Construction pictures?

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

Hello Sir PMP,

With the Davits, I mean the Lifeboat lowering and stowing mechanism.

On the MS Rotterdam picture, they look a different type, but very difficult to see, especially if you don’t know the manufacturer ( example is Viking). 

However, different Davits may alter the overhang of the lifeboats and the promenade-deck width.

Thanks, I was hoping that the promenade would be little wider.

19 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Rotterdam (née Ryndam) will be an almost identical triplet to Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam. Other than the official change in name don’t expect many other changes, if any. 

I hope there will be some changes to the art on board Rotterdam VII as compared to Nieuw Statendam.  The design of the Ocean Bar also needs tweaking so that the seating at the Bar is not out in the passageway.  Really, in my opinion, that entire Lounge needs to be re-designed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope there will be some changes to the art on board Rotterdam VII as compared to Nieuw Statendam.  The design of the Ocean Bar also needs tweaking so that the seating at the Bar is not out in the passageway.  Really, in my opinion, that entire Lounge needs to be re-designed.  

Sorry to say but if they didn't make changes to the Ocean Bar for Nieuw Statendam, then I doubt we will see any for Rotterdam.  I would expect the music themed artwork to continue for Rotterdam and don't anticipate much if any artwork to be transferred from the former Rotterdam.

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Sorry to say but if they didn't make changes to the Ocean Bar for Nieuw Statendam, then I doubt we will see any for Rotterdam.  I would expect the music themed artwork to continue for Rotterdam and don't anticipate much if any artwork to be transferred from the former Rotterdam.

When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam, a couple who have become friends had also sailed on Koningsdam.  They spotted some minor changes in the interior design, specifically in the Billboard on Board area.  I remain hopeful that the Ocean Bar design will be altered to make the entire lounge more "guest friendly" than I feel it now is.  

Who knows about the decor theme, if there is one, and the art work from Rotterdam VI as well as the Amsterdam?    

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam, a couple who have become friends had also sailed on Koningsdam.  They spotted some minor changes in the interior design, specifically in the Billboard on Board area.  I remain hopeful that the Ocean Bar design will be altered to make the entire lounge more "guest friendly" than I feel it now is.  

Who knows about the decor theme, if there is one, and the art work from Rotterdam VI as well as the Amsterdam?    

The R'dam  and A'dam were sold with all the art included..

22 hours ago, Himself said:

That ight mean this ship might get a decent Promenade Deck. I bet the deck chairs will not come back.

It most likely means the promenade deck will be even smaller.  The newer davits are telescoping ones, so the boats will merely hang further inboard than before.  The days of the wide promenade deck, with the boats above and inboard in the gravity davits is long gone.  The telescoping davit gives one more deck of balcony cabins, instead of a deck of "obstructed view", so more revenue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Agreed.  Ocean Bar on the K doesn't have the same gracious, open feel as on the Vista and Signature ships, surrounding the top of the atrium. So strange to me that they would put Guest Services in that space. But I also really missed the lovely, traditionally nautical Explorers Lounge.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It most likely means the promenade deck will be even smaller.  The newer davits are telescoping ones, so the boats will merely hang further inboard than before.  The days of the wide promenade deck, with the boats above and inboard in the gravity davits is long gone.  The telescoping davit gives one more deck of balcony cabins, instead of a deck of "obstructed view", so more revenue.

Sad to see this. Thankfully some deluxe/luxury ships are still being built with full or partial promenade decks. The Spirit of Discovery/Adventure the Regent Explorer come to mind. From the renderings it appears Cunard will be using Koningsdam design which means no traditional promenade deck for their new build.  

Could be the end of the Promenade deck, which I think Carnival Corp wants.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks, so I was not seeing ghosts 🙃

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sad but true, it's all about the bottom line.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I wonder if this telescoping design does not lead to more mechanical complexity in placing the lifeboats/tenders in their proper position.  What powers the "telescoping" mechanism?  

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder if this telescoping design does not lead to more mechanical complexity in placing the lifeboats/tenders in their proper position.  What powers the "telescoping" mechanism?  

