The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

We are just forgetting that this forum was for all fun things not Crystal related 😉

Ivi

That thought actually ran through my mind! But I’m in a feisty mood to be inappropriate! 

• Haha 3

Today in history.  

Well I should say in Beatle history.

59 years ago The Beatles performed live for the first time in America on The Ed Sullivan show where it is estimated that 79 million people turn into CBS to watch. I was one of them along with my family.  I remember the evening as if it was "Yesterday".  Ummm. That would make a great name for a song. 

As they say, the rest is history.

Keith

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I remember this event, but my story is probably different from yours and others.

I was still too young to appreciate The Beatles. (And I know that you are one or two years younger than I am.) I was still several years from being a teen, and only then, after reading that it was okay in my haftorah, did I have an interest in Rock music.

It happens that Disney had a three-part series that aired at the same nights and time as The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The series was called "Scarecrow" * and was essentially a British version of Zorro. I don't remember much about the story, but the song is forever ingrained in my head - "Scarecrow, Scarecrow, the soldiers of the King feared his name ..."

But here's the rest of the story. My family had two TV sets, one large (maybe 25 inches) RCA color console, and one small Zenith B&W. My older siblings got to watch The Beatles on the large console, whereas I was relegated to the small set in the den. This was inherently unfair, and stupid, because Scarecrow was in color, whereas Ed Sullivan was not. **

* That's the name as I remember it, but if you Google it, you might find alternate names. One great thing about it, which I didn't appreciate then, was that it starred Danger Man, Patrick McGoohan!

** Many believe that it was this terrible injustice that led me to become an outlaw on Cruise Critic 59 years later.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just a quick note about my absence.  I went in the hospital 1/28 with pneumonia and came out 2/1 but I am completely drained of energy and moving in slow motion.

Roy

Take care roy and get well soon

nancy

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just a quick note about my absence.  I went in the hospital 1/28 with pneumonia and came out 2/1 but I am completely drained of energy and moving in slow motion.

Roy

Roy, you rest.  Get well.  Thinking of you.

Keith

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ambiguous J said:

I remember this event, but my story is probably different from yours and others.

I was still too young to appreciate The Beatles. (And I know that you are one or two years younger than I am.) I was still several years from being a teen, and only then, after reading that it was okay in my haftorah, did I have an interest in Rock music.

It happens that Disney had a three-part series that aired at the same nights and time as The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The series was called "Scarecrow" * and was essentially a British version of Zorro. I don't remember much about the story, but the song is forever ingrained in my head - "Scarecrow, Scarecrow, the soldiers of the King feared his name ..."

But here's the rest of the story. My family had two TV sets, one large (maybe 25 inches) RCA color console, and one small Zenith B&W. My older siblings got to watch The Beatles on the large console, whereas I was relegated to the small set in the den. This was inherently unfair, and stupid, because Scarecrow was in color, whereas Ed Sullivan was not. **

* That's the name as I remember it, but if you Google it, you might find alternate names. One great thing about it, which I didn't appreciate then, was that it starred Danger Man, Patrick McGoohan!

** Many believe that it was this terrible injustice that led me to become an outlaw on Cruise Critic 59 years later.

Thanks for sharing the story.

We watched them on a small TV.

Black and while. 

My parents thought their hair was long.  

I think I was the only one who liked them at the time.

Fast forward to 1991.  We had moved to North Texas.  My parents visited.  My children were five and nine respectively. I was driving the family to a restaurant and a Beatles song was playing on the radio and my parents explained to our children, their grandchildren, how special The Beatles were.   I will never forget that.

My brother five years older than myself was more of an Elvis Presley fan.  Me, no way as Elvis was way before my time.  LOL but true.

The Beatles are like Mozart and Beethoven IMHO.  Some will disagree but their talent is amazing.  

Keith

• Like 3

My dad was extremely conservative.

Upon seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show with their long hair he immediately labeled them as communists and he never wavered from that.

