Is Celebrity Giving Us A "Restart" Hint?

york survey

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'll admit I'm not up to date.  Can you point me towards any article where these companies say they'll produce a vaccine at no profit?  

Drarill had a link they posted, but here's where I got my initial news about it: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52917118

Edited by K.T.B.

6 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Drarill had a link they posted, but here's where I got my initial news about it: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52917118

Indeed. There have been many reports about the provision of a vaccine by AstraZeneca on a not profit basis during the pandemic. Here's another. You don't need to research that far. Let's just hope that it proves to be effective and we can all move on and start cruising again without worry 

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/italy-germany-france-netherlands-sign-133749243.html?guccounter=1

Phil 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 5:19 PM, madmacs said:

Just looked at the cruise I have booked in October and the prices have rocketed which gives me thought that the cruise will be cancelled - can't see many people booking at the prices quoted

Or perhaps they want to keep guests to a minimum?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chrisclaire said:

Or perhaps they want to keep guests to a minimum?

My October cruise from Bayonne looks like we’ll be sailing alone. Have never seen so many cabins available so close to final payment. Patiently waiting for it to be cancelled. 

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

My October cruise from Bayonne looks like we’ll be sailing alone. Have never seen so many cabins available so close to final payment. Patiently waiting for it to be cancelled. 

We are due to make final payment at the end of June for our Oct 3rd out of Rome.

Keep changing my mind as to whether I should pay or not 🙈

We got such a good deal and I was so looking forward to seeing my dream place....Portofino 😥

2 hours ago, Chrisclaire said:

We are due to make final payment at the end of June for our Oct 3rd out of Rome.

We got such a good deal and I was so looking forward to seeing my dream place....Portofino 😥

Same here for Dec cruise.  Good deal aka mistake fare that they honored.  New booking would be $1000 more at least.

23 hours ago, Chrisclaire said:

Absolutely no way would I be make a further payment on a cruise that is not going to happen. Seems crazy to me and you wouldn't do it for any other purchase. Worse is that cruise lines expect you to make these payments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

Absolutely no way would I be make a further payment on a cruise that is not going to happen. Seems crazy to me and you wouldn't do it for any other purchase. Worse is that cruise lines expect you to make these payments.

Cruise lines do expect their "obedient consumers" to make the payments as they expect their "obedient consumers" to sit around and wait for refunds and they expect their "obedient consumers" to succumb to the FCC's.

Ann Landers had a great saying - "no body abuses you, with out you, having given them the permission".

Precisely the situation with some consumers posting on the CC boards.

Why would anyone put $ down to book an unknown product?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Cruise lines do expect their "obedient consumers" to make the payments as they expect their "obedient consumers" to sit around and wait for refunds and they expect their "obedient consumers" to succumb to the FCC's.

Ann Landers had a great saying - "no body abuses you, with out you, having given them the permission".

We all have choices and I must say whether Celebrity "expect" me to make that payment or not, the decision will be mine.

Unfortunately we have a non refundable return flight booked through Celebrity (which I was happy to accept at the time of booking)

If we pay the remainder and Celebrity cancel, we will receive a full refund.

If we cancel, we loose the flight cost and are left with FCC, which wouldn't be a major problem as we intend cruising with Celebrity in the future.

As I said, it's all about choices, but yes, I do wish they would make a call on when they intend to start again and how it will look,  but as this is evolving daily, my guess is they probably don't know.

• Like 2

This is not directly cruise related but it is a good and hopefully extreme example of the sort of varying conditions imposed by countries as they reopen to tourists which will prove a headache for cruise companies to negotiate through https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/cambodia-foreign-office-travel-advice-coronavirus-deposit-border-testing-a9568391.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

This is not directly cruise related but it is a good and hopefully extreme example of the sort of varying conditions imposed by countries as they reopen to tourists which will prove a headache for cruise companies to negotiate through https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/cambodia-foreign-office-travel-advice-coronavirus-deposit-border-testing-a9568391.html

Oh my goodness, interesting reading!

Let's hope you are right, and it IS extreme.

That would certainly make the decision easy on travelling to Cambodia.

Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

I'd go ahead an make the payment, sounds like this poster really wants to go to Portofino and there is nothing that is saying the cruise will be canceled. What's wrong with the FCC. At the end of the day nobody made anybody book a cruise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

We've got a cruise booked for December with flights to Singapore home from Hong Kong already booked. We were planning a land based trip as Plan B which included Cambodia..... not anymore after reading that 😮 

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

They want to preserve their track record:

128 cases.  0 deaths.

Same in Vietnam.  Although they have totally banned arrivals so no deposits there.

334 cases.  0 deaths.

Not a lot of cruises that include Cambodia (Sihanoukville) but lots to Vietnam (Halong, Phu My, Nha Trang, Da Nang).

Will be interesting to see what happens when the season there starts in a few months.   We are scheduled for January.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:29 PM, york survey said:

Is it just me or have other people noticed that the offers, which seen to be coming out from Celebrity almost daily, ALL cover cruises between 2nd October and the end of the current booking window.

Is this normal or a restart hint?

Given that news is just breaking that NCL and all the other group brands have now suspended cruises through 30th September 

I thought it was a good time to report my OP

The question is when will celebrity follow

stuart

7 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

At the end of the day nobody made anybody book a cruise.

No they didn't make anyone book a cruise but the company should not continue to take money for a cruise that will not happen. Making another payment is just subsidising them to make other peoples (possibly mine) refunds.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leck57 said:

No they didn't make anyone book a cruise but the company should not continue to take money for a cruise that will not happen. Making another payment is just subsidising them to make other peoples (possibly mine) refunds.

How you do they know if it will happen or not. They probably don't. 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:46 AM, spendless said:

Latest on Celebrity site is that cruises suspended through Sept. We are booked in Oct but will not be going as too many unknowns.

On 6/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, dutchclogs said:

I'm not seeing this - yet ?

Nothing on their site about it.

8 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Nothing on their site about it.

On the X website at the top of the page is this banner:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Global Suspension of CruisingLearn More 

When you click on the website link it brings up a list of all cancelled cruises up through September.

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

On the X website at the top of the page is this banner:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Global Suspension of CruisingLearn More 

When you click on the website link it brings up a list of all cancelled cruises up through September.

Nothing specifically about all cruises being canceled through sept though.

image.png

• Like 1