Key West Votes to Limit Cruise Ship Visits

nocl

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

They are not the only ones.  When we did our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas tour, our guide tole us to use specific types of sunscreen to save the reefs and coral.  I applaud any area doing this 🙂 

Jacqui, it was in preparing for my Hawaii cruise last year that I learned about the Keys passing the same restriction. I join you in applauding any area that is taking similar steps.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I agree there is that!  But I also think so much of the activism in the Keys is to simply keep up with one's neighbors.  The Keys is truly about a laid back attitude (seldom found in the USA) where a good party or celebration trumps all :).  One of the 3 cruise line referendums was about the environment.  Put anything on a ballot in the Keys that has the word "environment" in the description and it will get lots of votes :).  But many of the voters will be too high or smashed to be able to read the word 🙂

But I do really think it is the hoards that turn off many locals.  There really is no snorkeling/diving close to town so not sure that is a big issue.  Several of the local tour companies (my favorite is Danger Cruises) do get some business from the cruise passengers and they will not be happy to see fewer cruises.   It is the silly things like the Conch Train that will take a big hit without cruises.  But you will seldom to never find a local on that Conch Train.  

Hank

On the other hand you do find tourists from one of the many hotels and resorts on the train.  It will just mean one or two running at one time, instead of the trains leaving every 10 minutes like they do no some days.

Key West has about 15,000 lodging units (hotels, RV spots, vacation rentals).  So there is plenty of tourist activity without a large number of cruise ship passengers.  On average each of the the over night tourists is considerably more valuable than a cruise ship passenger to the local economy. 

12 minutes ago, nocl said:

Key West has about 15,000 lodging units (hotels, RV spots, vacation rentals).  So there is plenty of tourist activity without a large number of cruise ship passengers.  On average each of the the over night tourists is considerably more valuable than a cruise ship passenger to the local economy. 

Many cruisers do not want to understand or admit that they are not that important to the local economy.  Consider that when we stop in KW on a cruise we might drop $50 in a local bar.  But when we vacation in KW we will drop about $500 -$600 a day between our terrific hotel and decent restaurants.   It is the same in most parts of the world.  A cruise stops in Le Havre and a passenger takes a one-day tour to Paris for which they pay a few hundred dollars.  Very little of that money goes into the pockets of Parisians.  When we stay in Paris we generally rent a nice flat and our dining out 2-3 meals a day, going to a few museums, stopping at cafes for drinks, etc.  Meanwhile, those cruise passengers have contributed to the Port of Le Havre (port fees) and a regional tour/bus company

I love to cruise and we truly love being on a ship, spending many days at sea, and getting some port time in good ports.  But our destination is the ship and the majority of our money is going to the cruise line....not the ports.  Like many here on CC I am desperate to see cruising return to what it was.  On the the other hand, I also understand that cruise ships are a low priority for many locales.  When a ship brings in disease it has become more trouble then it is worth.  For those that doubt what I say just try convincing Japan that they need cruise ships.   There are probably 100 million Japanese who blame cruise ships for all their COVID related misery.   

Please understand I love cruising and have spent far more then 1200 days on many cruise ships!  But I also understand that cruisers tend to overstate their worth to local economies.  COVID is forcing ports to deal with the question of whether hosting lots of cruise ships is in their best interests.  In many cases the answer is going to be a solid no.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

At some point we have to have a balance. We cannot keep children physically out of schools forever. We cannot sacrifice much of the economy forever. We cannot cause many, many to suffer from mental problems until the end of time.

Yes, we have to do everything in our power to mitigate the pandemic, but let us remember there is a price to be paid, and at some point a balance must be reached. We don't shut down everything for the entire winter because tens of thousands die annually from the flu.

It is important to start schools back up in a safe as possible manner. And in yellow you have a great CYA statement. School is not cruising, a non-essential activity. You want to follow science without training future scientists????? Yes, there have been setbacks, but there also have been on European cruises, yet no one has said instead of giving a framework for possibly starting cruises in the USA the CDC should have banned them forever. Yet you seem to want to stop all non-virtual schooling.

