Face masks Onboard?? Yes or No --- merged thread

geckoaz

27 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Hopefully, that will be the kind of test the cruise ships can use if they decide to test everyone before boarding.

Hopefully Not!

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

And the ones wearing a mask do not shame people for not wearing one.

I think you need to see both sides.  I feel

these boards are full of people who belittle (shame or otherwise) anyone who might be concerned about risk on short-term cruising.  Glad you can express your view openly.  At times I (and others try) are censored.  Would love to talk to you in person about views since you seem almost moderate-I LOVE that long,

lost term since 90% in life now are hard core one way or the other.   I’m not.

We all need a break soon.  My liberal governor may dictate I can’t sail in October since I am gov’t.  My vacay & final payment is very uncertain.  Other states are 100% open.  Well I don’t live in those states.   But I also don’t have your confidence level or a one-size-fits-all approach.  

2 hours ago, dallasdan said:

I would say in Texas by my unscientific count, less than 10% of the people are wearing masks.  And the ones wearing a mask do not shame people for not wearing one.

Cases are up 20% in Texas.

19 minutes ago, skridge said:

Cases are up 20% in Texas.

Cases as of today in Texas are at .27%. That's about 3/10s of a per cent. That's about where it has been holding for a long time now. The deaths are at .00006, or 6 thousandths of a per cent. 

With numbers like that, we should be OK to live our life normally.

Edited by Radiioman46
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

hubby and I discussed the use of masks while cruising. we live in a beach community and all the tourists come down and make the beach resort (shops/ restaurants/ beach/ boardwalk) unbearable (sorry for those who like to come down and are polite and respect the locals).  I really like to escape reality when I hop on a ship. I want to be able to walk around and enjoy the breeze, sipping on a cold drink. the thought of wearing a mask on the ship is unappealing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stellarose said:

hubby and I discussed the use of masks while cruising. we live in a beach community and all the tourists come down and make the beach resort (shops/ restaurants/ beach/ boardwalk) unbearable (sorry for those who like to come down and are polite and respect the locals).  I really like to escape reality when I hop on a ship. I want to be able to walk around and enjoy the breeze, sipping on a cold drink. the thought of wearing a mask on the ship is unappealing. 

I agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

That article is from May 20th. Today is June 10th. Anything current?? Because I don't find anything that says Alaska is, as you put it, fully open..

✌️

No offense to Alaska, it isn't exactly the typical state and I don't think the folks in the big meeting rooms at Carnival HQ are going to be saying alright everyone Alaska is back up open so let's ramp this thing up.  There I go again with a big dollop of realism.  

• Like 1

Everyday i watch businesses open up. Las vegas opens and require masks and social distancing. Volcano island in orlando. Masks in places but not on slides. Social distancing of chairs and loungers. Planes and airports require masks. Stores like kolhs and costco masks. So not a lot of places one can go for vacations right now without some mask amd social distancing. So if you dont want to wear a mask this year where are you going on vacation? How will you get there?

4 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Everyday i watch businesses open up. Las vegas opens and require masks and social distancing. Volcano island in orlando. Masks in places but not on slides. Social distancing of chairs and loungers. Planes and airports require masks. Stores like kolhs and costco masks. So not a lot of places one can go for vacations right now without some mask amd social distancing. So if you dont want to wear a mask this year where are you going on vacation? How will you get there?

Not everywhere.  FL beach towns are pretty close to business as usual right now.  There is some effort still being made to distance things out but masks are not routinely required or commonplace.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

I really wish Carnival would make a decision one way or another before final payment so I can make a decision to cancel or not without penalty.

I certainly wouldn't go handing a bunch of money over to Carnival right now.

• Like 2

When you think of it why do you need to wear a mask if you're not coughing or sneezing(If you are stay home). The same with social distancing if you're not coughing or sneezing or exchange fluids how are you going to give the COVID-18 virus to others. If I'm standing next to someone that has the virus I can't get it if there is no mode of transmission. So basically it is up to the guests not to sail if they are sick it has to be brought on  the ship to cause an outbreak. That is the big question when cruise lines start sailing.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

I really wish Carnival would make a decision one way or another before final payment so I can make a decision to cancel or not without penalty.

This is going to be a last minute decision, as well it should be. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

When you think of it why do you need to wear a mask if you're not coughing or sneezing(If you are stay home). The same with social distancing if you're not coughing or sneezing or exchange fluids how are you going to give the COVID-18 virus to others. If I'm standing next to someone that has the virus I can't get it if there is no mode of transmission. So basically it is up to the guests not to sail if they are sick it has to be brought on  the ship to cause an outbreak. That is the big question when cruise lines start sailing.

Somehow over 2 million people in the US have it so far.  I wish it was as easy as you make it sound to keep people from spreading the virus.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, skridge said:

Somehow over 2 million people in the US have it so far.  I wish it was as easy as you make it sound to keep people from spreading the virus.

Yes , unfortunately most of the 2 million are from nursing homes and many more have underlying health issue that put them in a high risk category. But like I said in my post you have to have a means of transmission , the virus just can't jump from one person to another. Hopefully there will be a reliable vaccine before the years end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

Which has nothing to do with the discussion which is the overall likelihood of death when compared to the total population.

People can visualize 32 people, they can't comprehend when that is spread out among a group of 29,000,000.

No, the discussion is supposed to be about wearing masks on cruises. And it's about to go in lockdown since its more a death statistics thread now

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

This is going to be a last minute decision, as well it should be. 

If it is going to be a cruise line policy across the board on all cruises, it would be last minute for some. That's what I am  looking to see, a stated policy,  not just what will happen on my particular cruise "at the last minute".

Edited by Tinknock50

7 hours ago, shipbound2 said:

I assume you're breathing? Big assumption I know. You do know what BREATH is right? Vapour...air and liquid...what do these masks stop? liquid....

8 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

No, the discussion is supposed to be about wearing masks on cruises. And it's about to go in lockdown since its more a death statistics thread now

I still believe it is, it is all related.  The info being discussed is an undeniable aspect of if the policy is even necessary since it should be based on the current and future spread and mortality info.

• Like 1

Should cruise ships supply free masks? You are on a ship and it is not like you can run to a store or find them. Should it be provided like a life vest? I think they should provide free masks. They provide free hand sanitizer. 

I just flew from Philadelphia to St. Louis yesterday for 2 hours and 15 minutes wearing a mask. I sincerely hope we are not going to be required to wear one for 168 hours. That was not a good experience.  And yes, I know we won't wear one 24/7 obviously when sleeping or showering...or will we? As an aside, what a world of difference in social distancing between NJ and Missouri!!! The open states are so lucky. 

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3