Is Celebrity Giving Us A "Restart" Hint?

york survey

6 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

You have to scroll down.

The lists of cancellations are below the information you posted.

Yes, but for example the aug. 1st cruise on the Equinox is not listed... it isn't fleet wide... as of yet. Or the first aug. cruise on the summit ect.

Edited by pumpkin 11

20 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

You have to scroll down.

The lists of cancellations are below the information you posted.

Basically, all the non-Caribbean cruises are cancelled for September.

However, based on how Covid cases are exploding in Florida, I suspect those August cruises might be in danger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Lisa said sailing will resume 4th quarter to a group of travel agents a couple days ago. So that is probably the start date, Oct. …. ish

1 hour ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Nothing specifically about all cruises being canceled through sept though.

image.png

It seems that your prior comment confirms that cruises are canceled through September.

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It seems that your prior comment confirms that cruises are canceled through September.

I mean I have no idea what will happen. That comment was from a second hand source so don't take it as gospel. I'm just saying celebrity still has cruises on offer during August/ September that have not been cancelled as of yet.

23 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Basically, all the non-Caribbean cruises are cancelled for September.

However, based on how Covid cases are exploding in Florida, I suspect those August cruises might be in danger.

I guess it depends on where the cases are increasing in FL.  I do believe it is mostly in the southeast counties which might impact cruises from MIA and FLL.  Maybe not Tampa.  Maybe not Port Canaveral.  Will there be airline travel restrictions to these areas if the cases continue to rise?  But who the heck can ever figure this stuff out?

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I guess it depends on where the cases are increasing in FL.  I do believe it is mostly in the southeast counties which might impact cruises from MIA and FLL.  Maybe not Tampa.  Maybe not Port Canaveral.  Will there be airline travel restrictions to these areas if the cases continue to rise?  But who the heck can ever figure this stuff out?

Not good news from Tampa yesterday: The Tampa Bay area added five deaths on Wednesday and 542 new cases. Hillsborough hit a record for new single-day cases with 244 infections reported. Pinellas County also had a near-record high day for new cases with 161 added. From the Tampa Bay Times.

Edited by Richard&JohnSTX

2 hours ago, Richard&JohnSTX said:

Not good news from Tampa yesterday: The Tampa Bay area added five deaths on Wednesday and 542 new cases. Hillsborough hit a record for new single-day cases with 244 infections reported. Pinellas County also had a near-record high day for new cases with 161 added. From the Tampa Bay Times.

Hopefully it will pass quickly to the better side of the curve as happened in NY.

Ironic that we would  still have to quarantine if we flew to Fl from NY...but alas,  our June flights to Fla were cancelled .  We'll try again in Nov..hoping for  healthier days ahead for everyone !,

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Hopefully it will pass quickly to the better side of the curve as happened in NY.

Ironic that we would  still have to quarantine if we flew to Fl from NY...but alas,  our June flights to Fla were cancelled .  We'll try again in Nov..hoping for  healthier days ahead for everyone !,

But of course the Governor of Florida opened up the state to social activity many weeks ago vs NY.  I fear things will only get worse down there, glad we are gone.

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Yes hopefully it will pass. Not to get into politics but I think your NY experience may turn out better than our FL experience.

Our cruise on the Constellation out of Tampa isn't until April 9th so I continue to hope. And even if she is not revolutionized I still want to go. And we missed our Apex cruise from Southampton in May. And of course our Azamara transatlantic from Lisbon to Rio in November is probably toast.

First world problems of course but at 76 and 63 years old we obviously need to be safe - but still want to travel!!

10 hours ago, Oville said:

But of course the Governor of Florida opened up the state to social activity many weeks ago vs NY.  I fear things will only get worse down there, glad we are gone.

The key in FL and elsewhere is to protect the elderly in nursing homes and assisted care communities. And associated care workers.  That should be the very highest priority whether and when a state opens up or relaxes restrictions.  In our county in PA approximately 85% of our reported COVID deaths came from this group.  As much as we want to blame beaches and other outdoor crowd activities, they do not really greatly impact the healthcare burden in the state like this group in these facilities which are in particular are all over FL.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

The key in FL and elsewhere is to protect the elderly in nursing homes and assisted care communities. And associated care workers.  That should be the very highest priority whether and when a state opens up or relaxes restrictions.  In our county in PA approximately 85% of our reported COVID deaths came from this group.  As much as we want to blame beaches and other outdoor crowd activities, they do not really greatly impact the healthcare burden in the state like this group in these facilities which are in particular are all over FL.

Unfortunately it isn't the issue that these people get sick as most of them tend to be younger and will in all likelihood survive if they have symptoms at all.  The issue is that they then carry it home, or to their place of business if they work at nursing homes or assisted living facilities - or to their older parents and grandparents.  Then the hospitalizations ramp up significantly and a shortage of ICU facilities is a real concern.