I think you have misunderstood my comment totally. I am in favor of in-classroom schooling. But in some places (such as where I live), it is simply NOT safe to do so YET.  Perhaps in other parts of the country it may be different, but here in Georgia there is no agreement from those in authority -- there is not even a state-wide mask mandate, for goodness sake. And yet children are being sent back to school in environments without any federal OR state-wide guidelines. Numerous school districts have opened AND THEN re-closed due to infection rates. 

The Georgia Association of Educators have filed suit against the state over school reopenings. All they are asking for is statewide policies to implement openings safely. Our governor, you may recall, is one who threatened to sue the city of Atlanta for passing a mask mandate, stating they were not allowed to do so! The same governor has said it is up to local districts to plan for "safe" reopenings. Meanwhile students are tweeting photos of crowded school hallways filled with students not wearing masks and certainly not "socially distanced".

The GAE President has said "Decisions by some of our leaders have led to classroom and school environments that endanger our children. As an organization of educators, that goes against the very nature of who we are and what we do for our students every day." 

So yes, I think the "CYA" statement (as you call it) in yellow is absolutely warranted and should be heeded. When infection rates drop to a safer level and when schools are PROPERLY prepared to re-start, they definitely should.

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Looks like they only want to cater to the elite rich folks in those small luxury ships that we don't have the $$$ for.........I thought they were welcoming to diverse folks?  Sounds elitist to me.....Oh well, no real loss and I hope they enjoy walling of their piece of paradise.  Not welcoming to me.  

No, they are not "walling off their piece of paradise", they are trying to preserve it.  The walls that ARE there are the surrounding ocean and limited resources.  So, thousands of people coming in and wandering, grabbing a bite to eat or a $5 T shirt are not really helping the economy there.  It's a huge strain on their infrastructure. As I say below, we make a point of avoiding the days ships are in.  Just think if you lived in a small town and 3-4,000 people came and took over almost every day for months at a time.  I would hate it and I LOVE to cruise.  Try putting the shoe on the other foot and then this might make a bit more sense to you.  I'm not trying to be sarcastic; just hoping you can look at this from a different perspective. 

3 hours ago, FredT said:

No....   With a finite land area, and a finite infrastructure, they want to MAXIMISE the income of the tourists that do visit.  If you could accommodate lets say 3000 tourists in a day, and you have a choice of 3000 cruise ship visitors (who spend about $30.00 on Key lime ice cream and trinkets) or 3000 tourists that will stay in your bed and breakfasts, eat in your restaurants, use your dive shops, rent your scooters (for 2-3 DAYS and not 2-3 hours) which would YOU do?   

PS:   We have been to Key West 3 times.  Once on a "land" vacation, twice on a cruise ship....   On the land trip we stayed 3 nights in a B&B on Duval street, ate 9 meals in local restaurants, (Blue Heaven and Kelleys were favorites) took a dive trip out to the reefs, and rented the aforementioned scooters for 2 days...  On our cruise stops we wandered Duval st, and had a QUICK lunch at a couple of (cheap) local dives.  And you wonder who the locals want?   

Fred, you hit the nail right on the head.  Key West will not suffer with not letting the big ships in; not at all.  I've been to Key West numerous times as we live up by Miami.  From a "semi-local" point of view, I always check the cruise schedules and make a point of not going when ships are in.  We spend a week at a time about 45 miles away in Marathon and drive down for the day and much prefer the relaxed atmosphere on the days when the ships aren't in.    It's a completely different experience to have time there rather than the frenetic rush off of/back on the ship on a few hour visit.  We haven't stayed in Key West for years as the accommodation prices are quite high so we stay "up the road apiece" in Marathon and just come down for the day.   We have actually been there twice on cruises (which we always feel silly doing since we can just drive there) and it's not the same at all. 

