Hate to sound trivial about refund but....(regarding Ins)

MudderBear

just asking....please no judgement.

So we cancelled on March 18 (prior to HAL cancelling) for an end of May Alaska Cruise/Tour.  We have received our refund minus the $498 we paid for insurance.  Shouldn't we have received the insurance money back?    I mean, if we weren't supposed to fine, but just wondering?  Thanks

If you make a claim under your household policy do you get the insurance premium back?

If you make a claim under your motor insurance policy do you get the insurance premium back?

(rhetorical question, but illustrates the answer.)

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

just asking....please no judgement.

So we cancelled on March 18 (prior to HAL cancelling) for an end of May Alaska Cruise/Tour.  We have received our refund minus the $498 we paid for insurance.  Shouldn't we have received the insurance money back?    I mean, if we weren't supposed to fine, but just wondering?  Thanks

Was that before or after your final payment date?  I would think if it was before final payment, you should have received the insurance back...

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Was that before or after your final payment date?  I would think if it was before final payment, you should have received the insurance back...

It was after final payment so Mudderbear had to invoke the insurance to get all their money back.

They posted this in another thread:

Only received $160 from initial deposit.  I'm assuming they kept my insurance money.  We cancelled a few days before THEY cancelled (March 18 for an end of May Alaska cruise/tour).  We did receive our final payment dollars back though.”

We paid the insurance at the same time we made our initial deposit.  We got about $170 back to our credit card, $40 FCC and then NOTHING for the rest which comes out to $498 which is the cost of the two insurance policies via HAL

I didn't realize I had posted the question twice.  But bottom line, since I cancelled like a week or two before THEY cancelled, does that mean I'm NOT entitled to the insurance money?  Just wondering.  Thanks all 🙂

1 minute ago, MudderBear said:

I didn't realize I had posted the question twice.  But bottom line, since I cancelled like a week or two before THEY cancelled, does that mean I'm NOT entitled to the insurance money?  Just wondering.  Thanks all 🙂

No you didn’t post the same question twice - no worries.  

I was simply clarifying for Vict0riann.

Yes, since you cancelled before THEY cancelled it means you used the insurance and you are NOT entitled to the insurance money.

I cancelled before THEY cancelled as well so I only got a partial refund even though they cancelled later.  It’s based on when you cancelled as per the terms and conditions of your contract (page 2) when penalties kick in.  Had I held off, I would have received a 100% refund but with the new travel advisories, I couldn’t go and per my travel insurance I had to cancel.  Now, whether the insurance pays me is another story.  LOL.  

I cancelled about 2 hours before they cancelled under the no sail order and got 90% back and no refund on the insurance ( because I used it.) At the time it was my best option, because HAL was only allowing a FCC or take the cruise option. 
 Truly no regrets under the circumstances.

Maybe I would say an unpopular opinion here, but I think they owe you insurance premium back. These sailings just did not happen. In any other circumstances I would say that you cancelled therefore you "used" your insurance for your cancellation, but here it just seems like a loop hole for the company. They were NOT operational during these times. They had zero reason to keep anyone money for that long. I had to request my refund through credit card for the cruise THEY cancelled. What moral right do they have to keep your insurance money... your sailing did not happen AT ALL, entire contract should be null and void. I would call CC and discuss options.

So let me use this thread to ask a basic question.  I have never really thought about insurance cancellation before As I have always used my credit card insurance but that won’t be adequate for my next cruise..   If they cancel the cruise do you get your insurance premium returned?   Does it matter who you get the insurance from?

43 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

So let me use this thread to ask a basic question.  I have never really thought about insurance cancellation before As I have always used my credit card insurance but that won’t be adequate for my next cruise..   If they cancel the cruise do you get your insurance premium returned?   Does it matter who you get the insurance from?

Just don't get it through Allianz 😉 We paid our premium (over $3000) for a 45-day trip/cruise that was cancelled.  We paid for the insurance well before Covid had ever been heard of.  We did not take the trip, but Allianz is refusing to refund the cost of the premium even though they told DH by phone it would be refunded (how I wish we'd gotten that in writing).  Even our credit card company got nowhere with them.  We will not be using Allianz again, that I'm sure of.