17 hours ago, hcat said:

It won't pass quickly though.  Things began to slowly open up again 3 weeks ago, after pretty much shut down March 9th or thereabouts.  Just about 11 weeks-ish.  If Florida, and the other states whose Covid cases are exploding, doesn't get it under control now, they're setting themselves back severely.  It may not be until Halloween before they can re-open again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Richard&JohnSTX said:

Yes hopefully it will pass. Not to get into politics but I think your NY experience may turn out better than our FL experience.

Our cruise on the Constellation out of Tampa isn't until April 9th so I continue to hope. And even if she is not revolutionized I still want to go. And we missed our Apex cruise from Southampton in May. And of course our Azamara transatlantic from Lisbon to Rio in November is probably toast.

First world problems of course but at 76 and 63 years old we obviously need to be safe - but still want to travel!!

Grass sometimes looks greener elsewhere..etc

Most of us were under " house arrest "  for 3 months other than grocery store(,  1 person per household) , ,Rx   trips,  and outdoor walks . Very confining. Masks and gloves still!   No work. No economy,  No school.  They mixed Covid patients with non Covid persons in Nursing homes, leading to many tragic deaths,, and   of course, more recently  the rules did not apply to marchers and looters.

Now things are opening up, dh can finally get his knee surgery, folks can get back to work, or get a haircut,  etc .  Hope there is not a  resurgence now or in the fall.  Hope everyone stays safe wherever they are. It's up to each individual to do the right things!

Hoping for Connie in Jan 2021 and APEX Jan 2022

Edited by hcat

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Based on our experience, which was a little behind NYC, and ahead of the rest of my state, the burden of illness on hospitals and the overall mortality rate may be less per positive case in this new bump than in the original surge. I’m being cautiously optimistic.
Positive tests are beginning to skew younger, partly because more testing is available and people are coming in for testing with milder and milder symptoms (they are coming in earlier, some are still becoming quite ill). Nursing homes in our area at least, and I suspect all over the country are much better prepared today with more PPE available, changes in procedures and just an increase in awareness. 
One big unknown that we are going to learn soon, is are the elderly in the community at the same level of risk as those in the nursing home? That’s very important in Fla and AZ with large elderly populations. My guess is no, they are healthier at a given age, that’s why they can stay at home, but the poorer and more rural will still do worse.

Finally, hospitals are much better prepared, and can handle a bigger surge than in March. Just not everywhere at once.

18 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Based on our experience, which was a little behind NYC, and ahead of the rest of my state, the burden of illness on hospitals and the overall mortality rate may be less per positive case in this new bump than in the original surge. I’m being cautiously optimistic.
Positive tests are beginning to skew younger, partly because more testing is available and people are coming in for testing with milder and milder symptoms (they are coming in earlier, some are still becoming quite ill). Nursing homes in our area at least, and I suspect all over the country are much better prepared today with more PPE available, changes in procedures and just an increase in awareness. 
One big unknown that we are going to learn soon, is are the elderly in the community at the same level of risk as those in the nursing home? That’s very important in Fla and AZ with large elderly populations. My guess is no, they are healthier at a given age, that’s why they can stay at home, but the poorer and more rural will still do worse.

Finally, hospitals are much better prepared, and can handle a bigger surge than in March. Just not everywhere at once.

Yes thanks for your continued insight and educated comments.  Positive tests are good to track for general purposes to see how the virus is persisting in any given community- but IMO not valuable for much else.  It is all about hospitalizations and recoveries.  And handling surges in upcoming waves - yes waves with a plural.  Fingers crossed for the elderly in FL and AZ.   Hopefully there has been so much learned since March that hospitals are now well equipped and have two drug treatment options (dexamethasone, remdesivir) that were not available before for the most severe cases.  By the way is it possible to treat with both drugs in combination since they have different mechanisms of action against the virus?

22 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately it isn't the issue that these people get sick as most of them tend to be younger and will in all likelihood survive if they have symptoms at all.  The issue is that they then carry it home, or to their place of business if they work at nursing homes or assisted living facilities - or to their older parents and grandparents.  Then the hospitalizations ramp up significantly and a shortage of ICU facilities is a real concern.

Yes that has always been the most important issue.

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes thanks for your continued insight and educated comments.  Positive tests are good to track for general purposes to see how the virus is persisting in any given community- but IMO not valuable for much else.  It is all about hospitalizations and recoveries.  And handling surges in upcoming waves - yes waves with a plural.  Fingers crossed for the elderly in FL and AZ.   Hopefully there has been so much learned since March that hospitals are now well equipped and have two drug treatment options (dexamethasone, remdesivir) that were not available before for the most severe cases.  By the way is it possible to treat with both drugs in combination since they have different mechanisms of action against the virus?

It is definitely about hospitalizations and recoveries.

The short answer to you question is if the patient is sick enough, sure.

I doubt we have enough experience with remdesivir to know if there are any direct interactions, I checked the side effects listed, there seems to be some liver toxicity, nothing really serious. We are just running low on Remdesivir, and it must be very hard to make more.

Decadron, though, Is super common.

From the start of Covid in the US, some physicians have used steroids some have been very reluctant.  So I think there will be a scramble to design and execute trials of dexamethasone in early stage patients and moderate ill patients (likely those first) to keep people out of the ICU and off the vent.