WHO WILL ACCEPT US

Hawkstar33

Restrictions are easing very slowly.  Not nearly out of danger yet.  SOMEDAY,  when we are able to cruise safely,  my fear is that we will be turned away because of where we come from. By cab drivers, ubers, shop owners, etc.  Currently,  In our own country, we aren't able to go certain places without being stopped by local authorities.  Common question while visiting any island or country. WHERE YOU FROM ?   I'm 40 miles from Covid-central.   Who knows what measures other countries will take?   NOBODY  But they need the income.   Gonna just have to wait and see

52 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Restrictions are easing very slowly.  Not nearly out of danger yet.  SOMEDAY,  when we are able to cruise safely,  my fear is that we will be turned away because of where we come from. By cab drivers, ubers, shop owners, etc.  Currently,  In our own country, we aren't able to go certain places without being stopped by local authorities.  Common question while visiting any island or country. WHERE YOU FROM ?   I'm 40 miles from Covid-central.   Who knows what measures other countries will take?   NOBODY  But they need the income.   Gonna just have to wait and see

If we don't get this under control and keep it there, other countries are not going to open up international travel from the US.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, npcl said:

If we don't get this under control and keep it there, other countries are not going to open up international travel from the US.

I believe at some point in time (maybe not this year) at the very minimum Caribbean islands will have no choice for survival but to start opening up ports.  As many ships sail there with 50% or more US passengers I can't see them denying them entry.  Many of these islands literally rely on tourism for close to (if not all) 100% of their income.  Yes, some comes from land visitors.  But a huge amount comes from cruise ships (I'm sure it varies by island).   Whether they want to or not, they will likely have no choice or their people will starve.  Sad but true IMHO

I can see our neighbor to the south, Mexico, opening up to cruise ships before any other country. Even with the travel restrictions, we’ve continued operating flights between the US  and Mexico. It just seems like a logical destination to begin cruises again. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

May be more reliance on pvt islands for starters in the Carib.

"  It's a Beautiful Day at Coco Cay "

CocoCay is one of the Berry Islands, a collection of cays and small Bahamian islands. If the Bahamas are closed to cruise ships, that includes CocoCay. All of the "private islands" are subject to the laws of the countries that they are part of.

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While not an option on Celebrity, river cruising may be the first to open up.   I've never done one but Iain has been wanting to do one for years.

River cruises, being a much smaller group size, and pretty much inside one political entity (the EU) if not a single country would be easier to open.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While not an option on Celebrity, river cruising may be the first to open up.   I've never done one but Iain has been wanting to do one for years.

I agree.  It's likely what Don and I will do as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I can see our neighbor to the south, Mexico, opening up to cruise ships before any other country. Even with the travel restrictions, we’ve continued operating flights between the US  and Mexico. It just seems like a logical destination to begin cruises again. 

Mexico is under a state of emergency and is in worse shape than the US or Canada.  Only essential travel is allowed across the US, Canada and Mexican borders currently and those closures were just extended yesterday for another 30 days.  While flights may still be operating, is it for essential travel only - they aren't letting tourists from the US into Mexico right now as tourism has been deemed "non-essential".

• The United States and Mexico entered a joint initiative March 21 restricting non-essential travel along the U.S.-Mexico land border to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.  On April 20, the initiative was extended for another 30 days.  Non-essential travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, npcl said:

River cruises, being a much smaller group size, and pretty much inside one political entity (the EU) if not a single country would be easier to open.  

Yes, this is a big plus, IMHO.  I read an interesting interview with the co-founder of Ama regarding COVID-19, its impact on river cruising and his thoughts moving forward and that is one of the points he makes:  https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/europe-could-be-cruising-july-us-big-unknown-amawaterways-schreiner

Perhaps a more relevant question should there be an early return to cruising is...  Who will accept us if someone on the ship contracts Covid19?  If there's a credible risk that ships could once again be stuck at sea with Covid19 on board because no port will allow them to dock, there will be a second round of cancellations.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have been thinking the same thing.  RIght now I can't go on a Celebrity cruise because I am old and diabetic and have 2 stents so I am guessing that when the world opens up again I will be looking at river cruises and land tours.

