Jump to content

Has anyone received their refund from NCL?


Recommended Posts

Well, I just called Amex, customer service was great, and they put a credit on my account for the full amount within 5 minutes of the call. They did say that if NCL tries to dispute they may re-bill, and that if I don’t hear anything by August 2, I can assume the matter is resolved. I will update here if there are any issues or changes, but this makes me want to book all future travel with my Amex card. I should have done this sooner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Well, I just called Amex, customer service was great, and they put a credit on my account for the full amount within 5 minutes of the call. They did say that if NCL tries to dispute they may re-bill, and that if I don’t hear anything by August 2, I can assume the matter is resolved. I will update here if there are any issues or changes, but this makes me want to book all future travel with my Amex card. I should have done this sooner. 

That's what I'm telling people. You should have done it sooner. And if they rebill you (they won't) that doesn't mean you have to pay anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, phire said:

Nope, two kinds of dispute, one is fraudulent duspute (usually 7 to 10 business days), the other is merchant dispute that service was not provided (can take upto 90days).

I just won mine and got all chargebacks stay permanently.  I definitely will not have business with NCL anymore, hope other cruiselines will not ban me.

 

So clear thing up for me. If it is the latter, everyone knows that the cruise lines were forced to shutdown in March and cease operations. Thus everyone knows that the service could not be provided. Since everyone knows and everyone agrees on that, what then would you be disputing?

 

Don't forget that when operations ceased, everyone with a cancelled cruise was compensated by either a 150% or 125% FCC award. In addition, the cruise line offered each guest the OPTION to CHOOSE to forgo that compensation in exchange for a 100% refund in 90 days. All you had to do was fill out and submit the online form.

 

By submitting the form, you agreed to give up your awarded FCCs. You agreed to accept a refund of only 100% of what was paid. You agreed to a 90 day period for those returns. You might not like it, you might want it to be faster, but the 90 day period was clearly stated so you opted in the second you hit SUBMIT on the form.

 

Just not sure what the dispute is as "I want it faster is not a dispute".

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

 

So clear thing up for me. If it is the latter, everyone knows that the cruise lines were forced to shutdown in March and cease operations. Thus everyone knows that the service could not be provided. Since everyone knows and everyone agrees on that, what then would you be disputing?

 

Don't forget that when operations ceased, everyone with a cancelled cruise was compensated by either a 150% or 125% FCC award. In addition, the cruise line offered each guest the OPTION to CHOOSE to forgo that compensation in exchange for a 100% refund in 90 days. All you had to do was fill out and submit the online form.

 

By submitting the form, you agreed to give up your awarded FCCs. You agreed to accept a refund of only 100% of what was paid. You agreed to a 90 day period for those returns. You might not like it, you might want it to be faster, but the 90 day period was clearly stated so you opted in the second you hit SUBMIT on the form.

 

Just not sure what the dispute is as "I want it faster is not a dispute".

In my case, yes, I wanted it faster. I don’t think it’s right for NCL to hold onto $10,000 of my money for 3 months after they cancelled the April 4 cruise. EVERY other thing I bought/booked (theater tickets, kids’ summer camps) refunded my money within a couple of weeks of cancelling, I sympathize with NCL’s cash flow problems, but I don’t like giving them an interest-free loan for 3 months.  
 

Furthermore, their poor communication about the refund process (making the refund form hard to find, one vague confirmation email that didn’t contain my reservation number, pax names, amount that would be refunded, Phone number to contact with questions, sail date or any other specific information, and their continuing to call me about using my FCC to book another cruise, even though I had opted out of the FCC) left me feeling a lack of trust that they would refund my money as promised.  Every other company I have dealt with that has had to cancel things has been specific, timely and transparent in their communication, so NCL stood out as doing a poor job and it just didn’t feel right. What if they file for bankruptcy and no longer have to pay their creditors?  
 

I’ll wait and see if a bunch of folks get their refunds on June 23, but I’m glad I called Amex and got my money back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

 

So clear thing up for me. If it is the latter, everyone knows that the cruise lines were forced to shutdown in March and cease operations. Thus everyone knows that the service could not be provided. Since everyone knows and everyone agrees on that, what then would you be disputing?

 

Don't forget that when operations ceased, everyone with a cancelled cruise was compensated by either a 150% or 125% FCC award. In addition, the cruise line offered each guest the OPTION to CHOOSE to forgo that compensation in exchange for a 100% refund in 90 days. All you had to do was fill out and submit the online form.

