The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

Up here in Maine at this time of year we have to allow extra time getting anywhere since parent birds take their young for walks and cross many main roads.  They are very good at blocking and having guard birds make sure all is well.  It is very cute except when you need to get somewhere.

Probably better though than a moose.

Roy

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I missed that one.  Shark!

"Amity, you know, means friendship."

I’m better with finding cars than I am with finding Waldo… That shifty SOB.  😒 

Vince

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Is there a turkey in the house?  You betcha.

Today's team trivia question and the winner will get.......well let's not worry about that.

So why did the Turkey cross the road?

IMG_3275.thumb.jpeg.b037bcdf422a674450496fc77737ca09.jpeg

Winner will be announced tomorrow.

Same time and same Turkey (or is that Bat) station.

Keith

To prove he wasn't a chicken.  Hope I didn't fowl up the answer...

P.S.  I'll take my prize in twenties, please.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

This is what happens when equipment for a pond temporarily breaks down and with the strong heat it kills off some of the fish.. It was like a road kill but with many more than the few you might see.  

For a moment,  I felt like I was momentarily in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

I was not singing "who let the dogs out" in case you are wondering.

As soon as equipment issue resolved they flew the coup.

Keith

IMG_0707.thumb.jpeg.d953e59c48f06b45de55e870614384ad.jpegIMG_0708.thumb.jpeg.b4856dfd1850eff320505133cc79584d.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

This is what happens when equipment for a pond temporarily breaks down and with the strong heat it kills off some of the fish.. It was like a road kill but with many more than the few you might see.  

For a moment,  I felt like I was momentarily in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

I was not singing "who let the dogs out" in case you are wondering.

As soon as equipment issue resolved they flew the coup.

Keith

IMG_0707.thumb.jpeg.d953e59c48f06b45de55e870614384ad.jpegIMG_0708.thumb.jpeg.b4856dfd1850eff320505133cc79584d.jpeg

Yeah, but at least your state energy grid is independent.

• Haha 1

Today we went for a walk from Griebnitzsee to the Glienicke Brücke in Berlin. It is a little over 7 kmts walk, quite easy but since we are not that young anymore still demanding for us. Lots of impressions on the way, for example The Truman Villa, the Stalin Villa… I guess those were the places where those guests were staying at the time of the conference in Berlin at the end of WW II.

One thing that caught my attention was a small table in front of a house in which some home products like honey were being sold. The owners were just trusting that people are honest and after picking the product will deposit the correct amount of money for it at the same place. I was glad to see that. This is something that I have seen in rural areas but not that much in cities. In Berlin is becoming more and more difficult to trust others. But it is nice, isn’t it?

Ivi8DE20AC4-8ED7-4BB0-8E23-335397C1EB70.thumb.jpeg.948efb522b6b35be53dff32da55fec57.jpeg

• Like 6

The following message has been endorsed by absolutely zero health departments in the US:

I am pleased to announce the grand re-opening of the new and improved Chez Kenz: a Mediocre Bistro, BBQ Joynt and Great American Steakhouse (that's GAS, for short.)

Last night was GAS night.

The menu:

Shrimp Cocktail, (homemade cocktail sauce)

Pate for crustacean allergic OLoPP

Charcoal cooked 2.8 pound bone-in "Cowboy" ribeye

Baked potato, usual toppings (but no butter)

Homemade vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce

The stairway to beef heaven:

IMG_0199.thumb.jpg.96f36efb392e075ee4c56757e0060f2e.jpg

Before: 24 hour dry brine, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder: 

IMG_0200.thumb.jpg.99d6d5e1ac6d732799db7443a8b13c83.jpg

The glorious result (sorry for the mess, this was of course before final pretty plating.  The kitchen was pretty hectic last night:)

IMG_0201.thumb.jpg.0d04cfc5473bac52c86b34a3f9ad844c.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Impressive!! Looks almost as good as the 12 ounce "Peppercorn Steak Frites" I had at our favourite local restaurant last night!!🙂

And I’m sitting here, trying to remember my last night’s dinner!

• Haha 6

I always say you are never too old to learn and often I learn from my own children and grand children.  Those grandchildren know many trick on the iPad and iPhone.  They don't have iPhones yet but they know how to use them.  

My son convinced me to purchase a Pellet Smoker and recommended a Traeger which I have posted about a few months ago.  In a typical week I cook between four to five meals using the Pellet Grill.  Food comes out tasty and moist.  

We are not big beef eaters and I used to go months without having any but once in awhile we have something.

Since returning from Sydney in March of 2020 as the Pandemic hit at home we have not dined out one time where we live other than a couple of outdoor meeting lunches for me.  Our only meals out were on the cruises we took with Crystal last year and room service and one outdoor lunch in Nassau.  In Iceland and in Miami we didn't dine out.

So this leads me to yesterday.  We celebrated a milestone anniversary (well at this age they are all milestones aren't they).and for the first time on the Traeger smoker I cooked beef filets and picked up Wagyu Beef.  

