The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

20 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

and some people say Crystal Symphony is old…

https://thepointsguy.com/news/astoria-worlds-oldest-cruise-vessel-scrapped/

Maybe yes. Maybe no. Here's a different article. Jury's still out, apparently.

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/owner-denies-world-s-oldest-cruise-ship-has-been-sold-for-recycling/2-1-1395779

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Thanks. I was just fascinated to see how old it was 

Edited by Stickman1990

20 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Amen, Brother! How are you feeling? All well and ready to rumble?

Patty

Hey, thanks for asking.  No major worries here(thank you vaccines) just a little worn down from some antibiotics I'm on and, as you may have noticed, a little cranky. 😁

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

DennyDeckPlan: sounds like the mess hall on an aircraft carrier.

Yeah, that's not a very good comeback, but with this darn covid recovery, I may have lost a step(protip, don't catch this stuff.)  Anyway, glad for the excitement of the last 48 hours or so, it's helped keep me going.  Gonna be a little while before I man the stoves.

Also, and while it's completely predictable,  there is a WHOLE lot of "but this isn't the new Crystal I had in mind" consuming the board.  I mean, of course it isn't.  But there are turndown chocolates.

I hope you will be feeling better every day.

And yep to your last paragraph!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Looking forward to dining at Tastes again.  I can just "taste" the cuisine as I think about it.

dsc00716_2.jpg.fe38504e4793554d25c658c2fa534390.jpg

dsc00717_2.jpg.5a0dbc4d52a7e1f651f74204e15c9360.jpg

dsc00720_2.jpg.01e7ac0253f7a339cf1a518bf7c681ce.jpg

dsc00718_3.jpg.57a193011ccb244048a5a53275833642.jpg

dsc00715_2.jpg.d875e2c9192f5975bdd3ed9399bfde30.jpg

Oh and before I forget.

Bags are packet.  Ready to go.  Can't wait.

Keith

Let's hope you like it Keith as it will be to Manfredi's Taste now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, May B said:

Does the name Debbie Downer mean anything to anyone?

Why yes, it does.  I fact, that reminds me of a story.

Debbie Downer was a character originated and played by Rachel Dratch on Saturday Night Live, a few years ago.

(Now, my story diverges at this point, but I'll get back to Debbie/Rachel, I promise.)

The Kennedy Center here in DC runs a very well done series they call Broadway Center Stage.  They team with a Broadway production company to bring top Broadway musical talent to DC for their own unique productions(as opposed to just booking a road show version of Hamilton, etc.)   They can entice this top talent here with one clever wrinkle:  it's only a four week commitment(Broadway contracts are typically for multi-month runs.)  It's an abbreviated and compressed schedule:  two weeks of rehearsal in NYC, down to DC for four days of technical rehearsal for integration with the KC orchestra, sets, costumes, and then eleven performances over ten days.  Then poof, it's over, almost like it never happened.  The shows are fully staged and tremendously good, it's been a huge success.

So this past fall the production was "Guys and Dolls," an old chestnut and sure-fire crowd pleaser, and we were there.  It was fantastic(the folks sitting next to us were theater culture-vultures down from NY to take it in.)  Now, and you probably know this, but G&D revolves around a lot of NY gamblers/hustlers/low-lifes trying to get a craps game together.  One of the key participants in the craps game is a character from out of town called "Big Julie."  Big Julie is a domineering, comically menacing figure, typically played by a large man with a baritone voice.

In this production Big Julie was played by, wait for it: Rachel Dratch.  Now, understand Ms Dratch cannot be five feet tall.  She is a diminutive person.  And here she comes lumbering on stage in this padded suit, over sized fedora on her head, and cheesy fake mustache affixed to her upper lip.  The crowd knew it was coming and still howled with delight.  Needless to say she chewed the scenery, dominated her scenes, and left everyone laughing to tears.  It was a great and grand evening.

And that is my Debbie Downer/Rachel Dratch story. 

As the kids say, video or it didn't happen:

Encore, encore:

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Debbie Downer was a character originated and played by Rachel Dratch on Saturday Night Live, a few years ago.

I’ve busted my gut way too many times watching Debbie on SNL. My favorite is at Disneyland. Watching the cast painfully trying to keep straight faces as priceless as Debbie’s performance. Thank God for YouTube! 😉

• Like 1

I didn't feel the need to be on one of the inaugural cruises with New Crystal, and I decided to wait and not even put any money down to get some "freebies", so I sincerely hope that some of you fun people on this thread will have also done the same thing and I can be on the same cruises with you whenever that is.  I like to travel with fun people and not any Debbie Downers.  Thanks for the entertainment and off-topic posts!

