What's an NCL Christmas Cruise like?

NikiPinkston

We have reservations on the Pride of America in May and, although we intend to get the vaccine, I think we would still be dealing with tests, masks, etc., per the CDC's requirements and who knows if we'll be able to get our second dose by then.  So, we're seriously thinking about changing our booking to leave Honolulu on Christmas Day (after spending a few days there pre-cruise) and would love to hear about other cruisers' experiences sailing over Christmas.  I assume it's wonderful, but would love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

We were on the Jade for a Christmas cruise a few years ago and loved it!  The ship was beautifully decorated and there were some special programs - caroling, Santa, etc.  They had a lovely Christmas dinner in the MDR.  I brought a few small decorations for our cabin, which added a little touch of home.

As you might imagine, there were quite a few families on the cruise, but we found that we didn't really see the children very often, except at dinner and during some of the special programs.  We do not have children, but really enjoyed being around them and watching their excitement.  It was just a very festive and fun way to spend the holidays.  I think you will not be disappointed. 

Another plus to moving your cruise to December - you may have a chance at seeing whales if that is important to you. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MBMGWM said:

We were on the Jade for a Christmas cruise a few years ago and loved it!  The ship was beautifully decorated and there were some special programs - caroling, Santa, etc.  They had a lovely Christmas dinner in the MDR.  I brought a few small decorations for our cabin, which added a little touch of home.

As you might imagine, there were quite a few families on the cruise, but we found that we didn't really see the children very often, except at dinner and during some of the special programs.  We do not have children, but really enjoyed being around them and watching their excitement.  It was just a very festive and fun way to spend the holidays.  I think you will not be disappointed. 

Another plus to moving your cruise to December - you may have a chance at seeing whales if that is important to you. 

Thank you so much, MBMGWM! That all sounds lovely. Appreciate hearing about your experience!

6 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

We have reservations on the Pride of America in May and, although we intend to get the vaccine, I think we would still be dealing with tests, masks, etc., per the CDC's requirements and who knows if we'll be able to get our second dose by then.  So, we're seriously thinking about changing our booking to leave Honolulu on Christmas Day (after spending a few days there pre-cruise) and would love to hear about other cruisers' experiences sailing over Christmas.  I assume it's wonderful, but would love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

The ship will be festive with lots of what you would expect on Christmas day (and New Year Eve). Being from San Diego, I suppose you wouldn't mind 80 degree temperatures (Christmas lights wrapped around palm trees). The POA is the best way to cruise Hawaii. But, it is port intensive with a port call every day and a couple of overnight port calls, so you are not on the ship a lot. If you are going to do specialty dining on Christmas or New Years Eve, book exactly 120 days prior to departure, else they will sell out. And check whether your dining package, if you have one, is valid on those nights.  

One big consideration is that air travel to Hawaii during Christmas can cost >50% more than your May trip. The flights are expensive and the flights are full. You would probably want to drive to LAX for a non-stop vs. risk connecting in LAX or SFO during the holiday season and winter season (i.e., planes are sometimes not where they are scheduled if there is winter weather anywhere in the U.S. and if you miss your connection to Hawaii at Christmas time, you may not get on another flight for several days). Similarly, the hotels pre-cruise will be very expensive (25%-50% more, especially 2-3 days prior to Christmas through the New Year) since it is peak tourist season for both the US and Japan traveling to Hawaii.  

(Not POA)

image.png.eb16dc3d01a71231c0ddbe39150df68f.png

image.png.6ac0fe2edc02a925efb6978c728f94e3.png

image.png.45276474377d551dd86304c8cf606298.png

image.png.94b670a98c52df5cfcc5bd3d0cddd229.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The ship will be festive with lots of what you would expect on Christmas day (and New Year Eve). Being from San Diego, I suppose you wouldn't mind 80 degree temperatures (Christmas lights wrapped around palm trees). The POA is the best way to cruise Hawaii. But, it is port intensive with a port call every day and a couple of overnight port calls, so you are not on the ship a lot. If you are going to do specialty dining on Christmas or New Years Eve, book exactly 120 days prior to departure, else they will sell out. And check whether your dining package, if you have one, is valid on those nights.  

