Cruise lines close to devastation?

4774Papa

I think one of the biggest issues that will have to be addressed before cruises resume is if a case is discovered or reported on a ship while cruising, will that ship and all persons aboard have to be quarantined for 14 days.  If that's the case, back to square one.  Very few of us can afford to be held hostage for 14 days.  

• Like 3

Just now, shof515 said:

TUI, Costa and MSC is doing very good with resuming cruises and doing cruises safety

They just recently started so they get to be the guinea pigs for the other cruise lines.   I hope they are successful but it's way to early to call that one.

• Like 1

Whine, whine, whine.

Nothing is stopping them from starting to cruise tomorrow. They just can't use US ports. If they can find places to cruise from and people want to cruise and can get to the ships, more power to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

I think one of the biggest issues that will have to be addressed before cruises resume is if a case is discovered or reported on a ship while cruising, will that ship and all persons aboard have to be quarantined for 14 days.  If that's the case, back to square one.  Very few of us can afford to be held hostage for 14 days.  

Exactly!!! The biggest concern we have is the above. If one person gets it and the other 3000 people have to quarantine in that city for two weeks we are out. You can forget us taking that expensive risky chance. No way ......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

Current protocol would be to take a test, if negative, you would be released off the ship to quarantine yourself.  I am pretty sure that is how they are doing it in Europe.  I said this in another thread, even people testing positive are being able to leave the ships now and go to a hotel to quarantine or hospital if needed.  There is not going to be any refusal to dock stuff, they can not and will not start up with that issue (IMO).

12 hours ago, roger001 said:

12 hours ago, shof515 said:

if cruises does not resume out of USA, maybe the cruise lines need to looking into expending cruising out of Europe or elsewhere. TUI, Costa and MSC is doing very good with resuming cruises and doing cruises safety

Generally agree with both of these opinions. Glad to see TUI / Costa / MSC to resume cruising recently, and thankfully their first few cruises have been safe. However if there is a case discovered (of course we don't hope to see this happen), how they handle the situation will be critical.

Other than "very few of us can afford to be held hostage for 14 days", this also affects the passengers of the next two weeks. If the sailings are often cancelled at last minute because a case is discovered on the previous cruise, it may also affect people's interest to book a cruise. Many people cannot easily reschedule their holiday.

Safety is obvious the most important, but I don't think there is a perfect solution. Cruise lines can only try their best to prevent any infected passengers embark the ship on Day 1.

18 hours ago, shof515 said:

if cruises does not resume out of USA, maybe the cruise lines need to looking into expending cruising out of Europe or elsewhere. TUI, Costa and MSC is doing very good with resuming cruises and doing cruises safety

80% or more of passenger history for may lines is US based.  We won't fly or can't afford to fly or not enough capacity to fly to Europe for cruises.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, oteixeira said:

Current protocol would be to take a test, if negative, you would be released off the ship to quarantine yourself.  I am pretty sure that is how they are doing it in Europe.  I said this in another thread, even people testing positive are being able to leave the ships now and go to a hotel to quarantine or hospital if needed.  There is not going to be any refusal to dock stuff, they can not and will not start up with that issue (IMO).

I don't think there will be a refusal to dock issue. But a positive test would still put you in a pickle. If I flew to the cruise, and get a positive test at embarkation, mid, or after cruise; I can't fly home. So now I'm literally stuck in the city where I got off. Slightly better than being stuck on the ship, but at least the people on the ship didn't have to pay for the extra days and room service food. I really don't want to get stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks, paying for 2 weeks, paying for room service food every day, and not enjoy a minute of it!

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don't think there will be a refusal to dock issue. But a positive test would still put you in a pickle. If I flew to the cruise, and get a positive test at embarkation, mid, or after cruise; I can't fly home. So now I'm literally stuck in the city where I got off. Slightly better than being stuck on the ship, but at least the people on the ship didn't have to pay for the extra days and room service food. I really don't want to get stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks, paying for 2 weeks, paying for room service food every day, and not enjoy a minute of it!

I can understand why that would be bad, but you call also do a touch free car rental, and drive home, and quarantine there.

• Like 1

We are all guessing when it come to what if someone tests positive while on a cruise. You can't rely on what is happening in Europe because the CDC and the state health depts has control of things here. No one should just let you walk off a ship after someone tests positive and hope you do the right thing. We all know that won't happen. I have no seen any of the protocols posted by any of the US based line on what is the plan if someone does test positive while on the ship. Also if you test positive while embarking do you just say you can't board and send you on your merry way?  The other question I have is that assuming there will be excursions in a bubble like Europe, what happens if you break that bubble? My guess is that that country will not want that person or persons left there. A lot of questions, but not many answers yet.

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

I can understand why that would be bad, but you call also do a touch free car rental, and drive home, and quarantine there.

But can you?   I think you would be ushered  to a quarantine location.  May be one of your choice.  But I can't see them just turning you loose.  I think you would be taken from the ship in quarantine status at that time.  I think there is way too much that just sucks at the moment...and remains without a workable solution.  

22 minutes ago, roger001 said:

But can you?   I think you would be ushered  to a quarantine location.  May be one of your choice.  But I can't see them just turning you loose.  I think you would be taken from the ship in quarantine status at that time.  I think there is way too much that just sucks at the moment...and remains without a workable solution.  

I mean, if you test positive at your home doctor office, do they usher you off to an approved quarantine location, or let you go home and trust you to quarantine?  It seems like the same answer to both for me.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I mean, if you test positive at your home doctor office, do they usher you off to an approved quarantine location, or let you go home and trust you to quarantine?  It seems like the same answer to both for me.

