week. I do remember something about custom maps on their website. Great way to chronicle your travels.

51 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Blood Sweat and Tears,Mountain,The Duprees.

A friend of mine has a Woodstock Tribute Band that plays every August in Bethel.They are on You Tube:Retro69.The female singer in the group,Melissa League is fantastic.

See the pyramids along the nile...sigh.  Why wasn't the festival called Bethel where it was located, instead of Woodstock where it was not located? 

On music we have done rock and romance cruises on Celebrity last three years some of the acts were

America (twice)

Micheal McDonald

Boz Scaggs 

Air Supply

BJ Thomas

Rita Coolidge 

Jefferson Starship

Guess who

and many others

cool thing is you can get your albums or CDs signed , had nice conversations with many of them.

next one is next February on Celebrity again

Edited by George C
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Bags are packed!   We bought these wild looking Tumi suitcases just before the shut down from Covid, but did get to use them once for Alaska last August (but no cruise, which was cancelled).  

Easy to spot on the baggage claim, and no one dares try to grab them by mistake!   😄  😄 

Have a private shuttle service picking us up for the Orlando airport at 7 am tomorrow.  Gosh, it's going to feel good to finally get out there again!  I have six washable masks packed, and copies of our vaccine cards! 🙂 

Have a safe, long and enjoyable trip. Wave and smile thru the window as you fly over my house. I'll be mowing my lawn. 🙂🍷

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

See the pyramids along the nile...sigh.  Why wasn't the festival called Bethel where it was located, instead of Woodstock where it was not located? 

I did not go to Woodstock because Michael Lang was one of the organizers .He hung out in the same part of Brooklyn as I did and my feeling was that anything he was associated with would not be good.I talked friends out of going there who were not too happy with me.I am sure I knew why it was called Woodstock.I have many books written about the festival.

Re the Duprees I knew the lead singer very well and I have autographed pictures of the group.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was still working I would play this song on my cassette player ,open the door to my office and let everyone hear the greatness of Phil Collins.

All this "In The Air Tonight" talk makes me want to go down and bang it out on my drums.  🥁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Aww...thanks!  😊  We are sooo excited to finally go on a trip again.  The two weeks will go by fast! 

Forgot to mention...naturally I have another identifier on my suitcase.....this awesome, rare, and valuable collector's item hanging from the handle!  😄 😄 

We've also got a few of those highly collectables. 🤣

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Love the assorted breads and bowl they're in. 

Good eye -- they are from a special boutique breads "Lehamim", they have only 2 stores, one in Tel-Aviv and one in Ramat Ha-Sharon, close to one of us. So her job is to bring "Lehamim" to every gathering. 

Beside, every one brings a dish.

Usually, I'm the designated cake "supplier", but this time I don't know how it happened - one of us jumped in with "coconut covered chocolate balls", and I was left with my second best -- egg salad (the one in the middle in the white Corning bowl).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, George C said:

On music we have done rock and romance cruises on Celebrity last three years some of the acts were

America (twice)

Micheal McDonald

Boz Scaggs 

Air Supply

BJ Thomas

Rita Coolidge 

Jefferson Starship

Guess who

and many others

cool thing is you can get your albums or CDs signed , had nice conversations with many of them.

next one is next February on Celebrity again

You pay a lot more on these cruises than a regular cruise.I know a couple who go on TCM cruises and when they told me how much they paid for a 7 night cruise I nearly fell.

40 minutes ago, davekathy said:

All this "In The Air Tonight" talk makes me want to go down and bang it out on my drums.  🥁

The two best drummers I ever saw and heard are guys that nobody on CC likely ever heard of before:Ira Kaye a full time Dentist in NY and a part time drummer and Richie DiMartino who was in a garage band when he was in his teens.He wanted to pursue a music career but his parents were against it and he gave up his dream.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

You pay a lot more on these cruises than a regular cruise.I know a couple who go on TCM cruises and when they told me how much they paid for a 7 night cruise I nearly fell.

Yes they are not cheap, low end is about 2k per person for a week, they sell out really quick , we always book for the following year while on board so we get the suite we want.

Just now, George C said:

Yes they are not cheap, low end is about 2k per person for a week, they sell out really quick , we always book for the following year while on board so we get the suite we want.

The people who went on the TCM cruise paid ten thousand.They met Joan Collins and other movie people.They enjoy it as I know you enjoy the music cruises that you go on.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

He wanted to pursue a music career but his parents were against it and he gave up his dream.

I can understand that. I was lucky in that when I started playing drums at age 10 my parents supported me and paid for lessons. They supported me as I went to the Conservatory of Music and onto Berklee College of Music in Boston. I played professional for several years but got burned out just playing clubs. I went back to school and pursued television production and that's where I am at today. I don't regret not trying to make it. My best friend and roommate was a more talented drummer than me and was starving. He eventually made it by playing drums for George Benson and then with Oleta Adams where they got married and still perform to this date. I still play, compose and produce music today but just don't have the pressure to do it to make a living. Sounds like we could have some great conversations over a beer on a ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I did not go to Woodstock because Michael Lang was one of the organizers .He hung out in the same part of Brooklyn as I did and my feeling was that anything he was associated with would not be good.I talked friends out of going there who were not too happy with me.I am sure I knew why it was called Woodstock.I have many books written about the festival.

