Skagway Train in 2020

brittmama

I know PCL cancelled all of there Land and Cruise tours that includes the buses and trains for the rest of the season.  However what about the train in Skagway? Will the train be running or is that closed down as well?  Thank you!!

Edited by brittmama

Highly unlikely that the train will be running.  These towns are totally dependent upon the cruise ships for their tourist livelihood.  While there may be some tourists in town that are on driving vacations, there would most likely not be enough of them to justify running the train.

25 minutes ago, brittmama said:

I know PCL cancelled all of there Land and Cruise tours that includes the buses and trains for the rest of the season.  However what about the train in Skagway? Will the train be running or is that closed down as well?  Thank you!!

They have no updates in the website, but why ask here?  They have an 800# you could call tomorrow and inquire. 

I also imagine if there are cruises in late summer, the border will also be open again.  Not because of the cruises, but just because it's a sign of getting back to some resemblance of normal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

They have no updates in the website, but why ask here?  They have an 800# you could call tomorrow and inquire. 

I also imagine if there are cruises in late summer, the border will also be open again.  Not because of the cruises, but just because it's a sign of getting back to some resemblance of normal.

I tried the 800# and no answer that is why I tried in here.  Maybe I will try again tomorrow. Thank you

• Like 1

Just now, brittmama said:

I tried the 800# and no answer that is why I tried in here.  Maybe I will try again tomorrow. Thank you

Interesting.  Perhaps they just have not opened up for the 2020 season as yet.  I wouldn't know.  If you really want to know, does Skagway have a Chamber of Commerce or other outlet that might know?  They may not be open these days either.  They have an email you might try.

They haven't issued a release for whatever reason. However, right now they're booking with very limited service starting in May. 

And, just as a correction to some misinformation above, some trips do run to Canada. If you ever have the chance ride the whole line - its all so spectacular! 

• Like 1

With Princess cancelling 2020 Alaska cruises, wondering how you will get to Skagway?   Buy a boat in Seattle or Vancouver?"    Fly in on your own?  Take the Alaska ferry?  I am seriously interested... Not being sarcastic🙂️⛴🌈🛳🐬🐋🌅🙂

• Like 2

I read that the White Pass Railroad in Skagway is closed down for at least the beginning of the summer season but, I see you can book it online so, even as early as May so I must have gotten bad information.  

https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/summit-excursion/

Edited by Cruise Raider
Corrected information
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It doesn't always cross the border.  Some runs just go almost to the border and then return.

We've done that trip by both train and van tour.  The train didn't cross the border, as I recall, but the van did.  In addition, the train pretty much hugs the "mountain", while the vans travel the highway on the opposite side of the valley and, if one's lucky, one can see the train across the way.

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

With Princess cancelling 2020 Alaska cruises, wondering how you will get to Skagway?   Buy a boat in Seattle or Vancouver?"    Fly in on your own?  Take the Alaska ferry?  I am seriously interested... Not being sarcastic🙂️⛴🌈🛳🐬🐋🌅🙂

Princess has two ships still sailing Alaska starting in July form Seattle. Emerald and Ruby.  FYI Holland America also has two ships sailing. The Eurodam and Koningsdam.  At least as of now they are going

2 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Check on Google Maps.  You can drive there.  Ignoring the fact that the border between US and Canada is closed, it is 1600 miles from Seattle to Skagway.  Another  way would be to fly to Anchorage, go through the 14 day quarantine period, and drive the 812 miles from Anchorage to Skagway.  You will still have to figure out how to deal with the closed US-Canada border however.

DON

3 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Fly in from Juneau is an option. Also the Alaska State ferry. I spent 5 nights in/near Skagway years ago. Great time of mostly hiking.

Edited by frugaltravel

1 hour ago, brittmama said:

Princess has two ships still sailing Alaska starting in July form Seattle. Emerald and Ruby.  FYI Holland America also has two ships sailing. The Eurodam and Koningsdam.  At least as of now they are going

Maybe. Don't bet the farm on it. Not a big appetite in Seattle for large crowds of tourists flying in town for cruises, re infecting the community. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Thanks, all, for the good thoughts about traveling to Skagway.  My Alaska cruise from Vancouver was canceled, but I am still interested.  I have some pricey RT plane tix to Vancouver.

Good luck on your trip. Hopefully the Alaska 14 day mandated self quarantine for anyone flying to Alaska will be lifted by then.

https://apnews.com/23dbc1a6bd4a855dab397c42fb62a9a7

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I read that the White Pass Railroad in Skagway is closed down for at least the beginning of the summer season but, I see you can book it online so, even as early as May so I must have gotten bad information.  

https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/summit-excursion/

I heard the exact same as you. Wondering if the "reasonable" Covid situation in Alaska eased the restrictions the season would face for them. They'll have a reasonable ability to space people out, particularly given the undoubted low loads they'll be carrying. 

The railway has actually just invested in some new locomotives which arrived a couple weeks ago now, and also sold some old ones headed south now. 

If it is safe, I will make my way there this summer to foam on the new equipment 🙂

Edited by the_thunderbird
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nooptere said:

Maybe. Don't bet the farm on it. Not a big appetite in Seattle for large crowds of tourists flying in town for cruises, re infecting the community. 

Seattle claims to average $4.2 million spending in the community for each ship turnaround there.

10 hours ago, ARRTrain said:

Most of the Alaska Ferries are out of service.  No money for repairs.  They are also on virus shutdown.

2 ferries in service.

http://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/fleet/fleet_status.shtml?_ga=2.260651277.1271210971.1587611645-1131687438.1581642967

Doing AK on the ferries is a lot of fun.  Shame that the state is letting all the ships get in such bad shape.  Wonder what the towns that depend upon the ferries will do w/o them.

DON