As we say here in Alabama, he was a piece of work!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, welcome back, and take all the time you need, to feel better soon!

• Like 3

This guy got it wrong about The Beatles.

I guess he's not alone in underestimating the impact of some events.

Some laughed at the telephone.

IBM thought the number of Personal Computers sold would be relatively small.

All You Need Is Love.

Keith

329184300_707906334110703_7697217911575883299_n.thumb.jpg.21facd2fcfc9221f84add29651ac6398.jpg

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This guy got it wrong about The Beatles.

I guess he's not alone in underestimating the impact of some events.

Some laughed at the telephone.

IBM thought the number of Personal Computers sold would be relatively small.

All You Need Is Love.

Keith

329184300_707906334110703_7697217911575883299_n.thumb.jpg.21facd2fcfc9221f84add29651ac6398.jpg

Btw, today happens to be the 59th anniversary of the publication of that article.  And I don't believe in coincidences.

• Like 2

I think many of us enjoyed the performances of Naki Ataman on our Crystal cruises.  This is from the HAL forum with his views of the recent earthquakes.

17 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I know many of us were horrified and heartbroken by the news of the devastation caused by the earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria.  Yes, it was earthquakes not earthquake and aftershock.  

Some of you have had the pleasure of seeing Naki Ataman perform on BHBs and other cruise lines.  He posted the following on his FB page 19 hours ago.  His post has some amazing information about the earthquakes and the recuse efforts.  It is with his permission that I'm reposting his words here.

Dear friends…as we reach the end of the rescue efforts of this devastating earthquake, I would like to give you some insight as to how bad this earthquake was and some related interesting but frightening information.
According to seismologist Professor Dr. Cenk Yaltırak, there were 2 distinct earthquakes that took place within a short period of 9 hours with over 7 force (7.6 & 7.7)…evidently this has not happened anywhere in the world before. The 2 distinct earthquakes happened in a distance of 30 Kilometers from one another and they took place only 7 Km below the earth. The closest to the earth surface the more devastating an earthquake becomes. Most earthquakes will shake between 30 to 40 seconds and that will cause a lot of damage. These 2 earthquakes shook for a total of 103 seconds, and this length is also a first. The total destruction zone is 464 Km (288 Miles) wide, in other words the distance from New York to Washington D.C. It devastated 10 cities.
In Türkiye alone, it was felt for 885 Km North to South and 1340 km West to East. The basic reason why this earthquake was so devastating is due to its closeness to the earth surface and how long it lasted. Evidently an earthquake with a force of 8 equals to an Atomic bomb of 60 megatons. In combination, these two earthquakes released about 120 megatons of force…currently the biggest payload of an Atomic warhead is 2 megatons…during WWII the Atomic bomb released on Nagasaki, Japan was 1.2 megatons. In other words, with these 2 earthquakes back to back, we have suffered an enormously big earthquake and devastation that has now been recorded in history.
Italy’s president of the National institute of Geophysics and Volcanology said: ‘’In 30-40 seconds Türkiye moved 3 meters towards the Arabian Peninsula’’.
The latests death count has surpassed 25.000 and the injured count is way over 85.000.
Amazingly 71 different countries sent rescue teams and they all did an incredible job of rescuing babies, children, elderly citizens and even pets…rescuing pets also warmed my heart…there were many miracles that took place. All rescue teams, domestic and foreign, used specially trained dogs in their rescue efforts…dogs are amazing and also deserve our gratitude.
All in all, this is a great tragedy and along with all the other people, I also pray this doesn’t happen again here or in any other part of the world. Thank you, thank you and thank you for all your loving messages and to all the nations that came to the rescue ❤️…it’s too bad it takes such disasters to bring nations and people together. No matter what country we come from, we are all human beings ❤️...there's no need for wars and hatred...we need humanity and love ❤
I love you all for your concern and loving messages ❤

Lenda

Roy

• Like 6