US halts passport services

On 6/14/2020 at 4:47 PM, APDMOM said:

Our local post office helps with renewals - they take passport pictures for a fee and will make sure you have the right paperwork (free service), then you walk over to the counter and mail it in yourself.  🙂 

Ours too!  Ours even handles the mailing.  They looked over all the paperwork, made sure it was all there and then dded the picture they took.   I left everything with them.  They mailed it as part of the processing fee.  I know it made it because state department cashed the check ☺️    Now just hoping to get it back!

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Thanks for posting!  My daughter's went out for renewal/new (since under age) on 4/26 and I have been trying to keep up with updates.  Still showing the generic message when I track it, so this gives me hope.  I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see the old one again.  Fingers crossed it will be processed within the next month.  I'll flip a coin to see which I receive first, her passport or my cruise refunds 😂  

On 6/14/2020 at 6:44 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

My sister-in-law works in the main Passport processing office.  This is all quite simple to explain, albeit a pain in the posterior for those that made application earlier this year.

COVID drove the closure of their office (like most other businesses), and the process cannot be done securely from stay-at-home remote employees.

So the work is backed up.

There is a rotating skeleton staff that is doing what they can on a first in first out basis. Until the office opens again to all staff, delays are inevitable.

I question the first in first out part.  I say this because this thread has people who got some kind of status much sooner than we did.  Not saying you are lying.  I am sure that is the intent, to do first in first out.  I am not so sure they are being successful at it.

15 hours ago, mcrimmins said:

Those buggers were uber fast in getting to the bank to cash my check. We applied for renewal on April 24th. Hopefully we'll see ours in a month.

Our submission was April 20.  No check cashed yet.  That makes me nervous!  I'd almost wish they had cashed it so I know someone has at least received it!

31 minutes ago, Jeff13 said:

I question the first in first out part.  I say this because this thread has people who got some kind of status much sooner than we did.  Not saying you are lying.  I am sure that is the intent, to do first in first out.  I am not so sure they are being successful at it.

They all get date stamped (applications) upon arrival for FIFO processing.  Those that have express processing are separated.

This is not a new procedure.  What is new is the loss of time and personnel doing the actual processing tasks.

44 minutes ago, Jeff13 said:

Our submission was April 20.  No check cashed yet.  That makes me nervous!  I'd almost wish they had cashed it so I know someone has at least received it!

I tracked the package (sent April 29) so I know they received it plus the check was cashed.   Still nervous about getting the new passports.   

On 6/16/2020 at 3:23 PM, Jeff13 said:

My daughter's was sent in 4/29, checked cashed 5/6.  I would be nervous too! 😞

Interesting that the President wants businesses to open up and employees to get back to work but government offices seem to be lagging behind. It’s the same with the DMV In my state. The passport website was rather vague as to the time line anticipated for each stage. The announcement about stage 1 seems to refer to Passport Acceptance offices. What about the 2 sites where renewals are sent and have been stored?  Are those also in stage 1? Are they not able to figure our how to socially distance employees so more than a skeleton crew can return to work and clear up the back log? This virus is going to be around for awhile so if stage 3 will happen after the virus is gone, then there’s going to be a long wait. This department has had almost 3 months to figure out how to safely accommodate employees and the public. It seems to me that they didn’t work as hard at figuring it out as private businesses have. Looks like those of us who need to renew our passports should not count on traveling internationally for many months to come.

Well, I work for the local government. We did not stop working. We just worked from home since mid-March. We are starting Phase 2 on Monday. What that means is 1 of 12 of us will be in the office each day until Phase 3. They have learned we are more efficient and more productive in many areas with flexible work. Many of us in my group have come from the private sector and our management is learning a valuable lesson...people work much better when there is flexibility. 

I can't speak directly for State or Federal workers. The passport agency has stated that they cannot process passports remotely. This begs the question whether these people are getting paid or furloughed. If not getting paid, did they seek other opportunities to keep afloat? The articles I have read is that they have a backlog of 1.7M. They stated they will increase staff to process once able to fully return to work. I would expect it to take 2-3 months to process the backlog once they are able. 

March 27 Passport submission, March 30 checks cashed, Today's Status: Processing

On 6/13/2020 at 12:39 PM, villager70 said:

We sent our renewal in  on certified mail and they received it March 5th. They received  check  and bank got notified on payment.  Checked on line two or three times and says  being processed. Also on their site said anything received after March 20th would be delayed. Ours there 15 days earlier and  old ones sent, and nothing received. Goverment in action.  Bob

So Government workers should be infected with Coronavirus?

Maybe you don't realize that most of the Government is on 100% telework for safety.  And you cannot process passports remotely.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kellie in Texas said:

Update:  Our son's passport arrived yesterday, after being "in quarantine" since Feb. 27th. 

We sent ours in 2 months later - hopefully that means we'll see ours in 2 months from now or less!  🤞

The passport office cashed my check on 2/27 and yesterday I received the following email:

Application Status: Approved

The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book and card. We're now printing your passport book and card and preparing to give it to you.

You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 6-8 weeks. You should receive your passport book and card on or around 06/27/2020.

Not that I need it now but it is good to see things are starting to  move.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jeff13 said:

I have to admit that they did take money out of our account.  They did not "cash" the checks.  I was looking for the check numbers to clear.  They did process a withdrawal direct from our checking account though.  It was like only a week after we submitted.  I had to search my account for that dollar amount.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen their new passports recently?

When I applied for renewal in late April I told them I need ours for a resort trip in late September - not sure if that makes any difference or not but I will need to cancel the trip if we don't see them by mid-September I think.

Anyone have any trips planned that they think they can realistically take?

15 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

We submitted for new passports on March 26th or 27th. Checks cashed the following Monday. We are still "In Process".

Same thing for us with Global Entry.  They cashed my check quick enough, but still no available appointments to do the interview.  Since this is a renewal, you'd think they'd just renew it and be done.  I don't really see the point of another interview when things are this backed up.  Whatever...

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Same thing for us with Global Entry.  They cashed my check quick enough, but still no available appointments to do the interview.  Since this is a renewal, you'd think they'd just renew it and be done.  I don't really see the point of another interview when things are this backed up.  Whatever...

Is it your first time applying?  

We renewed the Canadian Version called Nexus, and got our new cards in weeks.  This was in early April. All the paperwork is done in the States. No interview, but it said when applying it said we might need to have one if requested by them.

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Is it your first time applying?  

We renewed the Canadian Version called Nexus, and got our new cards in weeks.  This was in early April. All the paperwork is done in the States. No interview, but it said when applying it said we might need to have one if requested by them.

No, this is a renewal.  We've both had GE for the past 5 years.  That's why I said I think it's stupid to make us do another interview.  When I check my status online it still says "Conditionally Approved" and wants me to make an appointment...but of course, no appointments are available.  My GE expires at the end of this month.  I applied and paid back in Feb.  PITA