CDC Loosens restrictions on travel.

9 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

The Far Eastern cultures are well known for ability to follow rules, and will be enjoying dining, bar hopping and vacations and a economy that bounces back better than the sorry Freedom loving western cultures who prize freedom/individualism to infect others for my selfish good.... oh well.  

Won't be cruising anytime till 2022 I think

At first I thought my colleague was crazy not to get out of Korea and back here as soon as this all started. Now he's decided to stay there indefinitely and it's looking like he wasn't so crazy after all. Although here in N.H. things are relatively good, we're keeping an eye on the returning college students and bike week. I've got 22 students in my classroom with nothing but masks and testing between us. Restaurants are upset with the distancing restrictions and pressing the governor to relax the rules. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop when the cooler weather sets in and everyone is inside all the time.

3 minutes ago, Pratique said:

At first I thought my colleague was crazy not to get out of Korea and back here as soon as this all started. Now he's decided to stay there indefinitely and it's looking like he wasn't so crazy after all. Although here in N.H. things are relatively good, we're keeping an eye on the returning college students and bike week. I've got 22 students in my classroom with nothing but masks and testing between us. Restaurants are upset with the distancing restrictions and pressing the governor to relax the rules. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop when the cooler weather sets in and everyone is inside all the time.

There was once the rush at the beginning of the year for many of my immigrant friends to think about getting their family to the US, the sad fact since March the direction for most is to get home to Taiwan, China, So Korean, Japan etc... every place but the US is now deemed safer and more sane, who'd have thought?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

. . .

9.) I notice the lady is standing outside her vehicle with a Costco cart ZIP-TIED to her door handle.  

That is all.

Love it!  😂

(Making note to self to put zip ties in car.) 😁

🤐  on what else I'd like to say. -- Seems some opinions are tolerated here and some not.  😕

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Are you kidding???

United States deaths - 179,000

South Korea deaths - 312

He's not kidding, he's playing the odds. This isn't going away anywhere until there is an effective vaccine. The CDC dropped the quarantine recommendation because it's unenforceable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

He's not kidding, he's playing the odds. This isn't going away anywhere until there is an effective vaccine. The CDC dropped the quarantine recommendation because it's unenforceable.

Odds are in vast majority’s favor - myself included.  Doesn’t mean I’m not doing what’s right and wearing mask, social distancing, washing, etc.  

You are exactly right - it’s not going ANYWHERE until vax arrives.  Lockdown to help hospital system is great but virus will always come back if people don’t follow recommendations.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Are you kidding???

United States deaths - 179,000

South Korea deaths - 312

South Korea has obviously done an amazing job contract tracing - anyone with a pulse recognizes that.  What I was trying to say is that South Korea is about to see a spike in cases much like Europe right now.  Virus going to Virus.

34 minutes ago, NuisanceLuke said:

Love it!  😂

(Making note to self to put zip ties in car.) 😁

🤐  on what else I'd like to say. -- Seems some opinions are tolerated here and some not.  😕

She deserved it as far as I’m concerned.  

24 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

South Korea has obviously done an amazing job contract tracing - anyone with a pulse recognizes that.  What I was trying to say is that South Korea is about to see a spike in cases much like Europe right now.  Virus going to Virus.

Here's the difference - a big difference...

South Korea and Europe took significant measures AS COUNTRIES to bring the virus under control for an extended period of time.

The United States has failed, as a country, to bring the virus under control.  In not accepting a national policy and leaving it to individual states, we doomed ourselves to failure!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Odds are in vast majority’s favor - myself included.  Doesn’t mean I’m not doing what’s right and wearing mask, social distancing, washing, etc. 

It occurs to me that the odds are in your favor because other people are staying home (you're welcome). If everyone was playing the odds then situation would be even worse.

While you were hanging out at Costco, I bought a ordered a TV from BB and they brought it out to the parking lot and loaded it in my truck for me. I never had to set foot in the store. Fast and easy and super convenient too.

