Richard Fain Message on Video

Quo Vadis?

I made a few notes of some key points, IMO.  The target audience for this video is TA's.  I appreciate knowing what they are being "told".  One thing the video does not discuss is what specific measures RCL will take for safety when cruising resumes.  I guess that will be a subsequent video.

"Objective to flatten the curve, not eliminate it."

Paraphrase:  Looking forward...there is no single scientifically correct answer

What does the travel and tourism industry do?

1.  what our governments tell us to do.

2.  world has changed...people are concerned.  "Change the way we operate in a fundamental way."  Using the time to learn what needs to be done to ensure safety.  Good, isn't good enough.

3.  TA's need to be informed so that they can advise clients properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

"Objective to flatten the curve, not eliminate it."

This us saying nothing else than: we can live with a few casualties. Who decides when it’s “flat enough” ?

Business over lives...

He also mentioned the treatments we have... we do? First thing I heard.

Of course we all know where he’s coming from. It his job. But TBH, a little overdose of sugarcoating.

Edited by Miaminice

Thanks for sharing..

Video shows his current apearance..love the plaid shirt! 

He is over 71 yrs of age and appears  "chubby" in the video, like so many regular Celebrity cruisers. One wonders;  could he get a dr's fit to cruise note?

Would he want to cruise now?

The video was a good effort to reach out to TAs but  did not offer much new info, It did highlight testing as being very important which is the current big push. 

( Testing here in NY is going full steam ahead looking  for active cases, and starting up for antibody testing. Of course no one is sure yet if having antibodies provides long term protection)

• Like 1

Interesting...but with all the angst surrounding refunds, you'd think he'd offer a reassuring word or two about that to his current customers who are in the midst of this turmoil.

Maybe an acknowledgement that its taking longer than expected, and a promise to refund in X number of days.

Instead, crickets.

This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the brand and its customer relations management strategy.

24 minutes ago, rustycruzr said:

Interesting...but with all the angst surrounding refunds, you'd think he'd offer a reassuring word or two about that to his current customers who are in the midst of this turmoil.

Maybe an acknowledgement that its taking longer than expected, and a promise to refund in X number of days.

Instead, crickets.

This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the brand and its customer relations management strategy.

As he said in the opening line, the video was about preparing to reenter into service. Not refunds. 

45 business days is the refund timeframe being communicated and has been since at least 4/17. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

45 business days is the refund timeframe being communicated and has been since at least 4/17. 

So if this is true, then its up from 30 days, to 30 business days, to 45 days, and now to 45 business days. That's quite the moving target! I suspect next week it'll be 90 days, then 90 business days...

Not very inspiring in the confidence in the brand department...

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, rustycruzr said:

So if this is true, then its up from 30 days, to 30 business days, to 45 days, and now to 45 business days. That's quite the moving target! I suspect next week it'll be 90 days, then 90 business days...

Not very inspiring in the confidence in the brand department...

Posted on 4/17:

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 9.51.54 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmmm.

The information that TAs need is when will refunds and FCCs be made.  The 45 day - or more is truly not enough info - timeline isn't working and cancellation of another month of cruises will likely make things worse.

Sad he suggested we have learned to improve treatment for covid19.  Have seen things that don't work.  Anyone heard of a significant improvement in treatments recently?

Ok, they will follow government guidelines and resuming activity will take time.  With large gatherings like sporting events being cancelled thru the summer and universities discussing online classes only in the fall; why is RCCL suggesting on their website of cruises resuming in June?  

This video reminded me of the old Wendys (?) commercial where the lady's asks "Where's the beef?"

Interesting but my TA said, "Not helpful for so many with FCCs and health conditions or those waiting.  Hopefully something soon."

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

As he said in the opening line, the video was about preparing to reenter into service. Not refunds. 

What he said is of now consequence.  What people here are saying is those of us who have money (some a LOT of $$$$) tied up should have had some reassurances before he commented about returning to service.  Let's put the horse before the cart instead of the other way around.

And 4/17 was only a week ago.  You say it like that was long established gospel.  My guess is you haven't been waiting for a refund for many weeks, if at all.

1 hour ago, rustycruzr said:

Thanks for this.

