Canada vs U.S, COVID Info + Silhouette Mysteries 3/6-15

sakigemcam

Some insomniac Facebook browsing led me to learn that Canadian travelers received notification of COVID pax diagnoses within days after we disembarked, vs the close to two weeks' wait for notification for U.S. pax. I know there has been talk about this discrepancy in other posts, but can you please enlighten me as to why? Is it solely due to better Canadian governmental diligence? I know Canada shared more information about affected flyers and other cruisers. 

I also learned from the posts that at least 10 Canadians became ill after disembarking. I myself am still getting over no taste and smell 6 weeks later, after it starting 3 days after we disembarked. I certainly consider myself lucky and would indeed cruise again with additional measures in place. 

I also learned that there were actually two deaths the first night  - the tragic overboard fall and a seizure victim (who we think we saw experiencing this in the MDR 😞). Yet we still remain in the dark about the second return to Miami where two completely ambulatory travelers disembarked. I understand and respect privacy concerns but am haunted by these incidences. 

The informational discrepancy between Canada and the U.S. is obviously not about privacy. 

And to date, we have still not received our partial refund. We're being very patient as we have empathy for the staff and processing time. We are just ready to have some closure. 

Edited by sakigemcam
typo
  • Like 1

IIRC, in the early days when numbers were still small, various Canadian health authorities here were reporting abbreviated summaries of new cases and the established source/location of the infection. These reports were published by the media, and Canadian CC members became aware through the media. I believe that the Canadian health authorities also reached out to Celebrity. Others who were more directly involved in the process can add to and/or correct my recollections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sakigemcam said:

Some insomniac Facebook browsing led me to learn that Canadian travelers received notification of COVID pax diagnoses within days after we disembarked, vs the close to two weeks' wait for notification for U.S. pax. I know there has been talk about this discrepancy in other posts, but can you please enlighten me as to why? Is it solely due to better Canadian governmental diligence? I know Canada shared more information about affected flyers and other cruisers. 

Yes!

You have to understand in the USA we are free.  We are not allowed personal information about the health of anyone, including our spouse, without their approval.   I believe anyone who traveled anywhere in FEB or MAR was in contact with COVID-19.

Three days has been a normal amount of time to contract the virus.   Has your diagnosis been confirmed?   Over 80% of those tested with symptoms don’t have it.   If you have it you should get tested that way when you are clear of the virus (this depends on how good your immunity system is) you can donate plasma to save lives.   You should also get a record showing your immunity.   This will make it much easier for you to travel in the future.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You have to understand in the USA we are free.  We are not allowed personal information about the health of anyone, including our spouse, without their approval.  

Good to hear that you are free too, just as we are in Canada.

We also have very strict rules about guarding personal health information, which is why abbreviated summaries contained no identifiable personal information. This example, posted previously in another thread, is a good example of what was published:

image.png.2b0dd7d3f738cb707cd2edc657497172.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We were onboard the cruise, received an email from local health agency that a passenger on the previous cruise tested positive.  We have pictures of the mysterious couple leaving the ship not corresponding to the information the captain provided.  We have received the 25% refund.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You have to understand in the USA we are free.  We are not allowed personalinformation about the health of anyone, including our spouse, without theirapproval.   I believe anyone who traveled anywhere in FEB or MAR was incontact with COVID-19.

I do hope that you understand that we, here in Canada, are also Free.   And as well, that we may not access any personal health information about anyone else, including our spouse, without their express permission.

I believe it is also true that our Country’s governments and public health systems have been extremely diligent and proactive around identifying and containing the Covid-19 virus here and have done a good job, so far, of protecting it’s citizens during this Pandemic.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You have to understand in the USA we are free.  We are not allowed personal information about the health of anyone, including our spouse, without their approval.   I believe anyone who traveled anywhere in FEB or MAR was in contact with COVID-19.

