Cruise Critic News: Carnival Cruise Line Limits Capacity on Select Voyages in May and June

LauraS

9 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Exactly, the order is dated March 14.  It is not a new order but a reissue of the order with new stipulations.  If it was a new order it would not say that it was a reissue.  It would specifically state that the 100 days is from April 9.  Instead it says that the order began March 14.

Wasn't the original order 30 days and it has been "extended" an additional 100 days?

So it is possible to go until July unless ALL stipulations are meet.

Sure it can end earlier , just like everything else. Many states Social Distancing was originally 30 days that have now been extended another 30.

All extensions/timelines are at the discretion of agency's/governments.

We can go back and forth with our speculation, which aren't going to change those agency's Final say.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 11:17 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand there are reasons for announcing cancellations the way they are doing it, but I wish Carnival, and other cruise lines for that matter, would just state the obvious that no one is going on a cruise any time soon. Articles like this one give people hope that cruises might actually happen in May or June. The chances of that happening are the same as the Bengals winning the Super Bowl next season. 

Hi Philly, I'm a Bengals fan.  I know cruising is on hold for a while, but man, that comment cut deep, really deep.  Ouch!  🙂😄😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gary6177 said:

Sorry if they don’t have enough brain cells to realize they shouldn’t be getting on a cruise ship in mid may or June then they get what they deserve. I feel bad for the people in early March who got stuck because they didn’t really know the risks,  but if you get stuck in mid may or early June I stand by my earlier statement.  They have been warned and they assumed the risk.

My comment was on gloating on it if it occurred.  I am understand both sides, hard part is finding the common ground in the middle that works 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I actually think that last ship that left Argentina was in the wrong. Was it march 11th? They did know by then. Carnival corp messed up on that decision. Coral Princess. The last one scheduled to get in last Saturday.

I would say 95% knew by then or they were living in a closet.

Just goes to prove people will cruise if allowed to. We definitely knew about this virus when this ship left.

Im not so sure on the dates and finality of a go or not go decisions, but its a moot point now.  People want to cruise, some are willing to take more risks than others.  The hard part is knowing when it will work for everybody.  The answer will not be 100% (it might be for some but not for cruise lines to move forward). 

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Im not so sure on the dates and finality of a go or not go decisions, but its a moot point now.  People want to cruise, some are willing to take more risks than others.  The hard part is knowing when it will work for everybody.  The answer will not be 100% (it might be for some but not for cruise lines to move forward). 

Well I was so sure my april 26th was a go I printed out parking and boarding pass. I thought this would pass. I admit I was ready to cruise. 

This was before Dallas closed up. Now even I'm worried. .. though I'm not scared. Part of me says if I get it I get it, then I'm maybe immune. Let's get it over with and move on. I am one for reopening the country by the end of next month. I know slowly. Watching Austria who has weekly plans in place to open. I think trump watching them too, how it goes.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well I was so sure my april 26th was a go I printed out parking and boarding pass. I thought this would pass. I admit I was ready to cruise. 

This was before Dallas closed up. Now even I'm worried. .. though I'm not scared. Part of me says if I get it I get it, then I'm maybe immune. Let's get it over with and move on. I am one for reopening the country by the end of next month. I know slowly. Watching Austria who has weekly plans in place to open. I think trump watching them too, how it goes.

Agree, and there not going to be easy decisions, and right there with you on wanting to go.

13 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Actually, the doctors are saying it works.  There are doctors all over the world at this point who have done their own “studies” on their own patients and say it is working.  If you look for the information, it is out there.  

But I think the kind of empirical data to which you are referring is compiled by bureaucrats,  many in government and many in quasi government organizations, most visibly the CDC and WHO, many with MDs, and most do not actually practice medicine.   They define the parameters of data they will look at and how they will interpret it.  And they take forever to do it.  Look at what patients and doctors are saying on the ground.  

You are making the unsubstantiated claim. Provide data to back it up. If "doctors are saying it works" surely you can provide verifiable statements. 

If there was a safe and effective cure I would expect hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of doctors world wide would be using it. The only people I know of claiming a proven cure is available are not licensed to practice medicine and likely know as much about treating COVID-19 as the orangutans in my local zoo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, broberts said:

You are making the unsubstantiated claim. Provide data to back it up. If "doctors are saying it works" surely you can provide verifiable statements. 

