Cruise Critic News: Carnival Cruise Line Limits Capacity on Select Voyages in May and June

LauraS

17 minutes ago, eileen2664 said:

This doesn't sound good 😞

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

While this does restrict cruise ship operations in the US for now, it also provides that the cruise lines must come up with Covid response plans to be submitted to the CDC, and these can lead the director of the CDC to modify or rescind the order, if he feels that these plans are sufficient.  From what I read, the extension is mainly to cover a period where the lines need to come up with their plans, and then things will be revisited.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sugar67 said:

I did a quick scan of the PDF attached to this document.  Am I reading it right that cruising is basically ceased until further notice?

Chengkp75 posted some important bits out of the document. I read the document and agree that it is an order for cruise lines to put plans in place.  The underlying "date" is the declaration of a public health state of emergency by the CDC and HHS.  Right now, that is still May 1. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gary6177 said:

Carnival is doing a PR stunt and talking a bunch of nonsense.  The cruise industry is going to take a huge brutal beating for the rest of this year. 

I have a cruise that I am waiting to get cancelled that departs on May 24th.   There is no way I am putting myself on that petri dish and I am sure the vast majority of people booked on that cruise would also not subject themselves to being put on that petri dish as well. 

Its a joke that they haven't already cancelled their may and June cruises.  It makes me loose a lot of respect for them as a corporation that they would consider putting their guests and their staff in danger by even pondering  starting cruising again in May or June. 

Makes me wonder if they are so reckless with wanting to start sailing again in May or June, what other safety aspects of their ship do they neglect behind the scenes?

i think you all are in for shock how many will be wanting to cruise after 3 months in quarantine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

This excuse of closing off bookings due to managing the # of pax, seems to me like a way to keep people booking that $400 6 or 7 day cruise you know 99% will be cancelled to get the $600 obc.

I cant be the only one thought of doing this.

I think they know these cruises will be cancelled in late may, saves them paying out a bunch of obc and saves all that processing time.

Always the optimist

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Doctors are the ones to collect and report empirical data. Bureaucrats have nothing to do with it.

Listen to the doctors. They are not saying there is a cure, vaccine, or reliable safe therapies. 

Actually, the doctors are saying it works.  There are doctors all over the world at this point who have done their own “studies” on their own patients and say it is working.  If you look for the information, it is out there.  

But I think the kind of empirical data to which you are referring is compiled by bureaucrats,  many in government and many in quasi government organizations, most visibly the CDC and WHO, many with MDs, and most do not actually practice medicine.   They define the parameters of data they will look at and how they will interpret it.  And they take forever to do it.  Look at what patients and doctors are saying on the ground.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugar67 said:

I did a quick scan of the PDF attached to this document.  Am I reading it right that cruising is basically ceased until further notice?

Yes, that is correct.  It bans cruising from US ports/waters for 100 days unless the order is rescinded by the CDC and it imposes very strict demands for the ships to even stay in port.  Hope the industry comes up with acceptable answers.  Attached is the PDF.

No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships.pdf

It is 100 days from March 15.  So late June is open.  And as you said, the CDC could rescind it earlier.  I also seems like it can be challenged since the CDC is an unelected, unaccountable bureaucracy.  But I doubt CCL would bother with that.  It does make me wonder if they might start leaving from other places.  Maybe the Bahamas.

2 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Yes, that is correct.  It bans cruising from US ports/waters for 100 days unless the order is rescinded by the CDC and it imposes very strict demands for the ships to even stay in port.  Hope the industry comes up with acceptable answers.  Attached is the PDF.

No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships.pdf 107.47 kB · 0 downloads

7 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

It is 100 days from March 15.  So late June is open.  And as you said, the CDC could rescind it earlier.  I also seems like it can be challenged since the CDC is an unelected, unaccountable bureaucracy.  But I doubt CCL would bother with that.  It does make me wonder if they might start leaving from other places.  Maybe the Bahamas.

The order is dated April 9 and says "100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register", not 100 days from 3/15.   But yes, it can certainly be rescinded and yes, ships can move elsewhere and sail from there if another country is willing to take all 100+ ships now in US ports/waters, a tall order.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Always the optimist

Lol not sure what you mean?

I think may and june cruises will be cancelled but carnival doesnt want to say so or have more to process so they closed bookings. 

