Trans Tasman Bubble ?

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't see how keeping the virus out of Queensland makes her crazy.

Currently travel restrictions are due to be lifted on 10th July, but they are subject to review each week.

All NSW has to do is keep their numbers down. I don't particularly want to see the borders open just as there is a resurgent spike in Sydney. Let them open up and prove they are handling it before we let them in.

Not sure she is crazy, more likely playing politics. Ironically, NSW's only positive test yesterday was a qld' er, who will be sent back home after quarantine.

The border shutdown is not what you think it is. I personally know of someone who fairly recently (pre-COVID, but some months ago) moved from Sydney to Gold Coast. As they are now a QLD  'resident' they were able to complete an on-line form that allowed them to travel to Sydney (they were already allowed to do that) & return to QLD for the essential reason of collecting belongings from here and taking them back to QLD. The real reason they travelled to Sydney was to catch up with family & friends down here, which they did over last weekend, and then return home - no questions asked. I trust that there was no transmission thru this, but it's hardly the way the the QLD premier is presenting the postion.

I bet the Broncos want the Premier to ban the NSW infidels from crossing the border and smacking their bums like what happened last night 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

This mornings paper reports a disagreement between SA and Vic health depts.  5 of those returning international travellers who came back positive are lumped in with Victoria's number when in fact they were returning South Australians and did quarantine in Melbourne first.

NSW and Vic are the states taking the people returning from overseas and putting them up in hotels so they are reported in our numbers.

I did read today that for the major Australian Health restrictions to be singificantly eased is to have a pattern of only 10 new infections Australia wide, excluding those in quarantine from overseas. Thank goodness they arent playing tribal wars! 

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

What I saw was a PM that had to be dragged into action by the Premiers (including NSW). One who preferred to head off to a football game rather than take the virus seriously. Well done Premiers. I will say that once on board he did step up, unlike during the bushfires. It's a great pity that some of his Federal colleagues now think it's OK to take potshots at Premiers who have been doing the heavy lifting.

Bushfires spread, but they are not contagious. Viruses spread exponentially. There is a reason we've only lost 103 so far, and that was the prompt action taken by officials and the responsible attitude of (most) people. It could easily have been 10,000 or more.

The virus has not gone, it's bubbling away in Sydney and Melbourne especially. We've manged to get the epidemic back to the situation in early March, not to last year. It's here and if it's allowed to spread then it will and we've seen how fast it can spread in Italy and the US. As I understand it, the plan now is to test, test, test, and if an outbreak is found, to isolate everyone involved until it goes away. Good plan if it's implemented correctly.

Let NSW prove they've got it under control, then open the borders.

This is all well and good perhaps, but IF there is no vaccine what happens next flu season? Do you think we should shut the borders again in 2021? Just in case Covid gets out of control like Italy and the US? And does this go on year after year?

Just don’t think closed borders are the best solution when our numbers (even in Sydney & Melbourne) are now so low.

I can understand the other states not wanting to open their borders to NSW & Vic, as CV-19 is still bubbling away quietly in these states, with fresh outbreaks every few days.

The other states are mostly CV-19 free, but they can't open the borders to some states and not others.

30 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

The other states are mostly CV-19 free, but they can't open the borders to some states and not others.

Why not, I can see no reason why some states would let some other states come in but block others (NSW, QLD and Victoria for instance) as the first measure for opening up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

I can understand the other states not wanting to open their borders to NSW & Vic, as CV-19 is still bubbling away quietly in these states, with fresh outbreaks every few days.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Why not, I can see no reason why some states would let some other states come in but block others (NSW, QLD and Victoria for instance) as the first measure for opening up.

Big problem is not new cases.  It is new cases of unknown origin.  Until NSW & Vic can reduce community infection to near zero, forget open borders with those states. 

Not that ACT can close its NSW borders. 🤔

9 hours ago, banzaii said:

Big problem is not new cases.  It is new cases of unknown origin.  Until NSW & Vic can reduce community infection to near zero, forget open borders with those states. 

Not that ACT can close its NSW borders. 🤔

This would present a never ending problem you do realise? UNTIL there is a vaccine this problem “cases of unknown origin” will exist in every State, for years to come. If, as some say, there won’t ever be a vaccine, we better learn to live with this new way of life.

IF someone is not happy to travel to NSW, VIC, SA, WA then just don’t - choose to stay safe in your home. 

Just sayin ........ 🤔

Edited by Porky55

4 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Queensland premier was throwing crap at NSW and lo and behold a 30 yo Q'lander up and dies. Not making light of the death but those in glass houses etc etc.

Sad as this loss if life is, still many unanswered  questions around it, and much silence ............

“NO” other cases in Blackwater .......and he hadn’t left town since February?? 😳

Edited by Porky55

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sad for the person's family, leaving more unanswered queries.

Agreed, and the town, which until then had been totally free of virus. All very sad.

