Will RCL/Cruise Lines get to choose the vaccine they require to allow you to sail?

ace2542

30 minutes ago, Domino D said:

I think you are right, but in 2021 America, I won't be surprised when someone come on here to say "You can't deny me passage for not telling you, it violates my HIPPA rights."

I'm not sure that HIPPA laws apply to whether someone had the vaccine or not.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the law applies to the details of the illness.  Plus, I read that some states the vaccine will be mandatory, subject to constitutional issues.

See the following link that I posted earlier,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/ticketmaster-to-require-proof-of-vaccine-or-negative-covid-test/ar-BB1aVnzE

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

But wouldn’t the cruiser with a vaccine know and have documentation to provide when boarding. Once the individual supplies the info, HIPPA no longer applies?

I was simply replying to the post questioning HIPPA laws applying to foreign flagged ships.  You are correct, though, HIPPA does allow for release of the information if the patient/passenger signs a release detailing WHAT information is being released and why it's being done.  If the patient/passenger has a document with the information on it already, all they need to supply is that document and HIPPA still doesn't apply, except if the cruise line is storing that documentation they need to protect it like any other entity protects medical records.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I'm not sure that HIPPA laws apply to whether someone had the vaccine or not.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the law applies to the details of the illness.  Plus, I read that some states the vaccine will be mandatory, subject to constitutional issues.

See the following link that I posted earlier,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/ticketmaster-to-require-proof-of-vaccine-or-negative-covid-test/ar-BB1aVnzE

Oh I'm not saying that you aren't right.  I'm saying someone will argue it and claim their rights are being stepped on.  Further, there will be no convincing them that what they are arguing is wrong.  

Cosco can't convince people they have the right to require masks.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Oh I'm not saying that you aren't right.  I'm saying someone will argue it and claim their rights are being stepped on.  Further, there will be no convincing them that what they are arguing is wrong.  

Cosco can't convince people they have the right to require masks.  

Got you,

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

HIPPA laws apply to Foreign Flagged ships?

They protect US citizens in the United States. If the cruise ship is embarking from a US port, passengers are protected by US HIPPA laws. If they require a vaccine, all the can ask for is proof of vaccination. Now, at the online check-in they could make it a new policy in order to board that you agree to provide the vaccination name or forfeit your cruise for immediate refund. That would be a loophole to ask for it. However, I don't see them going that route. The 2 vaccines are showing greater than 90% efficacy in trials. Since those may be the only ones around when cruising starts, just proof would be more than enough. The better part, no masks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

They protect US citizens in the United States. If the cruise ship is embarking from a US port, passengers are protected by US HIPPA laws. If they require a vaccine, all the can ask for is proof of vaccination. Now, at the online check-in they could make it a new policy in order to board that you agree to provide the vaccination name or forfeit your cruise for immediate refund. That would be a loophole to ask for it. However, I don't see them going that route. The 2 vaccines are showing greater than 90% efficacy in trials. Since those may be the only ones around when cruising starts, just proof would be more than enough. The better part, no masks.

I don’t either. I think it’s Hypothetical. 

4 hours ago, hallux said:

No, but they apply to the entity that would provide the info to the ship.

It doesn't work that way. The customer is responsible for supplying the information. They don't have to provide it and RCI doesn't have to let them aboard their ship. Obviously no physician is going to send the info just because some business asks them to.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, HIPAA doesn’t come into play here. 

Thanks. Everyone thinks they know the ins and outs of HIPAA. I get tired of discussing it. I have to live with this law every day but they are happy to educate me on where I am wrong and they are right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

They protect US citizens in the United States. If the cruise ship is embarking from a US port, passengers are protected by US HIPPA laws. 

HIPAA applies to medically related entities and how they have to handle your protected health information. It has nothing to do with a cruise line. They can ask for whatever information they want to in order to let you on their ship. You can decide whether to comply or not and deal with the consequences of your decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. Everyone thinks they know the ins and outs of HIPAA. I get tired of discussing it. I have to live with this law every day but they are happy to educate me on where I am wrong and they are right.

I agree 100%, it’s part of my daily life as welll. Everyone seems to think that HIPAA is a “catch all” or an umbrella type protection.  It’s nearly impossible to convince them that it actually; as you know, has an extremely narrow application-aimed exclusively at healthcare providers and in some instances employers. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I agree 100%, it’s part of my daily life as welll. Everyone seems to think that HIPAA is a “catch all” or an umbrella type protection.  It’s nearly impossible to convince them that it actually; as you know, has an extremely narrow application-aimed exclusively at healthcare providers and in some instances employers. 

For starters they don't even know the correct letters that the law is referenced by and it is down hill from there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I can imagine we will be wearing masks for the rest of our lives. After all they will prevent the spreads of colds and flu as well. Not just on cruise ships but in the world in general.