I cancelled March 10 for the Maasdam March 15 cruise from Papeete.  HAL cancelled the cruise two days later.   I had booked it through VTG.  My guy there got me the insurance back within two weeks and the port fees and taxes were credited back to my credit card within a week.  It took HAL exactly 100 days to get the cruise charge refunded to my card.  But I am completely whole now  -  insurance, cruise, all fees, shore excursion, etc.  VTG guy was great!  (HAL not so much).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Just don't get it through Allianz 😉 We paid our premium (over $3000) for a 45-day trip/cruise that was cancelled.  We paid for the insurance well before Covid had ever been heard of.  We did not take the trip, but Allianz is refusing to refund the cost of the premium even though they told DH by phone it would be refunded (how I wish we'd gotten that in writing).  Even our credit card company got nowhere with them.  We will not be using Allianz again, that I'm sure of.

Yikes.  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Did they say why they wouldn't give you a full refund?  I know other insurance companies have given refunds on travel insurance on cancelled cruises.  Did you put in a complaint with ACCC?  Air lines, which wouldn't give refunds previously, such as Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Air Canada, are now giving refunds because of ACCC. 

Oops forgot this is American thread.  This is in relation to Australian insurance.  However, I understood US has consumer protection also. 

Edited by MMDown Under

41 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Did they say why they wouldn't give you a full refund?  I know other insurance companies have given refunds on travel insurance on cancelled cruises.  Did you put in a complaint with ACCC?  Air lines, which wouldn't give refunds previously, such as Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Air Canada, are now giving refunds because of ACCC. 

Oops forgot this is American thread.  This is in relation to Australian insurance.  However, I understood US has consumer protection also. 

No, we just found out today that our credit card wasn't able to get our refund, and the only information we've ever gotten from Allianz has either been "yes you're due a refund" or "we'll get back to you within x # of days.  Will try to find out their reasoning, if possible.  We've gotten different answers from every person we've called there.  Thanks for the idea, will check with any consumer protection available too.  

Check with your state's insurance commission, too.  I'm sure they're using "pandemic" as the reason but who knows, really.  Insurance is really only profitable when nothing goes wrong, so they're undoubtedly making everyone jump through hoops before they'll pay out since they're currently bleeding money.  Going through a state regulator usually gets your problem escalated from the order takers who answer the phone.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, Cruising-along said:

On 6/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, bEwAbG said:

Check with your state's insurance commission, too.  I'm sure they're using "pandemic" as the reason but who knows, really.  Insurance is really only profitable when nothing goes wrong, so they're undoubtedly making everyone jump through hoops before they'll pay out since they're currently bleeding money.  Going through a state regulator usually gets your problem escalated from the order takers who answer the phone.

Update:  Our next step was going to be the insurance commission but first DH called Allianz *one last time* yesterday.  This time he got someone who was actually very helpful.  None of our requests had gone through (too backed up??) so there was no claim filed with them even though DH sent it in 5 times.  He was urged to try again.  With no hope of it working finally after 3 months of trying, DH tried again, and lo and behold got a response in less than 24 hours that our refund of $3100 will be sent out.  I'm still not happy with the way Allianz handled things (misinformation, conflicting information) but happy we'll finally see a refund eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MudderBear said:

Is Alliance the underwriter for the regular Holland American insurance policy?  I've been looking all over the site to figure out who to contact.  Thanks.

No, I don’t believe so.  HAL’s insurance whether it be Standard or Platinum is most likely self insured.  They normally make a mint of it.  Now, that may not be the case.

If you look at the description on this link they specifically say “benefits provided by Holland America Line” and I see no mention of any the typical “underwritten by x insurance company”. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

No, I don’t believe so.  HAL’s insurance whether it be Standard or Platinum is most likely self insured.  They normally make a mint of it.  Now, that may not be the case.

If you look at the description on this link they specifically say “benefits provided by Holland America Line” and I see no mention of any the typical “underwritten by x insurance company”. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html

The pre-cruise CAR protection is HAL. Once you begin travel with the Platinum plan the policy that covers you for travel Is Underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, OH. You wouldn’t contact them unless you had a loss related to travel. 

contact HAL if you want to invoke the pre-trip CAR.

I believe the poster referring to Allianz had purchased their insurance from Allianz.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

41 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The pre-cruise CAR protection is HAL.

Thanks for confirming and for the additional insurance info after the cruise starts.