Carnival update

Bin man

14 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I grew up not far from there. Not a million miles away from the marvellously named (and neighbouring) Pratt's Bottom and Badgers Mount...

During lockdown we have been doing Zoom quizzes with my daughter's inlaw's family.  I did silly place names and it was hilarious.  I just googled 'silly place name questions' then picked ones here and there.  I changed some to multiple choice.  A bit adult though 🤣

Just a thought!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Brigus is still used but only rarely, not really heard Sorby used, but it can be either (Sow) erby as in a pig, or  (Sew) erby as in sewing, the latter is more common, although which one the locals prefer I am not sure.

I often have a smile to myself when on the way back from Sheffield and the stations are announced. We get

Wombwell pronounced Wooomwell and Elsecar pronounced Elllsaycaaar. Locally though Cudworth is pronounced Cuduff and Deepcar pronounced Derka. I'm not making fun just musing over our country's different local dialects. Absolutely fascinating. 

Avril 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I grew up not far from there. Not a million miles away from the marvellously named (and neighbouring) Pratt's Bottom and Badgers Mount...

Is that near Loose Chippings? 😂

Avril 

• Haha 1

It's the Welsh place names that confuse the heck out of me. I had a really embarrassing moment one time when we were touring Wales.  We were on our way to Porthmadog  and had to ask for directions. The chap looked at me odd for a minute and so I pointed to the map. "Oh, you mean Porthmadog"  (Portmadoc) he said barely concealing his smirk.😶 I was pronouncing it as it looked. Kept my mouth closed after that and let Frank do the talking.🙊There's a first time for everything.😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's the Welsh place names that confuse the heck out of me. I had a really embarrassing moment one time when we were touring Wales.  We were on our way to Porthmadog  and had to ask for directions. The chap looked at me odd for a minute and so I pointed to the map. "Oh, you mean Porthmadog"  (Portmadoc) he said barely concealing his smirk.😶 I was pronouncing it as it looked. Kept my mouth closed after that and let Frank do the talking.🙊There's a first time for everything.😆

Avril 

I had that with Port Talbot... Apparently its Patalbutt...

Andy 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

No-one but the Welsh can be expected to get some of their place names right. I mean, Bwlchyllyn and Llanystumdwy for instance 🤔😱😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

During lockdown we have been doing Zoom quizzes with my daughter's inlaw's family.  I did silly place names and it was hilarious.  I just googled 'silly place name questions' then picked ones here and there.  I changed some to multiple choice.  A bit adult though 🤣

Just a thought!

That sounds  like a really good topic for a quiz!!

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Just a thought!

A few miles from where I live we have villages called WigWig & Willey. 

Edited by Snow Hill

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Yorkshire has a Wetwang,  a Slack Bottom and a Crackpot, and before some joker asks (you know who you are) I'm neither of them.😛😂😂

Avril 

Come on now... you know, I know...we all know...

They wont be able to resist it!!!!!😙🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Come on now... you know, I know...we all know...

They wont be able to resist it!!!!!😙🤣🤣🤣

I know, I leave myself open to it every time, but I have faith and hope that maybe just once ........ sigh 

Avril

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Do any of our Yorkshire contingent know if Sowerby Bridge is still pronounced "Sorby" Bridge, as my mother always called it, along with Brighouse ("Brigus")?

I used to work with a chap from there, always called it "Sorby" and corrected anybody who didn't pronounce it the same way.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, majortom10 said:

We live in Stone but for me being a Stokie its scone as in Stone but wife who is from Stafford 15 miles down the road from Stoke she calls them scone as in gone.......nothing as funny as folk. 

We live in Haughton near to Stafford but originally from Stoke, same here for Scone.