OMG....Are you kidding me?  Do you think that Canadian citizens are not free????*****?  Pardon my French.  I hope and pray that all countries will come through this pandemic with the minimum number of deaths.  Alas... I fear for my friends to the south.  Take care.  There is a very long journey ahead for all of us.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are also FREE in Canada as are people in MANY countries on this globe. Where do you get the idea that Canadians do not have privacy??  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pam said:

I cannot even believe that a poster even put this out there?  Really, really, really? 

Put what out there? I'm the OP - you mean the Canada/free stuff? Not me.

Back to the original subject, we haven't received our refunds either. We were planning on waiting until around 60 days and then calling them. Surely they're overwhelmed. 

@Argo. I think I may have see your photos onboard. What in the heck would cause a ship with 3000 pax to turn around for a second time to let to seemingly healthy folks walk off the ship who then proceeded to take smiling selfies? And tote their own luggage? 

5 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Back to the original subject, we haven't received our refunds either. We were planning on waiting until around 60 days and then calling them. Surely they're overwhelmed. 

@Argo. I think I may have see your photos onboard. What in the heck would cause a ship with 3000 pax to turn around for a second time to let to seemingly healthy folks walk off the ship who then proceeded to take smiling selfies? And tote their own luggage? 

One conspiracy theory that I heard:  a crew member overheard them talking about getting on board after passing through a country on the forbidden list.  We turned around to drop them off before they could infect the ship... hearsay only but totally plausible.

3 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

No not you!!!  Covepointcruiser perhaps need some enlightening facts regarding the country and their neighbors to the north!  JEEZ!

The use of the term “free” was “tongue in check” as regards to the U.S.   In the U.S. we  are being harmed by our freedoms.  We are free to deny our children medical care, can you do that in Canada?

Children die of illnesses that could be avoided through vaccines.   If your child has cancer and can’t get the vaccine, he will have to go to school with children who could have been, but were not vaccinated.   

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The use of the term “free” was “tongue in check” as regards to the U.S.   In the U.S. we  are being harmed by our freedoms.  We are free to deny our children medical care, can you do that in Canada?

Children die of illnesses that could be avoided through vaccines.   If your child has cancer and can’t get the vaccine, he will have to go to school with children who could have been, but were not vaccinated.   

Totally shaking my head as well.  Yes sakigemcam, we Canadians would like to address the facts.  However, the blatant ignorance of the above....well, just hard to get beyond.  Sorry.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

OMG people. Can we just address my question w facts? Yeesh. 

I think that that one reply threw pretty much any Canadian that read it off the deep end. Fouremco showed one of the reports for a region in Ontario. I don't know what other regions were doing. British Columbia has been having daily briefings for at least 7 weeks.

I know from 2 reminders that commenting on the actions of a certain "leader" from a country to the south of ours, is strictly forbidden. I can only surmise that the Canadian Officials across our country tried to get on top of this fast but we  were caught flat footed. It's been a long haul and even though the provinces have slightly different strategies, the problem has seen a nation wide response coordinated and supported Federally. 

On 5/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, Argo. said:

One conspiracy theory that I heard:  a crew member overheard them talking about getting on board after passing through a country on the forbidden list.  We turned around to drop them off before they could infect the ship... hearsay only but totally plausible.

Given that the cruise line arranges crew transportation to and from contracts, they would know the route each incoming crew took. So unless there was massive miscommunication, that is unlikely.

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Given that the cruise line arranges crew transportation to and from contracts, they would know the route each incoming crew took. So unless there was massive miscommunication, that is unlikely.

Try reading that post more carefully. It wasn't a crew member who travelled through the banned country.  It was a crew member who overheard it.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Try reading that post more carefully. It wasn't a crew member who travelled through the banned country.  It was a crew member who overheard it.

Ah that's an interesting theory. I'm not sure how far we were between MIA and the Bahamas for instance, but it certainly would have been more efficient to stop somewhere en route and dump them off. But what do I know?