Asking for vaccination name at check in suggests that they could reject a named vaccine and therefore a chunk of customers?. A decision which would force those customers to either forget about cruising altogether or seek out a second vaccination. And that could be dangerous as I don't think we have any way of knowing or even if any research has been done as to how different vaccines interact with each other.

7 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

@grapau27 I am sorry to hear you got Covid but happy to hear you are feeling better. I pray your wife continues to stay well also.

Enjoy your float away lounge looking out at that beautiful sea.

#55worktoplay.

Thank you for your kind words.

Day 14 since my symptoms started and I have been in bed all this time except when I went for the test which fortunately was only 2 minutes drive from home.

I tested positive but Pauline had no symptoms so didn't have a test so she might be asymptomatic.

Graham.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Asking for vaccination name at check in suggests that they could reject a named vaccine and therefore a chunk of customers?.

At least in the US, if a vaccine has been approved by the FDA, rejection would lead to lawsuits.

19 hours ago, Domino D said:

I think you are right, but in 2021 America, I won't be surprised when someone come on here to say "You can't deny me passage for not telling you, it violates my HIPPA rights."

People claim all sorts on non-existant rights. Hopefully, they enjoy standing on the pier waving goodbye to the ship.

It is all moot anyway. The cruise lines aren't going to care which licensed vaccine you got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I would think that would be against hippa.

And what part of HIPAA does the cruise line requiring a vaccine violate?  Do schools also violate HIPAA then, for requiring certain vaccines in order to attend?

The cruise line would be asking people to provide the proof that they received a vaccine.  When you provide the information yourself there is no HIPAA violation.  If the cruise line keeps that information on record then the cruise line needs to protect that information just as any other entity storing health records does.

What they CAN'T do is ask for your physician's name and the pharmacy name, then go to them and ask for them to provide proof they administered certain vaccines, UNLESS the cruise line has you fill out a form authorizing them to do that.

39 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

People claim all sorts on non-existant rights. Hopefully, they enjoy standing on the pier waving goodbye to the ship.

It is all moot anyway. The cruise lines aren't going to care which licensed vaccine you got.

Yes, dead on with both of these. 

People so struggle with the idea of perceived rights.  If the CDC or some other authority doesn't force them, I doubt they would ask for any proof at all, much less an exact vaccine.  I think there will be rules requiring proof of vaccination, because it will be a government or CDC requirement.  I also think the cruise lines themselves will do as much as it takes to meet the requirements and limit their liability, and not one thing more than that.   Same people who have been using, "Are you feeling okay" as a health check up until now.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, hallux said:

And what part of HIPAA does the cruise line requiring a vaccine violate?  Do schools also violate HIPAA then, for requiring certain vaccines in order to attend?

The cruise line would be asking people to provide the proof that they received a vaccine.  When you provide the information yourself there is no HIPAA violation.  If the cruise line keeps that information on record then the cruise line needs to protect that information just as any other entity storing health records does.

What they CAN'T do is ask for your physician's name and the pharmacy name, then go to them and ask for them to provide proof they administered certain vaccines, UNLESS the cruise line has you fill out a form authorizing them to do that.

There are also multiple countries that require certain vaccines to enter.  Not sure why anyone thinks this would be any different.  Heck, in order to volunteer in my boys elementary school and later work in a gym child care, I had to prove I had a negative tb test.  That didn't violate my rights.  It was my choice if I wanted to do these things.  The cruise line wouldn't have to store the info, just verify at boarding and after that it would be up to the individual to prove it if something happened that required it, such as an outbreak.   I'm pretty sure the old health forms we used to have to fill out were just looked at by the person checking you in and then tossed once you were checked in.

If they didn't require proof and just asked the question, then the person could be removed from the ship if it was found they lied about it and if they brought the illness onboard having not had a vaccine, could be banned for life by the cruise line.  So, depending on which direction the cruise line wants to go, they're protected either way.

Edited by BND

8 hours ago, BND said:

There are also multiple countries that require certain vaccines to enter.  Not sure why anyone thinks this would be any different.  Heck, in order to volunteer in my boys elementary school and later work in a gym child care, I had to prove I had a negative tb test.  That didn't violate my rights.  It was my choice if I wanted to do these things.  The cruise line wouldn't have to store the info, just verify at boarding and after that it would be up to the individual to prove it if something happened that required it, such as an outbreak.   I'm pretty sure the old health forms we used to have to fill out were just looked at by the person checking you in and then tossed once you were checked in.

If they didn't require proof and just asked the question, then the person could be removed from the ship if it was found they lied about it and if they brought the illness onboard having not had a vaccine, could be banned for life by the cruise line.  So, depending on which direction the cruise line wants to go, they're protected either way.

It might be tough to prove who bought the virus onboard but would a charge of reckless endangerment not be a consideration if anyone was proven to have lied and they get an outbreak.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

It might be tough to prove who bought the virus onboard but would a charge of reckless endangerment not be a consideration if anyone was proven to have lied and they get an outbreak.

Under whose jurisdiction?