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

Here's the difference - a big difference...

South Korea and Europe took significant measures AS COUNTRIES to bring the virus under control for an extended period of time.

The United States has failed, as a country, to bring the virus under control.  In not accepting a national policy and leaving it to individual states, we doomed ourselves to failure!

They did you are right Yogi - But it's always going to come back until there is a vaccine/herd immunity.   

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

It occurs to me that the odds are in your favor because other people are staying home (you're welcome). If everyone was playing the odds then situation would be even worse.

While you were hanging out at Costco, I bought a ordered a TV from BB and they brought it out to the parking lot and loaded it in my truck for me. I never had to set foot in the store. Fast and easy and super convenient too.

The odds are in my favor because I'm extremely healthy and 34 years old - not because of people staying holed up in their houses.  If you are below the age of 65, the odds are also in your favor.   Those 65+ need to live extremely calculated lives and be vigilant - All of this data is on WHO, CDC websites.  

Pratique I don't know what you and your part of the world experienced but it never got crazy around here.  We are wearing masks and going about our business and our Rt is at .89 for Ohio.  Furthermore, 52% of Ohio's deaths were unfortunately from long term care facilities.  This disease attacks the elderly (not even all) and we need to do our best to protect them.  The rest of us need to live our lives in a calculated manner which we are.  Do I think we should hop on cruise ships anywhere in the world right now?  Absolutely not.  I think you and I can agree on that.  

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Pratique I don't know what you and your part of the world experienced but it never got crazy around here.  

Count yourself very fortunate, unlike those of us who live in Queens, NYC, the first epicenter of the epicenter.  I can tell you I will never forget hearing the sirens of ambulance after ambulance and looking across the street to seeing men in hazmat suits removing a dead body from the basement apartment.

Whenever I read posts from someone who says, "no problem here," I cringe and am thankful that you never listened to the sounds or saw the sights that we saw!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Count yourself very fortunate, unlike those of us who live in Queens, NYC, the first epicenter of the epicenter.  I can tell you I will never forget hearing the sirens of ambulance after ambulance and looking across the street to seeing men in hazmat suits removing a dead body from the basement apartment.

Whenever I read posts from someone who says, "no problem here," I cringe and am thankful that you never listened to the sounds or saw the sights that we saw!

Being in Wyoming it is only saved by the low population density as few people wear masks in my area.  I can't imagine seeing what you have. 😬

During all this pandemic nonsense, I have visited the store only once. To be honest, I am very happy  with the way delivery services are working right now. Neither me or my wife and kids had to leave the house. I buy products and even some other staff online. There are very few products that I need to buy that wont be packed, so I dont see a reason to be wondering walking in the store looking for stuff. Its much easier to purchase it using the app on your phone  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yogimax said:

I saw a lot of New York covid19 news on UK news channels and it looked desperately sad.

Graham.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yogimax said:

I have friends in NYC and understand that you had a much different experience than most of us.   I think that is why you and I seem to lock horns on here - because we had diff experiences.   

9 hours ago, Pratique said:

I guess Ohio State students didn't get your memo.

What do you expect?  You want all colleges to be online or what?  Of course there will be cases.  

9 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I have friends in NYC and understand that you had a much different experience than most of us.   I think that is why you and I seem to lock horns on here - because we had diff experiences.   

What do you expect?  You want all colleges to be online or what?  Of course there will be cases.  

They do need to shut the large parties down - get caught, get suspended and sent home for the quarter - no refunds on tuition,  room and board and no online classes.

The Big Ten has ticked me off - no football, (which IMHO, could have been done safely), but they really haven't cracked down on the large group gatherings, so of course outbreaks will continue

49 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I'm teaching 22 adult graduate students in person and 5 remotely. I'm the classroom for 3 hours a week breathing the same air as everyone else. Masks and testing are not foolproof. We taught remotely last spring and it worked fine, and we're still doing it for some students. So yes, online is perfect because there is zero risk.