I dont see it as either, just realistic 

43 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The order is dated April 9 and says "100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register", not 100 days from 3/15.   But yes, it can certainly be rescinded and yes, ships can move elsewhere and sail from there if another country is willing to take all 100+ ships now in US ports/waters, a tall order.

Actually it says nothing about April 9 and instead says it is a reissue if the March 14 order with new stipulations.  So it starts March 14 but they clarified that it includes ALL Cruise lines, even those that previously shut down voluntarily, and then it goes on to try and impose new requirements upon cruise lines.

4 hours ago, broberts said:

Doctors are the ones to collect and report empirical data. Bureaucrats have nothing to do with it.

Listen to the doctors. They are not saying there is a cure, vaccine, or reliable safe therapies. 

yes, I agree, listen to the doctors...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/65-percent-physicians-survey-anti-142800139.html

11 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Actually it says nothing about April 9 and instead says it is a reissue if the March 14 order with new stipulations.  So it starts March 14 but they clarified that it includes ALL Cruise lines, even those that previously shut down voluntarily, and then it goes on to try and impose new requirements upon cruise lines.

Try this, the CDC April 9 Update:   https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

or this  https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

The new order is dated today and has not been published in the Federal Register yet but it will, I cannot give you a date.  The date the new order is published in the FR is the date that starts the 100 day clock.  However this is moot; I expect that 1) the industry will come up with an acceptable plan and the new order will then be rescinded or 2) the CDC will issue another order before the 100 day expiration.  OK?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slavens_09 said:

Haha looking at the list “many” have not canceled past the middle of May.

It appears that it is a moot point. CDC has now issues a ban, for an additional 100 days, starting today, for any and all cruises.

6 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

It appears that it is a moot point. CDC has now issues a ban, for an additional 100 days, starting today, for any and all cruises.

You missed the part of the order that said it could be changed or modified at any time.

15 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Try this, the CDC April 9 Update:   https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

or this  https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

The new order is dated today and has not been published in the Federal Register yet but it will, I cannot give you a date.  The date the new order is published in the FR is the date that starts the 100 day clock.  However this is moot; I expect that 1) the industry will come up with an acceptable plan and the new order will then be rescinded or 2) the CDC will issue another order before the 100 day expiration.  OK?

Exactly, the order is dated March 14.  It is not a new order but a reissue of the order with new stipulations.  If it was a new order it would not say that it was a reissue.  It would specifically state that the 100 days is from April 9.  Instead it says that the order began March 14.

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Even if the cruise lines knew they'd be shut down much longer, they wouldn't announce that to the public. If they announced that they're going to be shut down through June or longer, their stocks would nosedive faster & farther than they did last month.

I definitely agree with your point about shutdowns impacting stocks and trying to control that as much as possible. It will be interesting to see what happens with stock prices for the major cruise lines tomorrow in light of the CDC’s latest 100 days announcement regarding cruising. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cafedumonde said:

Exactly, the order is dated March 14.  It is not a new order but a reissue of the order with new stipulations.  If it was a new order it would not say that it was a reissue.  It would specifically state that the 100 days is from April 9.  Instead it says that the order began March 14.

Today's order, or reissue, or whatever you want to call it, mandates far more requirements than the previous order and has yet to be published in the FR (I checked, it is not there) but when it is published in the FR, that is the date that will start the clock, it's straightforward.   But suit yourself, believe as you wish...  Have a good evening.  🙂

57 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah....that will show them.   Really?

Sorry if they don’t have enough brain cells to realize they shouldn’t be getting on a cruise ship in mid may or June then they get what they deserve. I feel bad for the people in early March who got stuck because they didn’t really know the risks,  but if you get stuck in mid may or early June I stand by my earlier statement.  They have been warned and they assumed the risk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gary6177 said:

Sorry if they don’t have enough brain cells to realize they shouldn’t be getting on a cruise ship in mid may or June then they get what they deserve. I feel bad for the people in early March who got stuck because they didn’t really know the risks,  but if you get stuck in mid may or early June I stand by my earlier statement.  They have been warned and they assumed the risk.

I actually think that last ship that left Argentina was in the wrong. Was it march 11th? They did know by then. Carnival corp messed up on that decision. Coral Princess. The last one scheduled to get in last Saturday.

I would say 95% knew by then or they were living in a closet.

Just goes to prove people will cruise if allowed to. We definitely knew about this virus when this ship left.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1