News of NCL Trials in January

Jim and Monika

If you read yesterday’s Cruise Critic article that includes this and more, from FDR, it sounded as if the entire Alaska sailing season for NCLH was questionable.

The comments in the article are about NCLH as a whole. We don’t know when any Oceania ships, in particular, may go on a trial run. 

Of the ships that might sail in US waters, do any current sold cruises meet the CDC allowed length and port restrictions?  Could Oceania reasonably fill a ship , to even reduced capacity, for a 7 day cruise to nowhere in late Feb or March? 

If they cancel all those cruises now to start reselling newly authorized cruises, they’ll have to make all the refunds or FCC now.

It will be interesting to see if the Europe O cruises for 2021 will go ahead and start up as planned since the ships are already over there and don't need to come to the US. I'm scheduled on Marina Baltic Aug. 29 and she is  currently in Genoa. Marina should be ready to go as soon as the European ports allow it. The first Med cruise is scheduled for April 23 from Rome, then she moves to the Baltic June 3.

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

It will be interesting to see if the Europe O cruises for 2021 will go ahead and start up as planned since the ships are already over there and don't need to come to the US. I'm scheduled on Marina Baltic Aug. 29 and she is  currently in Genoa. Marina should be ready to go as soon as the European ports allow it. The first Med cruise is scheduled for April 23 from Rome, then she moves to the Baltic June 3.

I agree with part of this. I don’t believe that the ships will sail in US waters anytime soon.

The part tbd is when will the EU relax it’s seven (7) day cruise limit on the ships? Those 4/23/21 cruises you referenced are not seven dayers! There will come a time , early next year when the EU and CDC must tell the lines they can sail the longer cruises or not. If not, a lot of cruises will be cancelled and either new shorter ones scheduled and sold, or they walk away from that season of cruises altogether . 

18 minutes ago, susiesan said:

It will be interesting to see if the Europe O cruises for 2021 will go ahead and start up as planned since the ships are already over there and don't need to come to the US.

If some do restart, then there will likely initially be restrictions on counties of residence for passengers permitted onboard. 

Edited by Tranquility Base

Just now, Tranquility Base said:

If some do restart, then there will likely be restrictions on counties of residence for passengers permitted onboard. 

If Americans are restricted from O's cruises in Europe then the ships will be mostly empty.

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

If some do restart, then there will likely initially be restrictions on counties of residence for passengers permitted onboard. 

If:

1. The vaccines are available, and;
2.  You get the vaccine, then;

They’ll gladly let you in, imo.

April might be a push, July shouldn’t be a problem. 

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

If:

1. The vaccines are available, and;
2.  You get the vaccine, then;

They’ll gladly let you in, imo.

April might be a push, July shouldn’t be a problem. 

Thats why I am betting big time on  last week in September  into October on Marina  According to the distribution plans  I ought to be in the second tier  to get vaccine by Feb  There are forecasts  3 to 5 more vaccines  nearing approval world wide...     Confidence is high...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Vacines for the general population won't start until second quarter due to manufacturer production limits

2nd Quarter = April - June.

Most sailing won’t start up until July. Oh, that’s seven (7) months! You know right in the middle of that 6-9 months window foreseen by FDR!

11 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Thanks, that sounds about right and I think things will start to normalize (not have all the virus protocols) around the second quarter of 2022.  That gives time for the vaccines to significantly reduce the spread.

Yes, a good time frame to shoot for. 

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Source?

It’s been stated by Fauci and numerous other professionals in the business!

1. 1st responders - Dec and early January 

2a. Those highly vulnerable in nursing homes or having other conditions. Other health care providers.
2b.  Over 65.

February-March

3. Students and Teachers

4. General Population Sometime 2nd Quarter.

precise timing will be dependent upon the number of vaccines approved and production capacities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Looks like the earliest cruises will be full of a bunch of old farts only 😉🙄

Except some of us old effing farts may be smart enough to wait and see what kind of results we get.  I would no more cruise in early '21 than I would in late '21.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Looks like the earliest cruises will be full of a bunch of old farts only 😉🙄

You have something against old people?   They are who made this country great.  

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Yeah, but I guess they don't get to do it again, huh?

It is the younger ones that get to do it now.  Most of us are too tired to do it again.  It is O.K.   I know they will get it right.  

• Like 1