There's no correct answer, only speculation and opinions.  But I see those as two totally different events.   To be diagnosed contagious at you local community doctor's office and told to go home and quarantine, easy to control.  And in fact, you will probably be at home when you get your test results.    However, I just don't think any port city will allow a ship to dock with between 2000 and 4000 passengers on board, even if only one has shown to be contagious, then will allow all 2000 to 4000 others who could also be contagious now, extreme example, to just freely exit the ship.   Would they say to them to "be sure and not enter the airport or any transportation area, don't interact with any of the community, do not use any lodging facilities, just find some way to get out of our town...we trust all 2000 to 4000 of you to do this".  Don't see that happening.  Two totally different issues.  Don't have an answer, but this presents a big, big mess to be resolved before cruising resumes.....my opinion.   

4 minutes ago, roger001 said:

There's no correct answer, only speculation and opinions.  But I see those as two totally different events.   To be diagnosed contagious at you local community doctor's office and told to go home and quarantine, easy to control.  And in fact, you will probably be at home when you get your test results.    However, I just don't think any port city will allow a ship to dock with between 2000 and 4000 passengers on board, even if only one has shown to be contagious, then will allow all 2000 to 4000 others who could also be contagious now, extreme example, to just freely exit the ship.   Would they say to them to "be sure and not enter the airport or any transportation area, don't interact with any of the community, do not use any lodging facilities, just find some way to get out of our town...we trust all 2000 to 4000 of you to do this".  Don't see that happening.  Two totally different issues.  Don't have an answer, but this presents a big, big mess to be resolved before cruising resumes.....my opinion.   

They would not, they would require quick tests and let those folks who are negative to go home freely, and ask the positive folks to get a second test and if that is positive quarantine (where, I cannot tell you).  Your example would be akin to asking everyone at Walmart  with so and so who tested positive and got the call about it while shopping there to please lock down at Walmart until everyone clears the 14 day period because they may have interacted or been closer then 6 feet to this one person.  

22 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

They would not, they would require quick tests and let those folks who are negative to go home freely, and ask the positive folks to get a second test and if that is positive quarantine (where, I cannot tell you).  Your example would be akin to asking everyone at Walmart  with so and so who tested positive and got the call about it while shopping there to please lock down at Walmart until everyone clears the 14 day period because they may have interacted or been closer then 6 feet to this one person.  

Opinions and opinions.  As I said, no correct answers. Only speculation and wishful thinking.  However, no port city is going to be required to tolerate Cruise ship issues.  They are going to just say no.  But, my opinion.  Time will tell.  

11 hours ago, oteixeira said:

the only current example we have had of how this was handled in a US city was the uniworld Alaska cruise. Person received positive test result from a test at arrival airport a couple days into the cruise. Cruise was immediately cancelled. Ship returned to embarkation dock and the entire ship was required to quarantine in a local hotel. That was a very small ship which may be why they quarantined the entire ship. I wouldn’t expect them to do that with thousands of people. I would expect them to try and do contact tracing. But the contacts will be quarantined still, a negative test result does not release you from quarantine early. I am expecting, however, that with a positive result or close contact you would not be released to find your own way home. You would be bussed straight from the cruise to a hotel.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

The problem is that a negative test means not yet positive. From my understanding is that if you were exposed in the last 24 - 48 house the test  may not pick it up, especially the quick tests. So will the port cities just allow someone who was expose to walk free? Will the airlines allow you to board? Most importantly if the cruise line get this wrong by allowing a spread by letting people go on their way they will be shut down again. As most people have said here we are all just guessing because the actual protocols haven't been release. My guess is because if people see what will happen if a positive test occurs on board and the steps the lines will take to mitigate may just scare more people off.

23 minutes ago, phillyguy31 said:

The problem is that a negative test means not yet positive. From my understanding is that if you were exposed in the last 24 - 48 house the test  may not pick it up, especially the quick tests. So will the port cities just allow someone who was expose to walk free? Will the airlines allow you to board? Most importantly if the cruise line get this wrong by allowing a spread by letting people go on their way they will be shut down again. As most people have said here we are all just guessing because the actual protocols haven't been release. My guess is because if people see what will happen if a positive test occurs on board and the steps the lines will take to mitigate may just scare more people off.

First off, we all know we are just expressing our opinions, and I want to thank you all for keeping it civil and just us talking.  I appreciate that.  Let me try to touch on a couple of these:

Will airlines allow you to board:  Currently, airlines do not check your temp, or give you any test before boarding, so they would never stop you from boarding (assuming a negative test before getting off ship, hopefully positive people would be kinder and avoid the plane....but even they would not be stopped, how would the airline know?)

Will cruise lines get shut down again if it spreads:  While this sounds scary the USA (or any country for that matter) does not have a good enough contact tracing system in place to prove where the spread comes from.  A few weeks ago they said it was the big bike rally, but if you look now, that has been debunked as just news people going for a story.  Unless we all wear MSC type bracelets that track our every move, no one can know FOR SURE how exactly a new spread occurred.  

Just my .02

• Like 1

Pragmatically, until the virus is under control and well managed via vaccine, I am not interesting in purchasing a cruise with all the if's. 

Not spending hard earned $ on all manner of risks, unknowns, masks, and only drink a beverage when sitting down, only cruise line shore excursion, likely degraded food etc due to the cruise line finances, on board quarantine and impact on others and ship.

Too many other more enjoyable travel options out there.

• Like 3

Given the last behavior, which was no docking for a ship with positive cases, I don't see any plan to restart cruising that allows passengers who are sick or tested positive to go their own way.  The last hints we got from the CDC were that they would hold the cruise lines accountable for testing, quarantine, transport, etc. for any ship with cases returning to a port.  And I would expect that all port cities have to agree to re-open ports based on their hospital load and even the general case load of the area to prevent overwhelming health care with a single ship returning with 50 or more people sick.

• Like 1