Looooong Cruise Recommendations

TMW67

We are in the planning stages of our first 45 day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas cruise . We are fairly seasoned cruisers, but have never taken one longer than 9 days. For those of you who have been on ones like this, what things have you taken, or did differently than the shorter ones that has made it easier for you on such a long cruise. 

My longest cruise was 39 days, after several in the 30+ day range. 
I generally pack about the same amount of clothes, with perhaps one more evening outfit and one or two more daytime outfits. I don't mind wearing the same thing 4 or 5 times during a cruise. 

I do bring more in the way of toiletries, as those run out and are not easily replaced. I always bring new makeup, so it will last the length of the cruise. 

I find longer cruises much more relaxed than short ones. There is no need to rush to see/do everything; things that are essential to do can wait until tomorrow, or next week. The atmosphere is much calmer than a short cruise. 
You get to know people much better, as you have more opportunities to sit and chat. 
You get into a routine, more like you do at home, different from at home, but comfortable. 

Once you start to take longer cruises, you will not want to go back to short cruises. You will find a length that works best for you, and want to take more cruises in that range. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

We have taken many 30 to 70 day cruises and found that preparation before you leave is important.  Not sure if it is a local thing, but our local post office will hold our mail for that length of time even tho the yellow form you fill out says 30 days max.  We put all or our house plants in a cool area downstairs and water them well and they have been fine.  We let our neighbor know we will be gone and he will pick up any flyers or free newspapers that are dropped on our driveway so it isn't obvious from the street that we are gone.  Depending on the season we may also have our lawn mowed.  I seldom buy the ship's wifi, but check my email in most ports with their free wifi.  We have free laundry, so just take enough underwear for a week and shirts and trousers for two.  Bring enough prescription drugs and a large tube of toothpaste.  And an extra suitcase for the DW's extra shoes and dresses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with most everything said except that I still enjoy short cruises.  In today's environment I would also suggest packing at least an extra 2 weeks of medications just in case.

One more thing, for that itinerary be SURE to arrive at the port a couple of days early.  If you miss the ship, the PVSA will not allow you to board in Hawaii (assuming it's round trip with a US start-end).

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, RuthC said:

My longest cruise was 39 days, after several in the 30+ day range. 
I generally pack about the same amount of clothes, with perhaps one more evening outfit and one or two more daytime outfits. I don't mind wearing the same thing 4 or 5 times during a cruise. 

I do bring more in the way of toiletries, as those run out and are not easily replaced. I always bring new makeup, so it will last the length of the cruise. 

I find longer cruises much more relaxed than short ones. There is no need to rush to see/do everything; things that are essential to do can wait until tomorrow, or next week. The atmosphere is much calmer than a short cruise. 
You get to know people much better, as you have more opportunities to sit and chat. 
You get into a routine, more like you do at home, different from at home, but comfortable. 

Once you start to take longer cruises, you will not want to go back to short cruises. You will find a length that works best for you, and want to take more cruises in that range. 

I agree with Ruth.  

I do enjoy longer cruises, too and find that you kind of get into “cruise mode” on the sea days.  They pass faster than you would think they would.

One other thing I will add, since you are on for a longer period of time, it’s easier not to put on weight (at least for me) as you know you’ll have an opportunity to have something that appeals at another opportunity.  So, no need to try to pack everything in like some are tempted to do on a longer cruise.

• Like 2

also on Meds - about 2 weeks before leaving home I check on my prescription meds - do I have enough for my cruise plus about a week after it.  I start early as sometimes I have to renew my prescription which may add a few days for my mail delivery.  On longer cruises (say 2 - 4 months), I also may need a few more days as the Pharm. has to check with my physician to give me "extra" pills (or an early renewal).  Much of this depends on your insurance company and specific meds you may take.  I want to get this all sorted out early so that the last few days before leaving home I am not madly trying to get enough meds for the trip.  After many cruises I must say except for one time (when I had not thought things out well enough) all has worked smoothly for each trip.I just do not like last minute "panic" situations.

I love longer cruises.  My longest so far was 65 days in the Med/TA and I still could have stayed on.  Besides all the other great advice above, I bring more things to do in my "down time" (crafts, books on Kindle, etc.).   I have lists of my meds, contacts and passwords in my (locked) iphone so it's easy to find them in one place.  I leave my itinerary and contact info with several friends and relatives, and let them know how to contact me in an emergency or problem with the house while we're gone. 

• Like 3

We started to do longer cruises but found that even at 21 days we were very  happy to disembark.  We had designs on much longer cruises but never made it.   Fourteen days is our sweet spot with not too many sea days.    I guess it depends on where, when, and the itinerary.  We find that after a while all the food starts to taste the same to us and we get tired of the same accommodation and of the ship itself.   We did one TA.  Wonderful ship, weather was perfect, cruise was perfect.  We were both ready to jump by the morning of day 4.  It was not for us.

I think that you will just have to try longer cruises in order to discover your likes and dislikes as we did.

We pack for 7 days or so even when travelling for two months at a time.  So we depend on DIY and laundry facilities.  On board we almost always do the stuff a bag for $20. routine.   We use the per item very infrequently.   We only travel with travel friendly clothing.  Easy care, etc.  Laundry is simply one of those costs that we factor in to the overall cost of cruising.  The cost would be a function of the type of clothing you bring, ie does it require piecemeal approach, and whether you up for the DIY approach and can rinse out some of your own clothing from time to time.  OR...if you are fortunate enough to have unlimited laundy as a perk.

Edited by iancal

56 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I have had that experience even a short cruise (on the Nieuw Amsterdam) that had lots of sea time.

On the other hand, I have been on one 7-day cruise - but only one - where if I had had to spend even one more day on the ship with the same people, I might have jumped overboard.

