Is Celebrity Giving Us A "Restart" Hint?

york survey

2 minutes ago, alley24 said:

Is Port of Southampton open for cruise ships yet? Any idea when it will be open?

Good question - I think it's technically open. A bit like our train stations and public transport - open but empty with no cruises operating until August at best!!

The bigger problem is filling them as the UK currently has a 14 day quarantine for all international arrivals. This makes it unpractical for almost all international passengers. 

Personally I don't think this will last long but Southampton is one of the few ports where Celebrity can get the required (reduced) passenger numbers from "drive to" customers. Furthermore, a number of the cruise ports around northern Europe are talking about reopening as well.

So I remain confident that UK cruises will restart soon just not sure it will be anything more than a British cruise

47 minutes ago, alley24 said:

How can we get back to cruising when the cases are increasing every day in Florida, Texas, Arizona etc. Just don't see cruising till at least early next year.

More testing, more cases...

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

More testing, more cases...

That is absolutely true.

But it sure doesn't account for this:

12 states see rising Covid-19 hospitalizations as Arizona asks hospitals to activate emergency plans

• Like 2

Mayleeman, Yes I agree it certainly sounded strange to me since Celebrity's lift and switch is essentially that action, at least with an existing booking.  The action I described to her was creating a new booking because of some of those favorable cancellation terms, and then almost immediately turning that around to a different trip.  Not gonna worry about it.  If I want to do that, I'll just do it on my own since it would probably be months between the bookings in that case.

But the way things are right now, just sticking with my May and Aug '21 bookings, and possibly outright cancelling my Australia B2B Jan'20 trips.

This is just getting too hard.  Planning used to be fun.

• Like 1

Oh m'gosh..just saw a news tidbit about how public and restaurant, etc. restrooms being closed right now and the obvious resulting issues with that.  I sure hope that when the ships start sailing, the public restrooms in all the ports will also be available.  Otherwise...

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

But the percentage of positive tests is increasing in many places, which is not a function of total tests.

Good point. Also, the number of tests is not equal to the number of people tested. Some people (such as those in "key positions") get many tests, some are required to get 2 or three (such as surgery patients) and most people, even with symptoms, still can not get tested. These facts would tend to skew the positive percentage lower, yet it is going higher. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ECCruise said:

That is absolutely true.

But it sure doesn't account for this:

12 states see rising Covid-19 hospitalizations as Arizona asks hospitals to activate emergency plans

If you need a reason to account for this I I guess we just have to look at what's going on in the streets across the country right now.

4 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

If you need a reason to account for this I I guess we just have to look at what's going on in the streets across the country right now.

Your timing is a bit off but whatever. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, babylene said:

I just spoke to someone at Celebrity and he said they will start cruising in August. He didn't know any further information.

It’s hard for me to visualize an August start up.  Most cruise lines are still in the process of repatriating crew.  I am not a logistics expert, but it seems that getting the crew back to include a 14 day quarantine, adjusting contracts, training on new protocols, reenergizing supply chains, and making mandated CDC required changes will take several months.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Your timing is a bit off but whatever. 

Not quite.  Not getting political here, just mentioning some facts, but the protests started a few days after his death.  More than 14 days ago.  So the timing does fit.  I know in the Chicago area they began on May 30th.  

Anyway, moving on, so please no added commentary of political sort.  ☺️

• Like 1

Rise in cases...? So what. Probably to be expected when we opened up. 

how many people board a cruise with the flu or other diseases and we never had any problems? My doctor friends say no reason we can’t get back to normal. 

if you don’t want to cruise, don’t.

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Or the fact that Arizona, SC, FL all reopened fairly early. 

The current protestors wear masks. The ReOpen protestors proudly did not. 

2 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

My doctor friends say no reason we can’t get back to normal. 

Oh, I guess it’s all good then, pay no mind to the 116k plus dead Americans. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Or the fact that Arizona, SC, FL all reopened fairly early. 

The current protestors wear masks. The ReOpen protestors proudly did not. 

Oh, I guess it’s all good then, pay no mind to the 116k plus dead Americans. 

...And we know you don’t even have to die of COVID-19 to be considered a COVID-19 death. We need to end this madness and get back to the old normal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

...And we know you don’t even have to die of COVID-19 to be considered a COVID-19 death. We need to end this madness and get back to the old normal.

I think you are living in your pumpkin shell!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, babylene said:

I think you are living in your pumpkin shell!

Yes the virus is real and people have died. And life lost is tragic. But we have lived with west Nile, swine flu, ect hosts of other virus since the dawn of time. Curves flatten and rise and many are ALWAYS around. We can’t destroy this virus, it is Mother Nature man made or not.

most people don’t think about getting a infection when they go swimming in a pool, so they shouldn’t be anymore cautious than with normal flu season. 

so we must decide what the risks are, and companies too so they don’t get sued. Was the gross overreaction worth it... differing care of millions because of one virus?

Edited by pumpkin 11
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:01 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

My guess is they will start with the 4/5 day cruises.

With 4-5 day cruise, the chance of developping Covid after testing negative (or temperature test at embarkation) is very low IMO. I would not consider B2B cruise safe.

I think this virus is more serious. It is extremely contagious and if too widespread, hospitals can't deal with the numbers. So, we , as responsible citizens have to do our part to prevent the spread. As they say, social distance yourself, wear a mask in pubic places and wash your hands often. That is the only way to flatten the curve. You can see that where people congregated too soon, the numbers spiked.

As for swimming pools, they are not dangerous providing you keep six feet away from other swimmers.

If you want to compare this to any other disease, a better comparison would be the Spanish Flu in the early 20th century.  The similarities are far greater than those of Swine flu or Nile west.  I don't know of anyone who had those diseases, but I do know of people who had Covid.

I hope everyone posting here stays healthy.

Edited by babylene
  • Like 4