 

By submitting the form, you agreed to give up your awarded FCCs. You agreed to accept a refund of only 100% of what was paid. You agreed to a 90 day period for those returns. You might not like it, you might want it to be faster, but the 90 day period was clearly stated so you opted in the second you hit SUBMIT on the form.

 

Just not sure what the dispute is as "I want it faster is not a dispute".

Umm, so you chose FCC? I do wish you have a good trip when it is safe to do so - I agree if you don't want a refund then it save you a lot of time. 

I was not given the option of FCC, because I am a Chinese (who hasn't been to China recently). They cancelled my Miami cruise before the POM thing announced, but also promised me a refund. At first it was 7 business days, then it was another 2 weeks, then it was 30 more days wait, and finally saying 90th day. I started my CC dispute at around 90 days, and finally I got it back on 114th day. Terrible experience, but I am the proof that if you choose a refund you will not get it back from NCL in 90 days. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

In my case, yes, I wanted it faster. I don’t think it’s right for NCL to hold onto $10,000 of my money for 3 months after they cancelled the April 4 cruise. EVERY other thing I bought/booked (theater tickets, kids’ summer camps) refunded my money within a couple of weeks of cancelling, I sympathize with NCL’s cash flow problems, but I don’t like giving them an interest-free loan for 3 months.  
 

Furthermore, their poor communication about the refund process (making the refund form hard to find, one vague confirmation email that didn’t contain my reservation number, pax names, amount that would be refunded, Phone number to contact with questions, sail date or any other specific information, and their continuing to call me about using my FCC to book another cruise, even though I had opted out of the FCC) left me feeling a lack of trust that they would refund my money as promised.  Every other company I have dealt with that has had to cancel things has been specific, timely and transparent in their communication, so NCL stood out as doing a poor job and it just didn’t feel right. What if they file for bankruptcy and no longer have to pay their creditors?  
 

I’ll wait and see if a bunch of folks get their refunds on June 23, but I’m glad I called Amex and got my money back. 

In our case, we were already there, ready to get on the ship, when NCL cancelled our cruise.  We needed the amount NCL charged us to cover the expenses we incurred (about the same as the cruise) because they cancelled on such short notice.  Since there was no guarantee that NCL would still be in business 3 months (until NCLreceived $2.4 billion in funding a couple of weeks ago) and we didn't want to pay interest on thousands of dollars while NCL gave us back the money we rightfully were due, we put a dispute on the charges to our credit cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Just not sure what the dispute is as "I want it faster is not a dispute".

 

Um, Yes it is.  If the merchant does not provide a service, they must give you a refund within a reasonable timeframe.  Most credit card companies consider 30 days to be reasonable.   I know that NCL needs the money, but so do we, and 90 days is not reasonable.   

 

If you wait too long after you request a refund, many credit card companies not allow you to file a dispute.  Their reasoning is why didn't you do it sooner?  So you could be locked out if you wait too long.  You also risk that NCL may file for bankruptcy protection that could delay things even further.  At this point, not one person has reported getting a refund for an NCL cancelled cruise.  

 

I think NCL will eventually provide refunds around the 90 day mark, but personally, I'm not taking the chance.  Especially after my past experience with NCL when other things did not go well.  I already have a provisional credit from our CC company and nobody will take that away unless NCL can prove that they provided a service, or prove that we didn't want a refund.  

Edited by Lou33
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hrhbob said:

Was part of a 5 cabin group booking on Breakaway NYC-Canada Oct 5. I elected to cancel on May 5 and received full refund today. A success story.

wow, quick. Hopefully they eveually work to everyone's case. Can you clarify for your Oct5th cruise did you pay the 5 cabins in full? Because there are some people in the forum successfully got deposits back. I haven't seen people paid in full got refunded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hrhbob said:

Was part of a 5 cabin group booking on Breakaway NYC-Canada Oct 5. I elected to cancel on May 5 and received full refund today. A success story.

 

The people who made only deposits and cancelled on their own have been receiving refunds.  The problem has been people who paid in full and requested a refund for a cruise that was cancelled by NCL.  Not one person has reported that they have received a refund yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hrhbob said:

Was part of a 5 cabin group booking on Breakaway NYC-Canada Oct 5. I elected to cancel on May 5 and received full refund today. A success story.

There seems to be a different process for cruises that were paid in full (harder to get refunds) than for future cruises pending final payment. It’s crazy that those of us with March and April 2020 cruises paid in full and cancelled by NCL have not yet received refunds. They’ve had our money for a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

It’s crazy that those of us with March and April 2020 cruises paid in full and cancelled by NCL have not yet received refunds. They’ve had our money for a long time. 