This is going on in other places in the world; as the ships get bigger, the sheer number of people streaming off of them into small villages/towns are putting a strain on them.  In Europe there has been talk (if not implementation) of limiting people.  Venice has done it and other places will undoubtedly do it too. 

Linda R.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Many cruisers do not want to understand or admit that they are not that important to the local economy.  Consider that when we stop in KW on a cruise we might drop $50 in a local bar.  But when we vacation in KW we will drop about $500 -$600 a day between our terrific hotel and decent restaurants.   It is the same in most parts of the world.  A cruise stops in Le Havre and a passenger takes a one-day tour to Paris for which they pay a few hundred dollars.  Very little of that money goes into the pockets of Parisians.  When we stay in Paris we generally rent a nice flat and our dining out 2-3 meals a day, going to a few museums, stopping at cafes for drinks, etc.  Meanwhile, those cruise passengers have contributed to the Port of Le Havre (port fees) and a regional tour/bus company

I love to cruise and we truly love being on a ship, spending many days at sea, and getting some port time in good ports.  But our destination is the ship and the majority of our money is going to the cruise line....not the ports.  Like many here on CC I am desperate to see cruising return to what it was.  On the the other hand, I also understand that cruise ships are a low priority for many locales.  When a ship brings in disease it has become more trouble then it is worth.  For those that doubt what I say just try convincing Japan that they need cruise ships.   There are probably 100 million Japanese who blame cruise ships for all their COVID related misery.   

Please understand I love cruising and have spent far more then 1200 days on many cruise ships!  But I also understand that cruisers tend to overstate their worth to local economies.  COVID is forcing ports to deal with the question of whether hosting lots of cruise ships is in their best interests.  In many cases the answer is going to be a solid no.

Hank

I agree.  In addition the cruise lines don't seem to be able to self regulate their impact on ports.  As long as the port can take another ship the cruise lines are percetly willing to cram as many people into them as they can.  The change in many of the Alaskan ports is horrid.  It used to be mostly local businesses that were unique to a town.  Now it is the same businesses as in the Caribbean, run by the same people.  Cruises come in, the money flows to the remote owners, and when the season end the shops close.  Having replaced businesses that used to serve locals all year.

After my most recent cruise there I have decided  when I visit Alaska to fly and stay away from the cruise ports except when I visit relatives who live there.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you have misunderstood my comment totally. I am in favor of in-classroom schooling. But in some places (such as where I live), it is simply NOT safe to do so YET.  Perhaps in other parts of the country it may be different, but here in Georgia there is no agreement from those in authority -- there is not even a state-wide mask mandate, for goodness sake. And yet children are being sent back to school in environments without any federal OR state-wide guidelines. Numerous school districts have opened AND THEN re-closed due to infection rates. 

The Georgia Association of Educators have filed suit against the state over school reopenings. All they are asking for is statewide policies to implement openings safely. Our governor, you may recall, is one who threatened to sue the city of Atlanta for passing a mask mandate, stating they were not allowed to do so! The same governor has said it is up to local districts to plan for "safe" reopenings. Meanwhile students are tweeting photos of crowded school hallways filled with students not wearing masks and certainly not "socially distanced".

The GAE President has said "Decisions by some of our leaders have led to classroom and school environments that endanger our children. As an organization of educators, that goes against the very nature of who we are and what we do for our students every day." 

So yes, I think the "CYA" statement (as you call it) in yellow is absolutely warranted and should be heeded. When infection rates drop to a safer level and when schools are PROPERLY prepared to re-start, they definitely should.

OK, we are in different environments, NY state and Georgia. NY state does give guidance. Half the students attend physically and half virtually each week and alternate weeks. Masks are required, but there is obviously maskless times as you cannot eat lunch or breakfast while masked.

DW and the other teachers and staff have to check in online answering a health questionnaire each morning before coming into the building.

Still it is an airborne virus, and there is nothing you can do to guarantee 100% that no one will come into the building and be contagious. Still education is so important. When done with proper guidelines it is too important to shut down entirely. 

