Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not playing your games today.  Fact is, not all areas have natural gas, whether rural or urban.  My current house does not have natural gas because there is none on this street.  The nearest connection when we first moved here was over a mile away, not paying for that connection.  It is now two streets away, but still not on my street.

That's not the point, but whatever

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not playing your games today.  Fact is, not all areas have natural gas, whether rural or urban.  My current house does not have natural gas because there is none on this street.  The nearest connection when we first moved here was over a mile away, not paying for that connection.  It is now two streets away, but still not on my street.

Same in Dallas area one street may offer gas and another a couple blocks away wouldn’t, alway prefer gas for cooking and heating, first thing we did when buying our current house was get a gas line for our outdoor grill. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I don't know anywhere in England that doesn't have gas and electric as standard in their homes.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

When I bought my land, two of my requirements were natural gas and sewers. No way was I putting $20,000 into the ground for a septic system just to have the sewer system eventually extended to the neighborhood. And heating with electric is expensive here and I don't like depending on oil deliveries.

• Like 5

Before we even bought the house we currently live in, I inquired about getting gas service. It took a LONG time, from roughly April 23 to sometime in September to get the line installed, no charge from the gas company to run the line to the house, but about $1,500 to get it hooked up inside the house. After cooking on an electric stove at our previous home, we'd had enough. Gas is so much better!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I bought my land, two of my requirements were natural gas and sewers. No way was I putting $20,000 into the ground for a septic system just to have the sewer system eventually extended to the neighborhood. And heating with electric is expensive here and I don't like depending on oil deliveries.

Managing oil deliveries can be a pain in New England.  My house is on a hill and whoever built it decided to put the oil tank and fill on the side of the house farthest from the driveway.  We have a stone wall across the front of the house which is 12 feet tall at its highest, which is also at the side of the house with the fill.  Only one brainiac tried to pull the hose over that wall, up the icy hill in the winter, he is no longer allowed to deliver to my house.  I am not going to be responsible for him falling.  I get the old guy who can back up my driveway with his eyes closed and has no issues pulling the hose around the hose in the path we clear for him.  We had electric growing up and I know how expensive that can be and how my parents used to close off rooms so they didn't have to heat them.  We would have preferred natural gas but just wasn't going to happen.  The line is getting closer but I doubt we will convert at this point.  Sewer is a whole other nightmare, think root intrusion. 🤢💩

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Graham, appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

I'm so very very sad about this happening, but, at the same time, it was a tragedy waiting to happen.

The police asked for 3000 persons at a time, but arrived 100.000 and the police were overwhelmed.

Last year, it was Corona cancelled, and the Ministry of Health was against the festival happening this year too....

Covid may be a bit behind us, but at this festival one of the traditions is to cut the hair for the 1st time to toddlers at 3 years of age... All those unvaccinated kids with many young families in a very narrow place.

Life is sacred, much more than an annual tradition....😢😢

Agree.  So tragic and avoidable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same here. No tanks, no septic were my two big things, which are hard to find even in suburban in New Hampshire. I don't know anyone around here who hasn't had a problem with tanks or septic at one point or another.

Our house used to be on coal, long before we bought it. Before that, wood (seven now-disused fireplaces plus one rebuilt for a wood stove).

Thank goodness for gas and sewer.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Agree.  So tragic and avoidable.

So very sad -- the most important commandment, IMHO is -- "Take care of your life"

"ונשמרתם לנפשותיכם"

Joshua 23:11

Therefore watch yourselves carefully, .....

Deuteronomy 4:15

Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves ....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We have NG in our Ohio house but have propane in Florida...no NG there.  I don't know yet how often we will need to fill our underground propane tank but I'm guessing twice a year.  I check the level gauge every other month or so, call them when it gets low, and they fill it within a couple of days.  Or I can pay them more to install a device so that they monitor the level and automatically fill when needed.

Below ground propane tank?  I’ve never heard of such a thing. Up here they are all above ground. 

Our propane provider installed the monitor devices on all three of our tanks free of charge. I still look at the levels though when the temperature drops in the winter. 

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Country living has some advantages but we do miss some services.

When we did the home addition and renovation we had to add a new septic system. It’s now monitored remotely, like our propane. We also have a well, 320’ deep, no city water here. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Below ground propane tank?  I’ve never heard of such a thing. Up here they are all above ground.

Yeah they have underground propane here too. Maybe it's a building code thing in your area? Seems like a good idea in cold climates.

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Fact is, not all areas have natural gas, whether rural or urban.  My current house does not have natural gas because there is none on this street.  The nearest connection when we first moved here was over a mile away, not paying for that connection.  It is now two streets away, but still not on my street.

On the same idea of your post… on my car tour a few years ago I was amazed that the rural areas SE of Atlanta had fire hydrants in the middle of nowhere. Living in the country where there are none, I noticed it immediately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Country living has some advantages but we do miss some services.

When we did the home addition and renovation we had to add a new septic system. It’s now monitored remotely, like our propane. We also have a well, 320’ deep, no city water here. 

That's another one, water. Around here everyone's wells are drying up due to the yearlong drought. We get city water from a big lake up the street and don't have to share it with other towns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yeah they have underground propane here too. Maybe it's a building code thing in your area? Seems like a good idea in cold climates.

Here our tanks are replaced every so many years, somewhere between 10-20.  I don’t remember, but think it is 10 years for some reason. Maybe this is the reason to why they aren’t underground here.

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here our tanks are replaced every so many years, somewhere between 10-20.  I don’t remember, but think it is 10 years for some reason. Maybe this is the reason to why they aren’t underground here.

The underground tanks are more expensive. Maybe it's not worth it unless you really don't want to look at them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Glad that she's AFTER.

Takes "guts" to do both eyes in the same day 🥰

I was thinking the same thing.  My Mom had them out in both eyes too but had them done about a month apart.  In hindsight, I think she would have them done in one day as she hated having to go into Boston so many times.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh yes. That is what I studied at Berklee. Played in a trio where my bass player was from South Africa, Sax player was from Sweden and my piano player was from NY. It was incredible. I also studied jazz vibes from a teacher who was Gary Burton's protege. I made an error in that instead of staying on the east coast and play jazz I went back to the midwest. There were no jazz gigs so I had to settle on pop band hotel circuit scene. After all it was 1979 at the height of disco.

I went to a jazz festival in Houston in 2006.Musicians came from all over the world.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Glad that she's AFTER.

Takes "guts" to do both eyes in the same day 🥰

She also had a laser treatment prior to getting each one done. Amazing what she is sharing with me now it is done. 

Just gave her eye drops now. Another set in minutes.  She has crazy looking lenses to wear at night, in prevention of eye rubbing. 

• Like 3