If there was a safe and effective cure I would expect hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of doctors world wide would be using it. The only people I know of claiming a proven cure is available are not licensed to practice medicine and likely know as much about treating COVID-19 as the orangutans in my local zoo.

lol, and you were doing so well.  Is it commonly accepted? no  are there doctors who are deploying and have had success including complete cures? yes

Gov. Abbott in TX will open everything up by next week - which includes Galveston

I can't wait to be on one of these cruises with less passengers - A Dream Cruise

No lines - no chair problems - not worried about my steakhouse reservation

Driving to the port so no worries about getting a flight

I will gladly "sacrifice" to be one of the first cruisers back out

Plus, all of the "bad mood" people will not be on the cruise - Yay!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LuckyTheRooster said:

Gov. Abbott in TX will open everything up by next week - which includes Galveston

I can't wait to be on one of these cruises with less passengers - A Dream Cruise

wow! You realize how the circulation works on a cruise ship? It’s not like an airplane, it’s a straight up Petri dish! 

When the ship get quarantined at sea send us some photos from inside your cabin when you are quarantined!

On 4/10/2020 at 7:41 AM, gary6177 said:

Sorry if they don’t have enough brain cells to realize they shouldn’t be getting on a cruise ship in mid may or June then they get what they deserve. I feel bad for the people in early March who got stuck because they didn’t really know the risks,  but if you get stuck in mid may or early June I stand by my earlier statement.  They have been warned and they assumed the risk.

I was one of those people who "got stuck" on a ship in early March. Me and nearly 4,000 other passengers on the Horizon's last cruise before the shut-down. We returned to Miami on 3/15. But here's the thing...we weren't stuck. Every single person who was on that cruise chose to go, not turn around and go home. The crew put a ton of effort into cleaning regularly and making sure passengers washed their hands often. We were less at risk on that cruise than when we got back to the States. No cases on board the ship and only six total cases between four ports of call. No one felt stuck, no one was in a panic, no one talked about the virus, everyone went on having fun just like any other cruise. Don't feel bad for us, take your pity somewhere else. I have enough brain cells to live my life the way I please. If others are comfortable with going on a cruise in the coming months, yes, they take the risk. It doesn't make them stupid, as you claim. What's it to you anyway?

For those of you who continue to attack anyone who's willing to cruise as soon as the cruise lines resume service, did any of you stop to think that, in all likelihood, they won't start up again until it can be done safely? Since the Trump admin. were the ones who requested that the cruise lines shut down to begin with, don't you think they'll have something to say about when the lines start up again? Do you really think Carnival will resume sailings if all other cruise lines come out and say it's still too dangerous and they're going to wait longer? Carnival knows how that'd make them look, and they don't want that kind of publicity. These decisions will be made by people with a lot more knowledge and who are privy to a lot more information than a few armchair infectious disease "experts" on the internet. The same people on here who, about a month ago, were saying, "It's nothing compared to the flu," and berated anyone who said anything different.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I was one of those people who "got stuck" on a ship in early March. Me and nearly 4,000 other passengers on the Horizon's last cruise before the shut-down. We returned to Miami on 3/15. But here's the thing...we weren't stuck. Every single person who was on that cruise chose to go, not turn around and go home. The crew put a ton of effort into cleaning regularly and making sure passengers washed their hands often. We were less at risk on that cruise than when we got back to the States. No cases on board the ship and only six total cases between four ports of call. No one felt stuck, no one was in a panic, no one talked about the virus, everyone went on having fun just like any other cruise. Don't feel bad for us, take your pity somewhere else. I have enough brain cells to live my life the way I please. If others are comfortable with going on a cruise in the coming months, yes, they take the risk. It doesn't make them stupid, as you claim. What's it to you anyway?

For those of you who continue to attack anyone who's willing to cruise as soon as the cruise lines resume service, did any of you stop to think that, in all likelihood, they won't start up again until it can be done safely? Since the Trump admin. were the ones who requested that the cruise lines shut down to begin with, don't you think they'll have something to say about when the lines start up again? Do you really think Carnival will resume sailings if all other cruise lines come out and say it's still too dangerous and they're going to wait longer? Carnival knows how that'd make them look, and they don't want that kind of publicity. These decisions will be made by people with a lot more knowledge and who are privy to a lot more information than a few armchair infectious disease "experts" on the internet. The same people on here who, about a month ago, were saying, "It's nothing compared to the flu," and berated anyone who said anything different.

Ty, great points. 

6 hours ago, gary6177 said:

wow! You realize how the circulation works on a cruise ship? It’s not like an airplane, it’s a straight up Petri dish! 