When I thought we were more in non-agreement, I was ready to answer with it is more important than opening liquor store and gun shops. And it a lot safer than mass political rallies, especially when not wearing a mask is almost seen as a point of pride.

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Why is this happening?  At one time cruise ships carried 200 - 1200 passengers.  Now, 3000 to 6000 are on some ships with even larger vessels on the drawing boards.  200 o  "Over tourism" has become a well known term and cruise ships are the easiest target to help cure that problem.

Hank

I am fortunate to live in s Florida and have spent many weekends and mid week breaks in Key West in the past, I have to agree that in recent years the vibe has completely changed during the days when cruise ships are in.  Multiple T shirt shops and DI were not a great addition to Key West. 

I also noted that many of the Alaska ports were loosing their "specialness" on my last trip there, a big change from my earlier visits in the late 80's. when I lived on the west coast.

It's great that travel and experiencing new adventures are now so readily available, but inevitably overcrowding is going to change the experience.

Mary

• Like 2

Quote from Points Guy article below.....seems like my kind of people are no longer welcomed.  It must be great to use "environmental concerns" as an excuse to keep out certain types of people.....Modern "clean" form of discrimination, IMO.  Sorry that I enjoy seeing the scenery and buying a t-shirt.  Environmental concerns could be used anywhere to halt growth........but it seems to only be used by the elites as a legal way to segregate and clear the area of undesirables wearing t shirts.  LOL. I'm fine with Nassau and they still welcome my kind with open arms. 

The effect of the referendums, if they are allowed to stand, will be to transform Key West into a small-ship cruise destination that mostly caters to upscale vessels.

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Quote from Points Guy article below.....seems like my kind of people are no longer welcomed.  It must be great to use "environmental concerns" as an excuse to keep out certain types of people.....Modern "clean" form of discrimination, IMO.  Sorry that I enjoy seeing the scenery and buying a t-shirt.  Environmental concerns could be used anywhere to halt growth........but it seems to only be used by the elites as a legal way to segregate and clear the area of undesirables wearing t shirts.  LOL. I'm fine with Nassau and they still welcome my kind with open arms. 

The effect of the referendums, if they are allowed to stand, will be to transform Key West into a small-ship cruise destination that mostly caters to upscale vessels.

I think you are trying to lump "impact" and "intent" together, when they are not the same thing.

The IMPACT of the Key West decision may mean that only smaller, upscale vessels can call there, but I don't necessarily think that was the INTENT.

The intent (so far as I can tell) is simply to limit the overall number of cruise passengers on a given day. If mass market ships were smaller, they would be equally welcome to dock. Practically speaking, they are excluded -- but only because of their size, not because Key West doesn't want "your kind of people" (whatever that may be) anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Actually it will transform key west back to what it used to be  mostly locals and land based tourists that stay over night with some cruise ship passengers limited to  10% of the over night accommandations.

23 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Looks like they only want to cater to the elite rich folks in those small luxury ships that we don't have the $$$ for.........I thought they were welcoming to diverse folks?  Sounds elitist to me.....Oh well, no real loss and I hope they enjoy walling of their piece of paradise.  Not welcoming to me.  

You obviously know nothing about the Keys and the people who live there. Key’s residents are some of the most laid back people in the country. But unfortunately, the hospitals are small and don’t have trauma centers. They cannot risk a major COVID outbreak. KW is a 3 hour drive from the nearest major hospital. This vote was to not only help preserve their environment, but more so to preserve their health. So in the future, I highly suggest you look at the bigger picture before making such ridiculous allegations. 

• Like 1

And this is yet another totally ridiculous comment. You really think the land of Parrotheads and a land so diverse with military, Bahamian, Cuban, and Haitian heritage is elitist and discriminatory?  Ha!  Again, you obviously know NOTHING about the Keys. 

• Like 1

It must be great to use "environmental concerns" as an excuse to keep out certain types of people.....Modern "clean" form of discrimination, IMO.  Sorry that I enjoy seeing the scenery and buying a t-shirt.