• Like 1

A wave I captured on the infamous 0205 on Symphony in 2010.We sailed through 2 cyclones as I recall, between Fiji, and Sydney Australia.Another passenger and myself went running around deck 5 taking pictures AND or videos.I never got seasick and don't frankly remember the last time I did 🙂

0205 storm.jpg

Edited by wearesiamese

Article this week in a SF Bay Area publication promoting cruises from San Francisco this year, and using a Crystal ship from their files. My first thought was Symphony, but then wondered if it could be Harmony?

I’ll leave which ship up to the sharp-eyed experts here! 

With Princess being the only line that homeports a ship year round in SF, I gotta give them credit for using Crystal as their visual in promoting cruising from Northern California. 😉

https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article/cruises-from-san-francisco-17754367.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1YYaeYTRLJxbNCqJgeHd8WX5eIR6fr4z9AmKn4-shwoGPIKieis-q8_gc

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 1:48 PM, KenzSailing said:

(Now, my story diverges at this point, but I'll get back to Debbie/Rachel, I promise.)

The Kennedy Center here in DC runs a very well done series they call Broadway Center Stage.  They team with a Broadway production company to bring top Broadway musical talent to DC for their own unique productions(as opposed to just booking a road show version of Hamilton, etc.)   They can entice this top talent here with one clever wrinkle:  it's only a four week commitment(Broadway contracts are typically for multi-month runs.)  It's an abbreviated and compressed schedule:  two weeks of rehearsal in NYC, down to DC for four days of technical rehearsal for integration with the KC orchestra, sets, costumes, and then eleven performances over ten days.  Then poof, it's over, almost like it never happened.  The shows are fully staged and tremendously good, it's been a huge success.

So this past fall the production was "Guys and Dolls," an old chestnut and sure-fire crowd pleaser, and we were there.  It was fantastic(the folks sitting next to us were theater culture-vultures down from NY to take it in.)  Now, and you probably know this, but G&D revolves around a lot of NY gamblers/hustlers/low-lifes trying to get a craps game together.  One of the key participants in the craps game is a character from out of town called "Big Julie."  Big Julie is a domineering, comically menacing figure, typically played by a large man with a baritone voice.

In this production Big Julie was played by, wait for it: Rachel Dratch.  Now, understand Ms Dratch cannot be five feet tall.  She is a diminutive person.  And here she comes lumbering on stage in this padded suit, over sized fedora on her head, and cheesy fake mustache affixed to her upper lip.  The crowd knew it was coming and still howled with delight.  Needless to say she chewed the scenery, dominated her scenes, and left everyone laughing to tears.  It was a great and grand evening.

And that is my Debbie Downer/Rachel Dratch story. 

As the kids say, video or it didn't happen:

Encore, encore:

I did not know about the Kennedy Center’s modus operandi. Thx for th3 wonderful post!

And I love love love an appreciative audience!

• Like 3

59 years ago four lads arrived to JFK and two days later would be on The Ed Sullivan Show.  So wish I was alive to have watched them on Ed Sullivan.   Well, I guess I was. I just can't remember. LOL. I do and to think they were performing only 27 miles from my home.  And when they had their final performance at the former Shea Stadium only 18 miles from home.  Now if I was older at the time, who knows.  Maybe it would have been Meet The Beatles or With The Beatles.

Keith

1344020045_Unknown3_06_18AM.jpeg.168700ec710abdd4b1706e1f0f89d37c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:37 AM, BEAV said:

Article this week in a SF Bay Area publication promoting cruises from San Francisco this year, and using a Crystal ship from their files. My first thought was Symphony, but then wondered if it could be Harmony?

I’ll leave which ship up to the sharp-eyed experts here! 

With Princess being the only line that homeports a ship year round in SF, I gotta give them credit for using Crystal as their visual in promoting cruising from Northern California. 😉

https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article/cruises-from-san-francisco-17754367.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1YYaeYTRLJxbNCqJgeHd8WX5eIR6fr4z9AmKn4-shwoGPIKieis-q8_gc

Your instinct is right (as usual)...  It's Symphony.  🙂 

Vince