I'm beginning to think cruises might resume much sooner than I expected.

mianmike

20 hours ago, Fartlek said:

I know I’m not getting near a cruise ship until there is a vaccine.  Regardless of your thoughts I would bet a lot of $$ that no one will be cruising until 2022 if the lines survive 

2022 i will take your bet any day of the week.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Unless this is no longer a public health emergency by the time Carnival wants to send their first 'social distancing' ships out, it's not happening.  US ports are closed to cruise ships for 100 days or until this is no longer a public health emergency, or until cruise ships come up with a plan to handle corona that includes testing, hospital-like medical facilities (which include ventilators, PPE & doctors sufficiently trained in infectious disease protocol), and agreements with commercial carriers and hospitals to take any patients they may have to transfer before the ships even set said.  No USCG evacuations, and chartered flights to get non-affected passengers home.

It's unlikely Carnival is going to have any ships sailing in May or June, but more power to them if they do.

i think a plan is already in place, and they will make an agreement before 60 days. 

I read that a certain  middle eastern country bailed out Carnival.  You could not give me a Carnival cruise.  Total blood money.  Government still not cooperating with 9/11 commission and hiding key suspects.  One of the most repressive regimes in the world who allegedly murdered US journalist.

WILL NEVER EVEN PRICE a Carnival cruise and all the other lines they own.

I guess I am stuck with NCL 🤑

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

well i agree with that,  im only saying that they did not ban all cruises for 100 days, because they simply cant do it.  if carnival decides to run cruises out of Dominican repubilic  ,they are free to do so . 

Hallelujah!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I read that a certain  middle eastern country bailed out Carnival.  You could not give me a Carnival cruise.  Total blood money.  Government still not cooperating with 9/11 commission and hiding key suspects.  One of the most repressive regimes in the world who allegedly murdered US journalist.

WILL NEVER EVEN PRICE a Carnival cruise and all the other lines they own.

I guess I am stuck with NCL 🤑

well you do know the president has done business with them also , many times. and has golf courses and property there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

well you do know the president has done business with them also , many times. and has golf courses and property there. 

First country he chose to visit after taking office, as opposed to our actual allies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skeeter195 said:

Don't worry about cruises to nowhere once the all clear is given to sail again.  Every island and port of call will be begging for ships to stop there.  Just look at how the US economy is doing right now.  A lot of these ports are almost dependent on tourism or else they cannot survive.  Safe or not they will be allowing ships to dock.  Sure some ports have refused a ship to dock here and there but once the starting gun is fired here in the US to leave they will be welcoming ships with open arms.  This may be sad but so very true. 

Nope, don’t think so.  Maybe a few ports that exist only for cruise ships.  I can’t imagine most of the Alaskan ports will allow ships in any time soon, especially the smaller towns like Haines, Skagway, and Hoonah.  Glacier Bay won’t let them in either.  Bar Harbor has banned cruise ships until July 1 and will likely extend that ban if there is any corona virus risk, as will Rockland and Portland. In addition, Canada is closed until July 1 and will also extend that ban if the situation warrants and it’s difficult to cruise either Maine or Alaska without stopping in Canada at some point.  Since Alaska and Maine have the majority of ports of call in the US, there aren’t many other places for them to go.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Folks, please stop with the politics.  It doesn't belong here.  Thank you.

When governments inject themselves into cruising its fair to discuss.  We would not be talking governments and politics if the politicians and governments did not get involved in cruising.  Completely wrong that it cant be discussed since they are buying parts of the cruising industry for political purposes.  Its censorship that it would not be allowed to be discussed in a cruising forum.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Nope, don’t think so.  Maybe a few ports that exist only for cruise ships.  I can’t imagine most of the Alaskan ports will allow ships in any time soon, especially the smaller towns like Haines, Skagway, and Hoonah.  Glacier Bay won’t let them in either.  Bar Harbor has banned cruise ships until July 1 and will likely extend that ban if there is any corona virus risk, as will Rockland and Portland. In addition, Canada is closed until July 1 and will also extend that ban if the situation warrants and it’s difficult to cruise either Maine or Alaska without stopping in Canada at some point.  Since Alaska and Maine have the majority of ports of call in the US, there aren’t many other places for them to go.

you dont think small islands and countries want tourism money?  you are sadly mistaken.  we are not talking canada here.  

22 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

When governments inject themselves into cruising its fair to discuss.  We would not be talking governments and politics if the politicians and governments did not get involved in cruising.  Completely wrong that it cant be discussed since they are buying parts of the cruising industry for political purposes.  Its censorship that it would not be allowed to be discussed in a cruising forum.  

Well said

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

While I don’t  disagree with you, the cruise industry is the only industry that didn’t voluntarily shut down. Disney, Vegas, and everything in between shut down for the safety of there guest and staff. If GOVERNMENTS across the world not just the USA didn’t step in the cruise lines would still be sailing into every port around the world.

• Like 2

Is there a problem with the board?  I'm getting a "your post is hidden" and "your post must be approved by a moderator".   

Let me try this again...lol

-------------------------------------------------

The problem here David is that it never gets discussed in an intelligent and respectful manner.  Big difference between talking about government actions and throwing innuendos  and barbs at politicians, whatever side of the fence you sit on.  All that accomplishes is to divide people and more so make the Moderators delete posts and close down threads.  All of us have seen this happen numerous times.

