Carnival update

Bin man

At least there are drugs against malaria and they are doing something to the mossies as well.  This flaming virus has nothing to treat it at all.  I nearly died of measles when I was 5.  Doc gave me something called M&B which was the only thing at the time.

We have to be careful about playing this virus down and dismissing it too readily as, the truth is, we don't know what the long term effect  is going to be. 

On the other hand, it seems we need to learn to live with it for a while at least or we could all be locked down indefinitely. 

My view is, we do our best, try not to put ourselves at unnecessary risk but try to enjoy what we have. 

Andy 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

At least there are drugs against malaria and they are doing something to the mossies as well.  This flaming virus has nothing to treat it at all.  I nearly died of measles when I was 5.  Doc gave me something called M&B which was the only thing at the time.

That’s not right. There are now two drugs, one proven to reduce risk of going onto mechanical ventilation by marginally speeding up recovery and the other, proven to reduce the risk of dying amongst the seriously ill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

That’s not right. There are now two drugs, one proven to reduce risk of going onto mechanical ventilation by marginally speeding up recovery and the other, proven to reduce the risk of dying amongst the seriously ill.

Yes agree, but that's right at the last bit of the persons fight.  There is nothing before that.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

We have to be careful about playing this virus down and dismissing it too readily as, the truth is, we don't know what the long term effect  is going to be. 

On the other hand, it seems we need to learn to live with it for a while at least or we could all be locked down indefinitely. 

My view is, we do our best, try not to put ourselves at unnecessary risk but try to enjoy what we have. 

Andy 

+1.

Very well said Andy.

Graham.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Not in your lifetime maybe, but in general. The biggest  I can think of 

straightaway is penicillin. Not the problem,  but the cure of many deadly infections.

Avril 

I'm allergic to penicillin.☹️

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

From the BBC news site today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53676702

😟

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We have stayed there 3 times for a night each time and always enjoyed it plus the food and ales are excellent.

Have you been to Betty's?

Only once to the main shop but a few times at the botanical gardens as that is where we visit in Harrogate.

This may be controversial although it is nice, they are not the best cakes you can get.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happy v said:

Only once to the main shop but a few times at the botanical gardens as that is where we visit in Harrogate.

This may be controversial although it is nice, they are not the best cakes you can get.

The best afternoon tea we had was at the London Ritz.

We stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights 6 years ago for our 33rd wedding anniversary.

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Yes very localised. According to WHO it is present in 92 countries and 3.4 billion people are at risk. Only 1.1 billion are at high risk. 🤔

I'm not underplaying the perils of malaria, but it is localised in the true sense of the word. The world as we know it has almost come to a stop due to this current pandemic and I fear that too many people are underplaying the risks. My attitude is, stuff cruising, I can take it or leave it. But I would like to see children singing together again, and people of all ages/generations getting together socially and enjoying each other's company without restrictions. The simple pleasures of life.  I wonder when that will be possible again?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree, but that's right at the last bit of the persons fight.  There is nothing before that.

I thought for the latest one, which is supposed to help you absorb oxygen better, it was hoped it might possibly be able to be used at home prior to any hospitalisation, although it was still only at the early stage of testing.

2 hours ago, Bin man said:

I am always amazed how the original board gets changed from a carnival announcement to tea at the Ritz  

I think Carnival will stop cruises for the rest of this year and maybe next spring too.

Graham.

9 hours ago, happy v said:

That's where we used to go - Harlow Carr. Lovely gardens, agree with you about Betty's.

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The best afternoon tea we had was at the London Ritz.

We stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights 6 years ago for our 33rd wedding anniversary.

One of the worst I have had is on Cunard. Scones with no flavour. A few months ago Cunard posted the recipe in one of their newsletters. So bland, but the Americans love them. M&S is terrible too. One of the best I had was at Lainston House. It's near Winchester so if you can ever come to Southampton to cruise again you could try it but book in advance. Sometimes the best ones are to be found in a local indie cafe, with fresh locally made bread, home made cakes/ patisserie and of course scones. 

Now cream or jam first anyone?

Cathy

• Thanks 1

Agree with you about Lainston House, lovely tea there, plus a glass of champagne if you wish.  We had my elder daughter's wedding reception there - a day near the end of November so it was decorated for Christmas, a magical day!

41 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

One of the worst I have had is on Cunard. Scones with no flavour. A few months ago Cunard posted the recipe in one of their newsletters. So bland, but the Americans love them. M&S is terrible too. One of the best I had was at Lainston House. It's near Winchester so if you can ever come to Southampton to cruise again you could try it but book in advance. Sometimes the best ones are to be found in a local indie cafe, with fresh locally made bread, home made cakes/ patisserie and of course scones. 

Now cream or jam first anyone?

Cathy

Cream first of course Cathy, I'm not a weirdo...😊 

We had a fairly poor experience at Lainston House on my birthday last year. 

They had a large shooting party in, so service was poor and the food was just about average, we have had better on P&O... 

We enjoyed seeing the birds of prey though. 

Andy 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That will be why Leeds cases are rising sharply again and are on the watch list for local lockdown, and then they wonder why!!!  Complacency, that's why.

Avril 

The exact area of Leeds where I bought my sons shirts has now been confirmed as a COVID-19 hotspot. It's not in the least bit surprising considering what I saw and thank goodness I only had to be there briefly.

• Like 2