Being able to buy a t-shirt and also being environmentally responsible can be compatible.  

Over the last 10 years the awareness of environmental impact of large cruise ships has grown.  Unfortunately the large corporations & certain governments have not focused or totally disregarded the impacts...$$$$$rules.

Also its proven over & over again that cruise passengers spend much less that hotel visitors. The ports do eat Port Taxes so the incentive to allow bigger & bigger ships.

Most anyone that has been to Key West knows of its " laid back attitude". But now is more like going to MALL OF AMERICA with all day happy hour.

My first time there was in the early 1980's...it was stil a lil rough around the edges & there was a fairly large gay population enjoying the live & let live atmosphere.

I had driven down from Miami( I've never been there on a cruise) I stayed 4 days & drove back...actually the drive down the Keys was the most spectacular part of the trip. The last time I was there 7 years ago I did the drive & much had changed of course & I wont return...its just another port like Jamaica. 

One thing I dont understand is it being the first port after leaving florida..embarkation day is always a long one...who wants to be woken up early the next morning.

Another port that was almost ruined by large ships is BERMUDA...we've done the NYC-BERMUDA run since the 1960's....ships would dock in Hamilton right at Front Street.  Bermuda is a more expensive port....some of the smaller ships would sail over to St George for a day. Wonderful.  Years later larger ships started to sail there & dock in the Naval Yard.  It wasn't the same & the residents hated it.  More restrictions were put into effect..thankfully. But it's never been the same.  

I'd rather spend more on a better line & dock in Front Street.

• Like 2

Another thing about the Keys is that fir a long time along w the locals there was plenty of wealthy people there that wanted to get away(the anti palm beach crowd) & were left alone.

Friends have a home in Key Largo..I've stayed there many times..quiet beauty over looking the water...and costs millions...but youd never know it.

Some people buy $40 t shirts & $300 sneakers...others save & buy quality over quantity.

As a Floridian I am surprised you see it that way.  Cruise ship visits are a relatively small part of of the KW vibe.  Keeping the large ships out will simply help KW to keep its previous small friendly town atmosphere.  As a long time cruiser (for over 40 years) I have been to numerous ports on 6 continents and many islands..  Many ports do fine with cruise ships and can easily handle the masses.  But there are some places that have been ruined by cruise ships and their masses (St Thomas would be tops on my list) and the worldwide backlash is a growing trend.  Places like Key West, La Spegia,  Venice, Santorini, St Marteen, and several Alaskan ports are being negatively impacted by too many cruisers.  Some of these places have become greedy (St Maarten comes to mind) and continue to expand their cruise business at a huge cost to their charm.   In the USA we have seen efforts to stop cruise ships in Charleston and Key West and have recently heard of some new anti-ship sentiment up in New England and Canada.  Most recently we saw an awful situation when a large Princess vessel stopped at two tiny Greenland ports and overwhelmed the entire area...not to mention needing over 6 hours to get folks ashore in tenders.  Princess knew, when they sent the Caribbean Princess to Greenland that the ports did not have the infrastructure to support that size ship.  But they were able to sell-out the cruise and showed a high level of irresponsibility by ignoring the math of how they could get over 3000 folks ashore in a tiny town that could only handle a single tender.    As much as I love the cruise industry I cannot help but think of some cruise lines  acting like young children with little sense of responsibility when it comes to what they do to small ports, the environment (check out the history of CCL) and even COVID.  

There is a huge difference when a 600 passenger vessel docks in a town vs a 3-6000 passenger vessel!  When RCI had a naming contest for their first Oasis Class ship my DW actually submitted "Blight of the Seas" which I now realize was prophetic.    

The KW cruise issues are headed to court (Federal and possibly State) and it will be interesting to see the outcome.  It almost sounds like deja vu all over again when I think to what has happened in Venice, Italy with years of litigation trying to stall the banning of large ships.  I can't help but note that one of Key West's 3 piers (Pier B) is privately owned by a wealthy family from Delray Beach.  You can bet that family would lobby against any cruise ships coming to Delray (i.e. not in my back yard).  