I rec'd the following on 3/16 directly after I cancelled on line....goes to my moving target comment earlier. Clearly says 30 days...1245671960_30daYrefundacknowledgement.jpg.73546dec437be5dfe92d8ccd55b6998f.jpg

You are quite correct ' a moving target' as in any major situation like this when the timeline for actually sailing will be 'a moving target' expect it.

You may want to consider reading 'Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)' thread for current target date(s) and issues, that is if you have not already?

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

You are quite correct ' a moving target' as in any major situation like this when the timeline for actually sailing will be 'a moving target' expect it.

You may want to consider reading 'Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)' thread for current target date(s) and issues, that is if you have not already?

In health and bon voyage

Agree that the Refund Tracker thread is covering that issue..but want to read more reaction to the video..Any TAs want to comment?

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

In health and bon voyage

Yes, I've been all over it. My point was that RCCL can't even manage to get a communication out to its current customers...customers who are clearly assuming a good measure of risk.

One would think that his corporate communications people would encourage him to give assurances to those whose deposits/payments are being held.

Customers don't want to assume that you (Mr/Ms senior leader) know. They want to hear from you. They don't want moving targets.

And if you do in fact need to change the contract that you made with the customer (as in lengthening the time need to process refunds) then communicate. People will be understanding.

But to go dark? To say nothing...no acknowledgement, no communication that the time frame for processing has changed, that's just amateurish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

What he said is of now consequence.  What people here are saying is those of us who have money (some a LOT of $$$$) tied up should have had some reassurances before he commented about returning to service.  Let's put the horse before the cart instead of the other way around.

And 4/17 was only a week ago.  You say it like that was long established gospel.  My guess is you haven't been waiting for a refund for many weeks, if at all.

In what way are his comments “now of consequence? This video was not for public consumption, it was intended for a specific audience, TA's. There are other threads on this board discussing refunds, no need to rehash here.

Not sure why the OP decided to post the video, but the pot is being stirred...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

In what way are his comments “now of consequence? This video was not for public consumption, it was intended for a specific audience, TA's. There are other threads on this board discussing refunds, no need to rehash here.

The post is being stirred by the lack of refunds not some inane video, intended for public consumption or not. Don't need to be stirred to be angry. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The OP posted because it was pretty much the only thing RCCL has said.  I think the bigger question would be why did RCCL post the video?  It answered nothing.

My TA said there was nothing of interest to her office mates.

Edited by az_tchr

12 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The post is being stirred by the lack of refunds not some inane video, intended for public consumption or not. Don't need to be stirred to be angry. 

The title of this thread has nothing to do with X's refunds, or lack there of. As I pointed out that topic is already being discussed on other threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

The OP posted because it was pretty much the only thing RCCL has said.  I think the bigger question would be why did RCCL post the video?  It answered nothing.

My TA said there was nothing of interest to her office mates.

I agree, there really wasn’t anything of real interest or importance.

Imo, Mr. Fain did it because it was required for him to do as the CEO. At times like these people need to hear from their leaders. At least he kept his message positive:  hang in there, we will get through this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rustycruzr said:

Yes, I've been all over it. My point was that RCCL can't even manage to get a communication out to its current customers...customers who are clearly assuming a good measure of risk.

One would think that his corporate communications people would encourage him to give assurances to those whose deposits/payments are being held.

Customers don't want to assume that you (Mr/Ms senior leader) know. They want to hear from you. They don't want moving targets.

And if you do in fact need to change the contract that you made with the customer (as in lengthening the time need to process refunds) then communicate. People will be understanding.

But to go dark? To say nothing...no acknowledgement, no communication that the time frame for processing has changed, that's just amateurish.

In the CoC terms, I have not seen a time frame for any refund, if you would be so kind as to advise where I need to look for it, I will.

Thank you and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rustycruzr said:

Thanks for posting this Argo...you did us a great service

I was thankful for the video link  post.. Seeing it helps one  judge not only content but how the speaker appears and expresses the message.  As the CEO, he is the top dog....interestingly nothing from LLP

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

In the CoC terms, I have not seen a time frame for any refund, if you would be so kind as to advise where I need to look for it, I will.

Thank you and bon voyage

This was in a memo from LLP, originally on 3/14, then updated on 3/24. It was posted in the alerts section of Celebrity's website. Time frame was 30 days...

LLP Ltr.JPG

Edited by rustycruzr