I'm beginning to think cruises might resume much sooner than I expected.

mianmike

19 minutes ago, pokerpro5 said:

Lots of delusional people in this thread.

Phase 7 is a long way away.  Believing US-based ships will sail in May or June is pure delusion.

I just reread the thread and could find no one advocating it's a good idea to sail anytime soon.  Carnival on the other hand . . . 

"As we look to our return to service in May and June, we are carefully managing inventory," a Carnival spokesperson tells Cruise Critic. "We anticipate that certain international travel restrictions will remain. We are taking a conservative approach with regard to getting our crews back to the ships, so we have closed inventory on certain sailings so that we don't overextend our ability to provide service on board."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mianmike said:

I just reread the thread and could find no one advocating it's a good idea to sail anytime soon.  Carnival on the other hand . . . 

"As we look to our return to service in May and June, we are carefully managing inventory," a Carnival spokesperson tells Cruise Critic. "We anticipate that certain international travel restrictions will remain. We are taking a conservative approach with regard to getting our crews back to the ships, so we have closed inventory on certain sailings so that we don't overextend our ability to provide service on board."

That statement from CCL is meaningless.  Clearly they are not going to scream publicly that the sky is falling and that they're in trouble.

As I said in my post, it will be a long time until sailing is deemed safe.  I'd be shocked if any cruise ship departs from a US port before October, and probably not even by then.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pokerpro5 said:

That statement from CCL is meaningless.  Clearly they are not going to scream publicly that the sky is falling and that they're in trouble.

As I said in my post, it will be a long time until sailing is deemed safe.  I'd be shocked if any cruise ship departs from a US port before October, and probably not even by then.

I don't follow Carnival so I can't comment whether they're in the habit of making inaccurate public statements.  Seems like a poor business model to me.   

I agree it would be reckless to start cruising in May.  I'm not saying there will be cruising in May but playing devil's advocate I could visualize a scenario where Carnival could think they could cruise in May or June:  

In my past life I have written and/or reviewed several federal orders.  In my previous agency, orders were primarily based on peer reviewed objective and credible data, but occasionally the order was politically influenced.  CDC orders are signed by the Director, a political appointee.   Donald Trump has made it clear he wants to help the cruise industry and his buddy the Chairman of Carnival Micky Airson.  I found Carnival's choice of words interesting: ""We anticipate that certain international travel restrictions will remain."  No mention of U.S. regulations.  Trump has been know to say/promise things only to walk them back after talking to staff or subject matter experts.  Against subject matter expert's advice, is it possible Trump is pushing for cruises to start in May?          

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rachiem said:

If they did sail, who would let them dock?

If the remaining states without a stay at home order weren't landlocked, I'd say the ships could go there.   Other than that the only sure thing would be a trip to the cruise line's private islands. 

1 minute ago, mianmike said:

If the remaining states without a stay at home order weren't landlocked, I'd say the ships could go there.   Other than that the only sure thing would be a trip to the cruise line's private islands. 

yes, I forgot about the private islands...

Anyone who thinks any ship will cruise in May/ June 2020 is delusional.

Without a vaccine cruising is just not safe. Covid19 just needs one host on a ship and as we all know, it spreads like wildfire.

Anyway, they are still trying to evacuate over 6000 people on cruises currently. These passengers are going to struggle to get back home - it is a struggle to get any port to allow passengers to disembark.

Never mind cruising, we need life to return to some semblance of normalcy. Just being out of lockdown will be a blessing but even that looks far off.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/lockdowns-cant-end-until-covid-19-vaccine-found-study-says

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rachiem said:

yes, I forgot about the private islands...

Private islands are not independent countries but rather part of an existing country like Bahamas or Haiti and still subject to their rules and regs.

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Private islands are not independent countries but rather part of an existing country like Bahamas or Haiti and still subject to their rules and regs.

The countries to which the private islands belong to can decide to let the cruiselines anchor if they don't need any assistance from people onshore. I guess that it should be possible to tender to for example Great Stirrup Cay without assistance from onshore people.

4 hours ago, pokerpro5 said:

I know what I will be doing in December. I will be canceling my April 2021 cruise on the Breakaway. The only reason I  haven't cancelled yet is that there are miracles in life and there is the minuscule chance that that things will be back to normal by December.

I feel bad for those that made final payments before this mess was well known. Only a fool would make a final payment now.

With ships still at sea with pax aboard , how can cruise lines even think about sailing? Doesn't make any difference where those ships are.

If ships ( Carnival) sails in May it could turn out to be a disastrous PR situation for them. 

Just reading NCL, Carnival and RCI boards there are far more not wishing to sail soon than those saying No problem we are going.

It's all a gamble , some love the thrill others not so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

With ships still at sea with pax aboard , how can cruise lines even think about sailing? Doesn't make any difference where those ships are.

If ships ( Carnival) sails in May it could turn out to be a disastrous PR situation for them. 

Just reading NCL, Carnival and RCI boards there are far more not wishing to sail soon than those saying No problem we are going.

It's all a gamble , some love the thrill others not so much.

I agree

12 hours ago, Fartlek said:

I know I’m not getting near a cruise ship until there is a vaccine.  Regardless of your thoughts I would bet a lot of $$ that no one will be cruising until 2022 if the lines survive 

We are willing to cruise the first week.... 

22 minutes ago, gmasters said:

I won't be the /first/ week, but once it is determined to be safe, I'll start booking and going again.  Right now, I'm still booked for a December cruise that I fully expect will be happening.

If schools are open, malls are open, hotels and/or resorts are open, and sports stadiums are open, it would be hard to say cruises are banned.  I'm sure the cruise lines are already working on better health monitoring and protection actions.  Its big $ for them.

My prediction was August, and I'm still sticking with that.  That is still 4 months away, so who knows.

51 minutes ago, gmasters said:

Same here.  While there is grave concern over this virus, and rightfully so,  I venture a guess that more Americans, and perhaps citizens of the world, who do not frequent CC as an outlet are more concerned about the economy and returning to work than they are about the virus.  

Nothing is going to happen before 2021, no responsible cruise line will set sail without a vaccine approved.

Insurance will not allow them.

Countries won’t allow them in port.

The whole conversation is ridiculous 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What does this even mean?

I think what the poster is saying is this whole this is so crazy and unbelievable, it wouldn't surprise them if everyone ends up having a unicorn.

Like my adult daughter told me this week, this is just nuts that she's just waiting for the Zombies to arrive to top it all off.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I think what the poster is saying is this whole this is so crazy and unbelievable, it wouldn't surprise them if everyone ends up having a unicorn.

Like my adult daughter told me this week, this is just nuts that she's just waiting for the Zombies to arrive to top it all off.

Unicorns and Zombies in one post?   Impressive.   🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1