Canadian Border Restrictions Have Been Extended For Another 30 Days

gerelmx

It’s interesting to compare different national approaches... In Canada face masks in airports versus open beaches in Florida...

I really hope that our leaders will keep us safe, healthy and hopefully able to enjoy the upcoming years! 

• Thanks 1

Canada doesn't open ports until at least July 1 anyway, so the border thing doesn't mean much to me as a cruiser.  I do think it is a sign of things to come, though, and I doubt that cruises will be sailing in or out of Canada anytime this summer, if this year at all.

• Like 1

Maybe we should all,take personal responsibility for our own safety and health.  If you want to wear a mask, do so and stay safe.  If you Don’t want to go to the beach because it seems unsafe, don’t go.  We don’t always have to turn to elected politicians for common sense.  We have personal responsibility for ourselves and to keep ourselves healthy. 

• Like 11

On 4/18/2020 at 7:58 PM, MACruisers said:

Maybe we should all,take personal responsibility for our own safety and health.  If you want to wear a mask, do so and stay safe.  If you Don’t want to go to the beach because it seems unsafe, don’t go.  We don’t always have to turn to elected politicians for common sense.  We have personal responsibility for ourselves and to keep ourselves healthy. 

100% yes.  I certainly don't want to become a society of people relying on the government to tell and decide for us what is best for us.  Definitely not for me - that is not what the United States is all about.

• Like 4

Except when you, without a mask, cough or sneeze or sing a hymn into the air.  Your mask would have contained the droplets.  My mask, even if an N95, only filters a certain percentage.

The "personal responsibility" meme goes both ways.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

100% yes.  I certainly don't want to become a society of people relying on the government to tell and decide for us what is best for us.  Definitely not for me - that is not what the United States is all about.

For me 100% no.  The problem is that there are a lot of idiots out there.  Even with the shelter in place orders too many people are ignoring social distancing and doing what they darn well please.  Last week listened to a senior manager at the Chicago Police Department.  He said in the two weeks prior the police had broken up more than 2,000 large gatherings.  

Unfortunately relying on idiots to do what is right just plain doesn't work.  I believe in freedoms.  But your freedom ends when it endangers my health and very literally my life.   

• Like 5

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

For me 100% no.  The problem is that there are a lot of idiots out there.  Even with the shelter in place orders too many people are ignoring social distancing and doing what they darn well please.  Last week listened to a senior manager at the Chicago Police Department.  He said in the two weeks prior the police had broken up more than 2,000 large gatherings.  

Unfortunately relying on idiots to do what is right just plain doesn't work.  I believe in freedoms.  But your freedom ends when it endangers my health and very literally my life.   

I get you. I work with tourists - well, I did - and they bring every bug possible into our theatre but you know, you can't live in an artificial reality forever and that's what I believe this is.  There is always going to be an idiot, no matter where you go or what you do.  We will just agree to disagree - but I understand where you are coming from.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

It's not like we are asking you to be sensible for the next 50 years for heavens sake.  Or to turn the USA into something you don't recognize.  It's like another 30 to 60 days.  If you can't do that to save thousands and thousands of lives, well, then.....

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Seems to me that the responsible government officials are basing their decisions on experts in their fields. Not relying on their gut or back room boys with something to gain or lose. Common sense alone doesn't cut it when it comes to something this dangerous.  And leaving these decisions up to the individual is just plain nuts. Everyone would like to see the lock downs relaxed. But doing it too soon or too fast could be disastrous .

Seeing these crazy protests in some states make me doubly glad that our Prime Minister has decided to keep our border closed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Maybe we should all,take personal responsibility for our own safety and health.  If you want to wear a mask, do so and stay safe. 

FYI, wearing a mask does NOT keep you safe... wearing a mask keeps OTHERS safe from you. So people who choose not to wear a mask are putting the rest of us at risk. I wear a mask for you, not for me. IF I am contagious my mask may save you from it. If you are contagious my mask won't save me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mom says said:

Seems to me that the responsible government officials are basing their decisions on experts in their fields. Not relying on their gut or back room boys with something to gain or lose. Common sense alone doesn't cut it when it comes to something this dangerous.  And leaving these decisions up to the individual is just plain nuts. Everyone would like to see the lock downs relaxed. But doing it too soon or too fast could be disastrous .

Seeing these crazy protests in some states make me doubly glad that our Prime Minister has decided to keep our border closed.

One thing to remember is that we are living in a democracy - which is one reason that we can make $ to enjoy cruising. For a democracy to thrive, there must be participation - ie "participatory democracy".  That means inherent challenge to government - in fact it is the obligation of the citizen. When citizens are quiet and accepting of government edicts on a regular basis, you are moving towards totalitarianism. 

I am pleased to see participatory democracy is alive and well in America, via the protests, debates amongst Governors etc. Excellent. I see evidence of this challenge feature in the CDC review of the cruise industry - which was assertive and non accepting of the drivel and inaction from the CLIA. 

Remember experts built the Titanic and experts where at the helm..........

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

They can wear a mask.

Again, wearing masks does not protect someone from catching this.  Masks are to keep you from spreading it to someone else and even that isn't foolproof.

• Like 3

With the restrictions being relaxed in a number of places(a number of which have not even gotten their first wave yet), without adequate guidelines for reopening business, we better hope that this has a similar seasonality as cold and flu (doubtful), or we are probably looking at enough cases over a long enough time to make sure that cruising does not start again in the US this year, and that international travel restrictions will stay in place.  Mostly due to other countries not wanting people from the US to travel there.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 8:58 PM, MACruisers said:

Agree with all but the line in red, some people require defined boundaries and restrictions.  I also agree with others that there is a missing piece here and it's that we have more than ourselves to consider. Just reading the many that have said they would jump on a ship tomorrow (if they could) or the many that would be partying it up in a large group without any thought or consideration of the many others they will come into contact afterwards.

The self mentality is warped and common sense is not equally distributed.

• Like 2