Only challenge was our heat at home.  Cooking them when it is 100 degrees (F) and with a full sun was what we call here "Hot", "Hot", "Hot".  I've heard that the Prego Galley cane become quite hot for the chef(s) and I was reminded of that yesterday.

In spite of that we enjoyed a wonderful meal including Keith's house salad, delicious bread, the Filet's and even a variation of a french fry (baked).  After all it was a special day.  LOL.

And we finished that off with a cake prepared by the Executive Chef of our household; Anne Marie.

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.a3e2b07ca516cd7e0be0f160569dd344.jpeg

Just so you know though next year I want to be dining on our Anniversary on a Crystal Ocean Vessel.

Keith

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Happy anniversary Keith

Nancy

Yes, Happy Anniversary, Keith and Anne Marie.  I am not at a stage where I buy any cooking equipment unless it's absolutely necessary.

Roy

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Yes, Happy Anniversary, Keith and Anne Marie.  I am not at a stage where I buy any cooking equipment unless it's absolutely necessary.

Roy

Mr B just bought a new wallet and pronounced it to be his last wallet. I’m not too worried, as he uses a wallet until the credit cards start to fall out. Then he goes to Marshall’s, walks all around looking for wallets, can’t find them so breaks down and asks somebody, tries to follow their instructions but almost fails.

Then there are so many choices, he finds it challenging to make a decision.

Use it in good health, I tell him, after he reports on all the ones he rejected, as well as the one he purchased.

Ain’t life grand?

Happy anniversary, Keith and Anne Marie.

Roy, I salute your plan.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I always say you are never too old to learn and often I learn from my own children and grand children.  Those grandchildren know many trick on the iPad and iPhone.  They don't have iPhones yet but they know how to use them.  

My son convinced me to purchase a Pellet Smoker and recommended a Traeger which I have posted about a few months ago.  In a typical week I cook between four to five meals using the Pellet Grill.  Food comes out tasty and moist.  

We are not big beef eaters and I used to go months without having any but once in awhile we have something.

Since returning from Sydney in March of 2020 as the Pandemic hit at home we have not dined out one time where we live other than a couple of outdoor meeting lunches for me.  Our only meals out were on the cruises we took with Crystal last year and room service and one outdoor lunch in Nassau.  In Iceland and in Miami we didn't dine out.

So this leads me to yesterday.  We celebrated a milestone anniversary (well at this age they are all milestones aren't they).and for the first time on the Traeger smoker I cooked beef filets and picked up Wagyu Beef.  

Only challenge was our heat at home.  Cooking them when it is 100 degrees (F) and with a full sun was what we call here "Hot", "Hot", "Hot".  I've heard that the Prego Galley cane become quite hot for the chef(s) and I was reminded of that yesterday.

In spite of that we enjoyed a wonderful meal including Keith's house salad, delicious bread, the Filet's and even a variation of a french fry (baked).  After all it was a special day.  LOL.

And we finished that off with a cake prepared by the Executive Chef of our household; Anne Marie.

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.a3e2b07ca516cd7e0be0f160569dd344.jpeg

Just so you know though next year I want to be dining on our Anniversary on a Crystal Ocean Vessel.

Keith

Happy anniversary and looks delish....ummmm, potatoes, ummmm.

I know what you mean about cooking in the heat.   It's been nasty here along with our very special "air you can wear" humidity.  Standing out in it and raising the lid on a small blast furnace isn't the unbridled joy the youtube videos make it out to be.  Oh well, beats heating up the kitchen in this weather.  And there's always beer.    

Finally, a modest but satisfying coda to Saturday's extravaganza:

IMG_0204.thumb.jpg.e0973e3b8f27fbe7690b912b3fb9388b.jpg

• Like 5

@KenzSailing, here is another coda to your extravaganza.  Keith looks like he has never had a bowl of ice cream, and I know Roy is an ice cream guy.  I get to stay in the cool kitchen while DH is outside at the grill and smoker in the "air you can wear" - perfect description!  I bought a Whynter ice cream maker and in less than an hour, I have a batch of delicious mint ice cream with stracciatella-type chocolate shavings in it.  I chop up some Mint Milano cookies and put those in for good measure.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc2b0a0993c319ae69182dd4f2fc2ef8.jpeg

Happy Anniversary to Keith and Anne Marie!

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

@KenzSailing, here is another coda to your extravaganza.  Keith looks like he has never had a bowl of ice cream, and I know Roy is an ice cream guy.  I get to stay in the cool kitchen while DH is outside at the grill and smoker in the "air you can wear" - perfect description!  I bought a Whynter ice cream maker and in less than an hour, I have a batch of delicious mint ice cream with stracciatella-type chocolate shavings in it.  I chop up some Mint Milano cookies and put those in for good measure.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc2b0a0993c319ae69182dd4f2fc2ef8.jpeg

Happy Anniversary to Keith and Anne Marie!

Nice, that's summer in a bowl, right there.

• Like 1