When the ship get quarantined at sea send us some photos from inside your cabin when you are quarantined!

Our resident cruise line chief engineer on these boards has posted several times how the air conditioning circulates air. It is the exact opposite of what you are saying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuckyTheRooster said:

News to me and I'm in dallas. I doubt we will be released from our lock down, or businesses will open.

Ok I read it. It doesnt say texas will be reopened next week. Here is what it says

The governor said: "Next week I will be providing an executive order talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses."

Abbott said any action taken would be done “in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization.”

He added: “We will focus on protecting lives while restoring livelihoods. We can and we must do this.”

Schools, restaurants, bars and gyms across Texas have been closed since March 19, when Abbott signed an executive order to force their closure.

At the time, the governor said: "Working together, we must defeat COVID-19 with the only tool that we have available to us – we must strangle its expansion by reducing the ways that we are currently transmitting it.

“We are doing this now, today, so that we can get back to business as

Edited by firefly333

You do realize that you Governor can't open the ports, right?

27 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:
10 hours ago, LuckyTheRooster said:

You do realize that you Governor can't open the ports, right?

It doesnt say he is reopening anything.

Says he is making a plan. The plan is probably not ready set go, everything open today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

You should consider yourself blessed that you were not quarantined at sea. 

BRAVO!  You got a nice vacation! You want a cookie?

Now, how many people were killed as a result of this?  How many people were carrying COVID-19 on the ship, passed it onto potentially 4K other people, who passed it along to someone else when the ship returned to port? 

You see where I am going with this?  You were in a petri dish and germs were being passed along to thousands of people who in turn passed it along to thousands of others.

You are very selfish if you want to continue cruising while this pandemic takes place.  

Because of your selfishness, I really do hope you go cruising in May or June and I hope you book an inside cabin and get quarantined at sea so you and anyone else on that ship dont infect anyone else on land with your reckless actions.

SHame on you. You should know better.

11 hours ago, LuckyTheRooster said:

Lucky, I am not sure what part of the state you are from. I live in Northeast Texas and apex is going to happen in the next two weeks.  To say that Abbott is going to open Texas for business next week is not accurate.  More people will get sick and more people will die from this virus before anybody boards a cruise ship.  I still say September at the earliest 

Edited by Hobby3333
Content

We are all talking and nothing is happening just yet.

BTW checked on SWA this morning and they are not flying to any of the Caribbean until June 28th at this point in time, so I doubt there is any chance of a cruise ship visiting either.

6 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

We are all talking and nothing is happening just yet.

BTW checked on SWA this morning and they are not flying to any of the Caribbean until June 28th at this point in time, so I doubt there is any chance of a cruise ship visiting either.

Might just be a SWA thing, or perhaps an originating airport thing.  I just looked on Kayak and was able to find flights from Cleveland to Honduras, Cozumel and Grand Cayman in early June.  Not saying that's indicative of whether there will be cruises then or not, just that the airports appear to be open in those places.

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

...  More people will get sick and more people will die from this virus before anybody boards a cruise ship.  I still say September at the earliest 

True. So many seem to think that reaching an "apex" will mark the end of islations. Far from it, it just means that a plateau has been reached. The most likely scenario is a number of weeks following with 10K - 20k+ new cases a day.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, eileen2664 said:

Might just be a SWA thing, or perhaps an originating airport thing.  I just looked on Kayak and was able to find flights from Cleveland to Honduras, Cozumel and Grand Cayman in early June.  Not saying that's indicative of whether there will be cruises then or not, just that the airports appear to be open in those places.

Might be but CLE to Aruba shows June 29th as next available date to book. It's just a guessing game right now.

The question  is will the cruise ships be on same timeframe. It's going to be very interesting how all the pieces come together.

35 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Might be but CLE to Aruba shows June 29th as next available date to book. It's just a guessing game right now.

The question  is will the cruise ships be on same timeframe. It's going to be very interesting how all the pieces come together.

True

Especially if a thread becomes "contentious " and off topic as this did,  fact based posts can get eaten when they lead to off topic or inappropriate comments. This thread went WAY off topic etc. But there were helpful and insightful posts.

Just a reminder -- if you use the "quote" option when you reply, and that reply is removed for a board violation -- the quoted post also departs. I realize that quoting a prior post often makes your response easier to understand but it also runs the risk of not being there if the response violates guidelines. This is a catch 22 but may clarify? Unfortunately there is no way to keep the quoted portion of a post but remove the offending response.