More Bad News for the cruise lines.

Hlitner

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Delta is setting the example of what a private business can and will do.   Don't wear mask, you can't fly and will be put on their naughty no more fly list.    Wear a mask with a valve ( not acceptable ), not necessarily agree with that one, but their consistency and willingness to enforce including return to airport to kick rule breaks off earns my respect.

A cruise line that is equally consistent in enforcement would be one that would earn my respect and business.     I could see this as must for all passengers

Vaccine or Antibody positive test upon embarkation, no exceptions, let them throw their temper tantrums and be shamed on social media, LOL

Let me know when I can sign up for their first cruise!

I have no issue following the cruise lines rules but in return expect the lines not to endanger me or my family.  Hurtigruten conjures up a completely fanciful story about the 4 sick crew members they ordered into isolation not showing COVID symptoms when they were actually positive along with 32 others.  They let the passengers leave the boat and are now trying to track them down.  A responsible cruise line would have kept them onboard until they knew what they were dealing with instead of letting exposed passengers in to the community. 

Meanwhile, the Paul Gauguin is quarantining passengers onboard until everyone is checked.  

2 hours ago, FredT said:

ESPECIALLY on the "left coast"!  😁    

(And before anyone takes offense, joke....  this was meant as a JOKE!!!!!!!)

None taken.  Modern California and its dominate progressive system does not really hold personal accountability and responsibility in too high a regard.  I miss the days where true liberal thought was welcome here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I can help with one more. All cruise lines are about to go bankrupt and your FCCs will all become worthless on Dec 31, 2021.

How many lives should be sacrificed to save FCCs? My answer is none.  What's yours? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I can help with one more. All cruise lines are about to go bankrupt and your FCCs will all become worthless on Dec 31, 2021.

I was just posting the ones I could think of that had to do with vaccines. But to add to yours, all moneys owed to you by the cruise lines will vanish with the bankruptcies. That went along with the cruise lines know they are about to go bankrupt so you will never see your money back (and that one continued even as passengers started to get their money back.)

It is possible that some of the cruise lines could go bankrupt and that FCC’s could become worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I have no issue following the cruise lines rules but in return expect the lines not to endanger me or my family.  Hurtigruten conjures up a completely fanciful story about the 4 sick crew members they ordered into isolation not showing COVID symptoms when they were actually positive along with 32 others.  They let the passengers leave the boat and are now trying to track them down.  A responsible cruise line would have kept them onboard until they knew what they were dealing with instead of letting exposed passengers in to the community. 

Meanwhile, the Paul Gauguin is quarantining passengers onboard until everyone is checked.  

We've sailed on Hurtigruten twice and had another one that canceled in March. We just adored everything about them but they've truly disappointed me. I'll wait to hear the 'rest of the story' but won't count on much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

But to add to yours, all moneys owed to you by the cruise lines will vanish with the bankruptcies.

I haven't seen that but I'm pretty sure we would be classified as "unsecured creditors" and would be behind the "secured" ones. And from what I've read here, if there's no cruising through next year .there would be bankruptcies,

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

There has never been a successful vaccine. (I guess that is why we still live in fear of polio, small pox, measles, etc.)

You must have misread people's comments or there is some serious misunderstanding out there😳. There has never been a successful coronavirus vaccine.

• Like 2

There has never been a successful vaccine. (I guess that is why we still live in fear of polio, small pox, measles, etc.)

If someone here really said that, it should have been easy to disregard with basic critical thinking skills.

All of the reported successful stage 2 trials only mean the company's stock will go up with insiders making millions.

Do you actually doubt that last part is happening?

There will be tremendous political pressure to approve a vaccine without knowing what side effects might show up, so one would be wise not to get the shot.

Do you actually doubt there is tremendous political pressure to rush a vaccine to market? 

Even 50% would be considered a successful vaccine, so most especially considering all who will refuse to take it will not be safe.

I'm not able to parse this one to figure out your point.

Vaccines will do no good because the anti-bodies do not remain with this virus.

This is straight from certain segments of the media, but yes, we understand more about t-cell immunity now.

If I think about it longer, I'm sure I can come up with more that I have seen posted on these boards.

Which brings me to my main question, why the preoccupation with the 'meta' analysis of what people are saying on 'these boards'? Just put the people who are annoying you on Ignore, and be the conversation you want to see.

Some (smaller) cruise lines already have gone bankrupt. The bigger ones are bleeding tremendous amounts of money every month with no revenue. This isn't doomer thinking, it's just math. 

Not saying they wouldn't end up re-organizing, or that cruising is over forever, but yeah, this isn't a wildly unlikely scenario. 

Edited by AdoraBelle

22 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Nah!   Do you really think they will all make it to Dec 31, 2021?  🙂  I could tell you that we have already gone through two cruise line bankruptcies (when they had our money) and you would probably doubt it.  But you could check out Regency (not Regent) Cruise Lines and Renaissance Cruise Lines...both long gone.   

