SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

Terry..many thanks for your regular factual updates which are appreciated.

We are Silversea guests who love the pool and surroundings particularly on sea days.The restrictions you mention on this subject would Sadly be a deal breaker for us.Rough calculations would suggest that the old maximum on Wind and Cloud pool area of approximately 70 would reduce to about 15/20.Dont even want to think about the early morning rush to reserve sun beds .The many other restrictions would make the usual wonderful cruising experience we have been fortunate enough to enjoy on Silversea Sadly a thing of the past.Still hope for the miracle of normal luxury cruising to return for SS!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brimary said:

Terry..many thanks for your regular factual updates which are appreciated.

We are Silversea guests who love the pool and surroundings particularly on sea days.The restrictions you mention on this subject would Sadly be a deal breaker for us.Rough calculations would suggest that the old maximum on Wind and Cloud pool area of approximately 70 would reduce to about 15/20.Dont even want to think about the early morning rush to reserve sun beds .The many other restrictions would make the usual wonderful cruising experience we have been fortunate enough to enjoy on Silversea Sadly a thing of the past.Still hope for the miracle of normal luxury cruising to return for SS!!

Thank you Terry, always love what you do!  I could not agree more with Brimary's comments.  So far the restrictions are a deal breaker for Mrs Banjo and I as well.  I certainly hope that cruising starts up again without issues and that we can get back to normal..... Then we will be back to cruising!  

4 hours ago, brimary said:

Rough calculations would suggest that the old maximum on Wind and Cloud pool area of approximately 70 would reduce to about 15/20

I'm not sure your calculation is accurate. The deck plan for the Wind shows 93 seats around the pool on Deck 8, plus an additional 32 on Deck 9, for a total of 125. If you assume most lounge chairs are occupied by groups of two, then eliminating one chair between each group of two would cost capacity to around 80.  And that assumes they can't do any additional juggling to provide a few additional spaces for a few extra chairs. And since both Cloud and Wind won't be in warm-weather climates until March 2022, the spacing requirements might be different by then. Additionally, Silversea may choose not to initially completely follow CDC protocols since it is not sailing these ships to or from US ports until May.

So the future may not be as restriction-laden as you're envisioning. The problem -- for the cruise lines as well as us potential passengers -- is that it's difficult, if not impossible, to predict what 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, and further into the future will look like. 

• Like 1

After seeing what the CDC has just said about no masks for fully vaccinated people, surely a ship of 100% vaxxed passengers will be the safest place to be on earth.  I've been saying  this repeatedly. 

• Like 2

In response to cruiseej comment the number of sun beds on the pool deck

of the Silver Wind on a photo of the whole deck taken from Deck 9 in 2019 was 72 

which is near enough ‘approximately 70 as far as I am concerned.

9 hours ago, tosteve1 said:

Though to be sure you need to test asymptomatic people as most people who are vaccinated and get infected are asymptomatic.I posted in another thread what happened at Changi Airport when the decided to do mandatory testing from May 9th.They found 8 positives on the first day all of whom had been vaccinated.it has now grown to 22 airport workers with at least 20 fully vaccinated.There have been 24 more cases in their contacts so it can be transmitted.The strain is the Indian B1617 mutation.

Covid-19: Four cleaners at Singapore’s Changi Airport T3 among new cases as cluster grows to 46 | Singapore | Malay Mail

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

Though to be sure you need to test asymptomatic people as most people who are vaccinated and get infected are asymptomatic.I posted in another thread what happened at Changi Airport when the decided to do mandatory testing from May 9th.They found 8 positives on the first day all of whom had been vaccinated.it has now grown to 22 airport workers with at least 20 fully vaccinated.There have been 24 more cases in their contacts so it can be transmitted.The strain is the Indian B1617 mutation.

Covid-19: Four cleaners at Singapore’s Changi Airport T3 among new cases as cluster grows to 46 | Singapore | Malay Mail

Of course!  And I see in the cruisline plans are to pre-board test. Maybe they'll do random testing too which I'm sure is a small inconvenience if it means a normal cruise.  And disembarkation testing for those flying home.  It's a multi pronged approach with everyone doing their part to get these ships and passengers sailing again.