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Perhaps a more relevant question should there be an early return to cruising is...  Who will accept us if someone on the ship contracts Covid19?  If there's a credible risk that ships could once again be stuck at sea with Covid19 on board because no port will allow them to dock, there will be a second round of cancellations.

That is basically the core of the CDC requirements.  If a case is identified on board the cruise line must handle it using their own resources.  So if in US waters there would be more than a credible risk.  Even more when you consider that ships came to Florida because no one else would accept them.

1 hour ago, dns65 said:

Error, replied to the wrong thread.

Mexico is so far behind us in testing and does not have the medical infrastructure or resources that the US has.  In total, Mexico has conducted about 65 tests per million people. The US has conducted 2,250 per million.  Mexico's published numbers aren't telling the whole story.  As a US tourist, I wouldn't go anywhere near Mexico right now.

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

Remembering that there is pretty much no international travel, until restrictions on air travel are mostly eliminated how can any form of cruising restart.  River cruising within a country easier , but except for the USA and Russia cruises either involve lots of international travellers or multiple countries. 

COVID will be mostly gone before this happens.  

It most Definately will not be the Mexican Pacific Coast. So many beautiful ports are ruled by AK carrying drug gang members.  Most ports had few cruise before COVID.  No better now.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are checking out Viking...the bookings for Mississipi River itins are open

Ship is bigger than what we'd prefer..(would like a paddle wheeler ?  boat)  and it' s pricey...but  looks very upscale. Def in the running unless we need the med note.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

CocoCay is one of the Berry Islands, a collection of cays and small Bahamian islands. If the Bahamas are closed to cruise ships, that includes CocoCay. All of the "private islands" are subject to the laws of the countries that they are part of.

Oops.. oh well!  That will require a med note anyhow.

We were yearning to go there with our grand kiddos in a year or 2..?  Maybe we can treat them and their parents,... sounds like a great family stop!

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Oops.. oh well!  That will require a med note anyhow.

We were yearning to go there with our grand kiddos in a year or 2..?  Maybe we can treat them and their parents,... sounds like a great family stop!

Sounds like a great plan! We took our kids and grandkids on a family cruise thee years ago and had a wonderful time, but it didn't include CocoCay.

2 hours ago, MarLieb said:

Mexico is so far behind us in testing and does not have the medical infrastructure or resources that the US has.  In total, Mexico has conducted about 65 tests per million people. The US has conducted 2,250 per million.  Mexico's published numbers aren't telling the whole story.  As a US tourist, I wouldn't go anywhere near Mexico right now.

I'm honestly not trying to be a troll here, but look at what you just said.  Yes, Mexico is statistically behind the US.  But how pathetic is it that the US has only tested 2,250 per million!  That has to improve drastically before sailing can begin (not to mention other openings).  I do agree we have a better medical infrastructure and resources, but our testing remains awful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MarLieb said:

Mexico is under a state of emergency and is in worse shape than the US or Canada.  Only essential travel is allowed across the US, Canada and Mexican borders currently and those closures were just extended yesterday for another 30 days.  While flights may still be operating, is it for essential travel only - they aren't letting tourists from the US into Mexico right now as tourism has been deemed "non-essential".

Thank you, I’m fully aware of the travel restrictions since I work in the airline industry. I’ve flown between the US and Mexico several times during the last month.

True. The US and Mexico aren’t currently in a position to resume leisure travel or cruising. But we are not talking about today, we are talking about the future, once starts settling down. I believe that when that day does come, Mexico will be one of the first to accept cruise ships. Why? First because we share a physical border that is still semi open. Second because, even though restricted, air travel between the two countries is already in place (and believe me, more than just essential travel is occurring). That bridge hasn’t been closed. With that already in place, it seems to me that I will be much easier to open Mexico to leisure travelers than other countries. Several ports in Mexico live off tourism, more specifically the cruise industry. I’m confident that they will be eager to accept cruise ships as soon as they start sailing again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1