Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?

jonthomas

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I think the focus of this (still) potential announcement is how will this affect other ports of call not in the EU?

Asian ports.  Most importantly, some Caribbean ports.  The fact that Bermuda is closed until 1 November may be another indicator. 

If the EU isn't willing to allow any US visitors because they don't think we have COVID under control, I don't see Asian or Caribbean ports opening for us any time soon.  

25 minutes ago, ROYALBOY said:

The day after a viable vaccine is announced 🛳🛳💉💉

I am afraid I think you are right.

Although there are a number of cowboys and cowgirls on here who are ready to sail tomorrow no matter what the health situation is, I see a majority, even on a site for people addicted to cruising, that are far more reticent to go sailing now. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I believe I've read on here that this is not permitted.  It has to be a real port call.

Correct. The PVSA requires passengers to be able to go ashore for it to be considered a port call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NinaBlue22 said:

I don't see Asian or Caribbean ports opening for us any time soon.  

Many destination throughout Mexico, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean are either already open or opening in July. Hotels are accepting reservations and airlines have flights scheduled from the USA. If these countries are willing to accept passengers arriving by airplane, it wouldn’t be far fetched to think that they’ll also accept passengers arriving by cruise ship in the near future. 

However, I believe that the PVSA does allow for a so-called “Cruise to Nowhere” with no stops at all.  It’s been a while since I read the actual act, but I do seem to recall that this type of cruise could take place .... nothing but sea days !

Cruises to nowhere have always been prohibited by PVSA, but were not enforced much before 2016.

They are definitely enforcing that requirement now and cruise to nowhere do not exist from US ports.

CC won't let me post the links that I found since they are on sites that they block.  

Although CC has an article that states:

Editor's note: As of 2016, cruises to nowhere from American ports are not allowed under U.S. law.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Cruises to nowhere have always been prohibited by PVSA, but were not enforced much before 2016.

They are definitely enforcing that requirement now and cruise to nowhere do not exist from US ports.

No cruises to nowhere

There is nothing in the PVSA that prohibits ‘cruises to nowhere’.  The issue has to do with CBP interpretation of the rules for US work permits for the crew/staff on the ship.

Edited by d9704011

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

There is nothing in the PVSA that prohibits ‘cruises to nowhere’.  The issue has to do with CBP interpretation of the rules for US work permits for the crew/staff on the ship.

True, but it was the basically PVSA parameters that Homeland Security was enforcing:

Beginning in 2016, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection cracked down on the enforcement of maritime laws, and foreign-flagged ships could no longer sail without calling in a foreign port along the way.

Edited by ECCruise

I seem to recall what the poster d above said.  The concept of a cruise to nowhere was not prohibited under PVSA, but the problem came in regards to the visas issued to cruise members not being valid for such voyages.

so, against the law, just not against the PVSA but a different law.

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I seem to recall what the poster d above said.  The concept of a cruise to nowhere was not prohibited under PVSA, but the problem came in regards to the visas issued to cruise members not being valid for such voyages.

so, against the law, just not against the PVSA but a different law.

Additionally, one could argue that the cruises to nowhere are not against the law.  If the cruise line wished to comply with the work visa requirements and all that entails they most likely could do it.  Obviously, it’s not worth the effort and expense to do it so, no cruises to nowhere!

5 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I'm predicting short trips 4-5 days out of Florida ports that go to Coco Cay or Labadee. Very controlled sailings, beginning in Feb 2021. Another option is for the overseas cruises to begin spring 2021. 

Whenever they do start I agree, limited ships doing short runs.  Which means the cancellation/refund chaos would continue even once they've started doing some cruises. 

We lifted and shifted everything to late 2021 and January/February 2022.  No idea when they'll start, or when cruising will fun again.  We fear the restrictions and changes more than we do covid.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, francophile2 said:

So what about the Nov 8 Millennium Tokyo to Hong Kong cruise?  Will it be canceled?

Well the Millennium is still sitting off the coast of San Diego, CA along with the Eclipse.  Both the TPs were cancelled.

We were booked on the Eclipse 10/11 - Japan, Taiwan &  Vietnam and 10/27 Vietnam & Thailand cruises and cancelled to day.

I wasn't about to make final payment for cruises that have a very good chance  of being cancelled.  We are still waiting for the refund of port fees & taxes from a cruise we cancelled on March 20th.

Who the heck knows!  But for the fun of it I will put in my two cents.  I'll vote for mid-October for short Miami to Miami cruises.  I don't know enough about non-US port cruises to comment on those cruises.  I think it could conceivably be a year or two before a vaccine is widely available (although I hope for much, much sooner) and they just can't sit around waiting for that.  I believe they will work out something with the CDC and Florida officials to enable some limited type of cruising with lots of procedures in place.  They will likely stop at only one or two ports - possibly their private islands, the Bahamas, and maybe Key West.  By then some of the other islands may also be accepting of stops as well because their economy demands it.

4 hours ago, ROYALBOY said:

The day after a viable vaccine is announced 🛳🛳💉💉

No, it will be the day that the vaccine is available enough to be widely distributed. The vaccine will do no good until people are able to be inoculated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prost Seattle said:

February 2021, October 2021 for Americans is my guess. 

That's pessimistic since Dr. Fauci says there should be a vaccine by fall of this year.

12 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

That's pessimistic since Dr. Fauci says there should be a vaccine by fall of this year.

I thought he said he was ‘cautiously optimistic’ that a vaccine would be available by the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

I thought he said he was ‘cautiously optimistic’ that a vaccine would be available by the end of the year.

Watching him on the news right now. Said that he says the first one is going to widespread testing in July and that he is optimistic that if that one works out it could be widely available in October.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I say, first very limited sail will be Jan 2021. A five or seven day, from one US port to another US port. 

Something like, Miami to Miami, with maybe one stop in between. So we will see how wrong I am. I am

expecting to be way out there. We will see who comes the closest.

I saw ... it'll be a Sunday.

- Joel