 

Exactly.... March 15th sailing for me that I cancelled under Peace of Mind on the 13th.  My refund is clearly stuck in the sea of those that got 'suspended' cancelled.  Totally ridiculous to have no refund yet and it will be 90 days soon.  Be very interesting if it arrives on the 90 day mark.  I called long while back and love their response 'it shows processing' when in reality it should have been 'pending release'.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Four cabins were deposit only but mine was paid in full. I canceled on my own and within a couple of days my CN certs were deposited back in my account and then today the balance of just under $2K showed up in my credit card account. The other 4 cabins with deposit only were canceled a couple of days ago so since Canada remains closed through October and they are waiting for their cash deposit refunds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, poffles said:

 

Exactly.... March 15th sailing for me that I cancelled under Peace of Mind on the 13th.  My refund is clearly stuck in the sea of those that got 'suspended' cancelled.  Totally ridiculous to have no refund yet and it will be 90 days soon.  Be very interesting if it arrives on the 90 day mark.  I called long while back and love their response 'it shows processing' when in reality it should have been 'pending release'.

 

I thought if you cancelled under POM you only got FCC??

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, julig22 said:

I thought if you cancelled under POM you only got FCC??

 

Sorry you are correct so totally see how that may confuse.  I cancelled 'extras' prior to the official POM cancellation and it is those refunded items I refer too.  I did it on the 10th of March but I was later told it sat in a pile until March 13th for input ... thus the March 13th date.  At this point I think it's still in a pile of something 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Just not sure what the dispute is as "I want it faster is not a dispute".

I dispute having to wait over 90 days for my money. I dispute NCL making me wait 2 weeks before they would even allow me to request a refund. As I've read on other posts, these tactics have been successful at confusing people. Luckily for us, you not being "not sure" was not a consideration for Amex. They gave me my money back almost 2 months ago. A big chunk of that cash went into an index fund that's earned me over $300 since. I'd still be waiting at least another month if I didn't dispute it. NCL isn't a charity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

 

23 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

 

You agreed to a 90 day period for those returns. You might not like it, you might want it to be faster, but the 90 day period was clearly stated so you opted in the second you hit SUBMIT on the form.

 

Just not sure what the dispute is as "I want it faster is not a dispute".

 

 

Wrong. I never agreed to 900 days nor was it disclosed that it would take 90 days until AFTER i submitted the refund form on March 23. It was a unilateral decision by NCL to hold the money for 90 days. I never agreed to such terms. Are you saying when they don't refund at 90 days and come out and say now it will be another 90 days, I agreed to that because that is there policy? Wrong again.

 

Letter given to me on the Star informing me that I would be forced to leave the ship within 12 hours of the letter (i was on back to back cruises) in a foreign country with no assistance on travel reservations back to the US. The letter told me to call 800-327-7030 for a full refund. No mention that they would hold the money for 108 days (90 days that was disclosed after submitting refund form, plus 9 days before i was allowed to request a fill out the form.

 

You ask "Just not sure what the dispute is as?" Simple, paid for services not relieved. Quite obvious!

 

Edited by wvacations
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on day 93 and still waiting for my refund. Paid in full and cancelled on my own March 4th, prior to POM and was given a 7-10 business day window. Then it was changed to 90 days. As of right now, still nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, goncruzn said:

I'm on day 93 and still waiting for my refund. Paid in full and cancelled on my own March 4th, prior to POM and was given a 7-10 business day window. Then it was changed to 90 days. As of right now, still nothing.

Same here. Start your credit card dispute now. I disputed a month ago and just got the chargeback to stay permanently June1st. The 114 days NCL never gave refund. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry with the way the cruise line share prices are zooming right now, their own shareholders and smart investors expect that they will soon be back in business.

Probably from mid-october onwards

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, phire said:

Same here. Start your credit card dispute now. I disputed a month ago and just got the chargeback to stay permanently June1st. The 114 days NCL never gave refund. 

I was trying so hard to be patient and understanding as we are in uncertain times, but I'm done. I may do exactly as you suggested and start a dispute. Should have done it a long time ago...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goncruzn said:

I was trying so hard to be patient and understanding as we are in uncertain times, but I'm done. I may do exactly as you suggested and start a dispute. Should have done it a long time ago...

Make sure you disclose to your credit card company that you have received a refund in The form of a FCC and have already requested that they convert that to a cash refund. So, their cash will be on top of the refund you already received. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Day 91 ..Canceled on Mar 6 and no update from NCL. I did get my money back from my credit card companies as I won the dispute but NCL never got back to CC or me.
I read that if you dispute a credit card transaction, you will be banned from that cruise line for life
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...