• Like 2

Vanderbilt University hospital just today released this reference Tennessee.   However, it applies in any situation until such time as the virus is eradicated, a vaccine is available, or we have all had it.  A cruise just flat not happen until then because of what this statement is saying.  

ECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

If Tennesseans abandon the social distancing efforts that succeeded at slowing the spread of the coronavirus, more than one out of every 10 state residents could be infected and 50,000 people may be hospitalized in May, Vanderbilt researchers said Friday.

These predictions come from an unlikely scenario where social distancing is reversed despite the advocacy of public health experts and local and state leaders. But the research illustrates the harrowing potential for the virus to spread if residents ignore instructions to minimize exposure.

Even a few people could inflame the outbreak, like embers sparking a wildfire, researchers said. And Tennessee has so much to lose.

Newsletter: Stay safe and informed with updates on the spread of the coronavirus

“Our model says the over 4,000 cases we have in the state of Tennessee right now could have been sparked by as a few as 10 patients six weeks ago," Melinda Buntin, a Vanderbilt health policy professor, said Friday. "So it doesn't take many of those 4,000 cases out there going to Easter Sunday services and the like to spark a huge resurgence in cases across the state of Tennessee."

4 hours ago, Kirchoff91 said:

2022 i will take your bet any day of the week.

Here is my logic.  Even tonight the “experts” are saying 18-24 months for a vaccine.  Cruises will the very last to get going.  Very last, so add another 6 months.  We are in 2022.  Hope I’m wrong. 

Curious how you think it will be sooner?  

22 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

Here is my logic.  Even tonight the “experts” are saying 18-24 months for a vaccine.  Cruises will the very last to get going.  Very last, so add another 6 months.  We are in 2022.  Hope I’m wrong. 

Curious how you think it will be sooner?  

As long as the numbers go down and they can keep this under control they are not going to make cruises sit. The media is blowing this up like they do everything else. My GF is an ICU nurse and I work in a Police Department so I know how serious this is but the cruise industry  will be back before 2022.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if any of you are aware or not, but the CDC has extended the' No Sail Order' another 100 days, which puts it to about July 24th in North America.  It will require full implementation via the executive branch, however this discussion, is a moot point.  I'm confident July 24th or so should be a good point to begin to reopen, however nothing halting sailing in Europe or other continents.

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Our government banished all cruise ships back to the port they are registered in.

We have Ruby Princess here because it is under a homicide investigation still. 

Don't think cruising will start up here again until there is a vaccine. There isn't a chance until then the government would allow the ships back.

I'd be really happy for ncl to cancel my May & June cruises so that we could get a refund not a fcc 

1 hour ago, Kirchoff91 said:

As long as the numbers go down and they can keep this under control they are not going to make cruises sit. The media is blowing this up like they do everything else. My GF is an ICU nurse and I work in a Police Department so I know how serious this is but the cruise industry  will be back before 2022.

You and your GF are much closer to the action.  Thanks for what you are doing.  Hope your right for so many reasons.  

I keep reading the cruise lines have been prohibited from sailing for 100 days.  Firstly, the "100 days" is an arbitrarily number and for the most part irrelevant.  Every Federal order I have ever seen has had an expiration date.  The Director can rescind the order tomorrow or next month or he could decide to extent the order another 120 days.  There is no way they can accurately predict whether the Covid-19 will be sufficiently eradicated in 100 days to allow cruising.  Rarely do Federal orders expire on their own, most are rescinded.  The decision to rescind an order is contingent upon the existing conditions achieving specified parameters and objectives (assuming no political interference).  If the objectives have not been met the order will be extended (again, assuming no political interference).

Secondly, the name “No Sail Order” is a misnomer.  Nowhere in the order does it explicitly prohibit under any circumstance cruising with 250+ passengers.  Essentially, the order prohibits cruise lines from sailing "except as directed by the USCG, in consultation with HHS/CDC personnel and, as appropriate, as coordinated with Federal, State, and local authorities."  And the cruise line has obtained the controlled free pratique via the approved mitigation plan.   

With the No Sail Order in place, at the appropriate time and status of Covid-19, one or two cruise lines could be approved to resume cruises as they would have met and satisfied the requirements of the USCG, HHS/CDC and local and state authorities.  Cruise lines who have not obtained the controlled free pratique nor satisfied the requirements of the USCG, HHS/CDC would still be prohibited from sailing.   

Of course this could be all for not as the President could direct the HHS Director to rescind the order effective 6:00 am on May 15th. 

21 minutes ago, roger001 said:

And now South Korea has announced that 91 previously cured virus patients now have it again.   That sucks....making the vaccine appear to be the only answer.  

A vaccine may be available sooner than we think.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-11/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-autumn-says-oxford-professor-sarah-gilbert/

We can always hope.

Another possibility is that the virus mutate to somehing less dangerous

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, roger001 said:

And now South Korea has announced that 91 previously cured virus patients now have it again.   That sucks....making the vaccine appear to be the only answer.  

That suggests it may be very difficult to create an effective vaccine. Vaccines work by making your immune system act as though you have already been infected by producing the antibodies that will protect you against the disease. If actually having been infected doesn't produce an effective immune system response then it certainly may be possible that a vaccine can't. 

• Like 1

I can’t even go on my own boat by myself here in Michigan for the next month per the stay at home orders ....if anyone thinks they are getting on a cruise ship with thousands of others in the next three months or even the rest of the year I have a boat to sell you ......mine. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1