In a few weeks we will be back in Key West and look forward to not sharing the town with thousands of fellow cruisers.  As far as all those T-shirt shops and Diamonds International....if they disappear and are replaced with cute boutiques and shops (the way it used to be in KW) we will cheer.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

And this is yet another totally ridiculous comment. You really think the land of Parrotheads and a land so diverse with military, Bahamian, Cuban, and Haitian heritage is elitist and discriminatory?  Ha!  Again, you obviously know NOTHING about the Keys. 

Well they do only want to look at the scenery and buy a t-shirt.

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As a Floridian I am surprised you see it that way.  Cruise ship visits are a relatively small part of of the KW vibe.  Keeping the large ships out will simply help KW to keep its previous small friendly town atmosphere.  As a long time cruiser (for over 40 years) I have been to numerous ports on 6 continents and many islands..  Many ports do fine with cruise ships and can easily handle the masses.  But there are some places that have been ruined by cruise ships and their masses (St Thomas would be tops on my list) and the worldwide backlash is a growing trend.  Places like Key West, La Spegia,  Venice, Santorini, St Marteen, and several Alaskan ports are being negatively impacted by too many cruisers.  Some of these places have become greedy (St Maarten comes to mind) and continue to expand their cruise business at a huge cost to their charm.   In the USA we have seen efforts to stop cruise ships in Charleston and Key West and have recently heard of some new anti-ship sentiment up in New England and Canada.  Most recently we saw an awful situation when a large Princess vessel stopped at two tiny Greenland ports and overwhelmed the entire area...not to mention needing over 6 hours to get folks ashore in tenders.  Princess knew, when they sent the Caribbean Princess to Greenland that the ports did not have the infrastructure to support that size ship.  But they were able to sell-out the cruise and showed a high level of irresponsibility by ignoring the math of how they could get over 3000 folks ashore in a tiny town that could only handle a single tender.    As much as I love the cruise industry I cannot help but think of some cruise lines  acting like young children with little sense of responsibility when it comes to what they do to small ports, the environment (check out the history of CCL) and even COVID.  

There is a huge difference when a 600 passenger vessel docks in a town vs a 3-6000 passenger vessel!  When RCI had a naming contest for their first Oasis Class ship my DW actually submitted "Blight of the Seas" which I now realize was prophetic.    

The KW cruise issues are headed to court (Federal and possibly State) and it will be interesting to see the outcome.  It almost sounds like deja vu all over again when I think to what has happened in Venice, Italy with years of litigation trying to stall the banning of large ships.  I can't help but note that one of Key West's 3 piers (Pier B) is privately owned by a wealthy family from Delray Beach.  You can bet that family would lobby against any cruise ships coming to Delray (i.e. not in my back yard).  

In a few weeks we will be back in Key West and look forward to not sharing the town with thousands of fellow cruisers.  As far as all those T-shirt shops and Diamonds International....if they disappear and are replaced with cute boutiques and shops (the way it used to be in KW) we will cheer.

Hank

This year we were going to spend 100+ days on cruise ships and another 80 days on land trips.  With the outbreak it has given time to distance ourselves from the trips and to think about the way various ports have changed as they have gotten over run by tourists.  Places that used to be charming and relaxing places to visit had become (prior to the outbreak) over run by cruise ship passengers.  Places that used to have one ship per day a few years ago now have 4-5 in port.  After this break we will probably still do some cruises, but not to areas such as the places you mentioned that have been so negatively impacted.

There have been articles during the outbreak that indicate that you might see even more pushback limiting numbers as the citizens in some of these areas have seen the impact on quality of life the ships have had.  They will still allow some in, for income purposes, but you will probably see more towns limiting the number of ships and passengers in the future, not more.