One big consideration is that air travel to Hawaii during Christmas can cost >50% more than your May trip. The flights are expensive and the flights are full. You would probably want to drive to LAX for a non-stop vs. risk connecting in LAX or SFO during the holiday season and winter season (i.e., planes are sometimes not where they are scheduled if there is winter weather anywhere in the U.S. and if you miss your connection to Hawaii at Christmas time, you may not get on another flight for several days). Similarly, the hotels pre-cruise will be very expensive (25%-50% more, especially 2-3 days prior to Christmas through the New Year) since it is peak tourist season for both the US and Japan traveling to Hawaii.  

(Not POA)

image.png.eb16dc3d01a71231c0ddbe39150df68f.png

image.png.6ac0fe2edc02a925efb6978c728f94e3.png

image.png.45276474377d551dd86304c8cf606298.png

image.png.94b670a98c52df5cfcc5bd3d0cddd229.png

Thank you so much for all of the great info, BirdTravels!  We did the 11-day NCL Hawaii "Explorer" cruise in 2016 & loved it so much that we had planned to do the 7-day cruise for our 40th anniversary earlier this year but, of course, it was canceled.  We had flown Hawaiian Arilines non-stop to Honolulu out of San Diego last time & had also scheduled the same flight this past year (which also, of course, was canceled) but we have two years to reschedule with Hawaiian.  With the issues with flights, hotels & crowds that you pointed out, I'm now thinking that perhaps Thanksgiving or earlier in December might be a better option.  Really appreciate the tips about specialty dining, too, and yes, Christmas lights wrapped around palm trees would feel completely normal to us!  I know you've been on many many cruises, so what do you think of Hawaii & the POA in October, November & earlier in December, BirdTravels?  Thanks again!

4 hours ago, pizzalady1 said:

The POA had tons of gingerbread houses in the atrium--very pretty and fun.

P1050877.JPG

P1050880.JPG

Thank you, pizzalady1!  I'm a huge fan of gingerbread houses so I know that I would enjoy that.  With some of the issues with higher rates for hotels & flights and larger crowds over Christmas Day itself, we're thinking about rescheduling our May reservation for the fall or earlier in December as I read that the Christmas decorations are put up right after Thanksgiving. Really appreciate hearing from you!

7 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

Thank you, pizzalady1!  I'm a huge fan of gingerbread houses so I know that I would enjoy that.  With some of the issues with higher rates for hotels & flights and larger crowds over Christmas Day itself, we're thinking about rescheduling our May reservation for the fall or earlier in December as I read that the Christmas decorations are put up right after Thanksgiving. Really appreciate hearing from you!

We did Dec. 8-Dec 15 last year on the Joy and all the decorations were completely up about half way through. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

We did Dec. 8-Dec 15 last year on the Joy and all the decorations were completely up about half way through. 

Thank you, oregonian 123!  That's what I had heard & it seems like a much smarter option to go before the actual week of Christmas.  Appreciate your input!

11 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Thank you, oregonian 123!  That's what I had heard & it seems like a much smarter option to go before the actual week of Christmas.  Appreciate your input!

I agree. Prices are so much lower in those Two weeks before Smas. I did one Smas cruise on the bliss and I would probably never do it again. I met great people and the ship was great, but there were just TOO many families...like teens crowding the nightclub and there was never a day anything was quiet. I am generally not a picky person on cruises, looking for all sorts of things to complain about, and, I like a lot of action on the ship. but this was really nutso/crazy. And If you’re a planner, you can Forget reservations for anything and will have to make decisions on board “as space permits”.

Also, if you like socializing, it’s an awful time in my opinion because everyone tends to keep to themselves because they’re all there in big groups. If I hadn’t been with a group on that sailing, I probably wouldn’t have gone. So if you just like seeing ports and keeping to yourself, It’d probably be OK.

and the price premium wasn’t worth it either. I would have rather spent that money on a better cabin or two cruises instead of one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

I agree. Prices are so much lower in those Two weeks before Smas. I did one Smas cruise on the bliss and I would probably never do it again. I met great people and the ship was great, but there were just TOO many families...like teens crowding the nightclub and there was never a day anything was quiet. I am generally not a picky person on cruises, looking for all sorts of things to complain about, and, I like a lot of action on the ship. but this was really nutso/crazy. And If you’re a planner, you can Forget reservations for anything and will have to make decisions on board “as space permits”.

