Dancing of the Ships After Cruising Resumes

mattcj89

Does anyone want to speculate on any potential changes that might cause ships to change homeports once cruising resumes?

More than likely, if cruises resume before the end of the year Port Canaveral would most likely be without it’s two longer itinerary ships (Radiance and Mardi Gras) to sail the 7 day and 6/8 day runs. With many ships being scattered across the world, it would make sense to fill that void with another ship. I would believe some homeports would be less quick to resume service (California), so I wonder if Carnival would replace ships if only temporarily with another ship. 

I could see Panorama taking over Mardi Gras’ itinerary until Mardi Gras is complete and possibly Miracle taking Radiance’s routes since there will probably be more restrictions in California than in Florida. 

It’ll be very interesting to see what happens, especially once we find out what ship(s) are removed from the fleet. 

9 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I can't say I have a clue on how it will look. Heck, I wonder if the cruise lines even know what the future looks like.

I wouldn't be mad to see a bigger ship in Puerto Rico. Doubt it though.

If Fantasy goes, I’d be surprised to see Fascination stay in San Juan. Especially with all of the issues cruise lines had been having with San Juan before the COVID mess. 

Edited by mattcj89
Rewording

I hope Panorama isn't moved as I am planning on a combo Las Vegas/ Shark fishing/ cruise in november 2021. it will be our first time in the Havana area. As an Autistic group, the havana area will help some of us with sensory issues.

47 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I don't think anything is resuming before the end fo the year, but if it does you might see Norfolk and Charleston being used a lot more.

Even South Carolina is a covid hot spot.  It's even listed as one of the states that has to isolate for 14 days if their residents fly to the NY/NJ/Con area.  

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

At the rate Florida and California are going, New York might be the first to resume cruising.

too bad Carnival canceled all of their New York sailings and they no longer cruise out of NY year round like what they did about 6-7 years ago or so 😞

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

too bad Carnival canceled all of their New York sailings and they no longer cruise out of NY year round like what they did about 6-7 years ago or so 😞

Never say never. Bermuda is one of the few counties that is open, and is even accepting Americans. It is certainly possible.

• Like 1

Never say never. Bermuda is one of the few counties that is open, and is even accepting Americans. It is certainly possible.

With the current requirements to visit Bermuda, it would seem very difficult to meet those requirements arriving on a cruise ship. This is just a portion of the requirements:

Upon Arrival — Upon arrival, travellers must:

Present a copy of the pre-departure COVID-19 negative test result

Undergo PCR COVID-19 testing at the Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport and isolate in their room at their accommodation until results are ready (turnaround time between 6 to 8 hours in most cases, when arrival happens during the day). This applies to adults and children ages 10 and up. Children less than 10 years-old are exempt from the PCR COVID-19 test.

Travellers who do not have a pre-departure negative PCR COVID-19 test result must isolate in their room at accommodation for three days after arrival. They will be tested on day three and if both tests are negative, visitors are free to enjoy Bermuda. A positive test will result in isolation.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

7 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

With the current requirements to visit Bermuda, it would seem very difficult to meet those requirements arriving on a cruise ship. This is just a portion of the requirements:

Upon Arrival — Upon arrival, travellers must:

I think they would be modified for cruise ships. And, for example, Carnival could require a pre-cruise test and administer one at boarding the ship. Temp checks can be done on the ship, etc. Instead of one sea day to Bermuda, maybe 2, and overnight before letting passengers off the next day.

A few thousand people descending on Bermuda at one time might overwhelm their systems, though.

Just now, phoneman69 said:

thanks for the info

You're welcome. Royal has docked ginormous ships there. I think Carnival has a problem once with life boats on Carnival Dream over a decade ago, but that should have been addressed by now.

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

At the rate Florida and California are going, New York might be the first to resume cruising.

But you have to take into account the politics in each of those states. New York and California have been pretty cautious, while Florida has been anxious to return to normal. Any of them would require CDC approval of course, but even with that approval I could see New York holding back and Florida going ahead regardless of the current infection numbers.

And the infection numbers could be totally different by the end of the year. Maybe New York will be bad again by then, who knows?

Edited by Earthworm Jim

This is an interesting thread.  I won't do too much guessing, because my crystal ball isn't that good.

One thing that I'm sure Miami has/is considered is homeporting a ship in Barbados and bypassing the US altogether.  Can they gather enough Caribbean/European guests to make a decent profit?  Who knows?  It might be enough to give the crew some practice at the new procedures.

21 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Even South Carolina is a covid hot spot.  It's even listed as one of the states that has to isolate for 14 days if their residents fly to the NY/NJ/Con area.  

A large part of that is in the Myrtle Beach area, not Charleston.

23 hours ago, mattcj89 said:

I’d be surprised to see Fascination stay in San Juan. Especially with all of the issues cruise lines had been having with San Juan before the COVID mess. 

Puerto Rico is reopening to tourism on July 15th, albeit with protocols for arriving tourists. 

• Like 1