CCL, RCI and Norwegian Holdings have all claimed that they have sufficient cash to get them through 2020.  No cruise line has claimed to have enough cash to get through 2021 unless they are allowed to significantly restart operations.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Nah!   Do you really think they will all make it to Dec 31, 2021?  🙂  ...

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

CCL, RCI and Norwegian Holdings have all claimed that they have sufficient cash to get them through 2020.  No cruise line has claimed to have enough cash to get through 2021 unless they are allowed to significantly restart operations.

Hank

Of course, any thinking management team looks ahead and is unlikely to want to spend down to the last dollar before filing for reorganization -  which filing will stop the debt service drain of assets.  Existing management is most likely going to want to keep their place (and salaries) by being named debtor in possession.  So they will want to still have a substantial war chest at such time as they decide to start insolvency proceedings.

They will want to preserve the hard assets: the ships they will need to get ultimately get back in business, so they  will not risk exhausting, or even coming near, exhausting that cash by continuing to pay debt service without having in sight a prompt return to revenue producing operation.

38 minutes ago, clo said:

Except for Tahiti, have the other cases been German and Norwegian lines?

I guess I should rephrase. Has every ship that's sailed had an outbreak?

Edited by clo

2 hours ago, clo said:

I guess I should rephrase. Has every ship that's sailed had an outbreak?

Cruising starting when, I can assume that the SARs-COV-2 is now so widespread that gather any few hundred to a few thousand people together right now and put them in close quarters and your chances are very high of a super-spreader event Diamond Princess like. 

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The Seadream quarantine is because a passenger was on an earlier tested previous cruise which suggests a concern than he/she might have spread the virus to a crew member.  So it's not just your cruise you have to worry about but preceding cruises too. 

With the exception of torpedoes nothing ends a cruise faster than COVID-19. 

Edited by K32682

On 8/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, ontheweb said:

I wish that were true, but it seems that there are many on these boards that just love to say "I told you so" every time something goes wrong.

It is possible to hope things go well while accepting the reality that its very likely they will not go well. Florida re-opened early, so while it's unfortunate, it's not surprising that it did not go well. These cruise lines re-opened early, again, unfortunate, but not surprising that this isn't going well. I wasn't a "no cruise until a vaccine" person, but having the worst case scenarios confirmed is turning me into a believer. 

• Like 1

More on Hurtigruten.  From bad to worse

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/norway-cruise-ship-43-passengers-coronavirus/

The number of passengers on a Norwegian cruise ship who have tested positive for the coronavirus has reached 43, authorities said Tuesday. The

outbreak on the MS Roald Amundsen raised new questions about safety on cruise ships during the pandemic even as the industry is pressing to resume sailings after shutting down in March.

The city of Trondheim reported the two new cases - a man in his 70s with light symptoms and a child under age 10 with no symptoms - saying both had been passengers on the ship. They were not identified.

But since the cruise line often acts like a local ferry, traveling from port to port along Norway's west coast, some passengers disembarked along the route and may have spread the virus to local communities.

A total of 69 municipalities in Norway could have been affected, Norwegian news agency NTB reported on Monday.

Is there anywhere in the world that would having read this allow a megaship loaded with passengers land in its port? 

Edited by K32682

37 minutes ago, K32682 said:

More on Hurtigruten.  From bad to worse

Please note that NOT all nformation in this article is correct.

"But since the cruise line often acts like a local ferry, traveling from port to port along Norway's west coast, some passengers disembarked along the route and may have spread the virus to local communities."

MS Roald Amundsen is an expedition ship only and has not acted as a local ferry  - people did not disembark along the route! She did sail expedition cruise from Tromsø to Svalbard, and did not stop at any ports in Norway or Svalbard. Still bad that so many people got infected and after disembarkation travelled to their homes.

Hurtigruten has ships acting like a ferry service  -  currently seven ships at the Coastal Voyage service from Bergen to Kirkenes. No problems with Covid-19 on those ships.

Here is a link to an article Ten reasons the COVID-19 outbreak aboard the Hurtigruten cruise ship Roald Amundsen is controversial

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

MS Roald Amundsen is an expedition ship only and has not acted as a local ferry  - people did not disembark along the route! She did sail expedition cruise from Tromsø to Svalbard, and did not stop at any ports in Norway or Svalbard.

Check your own link.  Reason 8

While the Roald Amundsen did not make any port stops in Svalbard during its two voyages, it did pick up two women brought to the ship by speedboat from Longyearbyen and drop them off several hours later at a cabin on the west coast of Spitsbergen, in violation of health regulations. The two women were in contact two days later with a sailboat carrying ten people that reached Longyearbyen the following day, potentially putting both the sailboat occupants and people in town at risk in addition to the women themselves due to the company’s suppression of information. [/QUOTE}