Will RCL/Cruise Lines get to choose the vaccine they require to allow you to sail?

ace2542

I think we can all agree that cruise lines will almost certainly insist upon a vaccine to sail/work onboard their ships. It is the only way to truly ensure they don't get any outbreaks onboard, secure port entry and even to protect against false test results in my opinion. Will they be able to dictate what vaccine they require passengers to have to board ie the Moderna as it appears more effective than pfizer? Or will they have to accept the fact that passenger has been vaccinated with name the vaccine.

Edited by ace2542

The general public (and cruise lines) will have zero input on what vaccine is taken (given). Once EUA is granted from the CDC all vaccines will be considered essentially identical, from a effectiveness standpoint. Any given year there are up to a dozen different flu vaccines; you have no idea which one you are getting and it doesn’t matter. Geography of the provider is as big of a player in what vaccine sis available as is any other variable. 

• Like 8

More important question for me - if they add a requirement for a vaccine as a condition to sail to an existing booking made before a vaccine was requirement to board, will they issue full refunds to anyone who can't meet the requirement or force FCC on us?

I'm not a front line worker.  I don't work in healthcare.  I'm not a teacher.  I don't have pre-existing conditions.  The right thing for me to do is wait patiently for a vaccine while those that truly warrant or need a vaccine get theirs.  

It could be the summer before it's my turn for a vaccine.  If they add a requirement for a vaccine to a May cruise that is an NRD booking and I can't meet this new requirement do I get a full refund or fools gold FCC?

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The general public (and cruise lines) will have zero input on what vaccine is taken (given). Once EUA is granted from the CDC all vaccines will be considered essentially identical, from a effectiveness standpoint. Any given year there are up to a dozen different flu vaccines; you have no idea which one you are getting and it doesn’t matter. Geography of the provider is as big of a player in what vaccine sis available as is any other variable. 

I asked about this on another thread.  Like you said people don't usually have a clue what type/brand vaccines they are getting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

More important question for me - if they add a requirement for a vaccine as a condition to sail to an existing booking made before a vaccine was requirement to board, will they issue full refunds to anyone who can't meet the requirement or force FCC on us?

I'm not a front line worker.  I don't work in healthcare.  I'm not a teacher.  I don't have pre-existing conditions.  The right thing for me to do is wait patiently for a vaccine while those that truly warrant or need a vaccine get theirs.  

It could be the summer before it's my turn for a vaccine.  If they add a requirement for a vaccine to a May cruise that is an NRD booking and I can't meet this new requirement do I get a full refund or fools gold FCC?

I fully support vaccine certification being required by the cruise line in order to sail, but you bring up a very valid question.  It seems to me they should at least give a person in the situation you describe the option to rebook or a refund. 

It could be more of a mess once cruises start back up than it is right now - one of the reasons I have nothing booked until next fall - a L&S from this November and don't plan on booking anything else regardless of price, until cruises have been up and running successfully for several months.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I personally doubt they will add a requirement until a vaccine is widely available. If they did, I'd assume they would offer a full refund since it would be a change to the contract terms. Now if it becomes a CDC mandate, that might be different since I am sure there is already language that you must meet CDC guidelines, e.g. pregnancy, and diarrhea.

Edited by OSUZorba

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Are you going to get the vaccine?

I am getting it only to travel/cruise. I don't feel it would affect me too seriously in my own country. But I would not want to that risk overseas and would like to have those travel options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm in the same situation as you - the roll out plan I saw had 4 phases, we'd both be phase 4 "everyone else" that was considered to be only 5-15% of the population based on the CNBC article I read about it.

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

you have no idea which one you are getting and it doesn’t matter

When you ask a provider for a "Flu shot", you wouldn't know up front unless you ask and you likely won't have a choice from a provider.  However - I was offered a certificate to indicate that I had received a Flu shot (which I took, in case mild symptoms appeared I could show that they were likely the result of the shot) and which vaccine was administered was noted on that certificate.  I had it done at the pharmacy at the grocery store, they also provided a paper print out similar to the label that goes on a prescription bottle, I'm sure someone could also decipher from that which vaccine was administered.

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I think we can all agree that cruise lines will almost certainly insist upon a vaccine to sail/work onboard their ships. It is the only way to truly ensure they don't get any outbreaks onboard, secure port entry and even to protect against false test results in my opinion. Will they be able to dictate what vaccine they require passengers to have to board ie the Moderna as it appears more effective than pfizer? Or will they have to accept the fact that passenger has been vaccinated with name the vaccine.

Don't assume Moderna is more effective than Pfizer.  Moderna first read was 94.5% while Prizer was "AT LEAST 90%".  Need to wait and see results for each candidate broken down by demographic groups.

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No, I don't think that we all agree that cruise lines will require a vaccination.

It will be years before there is enough vaccine to inoculate everyone. It will probably be the better part of year before there is enough vaccine to start to inoculate the general population of the US.

And no, you will zero opportunity to "shop for a vaccine". 

The UK ordered 5 million doses of Moderna and 40 million doses of Pfizer (enough to inoculate 34% of the UK - and unclear how the NHS will distribute it). (Source BBC)

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Wonder what happens if she gets the vaccine and I don’t??? She sees CV patients???

You have probably seen enough movies to know that it won't end well for you.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2