These early sailings are going to produce some very, very interesting statistics about what happens when you have a group of 100% vaccinated people together.

9 hours ago, drron29 said:

I posted in another thread what happened at Changi Airport when the decided to do mandatory testing from May 9th.They found 8 positives on the first day all of whom had been vaccinated.it has now grown to 22 airport workers with at least 20 fully vaccinated.There have been 24 more cases in their contacts so it can be transmitted.

Do you know if these cases were all vaccinated with China's Sinovac?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Anxious to see Terry's take on the announcement today

Appreciate these kind and helpful comments and follow-ups.  Sorry for being slow to respond.  

Monday morning, my wife had knee replacement surgery and I have been attempting at the role of "Fetch Boy" in taking care of her needs, keeping the ice machine serviced, etc., etc.  Fortunately, it was surgery at 7:45 am

Monday, talking with the doctor at 9 am and then having her home by 7 pm that day.  BUT, such knee surgery takes time for rest, re-hab, recovery, etc.  PT started within three hours after the surgery   All going reasonably well. But, time and patience is required!!  Three years ago, my knee had that same replacement surgery on May 23, 2018, by the same doctor and we were able to do a long and excellent Athens to Dubai cruise adventure that following November with all working well for Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, etc.  (PS: Glad we were able to do Jerusalem, etc., at that time rather than attempting it now and during the coming weeks.)

My reactions to the major CDC announcement yesterday?  Good, but still "MIXED" and a range of uncertainty.  Even with the news conferences yesterday by the President and CDC to open things back up, eight different Governors said "NO!" and that they were not ready to allow masks off for those who have had the important vaccine.  Even the Speaker of the U.S. House, is still saying that masks must be left on. Major businesses such as Starbucks and Home Depot still require masks, even for those with the vaccine.   Does it get a little confusing?  And that is just within the United States.  Clearly different countries and areas of the world are at different stages as to vaccines, infections, etc.  And, people (like a HBO TV host) has had to scrub his live show this week as he had the vaccine, but just got Covid.  Puzzling??!!

From the New York Times this morning, they had this headline: “The new U.S. guidance on masks is ‘a ticket to freedom,’ but comes with questions.”

Here are some of their story highlights: “New federal guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which cleared the way for people in the United States fully vaccinated against the coronavirus to drop mask-wearing in most situations, still came with plenty of caveats and confusion for Americans on Friday. It sent state and local officials, as well as private companies, scrambling to decide whether and when to update their own rules.  'We have all longed for this moment,' Dr. Rochelle P. Walensky, the CDC Director, said 'If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic.' Fully vaccinated people are still told to cover their faces when flying or taking public transit, when visiting health care facilities, and in congregate settings such as homeless shelters, as well as prisons.  The recommendations came as a surprise to many people in public health. They offered a stark contrast with the views of a large majority of epidemiologists surveyed in the last two weeks by The New York Times, who said that until many more Americans were vaccinated, there would be too many chances for vaccines, which are not 100 percent effective, to fail.  'Unless the vaccination rates increase to 80 or 90 percent over the next few months, we should wear masks in large public indoor settings,' said Vivian Towe, a program officer at the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, an independent nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C.”

Is this now all clear and fully understandable?  Obviously, there has been progress, thanks to the quick development of the successful vaccines.  BUT, world-wide and in some cases, there are many more questions and areas of serious uncertainty.  Am I missing something and/or being unfair?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/14/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,369 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From the Wall Street Journal at noon today, you can see below how strongly UP, UP was the perceived value for Royal Caribbean stock.  The other two major cruise lines were also up about 7%, much above the overall market trend.  A good sign?.  How lasting and long-term?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

437237432_ScreenShot2021-05-14at12_00_28PM.thumb.png.1cc5ee8dc876f5f827afa66705e180a6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you read The NY Times interviews with epidemiologists that they have conducted over the last year? They are one frightened group of people! The world would never get back to normal if it was left up to them. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

Have you read The NY Times interviews with epidemiologists that they have conducted over the last year? They are one frightened group of people! The world would never get back to normal if it was left up to them. 

Super, excellent point by our smart friend from neighboring North Carolina.  Through out this whole "situation", there has been a huge debate and battle over the question of "ZERO RISK" . . . versus . . . making decisions based on "reasonable risks".