You say you are being careful but there's no reason for both you and your buddy to go into Costco to get a TV when they will bring it to the curb for you. On top of that you witnessed a woman throwing a fit about wearing a mask. This is a communicable disease. People who stay home are not spreading it, and you can in fact thank them for improving your odds.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, arby70 said:

I am totally with you on this.  Was in a Wal-Mart today and perhaps 10 to 20% wore no mask!  Another man came into a medical clinic in the same town and got belligerent about wearing a mask.  He was very nasty to the elderly woman at the entrance and rudely claimed his doctor said he didn't have to wear one.  He then proceeded to try to run people over in his electric chair to head inside.  Poor lady was flabbergasted.  This is what we must deal with in this country before we can all safely travel...need to think about others and not just ourselves.

In Maryland, it is required that you wear masks inside public buildings. Horrible what you experienced. You are absolutely right...think of others not just yourself!

20 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Is that right because their hospitals are at their “breaking point”

Stay in your home for a few years then and wait it out.  Rest of us are doing just fine.  

For that very common flippant response, there's a very clear massive economic impact if we go that path.

What that suggests is that things should just open up and force companies to operate regardless of what is going on.  Ok, companies can make a choice, fine.

But right now, at least 50% of the US population is trying to be careful about getting and spreading this virus.  Which means that if cruises open up, the first problem is that they will be facing only 50% demand for their product.  Forgive me for thinking that these business models that require +90% occupancy will not survive long running at 50%.   Same goes for any other business- if you notice that a company isn't following health guidelines by their choice, it's the individual's choice to not go to them, too- again- how many hardware stores or restaurants or furniture stores can survive on 50%, especially when there are options out there for alternatives.

We are all in this together, and to pretend that you can force businesses to lose money while half of this population "stays in your home for a few years and wait it out" is a fallacy.  

For sure, until Florida get's their act together, we will heed that suggestions and the cruise lines will miss out on our money.  And it equally sucks that other areas are having problems, because we should be travelling there to help others- but we can't without risking THEIR lives when we visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I'm teaching 22 adult graduate students in person and 5 remotely. I'm the classroom for 3 hours a week breathing the same air as everyone else. Masks and testing are not foolproof. We taught remotely last spring and it worked fine, and we're still doing it for some students. So yes, online is perfect because there is zero risk.

You say you are being careful but there's no reason for both you and your buddy to go into Costco to get a TV when they will bring it to the curb for you. On top of that you witnessed a woman throwing a fit about wearing a mask. This is a communicable disease. People who stay home are not spreading it, and you can in fact thank them for improving your odds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

For that very common flippant response, there's a very clear massive economic impact if we go that path.

What that suggests is that things should just open up and force companies to operate regardless of what is going on.  Ok, companies can make a choice, fine.

But right now, at least 50% of the US population is trying to be careful about getting and spreading this virus.  Which means that if cruises open up, the first problem is that they will be facing only 50% demand for their product.  Forgive me for thinking that these business models that require +90% occupancy will not survive long running at 50%.   Same goes for any other business- if you notice that a company isn't following health guidelines by their choice, it's the individual's choice to not go to them, too- again- how many hardware stores or restaurants or furniture stores can survive on 50%, especially when there are options out there for alternatives.

We are all in this together, and to pretend that you can force businesses to lose money while half of this population "stays in your home for a few years and wait it out" is a fallacy.  

For sure, until Florida get's their act together, we will heed that suggestions and the cruise lines will miss out on our money.  And it equally sucks that other areas are having problems, because we should be travelling there to help others- but we can't without risking THEIR lives when we visit.

I was being sarcastic - you and I are on same page my friend.  

More than 50% of the population is taking WHO, CDC advice.  I hope you aren't inferring that this is a left wing/right wing issue because that is misguided.