A little Martini action

PTC DAWG

Here are a few thoughts to ponder here for fun,

Are you a Gin or Vodka Martini person?  You must choose a side!

What is your favorite Gin for a Martini?  or What is your favorite Vodka for a Martini?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Bonus question- what brand Gin or Vodka would you choose if just limited to Celebrity standard inventory on their ships?

26 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm not really a Martini person, but I wanted to say that the best ones I ever had were on a X TA cruise. They’re called 3G Martinis, made with Gin. Looking forward to having one again someday soon!

Edited by C-Dragons

I am not really a Martini person, but on a TA on Solstice many years ago, the bartender asked what drinks I liked . . . basic limitation would be nothing too sweet . . . Hence a love of Raspberry Lemonade Martini with a little extra lemon.  Definitely made with vodka.

I am a Gin Martini person.

I like Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, and Tanqueray 10 if they have these on board too.

Beefeaters Gin will be good for me most times on board or in a restaurant. A very good but inexpensive all around gin.

A local favorite for me is Bluecoat American Dry Gin.  Made in Philadelphia.  Try it you'll like it!

I enjoy a nice Gin and Tonic-  but Beefeaters will always do for me there. I have recently discovered Fever-Tree premium tonic water.

I prefer a Vodka Martini, Belvedere or Ciroc, with a splash of Vermouth. Now here is where it will get very unappealing for most, if not all of you. I have developed a "Bluefish Martini" which strictly pertains to the olives, if that is your garnish of choice. A specialty martini not drank all the time.

Remove pimento from two queen olives. Stuff one olive, fully, with fresh Danish bleu cheese. Stuff the second olive with a whole  anchovy folded in half and not rinsed. I put the olives in an empty martini glass and slowly pour the chilled liquid over them. You will notice a small oil slick blending with the liquor, as well as some residual from the bleu cheese. If you like a dirty martini, this is the ultimate. You might think that this would compromise the taste of your favorite Gin or Vodka. It does not. By the way, there will be about one quarter to one half inch of anchovy outside the olive. A fish tail, if you will. Hence, the "Bluefish Martini".  

Okay, I know everyone has been squirming in their seats, yelling "yuk" several times, making faces and calling me gross and disgusting. I get that a lot. It comes with anything new and daring. But if you like olives, bleu cheese and anchovies, give it a try. You won't even have to hold your nose. As you can tell, I love bleu cheese and anchovies. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I prefer a Vodka Martini, Belvedere or Ciroc, with a splash of Vermouth. Now here is where it will get very unappealing for most, if not all of you. I have developed a "Bluefish Martini" which strictly pertains to the olives, if that is your garnish of choice. A specialty martini not drank all the time.

Remove pimento from two queen olives. Stuff one olive, fully, with fresh Danish bleu cheese. Stuff the second olive with a whole  anchovy folded in half and not rinsed. I put the olives in an empty martini glass and slowly pour the chilled liquid over them. You will notice a small oil slick blending with the liquor, as well as some residual from the bleu cheese. If you like a dirty martini, this is the ultimate. You might think that this would compromise the taste of your favorite Gin or Vodka. It does not. By the way, there will be about one quarter to one half inch of anchovy outside the olive. A fish tail, if you will. Hence, the "Bluefish Martini".  

Okay, I know everyone has been squirming in their seats, yelling "yuk" several times, making faces and calling me gross and disgusting. I get that a lot. It comes with anything new and daring. But if you like olives, bleu cheese and anchovies, give it a try. You won't even have to hold your nose. As you can tell, I love bleu cheese and anchovies. 

I have had blue cheese stuffed olives..I like’em. I’ll try your tweak..

Edited by PTC DAWG

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

What is your favorite Gin for a Martini?  or What is your favorite Vodka for a Martini?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Bonus question- what brand Gin or Vodka would you choose if just limited to Celebrity standard inventory on their ships?

For a Martini, I am anally pedantic: Gin. Probably Hendricks. Dry. I will almost walk away from a bar if I order a dry martini and the bartender asks Gin or Vodka.I will on occasion have a flavored vodka drink, but it's not a martini.

Flame away! 🍸

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am a Gin Martini person.

I like Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, and Tanqueray 10 if they have these on board too.

Beefeaters Gin will be good for me most times on board or in a restaurant. A very good but inexpensive all around gin.

A local favorite for me is Bluecoat American Dry Gin.  Made in Philadelphia.  Try it you'll like it!

I enjoy a nice Gin and Tonic-  but Beefeaters will always do for me there. I have recently discovered Fever-Tree premium tonic water.

Tanqueray 10 and Bombay Sapphire are 2 favourites for me, and I prefer my martinis on the wet side. (And kudos to any bartender who asks my preference because many don’t).

I also like to play around with the vermouth and switch out Noilly Prat (which I consider the standard) for something else like Lillet Blanc or Cocchi Americano. I’ve just bought some Martini Ambrato but yet to try it.

Another favourite for me is a “perfect” martini, with equal parts dry and sweet vermouth.

Lemon or olive garnish is fine, but if olives it must be 3. For a dirty martini the gin doesn’t really matter since the brine will dominate.

I’m also partial to a Vesper Martini (based on the Bond drink), but at 3 parts gin and 1 part vodka before you add the vermouth it’s rather strong!

Good responses.  I have been mildly disappointed at the Martini Bar on Celebrity ships as the menu seems to be stacked in favor of Vodka Martinis over Gin Martinis.  My wife will not drink Gin and definitely loves most Vodka Martinis if you can still call them that- things like Cosmos and Lemon Drops.  I tell her that traditional Gin Martinis are for purists.  She tells me that gents prefer Gin and ladies prefer Vodka.  Does she speak the truth?

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Good responses.  I have been mildly disappointed at the Martini Bar on Celebrity ships as the menu seems to be stacked in favor of Vodka Martinis over Gin Martinis.  My wife will not drink Gin and definitely loves most Vodka Martinis if you can still call them that- things like Cosmos and Lemon Drops.  I tell her that traditional Gin Martinis are for purists.  She tells me that gents prefer Gin and ladies prefer Vodka.  Does she speak the truth?

Can't speak for the gents (DH doesn’t like either one) but I prefer Gin.

I also prefer my Macallan neat. 😋

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Another female here . . .  as I replied earlier I, too, prefer Vodka.  Could be because gin makes me think I'm chewing on a pine needle🙄

21 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have had blue cheese stuffed olives..I like’em. I’ll try your tweak..

I love blue cheese especially a variety that is not around any more called "roaring forties". A close runner up is St

Agur which I find at my local grocery. GG vodka is still my preference for martinis. 

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Not only don't I like gin, I can't stand olives. So... Yeah, "traditional" ones are a no-go for me pretty much all around.

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I love gin martinis, vodka does not a martini make in my book...