No.  The telescoping is done by hydraulics.  There is an accumulator that stores hydraulic fluid under high pressure, and when the valve is moved to extend the davit, this pressure operates the hydraulic cylinder.  All boat launching systems must be capable of launching the boats without any power available on the ship.  If there is power available, a pump will recharge the accumulator, if there is no power, then you get one operation, which is all you need to get off the ship.  There is also a hand pump that will slowly refill the accumulator if needed.  It is no more mechanically complex than the old gravity davits that they replaced.  The only boats that really need to be in fixed davits (very limited to no retracting) are the mega boats on the Oasis class ships, due to their size and weight.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No.  The telescoping is done by hydraulics.  There is an accumulator that stores hydraulic fluid under high pressure, and when the valve is moved to extend the davit, this pressure operates the hydraulic cylinder.  All boat launching systems must be capable of launching the boats without any power available on the ship.  If there is power available, a pump will recharge the accumulator, if there is no power, then you get one operation, which is all you need to get off the ship.  There is also a hand pump that will slowly refill the accumulator if needed.  It is no more mechanically complex than the old gravity davits that they replaced.  The only boats that really need to be in fixed davits (very limited to no retracting) are the mega boats on the Oasis class ships, due to their size and weight.

Thanks for your response.  I understand what you have said.

I recall seeing tanks of compressed gas that were located at the lifeboat stations.  It was my understanding that such tanks were required to be used if the primary option to deploy the lifeboats could not be used.  Am I mistaken?

From your description of the use of hydraulic fluid to activate these telescoping devices causes some concern on my part.  Hydraulic fluid systems have been known to fail.  And, sometimes at the most inopportune time.  What's the back-up for that system?  

There is also a hand pump that will slowly refill the accumulator if needed.  

That would take time for such to happen.  During an emergency, with a crew under duress, it's "nice to know" that such a possibility exists, but.....  If such needed to be done, is this realistic?  

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your response.  I understand what you have said.

I recall seeing tanks of compressed gas that were located at the lifeboat stations.  It was my understanding that such tanks were required to be used if the primary option to deploy the lifeboats could not be used.  Am I mistaken?

From your description of the use of hydraulic fluid to activate these telescoping devices causes some concern on my part.  Hydraulic fluid systems have been known to fail.  And, sometimes at the most inopportune time.  What's the back-up for that system?  

That would take time for such to happen.  During an emergency, with a crew under duress, it's "nice to know" that such a possibility exists, but.....  If such needed to be done, is this realistic?  

I believe what you thought were compressed gas tanks were the hydraulic accumulators.  This is a cylindrical tank, looking much like an oxygen cylinder, that has a rubber bladder inside of it, where the bladder has some compressed nitrogen inside.  The hydraulic pump of the system pumps oil into the accumulator cylinder, compressing the nitrogen bladder from it's initial pressure of about 300psi to the system pressure of about 3000psi filling the cylinder with oil (since the nitrogen, as a gas is compressible, while the oil is not).  A valve keeps this pressure stored in the cylinder until needed to operate the davit, and then the hydraulic oil under pressure is released to the system to operate the rams that move the boat out.  There is no backup, since this is a very simple system, as far as the actual operation is concerned (disregard the pump and motor as these are not needed to deploy the boat), being simply the accumulator, a single handle operated valve (open/shut), and the hydraulic rams that move the boat/davit out.  This is tested monthly, and short of leaks (which would be visible), there is not much to fail.

Well, in an emergency, the boats are deployed (extended out over the side using this hydraulic system), when the signal for passengers to muster is made, which as planned, and in most instances, is long before the boats are needed for loading.  While some crew are herding passengers to their muster locations, perhaps to remain there for an hour or more while the emergency is dealt with, other crew are getting the boats ready for embarkation.  So, yes, it can be used, and is a slow but realistic backup method.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe what you thought were compressed gas tanks were the hydraulic accumulators.  This is a cylindrical tank, looking much like an oxygen cylinder,

I continue to learn.  That is exactly what I have seen and thought.  Thank you for your explanation!

• 1 month later...