In my humble view, "ZERO RISK" is a wonderful, ideal goal, but that is not always possible for those of us who live in the "real world". Few things in life (and in the medical world) are always "PERFECT" without any potential down-sides.  We do not live a "utopia" never-never land.  Sorry!!  Am I missing something for my understandings of "reality"??

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,281 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Message to Terry.  I am will be having 2 knee replacements soon.  Pass on any advice please.  

I know you asked Terry, but I'll chime in.  DH has had both shoulders done.  I can whole heartedly recommend the Ossur Cold RushTherapy Ice Machine.  I got ours on Amazon.  Other people have borrowed it.  Using frozen bottles of water is so easy and convenient. 

2 hours ago, kimanjo said:

I know you asked Terry, but I'll chime in.  DH has had both shoulders done.  I can whole heartedly recommend the Ossur Cold RushTherapy Ice Machine.  I got ours on Amazon.  Other people have borrowed it.  Using frozen bottles of water is so easy and convenient. 

Frozen peas in bag work well.

Refreeze but don't eat.🤣

Frozen peas seem to work for ALOT of things.....I had breast surgery back in Nov 2019......frozen peas definitely helped to reduce the swelling.

Will have more info later on the knee cooling device, tips, etc., used by wife.  

From USA Today yesterday, they had this headline: “CDC updates cruise guidance, says vaccinated passengers don't need COVID test” with these highlights: “The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention late Friday updated its technical guidance for test cruises and initial cruises with paying passengers.  Significantly in the new guidance, the agency says that fully vaccinated passengers do not need to be tested during embarkation and disembarkation, nor during their sailings – unless they are showing COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed to the virus within 14 days of their sailing.  Testing is required for all unvaccinated passengers.  The agency further advised cruise lines it's acceptable to use approved antigen testing, with PCR testing preferred. The agency also added wording in several areas leaving decisions to the discretion of the cruise lines, such as whether a vaccinated passenger who has been exposed to the virus but has no symptoms may board.”

Is this a progressing, positive step forward?  Things, finally, seem to be moving in the right direction.  What else major needs to known from the CDC and other such government agencies?

Full story at:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/05/17/cruises-2021-cdc-vaccinated-passengers-no-covid-test/5136067001/

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,289 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So would this mean before flying overseas you would not need a test? Or is it the TSA that determines their own policy on this stuff?  Example......I have been vaccinated for over 2 months now. Would I need a test before flying to Greece? Or would I need to contact the airlines?

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

So would this mean before flying overseas you would not need a test? Or is it the TSA that determines their own policy on this stuff?  Example......I have been vaccinated for over 2 months now. Would I need a test before flying to Greece? Or would I need to contact the airlines?

Now, more than average, the only thing certain is . . . CHANGE!!??  Yes, the airlines could have different rules and those could be "evolving" rules between now and your summer sailing date.  And, Greece could have different standards than what the CDC has today or next month.  Right? 

From US News and the Reuters news wire this morning, they had this headline: “Greek Island Corfu Welcomes First Cruise Ship of New Season” with these highlights: “The Greek island of Corfu welcomed its first cruise ship of the new season on Tuesday, hoping much awaited tourists will help salvage losses incurred during 2020 due to the coronavirus.  Corfu port authorities said some 600 tourists from countries including Italy, France and Germany were on board the Costa Luminosa, operated by Italy's Costa Cruises, and all safety measures were being adhered to in the port.  Greece opened its doors on Saturday to tourists from the EU and other key markets such as the United States, Israel and Britain, lifting the need for people to quarantine as long as they have been vaccinated or tested negative for COVID-19.  Costa's first ship to resume cruises in Greece and the second to restart operations overall, is one of four scheduled to resume cruises this summer in the Mediterranean.”

Full story at:

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-05-18/greek-island-corfu-welcomes-first-cruise-ship-of-new-season

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 47,910 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Hi Terry, thanks🙂 for always keeping us posted and giving details in such a graceful manner.

I see Ms Mukermann answered 3 questions early this morning.........hoping she comes back and is able to reply to all the rest of those threads.