Jump to content

Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?


Recommended Posts

OT:

Dr. Pam, I appreciate your post. I just wanted to tell you that I smile every time I see your screen name. My niece was to earn her Doctor of Physical Therapy degree this month, but, due to CoViD-19, her final clinical work was delayed. She will now become Dr. Pam in September instead. 
 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Pam said:

Hi again,

 

We met you and your wife on the Mardi Gras cruise just before this Pandemic.  My DH and myself as health professionals have had a very difficult time with other posters disregarding the absolute devastation that is occurring to our loved ones.  I support your posts and hope that because of these threads that more people will be aware of masks, personal protection and curtailing normal activity until we have a vaccination.  Please folks......these are scary times.  Stay apart but stick together. PLEASE!

 

Take care,

 

Pam

We remember you Pam. Sometimes I just don’t get anyone who doesn’t value every single life. We have friends who lost moms, sisters, cousins. Some of them were health care professionals risking their lives to treat others. Stay safe yourself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

OT:

Dr. Pam, I appreciate your post. I just wanted to tell you that I smile every time I see your screen name. My niece was to earn her Doctor of Physical Therapy degree this month, but, due to CoViD-19, her final clinical work was delayed. She will now become Dr. Pam in September instead. 
 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. 

Congrats to your niece!  :)

My screen name kinda stuck when I used to see a lot of pediatric dental patients.......:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We remember you Pam. Sometimes I just don’t get anyone who doesn’t value every single life. We have friends who lost moms, sisters, cousins. Some of them were health care professionals risking their lives to treat others. Stay safe yourself. 

EVERY LIFE MATTERS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

The question now is do we even need a vaccine given the low morbidity and mortality of the virus.

The short answer is Yes we do.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sanger727 said:

 

This is exactly what concerns me about this vaccine. I"m not an anti vaxxer, have gotten all my recommended vaccines, get annual flu shot, and will get any vaccines recommended for travel. But everything about this strikes me as being too rushed. They have order commitments, mass production lined up, and begun making delivery commitments - all this for a drug that has only been through small scale human testing - no mass scale human testing for safety and absolutely no human testing to determine if it is even effective. As far as I know, we don't even have solid evidence at this point that having antibodies makes you immune. 

 

They can bring it to market, and the billions of doses can go out. That's fine. I'm low risk, I will probably give it 6 months to a year to make sure no crazy side effects emerge.  And I'm not going to feel badly about that. There have been so many historical horror stories about under studied drugs being brought to mass market. And the fact that sooooo much is already invested in this and sooooo many plans have been made around this being a success; I don't personally trust the drug company to divulge any negatives that pop up during the phase II and III trials. I suspect it will get pushed to market at this point no matter what. 

It has to be developed at high risk.  The world has no other choice.  It is really quite amazing that these vaccine efforts have been accelerated so much for our collective benefit.  Governments such as the UK and the US are funding these programs in exchange for 100's of millions of initial doses for their populations.  But a vaccine will still need to work in clinical trials and have a high safety profile to be approved.  No need to worry about that.  Why would something unsafe or not effective be pushed to market?  For what nefarious reason?  Just to say people are vaccinated?  And if it doesn't work won't that be known very soon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, ROYALBOY said:

The day after a viable vaccine is announced 🛳🛳💉💉

I am with you! Actually, it will be three weeks after the vaccine is available. You have to get in line and it usually takes 2 weeks for a vaccine to be totally up to speed.

 

I have January booked that I really am looking forward to, but without a vaccine, we will not go. What fun is it to sit at a bar and not being able to talk to anyone because they are 6 ft away? We go on cruises to interact with the staff and meet new people. We have several we have met over the years that  we still sail with.

 

Without that, we might as well stay home, order in our food and make large batches of our favorite drinks so we only have to pour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to give a shout out to the medical professionals on this board. We appreciate the work you do and the battle you are fighting to protect and treat everyone during this pandemic. If it were not for nurses and doctors, I would have died in my 40s due to a ruptured appendix. My wife would have died in her 50s due to a failed mitral valve.  I am sure thankful for our medical professionals.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We remember you Pam. Sometimes I just don’t get anyone who doesn’t value every single life. We have friends who lost moms, sisters, cousins. Some of them were health care professionals risking their lives to treat others. Stay safe yourself. 

We were on the Mardi Gras Cruise also... so many people, but glad we got that in. We don’t have another cruise booked till July 2021, fingers crossed, but we are both in that higher morbidity category...so a vaccine is a must. Right now Publix is as brave as we get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

American Airlines decision to now fill their planes to 100% (no longer blocking middle seats as of 1 July) isn't going to help.

 

We have no real fear of flying IF social distancing is to be maintained, meaning space between seats, intelligent boarding processes, etc.

Ain't no way I am sitting next to a stranger from a hot spot, who likely will yank off the mask as soon as his or her butt hits the seat.