2 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

But unfortunately, the hospitals are small and don’t have trauma centers. They cannot risk a major COVID outbreak. KW is a 3 hour drive from the nearest major hospital. This vote was to not only help preserve their environment, but more so to preserve their health.

Excellent point.  Lower Keys Medical Center has 120 beds.  Mariners Hospital up the Keys only has 25 beds, and Fisherman's only has 22.  That's a total of 165 beds throughout the entire Keys and like you said, none of the 3 have a trauma center.  During the winter months when the population skyrockets with snowbird retirees, the last thing the Keys can afford is a massive COVID outbreak.  Since my last post, I've talked to a few friends from back home and they all said COVID was the number 1 reason for that vote.  

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

As far as all those T-shirt shops and Diamonds International....if they disappear and are replaced with cute boutiques and shops (the way it used to be in KW) we will cheer.

Truth is, most locals want to see the t-shirt shops closed anyways.  They're all foreign owned and employed, and do little to nothing for the local economy anyways.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you are trying to lump "impact" and "intent" together, when they are not the same thing.

The IMPACT of the Key West decision may mean that only smaller, upscale vessels can call there, but I don't necessarily think that was the INTENT.

The intent (so far as I can tell) is simply to limit the overall number of cruise passengers on a given day. If mass market ships were smaller, they would be equally welcome to dock. Practically speaking, they are excluded -- but only because of their size, not because Key West doesn't want "your kind of people" (whatever that may be) anymore.

Agree. 

but as with many laws and changes, the "unintended consequences" do impact folks.....Only the well heeled will be able to afford cruises to Key West....that may not be what folks intended but that's what will happen. 

I'm happy to see so much interest in the Key West story.

Holland America has cruised from Tampa, until now, since the 1980's and Key West was the first port of call for most of the sailings.  If a guest missed the ship in Tampa, it was possible for them to meet and board it the next day in Key West!  Originally, it was the Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam "N" class, followed by the Veendam and Ryndam "S" class, all of which were just under the new 1300 guest limit.  They were a great size for Key West's channel and port and city.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

You obviously know nothing about the Keys and the people who live there. Key’s residents are some of the most laid back people in the country. But unfortunately, the hospitals are small and don’t have trauma centers. They cannot risk a major COVID outbreak. KW is a 3 hour drive from the nearest major hospital. This vote was to not only help preserve their environment, but more so to preserve their health. So in the future, I highly suggest you look at the bigger picture before making such ridiculous allegations. 

Ouch.....no need to question my knowledge...but since you did.....I'm a native, life-long Floridian who has spent many a late night on Duval (in the early years).  And all up and down the "overseas highway".  And during my career, had many business contacts/clients in the Key's.  From Marathon to Key West. I'm familiar with the laid back lifestyle, chickens and the conch republic attitudes.  Walking out of meeting one day we commented that Key West is one place where a guy wearing leotards riding a green bike with a purple wig is not even noticed...but also celebrated!.....that's why Key West is a very special place for ALL of us, especially Floridians.  I also know that the population in KW has been dropping over the past few years and it's not as diverse as it once was.....As a native Floridian, I welcome all that come from elsewhere but worry they will run me out of my native land by pricing it out of my reach.  

Regarding hospitals, I think that Key West has been fine handling tourists and locals.  If hospital bed space is an issue, I wonder how Nassau and St Thomas handle it?  No-one seems to be concerned about the environment or the "throngs of t shirt buyers" in those beautiful spots....but again, those folks are much different than the folks in Key West.....thus this appears to me to be a play at elites making sure it's only available for them...Whether intentional or not,  it's a form of discrimination...Only the rich folks in those luxury cruise ships can visit.  That's my opinion and I respect, value and listen to all.

I'll miss Key West as a port stop but I'm fine in Nassau and St Thomas.......No worries, be happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I also know that the population in KW has been dropping over the past few years and it's not as diverse as it once was.

There was a population decrease after Hurricane Wilma in 2005 but otherwise, the population has stayed steady in Key West and Monroe County.