Also, if you like socializing, it’s an awful time in my opinion because everyone tends to keep to themselves because they’re all there in big groups. If I hadn’t been with a group on that sailing, I probably wouldn’t have gone. So if you just like seeing ports and keeping to yourself, It’d probably be OK.

and the price premium wasn’t worth it either. I would have rather spent that money on a better cabin or two cruises instead of one. 

marktwothousand, I am definitely a planner & like to have everything reserved beforehand - all the better to look forward to things - so not being able to do that would be a bummer for me. The crowds & chaos doesn't sound appealing either.  Thank you so very much for your advice. We've decided that going earlier in the month makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1

I have done two Christmas cruises on The Getaway.  For a 70 something widow and a solo passenger, I had a blast.  Can not wait to do it again.

Lots of holiday decorations all over the ship.  A Gingerbread display which was wonderful.  Wonderful dinner.  Christmas Eve some of the Senior Officers went caroling through the ship and then led a sing-a-long in the Atrium.  Late Christmas Eve there was a special program in the theatre.  Christmas morning Santa arrived with gifts for all the kids.

Yes lots of multi-generational families on board including several family reunions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I have done two Christmas cruises on The Getaway.  For a 70 something widow and a solo passenger, I had a blast.  Can not wait to do it again.

Lots of holiday decorations all over the ship.  A Gingerbread display which was wonderful.  Wonderful dinner.  Christmas Eve some of the Senior Officers went caroling through the ship and then led a sing-a-long in the Atrium.  Late Christmas Eve there was a special program in the theatre.  Christmas morning Santa arrived with gifts for all the kids.

Yes lots of multi-generational families on board including several family reunions.

That sounds like a lot of fun, www3traveler!  I love everything Christmas & all of those festivities sound wonderful, and you sound like a fun cruiser.  Thank you for sharing your experience!

This post is regarding airfare and flights from CA.  We owned a vacation home for 10 years on the Big Island. We flew over about three times a year.  All airlines, all times during the year, all five major airports on the Islands. As I remember, the airfares start to rise (in both directions) about Dec 11th or 12th and go back down about Jan 9th or 10th.  If you can,  check the fares before your cruise booking. You should see those fares appear in another four to six weeks or so. Of course anything can be different now. And the closer you get to the holiday, the higher. 

Although flights from LAX or SFO on the major carriers may indeed be coming other parts of the Mainland, and can be delayed,  the Hawaiian Airlines flights and some extent Alaska Airlines, park over night after arriving from the islands and then return the next morning. You said you have a credit with Hawaiian,  a nice flight out of SAN, so good choice.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, milolii said:

This post is regarding airfare and flights from CA.  We owned a vacation home for 10 years on the Big Island. We flew over about three times a year.  All airlines, all times during the year, all five major airports on the Islands. As I remember, the airfares start to rise (in both directions) about Dec 11th or 12th and go back down about Jan 9th or 10th.  If you can,  check the fares before your cruise booking. You should see those fares appear in another four to six weeks or so. Of course anything can be different now. And the closer you get to the holiday, the higher. 

Although flights from LAX or SFO on the major carriers may indeed be coming other parts of the Mainland, and can be delayed,  the Hawaiian Airlines flights and some extent Alaska Airlines, park over night after arriving from the islands and then return the next morning. You said you have a credit with Hawaiian,  a nice flight out of SAN, so good choice.  

Lucky you, milolii, having a home in the islands!  We love Hawaiian Airlines, but I didn't know that they park their planes overnight before the next morning flight, which makes them even a better choice.  We had flown American before, which is usually our first choice on the mainland, but their service to Hawaii just doesn't compare to Hawaiian; who also has great flight times to pick from.  Once we flew with Hawaiian, we were spoiled for life, and it's great that they fly out of San Diego non-stop.  I appreciate your insight & your reassurance about our airline of choice.  Hope you're enjoying this holiday season!