• Haha 1

I would agree with most all of these comments, and add that  the 30+ cruises saves a lot on airfare - one flight as opposed to 2 or 3 for 7-14 day ones.   Not as much adapting to time zones, more days to "soak up" the culture where you are visiting, I could go on......

I would suggest that the OP do a cruise of around 20 days before booking a 45 day cruise.  Going from 9 days to 45 days is a huge jump and he/she may find that they just don't like being on a ship for that length of time. 

I have numerous cruising friends who have told me that their "sweet spot" is about 25 days.  I have spoken to quite a few people who have done World Cruises.  Some really enjoy them, but others have said that the World was the worst mistake they ever made.  They were sick of the ship by Day 30.

I, personally, have spent 31 days onboard by booking back-to-back cruises.  I was testing the waters prior to booking the Voyage of the Vikings. 

38 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I would suggest that the OP do a cruise of around 20 days before booking a 45 day cruise.  Going from 9 days to 45 days is a huge jump and he/she may find that they just don't like being on a ship for that length of time. 

I have numerous cruising friends who have told me that their "sweet spot" is about 25 days.  I have spoken to quite a few people who have done World Cruises.  Some really enjoy them, but others have said that the World was the worst mistake they ever made.  They were sick of the ship by Day 30.

I, personally, have spent 31 days onboard by booking back-to-back cruises.  I was testing the waters prior to booking the Voyage of the Vikings. 

This is good advice.  Last year we sailed on the 51 day Tales of the South Pacific(MS Amsterdam).  It was a fabulous cruise, but, too long.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would feel this way.  We think our sweet spot is around 30 days.  However, I wonder if we were on a larger,  more lively ship if we would feel different

We pack virtually the same for a two week cruise as a two month or longer cruise with the exception of meds we need to bring and the number of thumb drive or SD cards for pictures.  We travel with a backpack and small roll-on but I'm aware that just doesn't work for some.  One of the biggest challenges is when we need to prepare for radically different weather conditions. 

We’ve done several around 30 days, but the longest was 80. At that point, it’s really like packing for a 14 day cruise, plus any destination specific items. And after a certain point, life on board is more like living in a village than passing through vacation accommodation. 
Our 80 day cruise was supposed to be 128 days, but COVID happened. Suddenly we were in Perth with no ship in sight. Our luggage has now been on the Amsterdam just shy of six months, and has far more loooong voyage experience than we do. 😏

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

Thanks for the concern, but I really don't think we will have a problem. We both love cruising & always have felt like the cruises are never long enough but was all we could afford to do at the time, or have the time for. Traveling to new & beautiful places makes me giddy, & even just sitting on deck watching the ocean, or getting up early to watch the sunrise is something I love to do, & will never tire of it. We are retiring the end of the year, so we will finally have the time to go on a lengthy cruise to our dream destinations. 🥰

I realize that 9 to 45 is a big difference, but we're willing to give it a shot. 😊 This kind of adventure will probably only happen once for us.

I appreciate all the helpful advice. Thank you so much!!❤️

Edited by TMW67
  • Like 4

Also curious about currency exchange. I read that this is available at guest services on board, but is this the best route to do so? Do you get a good exchange rate?

26 minutes ago, TMW67 said:

Also curious about currency exchange. I read that this is available at guest services on board, but is this the best route to do so? Do you get a good exchange rate?

Can you give us the ship, date and ports involved.  I think the answer may differ for each country.  I haven't been to Marquesas but for at least Papeete I think you can do most with credit cards as one of the best options.  I think the answer will also depend a lot on what goods and services you will be buying on shore.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Can you give us the ship, date and ports involved. 

Volendam,  Oct 4 - Nov 18, 2021. Tabuaeran (Fanning Island) Kiribati, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Alofi Niue, Cook Islands & French Polynesia would be the ones I would need currency for I thinking. Some of these tiny islands don't even have electricity, so buying souvenirs from locals would most likely need cash & in their currency, correct?? We would book excursions in these areas online ahead of time.

I did the 51 day Tales of the South Pacific last year. Great cruise. We really love the sea days. I managed to read 17 books! Wow. Karen is a knitter and spent many hours in the Explorer's Lounge with fellow needleworkers. Several of them we had cruised with previously. The big difference with what we did and the Volendam is Vanuatu.

We had no problem with currency, of course we did not purchase much. By the time this itinerary gets underway, the locals will really be pleased to have any tourists on their island. Karen just told me we changed money for Tonga. I don't remember that (this getting old sucks).

Jim

• Like 1

We were on Fanning Island in 2019 with the Eurodam. It is a very interesting place. The locals have tables set up as you get off the tender. They take American dollars. No charge cards, no ATM. Very primitive but we really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I have only sailed Crystal in that area and perhaps about half the ports.  One thing they have is excellent port descriptions and I've looked at a few of them.  In addition to the currency they indicate ports where US dollars are widely accepted.

In Pago Pago, the US Dollar is king.

We missed Apia

Fiji has it's own currency.

We were denied entry to Nuku'alofa due to Covid.

I don't have any information on Niue since we visited on a Sunday.

Cook Islands has it's own currency. but seem to accept NZ dollars as well.

French Polynesia has it's own currency but US dollars are likely to be accepted.

Fanning Island was not on my itinerary.

If you working with private tour operators perhaps you could ask them for recommendations about currency.

Good luck.

Wishing you a great voyage.  My longest single voyage was 80 days on the Prinsendam and they practically had to throw me off at the end.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Fanning Island was not on my itinerary.

I can help with this one.  They will happily take U.S. dollars.  Take SMALL bills as it will mostly be for little handworks and for children, etc.

Handworks here have been priced well in the past.  Fanning Island is a tender port and can be a tricky one, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1