And we fly to probably 90% of our cruises, many routes available largely on AA, so that is another nail in the coffin for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

American Airlines decision to now fill their planes to 100% (no longer blocking middle seats as of 1 July) isn't going to help.

 

We have no real fear of flying IF social distancing is to be maintained, meaning space between seats, intelligent boarding processes, etc.

Ain't no way I am sitting next to a stranger from a hot spot, who likely will yank off the mask as soon as his or her butt hits the seat.

And we fly to probably 90% of our cruises, many routes available largely on AA, so that is another nail in the coffin for us.

Agree about flying.  Even if you and an infected person sitting next to you are both wearing masks you have a risk of contacting the virus.  Unless it is a truly protective medical mask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

In the opinion section.  This is an important distinction. 

An important distinction indeed.  Also, and I couldn't read the entire article as I don't have a subscription, I believe they are talking about the Covid-19 deaths as currently predicted.  Had we not put any restrictions in place the deaths would have been much, much higher.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It has to be developed at high risk.  The world has no other choice.  It is really quite amazing that these vaccine efforts have been accelerated so much for our collective benefit.  Governments such as the UK and the US are funding these programs in exchange for 100's of millions of initial doses for their populations.  But a vaccine will still need to work in clinical trials and have a high safety profile to be approved.  No need to worry about that.  Why would something unsafe or not effective be pushed to market?  For what nefarious reason?  Just to say people are vaccinated?  And if it doesn't work won't that be known very soon?

Exactly.  And considering the risk of Covid-19, I for one am willing to take the risk of getting a newly released vaccine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ROYALBOY said:

We were on the Mardi Gras Cruise also... so many people, but glad we got that in. We don’t have another cruise booked till July 2021, fingers crossed, but we are both in that higher morbidity category...so a vaccine is a must. Right now Publix is as brave as we get. 

 

Hi guys!

Great to hear from you. Where you going next July? We have a river cruise in December but not sure we are going to be able to go. :classic_mellow: Had to move our Galapagos to next summer. 

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree about flying.  Even if you and an infected person sitting next to you are both wearing masks you have a risk of contacting the virus.  Unless it is a truly protective medical mask.

 

Totally agree. And totally agree with the previous poster about AA. And United isn't much better. Thankfully here in SEA we have predominately Alaska and Delta. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

 

Totally agree. And totally agree with the previous poster about AA. And United isn't much better. Thankfully here in SEA we have predominately Alaska and Delta. 


I miss Delta. When we lived in Atlanta they were our go to airline every time. Now United has the most flights and they are not even close to Delta.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrKoob said:

 

Hi guys!

Great to hear from you. Where you going next July? We have a river cruise in December but not sure we are going to be able to go. :classic_mellow: Had to move our Galapagos to next summer. 

 

Jim

We are planning a British Isles Cruise from Amsterdam again on the Reflection, then a transfer to Southampton for a Queen Mary TA to NY, and finally back to Home. Fingers crossed. 🤞🏼

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Why would something unsafe or not effective be pushed to market?  For what nefarious reason?  Just to say people are vaccinated?  And if it doesn't work won't that be known very soon?


for the drug company to re-coup their development cost 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ECCruise said:

American Airlines decision to now fill their planes to 100% (no longer blocking middle seats as of 1 July) isn't going to help.

 

We have no real fear of flying IF social distancing is to be maintained, meaning space between seats, intelligent boarding processes, etc.

Ain't no way I am sitting next to a stranger from a hot spot, who likely will yank off the mask as soon as his or her butt hits the seat.

And we fly to probably 90% of our cruises, many routes available largely on AA, so that is another nail in the coffin for us.

Some airlines in Canada are also easing their restrictions which will reduce physical distancing.

 

I just don't understand it.

 

The virus hasn't gone away.  So by reducing physical distance requirements, the number of cases is likely going to increase...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  And considering the risk of Covid-19, I for one am willing to take the risk of getting a newly released vaccine.  

Ditto!

Also, from what I recall reading, Oxford based the vaccine, which had been abandoned, on one being developed for SARS.  Hence the reason they're so far ahead of the game here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sanger727 said:


for the drug company to re-coup their development cost 

 

Not really a factor.  The companies developing the lead vaccines are doing so with major government funding so their risk has been minimized to a great extent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Not really a factor.  The companies developing the lead vaccines are doing so with major government funding so their risk has been minimized to a great extent.


 

If you think the vaccine is worth getting if it gets pushed out in Sept then of course you’ll get it. We all have individual situations and risk tolerances. Based on everything I’ve heard and seen to date I am very concerned that a rushed and insuffiently tested vaccine is a larger risk for me than this virus. Clearly you disagree which is fine. This vaccine will get large scale safety and efficacy testing one way or another once it gets pushed to market. 6 months later I’ll be willing to reconsider.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...