I have never been on the POA (It’s on my bucket list) but I have been on several Christmas cruises and a couple of New Years ones on different cruise lines. All the ships have been very festive with decorations, gingerbread houses, holiday programs, etc. On NCL ships, I have noticed that on the mega ships that I have taken during Christmas (the EPIC and the Joy) many activities were in the Atrium which many times is too crowded. On the Dream and Pearl, the activities were more distributed in different areas of the ship, 

I didn’t have any problems making reservations for Specialty Dining on the Epic but it was a little bit of a challenge on the Joy. We couldn’t get reservations for 2 of the days so we went early and waited until they found a place for us.

8 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

I have never been on the POA (It’s on my bucket list) but I have been on several Christmas cruises and a couple of New Years ones on different cruise lines. All the ships have been very festive with decorations, gingerbread houses, holiday programs, etc. On NCL ships, I have noticed that on the mega ships that I have taken during Christmas (the EPIC and the Joy) many activities were in the Atrium which many times is too crowded. On the Dream and Pearl, the activities were more distributed in different areas of the ship, 

I didn’t have any problems making reservations for Specialty Dining on the Epic but it was a little bit of a challenge on the Joy. We couldn’t get reservations for 2 of the days so we went early and waited until they found a place for us.

Lucky you, Viajera7, to have been on so many Christmas & New Year's cruises!  I know that we would love all of the decorations & festivities, but I think we've decided to cruise a couple of weeks before Christmas as other cruisers have said that the ship will be decked out but hotels & airfare will be cheaper & it will also be less crowded.  Thanks so much for your input, and you will love the POA when you're ready!

• 5 weeks later...

When cruising around Xmas, is it possible to just enjoy it as a cruise, or is it effectively a 'Christmas themed cruise' regardless of why you're there?

I don't celebrate Christmas, but I often have time off around then, so it's something I"ve always wondered.

Edited by Named-Tawny

One thing. You don't get a traditional Christmas dinner you know like Roast Turkey and all the trimmings and Christmas Pudding at least not that I can remember seeing on the Gem in 2017. I am surprised O Sheehans didn't put it on for Christmas day to be fair as they are supposed to have that whole irish thing going on.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

When cruising around Xmas, is it possible to just enjoy it as a cruise, or is it effectively a 'Christmas themed cruise' regardless of why you're there?

I don't celebrate Christmas, but I often have time off around then, so it's something I"ve always wondered.

It would be pretty hard to enjoy it as a regular cruise because of all the special Christmas events on the program, the decorations, and families doing christmasey things. Even the corridors had sombre Christmas music playing as I went back to my cabin on Christmas Eve. 

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

One thing. You don't get a traditional Christmas dinner you know like Roast Turkey and all the trimmings and Christmas Pudding at least not that I can remember seeing on the Gem in 2017. I am surprised O Sheehans didn't put it on for Christmas day to be fair as they are supposed to have that whole irish thing going on.

The Buffet has traditional Christmas dinner and it’s very good

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Even the corridors had sombre Christmas music playing as I went back to my cabin on Christmas Eve

The corridors do but they play normal music in the club and the performers do normal stuff. Eating places are very busy. And it does not feel like Christmas. Not at all.

We are booked on that exact cruise (PoA, Dec 25 2021) and we booked a suite to help avoid some of the crowding.  We’ve done that at our pre-cruise hotel, too. It’s our wedding anniversary that week, so we often end up on Xmas/NYE cruises.  It’s busy, yeah, but as a teacher (now retired) we spent decades only being able to vacation on busy school breaks, so we’re used to it.  

We really find that getting the extra private/personal space helps, so that if the crowds become annoying we have someplace nice to retreat to. And we find that the concierge to get you on/off the ship without lines, saving a seat for you in shows, etc. and a butler to bring you snacks and free room service, is worth it during peak travel weeks, even on a port intensive trip like the PoA.

Editing to add that the best thing about cruising over Xmas is avoiding Xmas dinner at my MIL’s house...

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1