Will RCL/Cruise Lines get to choose the vaccine they require to allow you to sail?

ace2542

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

LOL not likely

They won't lift these restrictions if only 45%  of Americans or Brits or name the country take the vaccine you know. And besides in UK I think wearing masks all year round would greatly reduce the flu spread and save the NHS a lot of money. And they need to save money now any way they can.

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They won't lift these restrictions if only 45%  of Americans or Brits or name the country take the vaccine you know. And besides in UK I think wearing masks all year round would greatly reduce the flu spread and save the NHS a lot of money. And they need to save money now any way they can.

I can't speak for the UK, nut the USA certainly will not maintain a mask mandate. They can't maintain it now, pre-vaccine-they certainly won't be able to post vaccine. If 45% of the population gets the vaccine, and it is as effective as advertised, masks won't be necessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I can't speak for the UK, nut the USA certainly will not maintain a mask mandate. They can't maintain it now, pre-vaccine-they certainly won't be able to post vaccine. If 45% of the population gets the vaccine, and it is as effective as advertised, masks won't be necessary. 

Of course the UK Government probably wouldn't continue with mask wearing to prevent flu despite the potential unknown savings for the NHS.

But on cruise ships mask wearing will continue forever despite vaccination because the vaccine is not 100% effective. Look at it this way.  Harmony of the seas when full has 9000 passengers and crew. With 5% of vaccines not effective that is still 450 people who can contract the coronavirus?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Of course the UK Government probably wouldn't continue with mask wearing to prevent flu despite the potential unknown savings for the NHS.

But on cruise ships mask wearing will continue forever despite vaccination because the vaccine is not 100% effective. Look at it this way.  Harmony of the seas when full has 9000 passengers and crew. With 5% of vaccines not effective that is still 450 people who can contract the coronavirus?

The vaccine will not eradicate this but it will just reduce it to the point that the numbers are no different that the flu.  We have never had to wear masks on board because of the flu yet many people still caught the flu on board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The vaccine will not eradicate this but it will just reduce it to the point that the numbers are no different that the flu.  We have never had to wear masks on board because of the flu yet many people still caught the flu on board. 

They have also never cancelled sailings, or turned ships away from ports because of Flu to my knowledge. And no one had to quarantine 14 days because of it. We shall see but I think the lines will continue do it and suffer for it.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  For cruises embarking from the USA, once the CDC declares the pandemic is no longer, the mask recommendations on land will cease to exist.  If the federal government is not mandating masks on land, the CDC will no longer mandate masks on a cruise ship. Once the CDC requirement is gone, there is no cruise line n the world that would mandate that on their own.

• Like 4

We will have to agree to disagree.  For cruises embarking from the USA, once the CDC declares the pandemic is no longer, the mask recommendations on land will cease to exist.  If the federal government is not mandating masks on land, the CDC will no longer mandate masks on a cruise ship. Once the CDC requirement is gone, there is no cruise line n the world that would mandate that on their own.

You are probably right but why would they not mandate them? I am coming from a point of  no vaccine no sail or no employment  meaning 100% of people onboard are vaccinated even though that may not be completely effective. Others on here are of the opinion that vaccination will not be required to board as passenger at least. Which means every cruise has a much greater chance of suffering outbreaks especially if they have numbers of unvaccinated people onboard? So would masks not be the only way to reduce or contain any spread?

Edited by ace2542

30 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You are probably right but why would they not mandate them? I am coming from a point of  no vaccine no sail or no employment  meaning 100% of people onboard are vaccinated even though that may not be completely effective. Others on here are of the opinion that vaccination will not be required to board as passenger at least. Which means every cruise has a much greater chance of suffering outbreaks especially if they have numbers of unvaccinated people onboard? So would masks not be the only way to reduce or contain any spread?

We go on and on and simply speculating on what will be mandated by the cruise or governments.  We will eventually reach as "herd immunity", until the next pandemic.

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

One thing we agree upon, in the near future I believe 100% of the souls onboard a cruise ship will be vaccinated. If a vaccine is 95% effective (or even 75%) you still have the chance of isolated instances of the virus, but not an “outbreak”. Remember the virus will never be eradicated, it will become manageable, just like hundreds of other viruses. At the point of “common” inoculations, masking would have little noticeable effect. 
Those at high risk (vaccinated or not) and those choosing not to be vaccinated will have to adjust their daily life to the point at which they are comfortable. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

One thing we agree upon, in the near future I believe 100% of the souls onboard a cruise ship will be vaccinated. If a vaccine is 95% effective (or even 75%) you still have the chance of isolated instances of the virus, but not an “outbreak”. Remember the virus will never be eradicated, it will become manageable, just like hundreds of other viruses. At the point of “common” inoculations, masking would have little noticeable effect. 
Those at high risk (vaccinated or not) and those choosing not to be vaccinated will have to adjust their daily life to the point at which they are comfortable. 