Edited by Porky55

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Yet, hopefully it doesn't and life can resume some normality with just a few of the new restrictions in place.

It makes the closure of the State borders questionable. The closures are holding up the economic recovery of the whole country.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Sad as this loss if life is, still many unanswered  questions around it, and much silence ............

“NO” other cases in Blackwater .......and he hadn’t left town since February?? 😳

May have not left town but hosted a party with reported 20 people attending. Based on reports he didn't get the virus at the party (timing wrong), but maybe infected some?

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

This would present a never ending problem you do realise? UNTIL there is a vaccine this problem “cases of unknown origin” will exist in every State, for years to come. If, as some say, there won’t ever be a vaccine, we better learn to live with this new way of life.

IF someone is not happy to travel to NSW, VIC, SA, WA then just don’t - choose to stay safe in your home. 

Just sayin ........ 🤔

You called the Qld premier crazy for maintaining the border closure for an extra month beyond NSW. At the moment NSW residents can't even travel within NSW for recreation, but that changes on June 1st. The Qld date for that is July 10th. So all the angst is over 4 or 5 weeks of waiting that Sydneysiders may have to get their Gold Coast fix.

Sydney has been the main center of infection so far. I say give NSW a couple of weeks to prove that after opening up they've still got the virus under control, before we let them all over our state.

I don't see how there is a need to repeat political talking points in this forum.

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

It makes the closure of the State borders questionable. The closures are holding up the economic recovery of the whole country.

Didn't the same restrictions that applied to travel within NSW apply to travel to the ACT? The virus hasn't gone away. It took the strenuous efforts of everybody to keep the toll this low. If you remove those efforts, what do you think happens? Hopefully we can get by with minimum restrictions and maximum testing and isolation. We'll see. We certainly won't get by with zero restrictions.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Which made me wonder if the source could have been a on-line purchase arriving by mail that had been handled by an infected sender? Hmm...

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Which made me wonder if the source could have been a on-line purchase arriving by mail that had been handled by an infected sender? Hmm...

I heard on the news the town has a lot of FIFO workers and they were allowed to travel during lock down because their work was classified as essential🙄.

41 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

WHO and the CDC have said that there is currently no evidence to support the theory that COVID-19 can be transmitted via packages, regardless of their origin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't see how there is a need to repeat political talking points in this forum

As my calling the Premier crazy seems to be a problem for you I apologise for this, perhaps a poor choice of word. Meant more the ruling than the person. This was around the day that they had said our State could be locked down until September, so felt a little annoyed.
Nothing to do with politics, everything to do with the personal effects from the economic lockdown. Virus IS under control, economic fallout - isn’t 🙄

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

I am a Queenslander, who appreciates our Premier making decisions, on advice from the Chief Health Officer, re reducing restrictions and opening up of our borders slowly.  Dr Jeannette Young is the Nations' longest serving Chief Health Officer.  Their aim is to keep people safe and save lives.  The majority of Queenslanders support the Premier.  Even the Mayor of the Gold Coast, Tom Tate, backs the Premier.  

I wish I had the confidence to believe the Virus is under control.  Queensland has just had a death of a 30 year old at Blackwater, which is currently under investigation. 

The worst outcome would be to have fresh community outbreaks, which necessitated a return to lockdown.  

53 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I am a Queenslander, who appreciates our Premier making decisions, on advice from the Chief Health Officer, re reducing restrictions and opening up of our borders slowly.  Dr Jeannette Young is the Nations' longest serving Chief Health Officer.  Their aim is to keep people safe and save lives.  The majority of Queenslanders support the Premier.  Even the Mayor of the Gold Coast, Tom Tate, backs the Premier.  

I wish I had the confidence to believe the Virus is under control.  Queensland has just had a death of a 30 year old at Blackwater, which is currently under investigation. 

The worst outcome would be to have fresh community outbreaks, which necessitated a return to lockdown.  

Respect your opinion totally, we are each entitled to one aren’t we?🤷‍♀️

In the mean time, we will dream of cruising, until we get permission to do otherwise 🤔

Edited by Porky55

Just now, Porky55 said:

Respect your opinion totally, both yours and Sinbad, we are each entitled to one aren’t we 🤷‍♀️

In the mean time, we will dream of cruising, until we get permission to do otherwise 🤔

Yes, I would holiday in NZ, once the Trans Tasman Bubble is formed.  

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

WHO and the CDC have said that there is currently no evidence to support the theory that COVID-19 can be transmitted via packages, regardless of their origin.

I seem to recall mention of the virus being able to exist for sometime on cardboard. Maybe I'm adding 1 plus 1 and getting 3.

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I seem to recall mention of the virus being able to exist for sometime on cardboard. Maybe I'm adding 1 plus 1 and getting 3.

Harvard Medical School said that COVID-19 can "survive up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard". Australia Post is not that quick.😉

• Like 1