Re the Duprees I knew the lead singer very well and I have autographed pictures of the group.

Can you share why it was called Woodstock?

40 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Good eye -- they are from a special boutique breads "Lehamim", they have only 2 stores, one in Tel-Aviv and one in Ramat Ha-Sharon, close to one of us. So her job is to bring "Lehamim" to every gathering. 

Beside, every one brings a dish.

Usually, I'm the designated cake "supplier", but this time I don't know how it happened - one of us jumped in with "coconut covered chocolate balls", and I was left with my second best -- egg salad (the one in the middle in the white Corning bowl).

Bet your "2nd best" was well received.  Bread and Israeli salads are so fresh.  Love the olives also. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Can you share why it was called Woodstock?

Mike Lang and his associates applied for a permit to have the festival in Woodstock but it was too late to get the name changed to the Bethel Music Festival when they realized there was not enough grounds to hold a festival there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mike Lang and his associates applied for a permit to have the festival in Woodstock but it was too late to get the name changed to the Bethel Music Festival when they realized there was not enough grounds to hold a festival there.

Thanks, Lenny.  I always wondered and for some weird reason, never googled.

Just now, BonTexasNY said:

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

About 15 years ago I went to a Hippie Fest concert in Brooklyn .Everyone still alive from the 1969 concert was invited to appear and many showed up.That was really a great show.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I can understand that. I was lucky in that when I started playing drums at age 10 my parents supported me and paid for lessons. They supported me as I went to the Conservatory of Music and onto Berklee College of Music in Boston. I played professional for several years but got burned out just playing clubs. I went back to school and pursued television production and that's where I am at today. I don't regret not trying to make it. My best friend and roommate was a more talented drummer than me and was starving. He eventually made it by playing drums for George Benson and then with Oleta Adams where they got married and still perform to this date. I still play, compose and produce music today but just don't have the pressure to do it to make a living. Sounds like we could have some great conversations over a beer on a ship.

I had a boyfriend in NY who was a college student and sang in Manhattan clubs on weekends.  I was his groupie. Unless he changed his name, I doubt he "made it". His sister was married to the guy who co-wrote "If You Could Only Be Me" sung by Spanky and our Gang - Roger Atkins.

Bob (the boyfriend) took me to a NYE party at the apt. of Neil Sedaka's songwriter, Howard Greenfield.  When Howard found out I was a fan of Neil, he called him to sing Happy Birthday Sweet 16 to me over the phone.  I was 18 lol. Talk about a tongue tied moment.

That was the party where Sally Field showed up and hit on my boyfriend which embarrassed the heck out of him. She picked up hor dervores (excuse spelling), sniffed them and threw them back on the tray.  She was in the Flying Nun at that time and totally obnoxious. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Conservatory of Music in NY

No Conservatory of Music Kansas City, a part of University of Missouri. Originally studied to be a classical percussionist, then focused on jazz studies.

Edited by Sea Dog

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Here are some suggestions.  This may make you start dancing though.  🎶 🎵 🎶

I Gotta Feeling - Black Eye Peas

DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love Again - Usher

Dynamite - Taio Cruz

I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

For cool down:

New York (Empire State of Mind) - Alicia Keys

Great choices , thank you 😊

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

@BonTexasNY What a great story. That's something you will never forget.

Thanks. That's about the sum total of show business in my life.

Of course I forgot there was the time Central Park had free concerts. It started to rain, my friend and I got drenched running to the subway until a guy let me share his umbrella.  I thanked him without really looking at him.  My friend poked my arm, trying to get my attention.  I looked up and was shocked to see Gary Lewis holding his umbrella so I wouldn't get wet. He and his "playboys" were the act that was rained out. Don't judge.  They were a big deal then and I was soooo young.

I admit it.  I'm star struck. 🤩

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I had a boyfriend in NY who was a college student and sang in Manhattan clubs on weekends.  I was his groupie. Unless he changed his name, I doubt he "made it". His sister was married to the guy who co-wrote "If You Could Only Be Me" sung by Spanky and our Gang - Roger Atkins.

Bob (the boyfriend) took me to a NYE party at the apt. of Neil Sedaka's songwriter, Howard Greenfield.  When Howard found out I was a fan of Neil, he called him to sing Happy Birthday Sweet 16 to me over the phone.  I was 18 lol. Talk about a tongue tied moment.

That was the party where Sally Field showed up and hit on my boyfriend which embarrassed the heck out of him. She picked up hor dervores (excuse spelling), sniffed them and threw them back on the tray.  She was in the Flying Nun at that time and totally obnoxious. 

My Neil Sedaka story.After I got married my parents moved to Brighton Beach.They lived in an apartment directly over the apartment of Neil Sedaka’s parents.Neil usually came to visit his parents on Sundays and he would sing to them .On summer days everyone had their windows open as nobody had air conditioners in those days.When my father heard Neil sing he would bang on the radiator and yell out the window telling Neil’s father that Neil should give up singing and get a real job.

• Haha 1