How near future is near future?  Our next cruise is in mid-June. I’m high risk, so I should be vaccinated by then. But I’m traveling with my daughter and 12-year old granddaughter. They probably won’t be. So, what’s our game plan?

10 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

How near future is near future?  Our next cruise is in mid-June. I’m high risk, so I should be vaccinated by then. But I’m traveling with my daughter and 12-year old granddaughter. They probably won’t be. So, what’s our game plan?

Could you get the vaccine privately like by paying money for your daughter/granddaughter? Or does it not work like that in America?.

17 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

No one can answer that question yet.  We do not have an approved vaccine yet, may not for another month.  Once we do have vaccine availability, no one knows the real distribution game plan, nor do we know the manufacture capacity.  We also have the wild card out there of other vaccines soon to provide their phase 3 findings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Could you get the vaccine privately like by paying money for your daughter/granddaughter? Or does it not work like that in America?.

Regardless of how things work in America vs the UK, the governmental agencies in both countries will distribute the vaccine as they deem best serves the greater good.  Until this initial distribution is complete, it does not matter how much money you care to spend; if it is not your groups turn, you won't be getting an inoculation.

• Like 3

What I find amazing is that the Chinese initiated this mess and should be way ahead in identifying the complete make-up of Covid and haven't come up with a vaccine of their own.  I guess they are waiting for the West to expend it;s resources and gain from it.

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

What I find amazing is that the Chinese initiated this mess and should be way ahead in identifying the complete make-up of Covid and haven't come up with a vaccine of their own.  I guess they are waiting for the West to expend it;s resources and gain from it.

You don't know what China has, or has not, come up with. We only know what China wants us to know... and truth does not particularly factor into anything that they say.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They have also never cancelled sailings, or turned ships away from ports because of Flu to my knowledge. And no one had to quarantine 14 days because of it. We shall see but I think the lines will continue do it and suffer for it.

Several Caribbean ports have turned away ships do to flu outbreaks and Noro outbreaks on ships. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nelblu said:

China has several vaccine candidates of their own (5). Some in phase 3. Also some of them are undergoing trials outside of China. Also ironically the US trials have been able to be completed before other countries vaccine trials because the vaccine is raging in the US more than other countries.  

They have also according to some reports vaccinated about 1,000,000 of their citizens before any of them have been approved. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 11/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, ace2542 said:

I can imagine we will be wearing masks for the rest of our lives. After all they will prevent the spreads of colds and flu as well. Not just on cruise ships but in the world in general......

Do you not watch tv? How can you think the people will be wearing masks for the rest of their lives when some people refuse to wear them now???

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

......But on cruise ships mask wearing will continue forever despite vaccination because the vaccine is not 100% effective.......

Not going to happen. EVER!

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They have never been thru a pandemic so what would you expect?

I think it’s pretty safe that everyone will need to be vaccinated to travel especially out of country. I can see all the Caribbean islands requiring it 

Tickmaster has even started working on something via a third party app in order to go to an event. Will have to prove you had the vaccine or have a Covid test to go. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

China has several vaccine candidates of their own (5). Some in phase 3. Also some of them are undergoing trials outside of China. Also ironically the US trials have been able to be completed before other countries vaccine trials because the vaccine is raging in the US more than other countries.  

They have also according to some reports vaccinated about 1,000,000 of their citizens before any of them have been approved. 

I'm assuming you mean Covid is raging.  By the way, it's raging all over the world.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do you not watch tv? How can you think the people will be wearing masks for the rest of their lives when some people refuse to wear them now???

Not going to happen. EVER!

They have never been thru a pandemic so what would you expect?

The mandate might stay in place and people get fined for not wearing them. And only 40 or 45% of americans will take the vaccine so the pandemic won't end anytime soon. And the have been through this before the white star line/cunard was around during the spanish flu of 1918. And I don't know how they handled it. But I have heard stories of people having to cough to get past Ellis Island and if you could not cough they sent you home. That is only what I have heard.

Edited by ace2542

Regardless of how things work in America vs the UK, the governmental agencies in both countries will distribute the vaccine as they deem best serves the greater good.  Until this initial distribution is complete, it does not matter how much money you care to spend; if it is not your groups turn, you won't be getting an inoculation.

Ok so if they can't get it by paying money then perhaps a good option would be signing the daughter/granddaughter up for a vaccine trial? With the only other option being cancelling or changing the sailing date if they will allow that.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You don't know what China has, or has not, come up with. We only know what China wants us to know... and truth does not particularly factor into anything that they say.

Even after having covid19 I will and hopefully everyone will get a vaccine and particularly before getting on a ship.

Just heard from a good friend that a 33 year old man he knows who was Europes 5th strongest Man in 2018 with no health issues has died 11 days after contracting covid19.

The sooner people realise it can affect young and extremely fit people and get the vaccine when it is available the safer everyone will be.

• Like 2